PDA

View Full Version : Rob Mackowiak

sox1970
01-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Is it just me, or does it feel like Rob Mackowiak has no place on this team--especially if Pods comes around and Erstad has a good spring.

Hall is the catcher, Ozuna plays 3rd and left, Cintron is in the middle infield, Erstad will be in LF, CF, and 1B, and Sweeney would come up if Dye got hurt.

I don't dislike Mackowiak, I just don't see where his AB's are coming from this year.

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Is it just me, or does it feel like Rob Mackowiak has no place on this team--especially if Pods comes around and Erstad has a good spring.

Hall is the catcher, Ozuna plays 3rd and left, Cintron is in the middle infield, Erstad will be in LF, CF, and 1B, and Sweeney would come up if Dye got hurt.

I don't dislike Mackowiak, I just don't see where his AB's are coming from this year.

Mackowiak can play all these positions except catcher. He certainly still has a place on this team.

MarySwiss
01-24-2007, 07:48 PM

It's just you. :wink:

Seriously, I think Rob will see plenty of action. It's unfortunate that he spent so much time in CF last year, but as a back-up infielder, he's well worth keeping.

AJ Hellraiser
01-24-2007, 07:49 PM
I might agree with you until the new Pods' injury.... I don't think Pods will have much to do with this team anymore... as i stated in a prior post, he's getting older (31 in March).... he relies solely on his legs and his legs have sustained multiple injuries/surgeries since mid-2005... I hope I'm wrong but I'm bracing for the worst... and should the worst happen, Mack becomes a big part of this team

soxfanatlanta
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I might agree with you until the new Pods' injury.... I don't think Pods will have much to do with this team anymore... as i stated in a prior post, he's getting older (31 in March).... he relies solely on his legs and his legs have sustained multiple injuries/surgeries since mid-2005... I hope I'm wrong but I'm bracing for the worst... and should the worst happen, Mack becomes a big part of this team

He is not suited at being a regular starter, IMO; with the signing of Erstad, he will get plenty of playing time in LF/infield as a backup. I agree with INE: he is will be a very useful engine.

oeo
01-24-2007, 08:06 PM

Rob can play the corners of the outfield, 3B, and 1B if needed. He's also our emergency catcher. How is he not valuable?

I think Gload got more support and all he could play was 1B.

chisoxmike
01-24-2007, 08:12 PM

Yes, it is just you. Ozuna is just as bad at LF than Pods is. Mackowiak will (hopefully) platoon 3B when Crede has back problems. He's also a good bat off the bench when needed to pinch hit.

gobears1987
01-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, it is just you. Ozuna is just as bad at LF than Pods is. Mackowiak will (hopefully) platoon 3B when Crede has back problems. He's also a good bat off the bench when needed to pinch hit.
As much as I would like the idea of having someone platoon with Crede for the sake of saving his back, wouldn't Fields be the more logical choice?

That being said, Mack definitely has a place on the team, just as long as Ozzie doesn't do something retarded like put him in CF.

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
He is a very valuable backup to the White Sox

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Mackowiak can play all these positions except catcher and CF. He certainly still has a place on this team.

Agreed.

itsnotrequired
01-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Agreed.

Mackowiak can most certainly play backup center fielder.

chaerulez
01-25-2007, 11:06 AM
All the Erstad signing does is prevent Mackowiak from playing CF and 1B as often as he did last year. Mack will still play a lot of corner OF and 3B. We know Ozzie rests his starters more than the average manager. There will be plently of playing time for Ozuna, Cintron (if he isn't the starter), Mackowiak and Erstad.

esbrechtel
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
pinch hitting I will agree with also keep in mind he may not be superfast but I think he is the smartest baserunner on the team...

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Mackowiak can most certainly play backup center fielder.

He can play CF in the same way that Cliff Politte could pitch.

White Sox Randy
01-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Considering the Sox probably will be lucky to get a full season out of Pods/Erstad combined, they better hold onto Mack.

itsnotrequired
01-25-2007, 11:41 AM
He can play CF in the same way that Cliff Politte could pitch.

Mackowiak was far more effective as a center fielder than Politte was as a pitcher. Mackowiak should not be starting in center field but he can fill in as an adequate backup. Who on last year's team would you have liked to see in center if not Anderson?

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 12:05 PM
Mackowiak was far more effective as a center fielder than Politte was as a pitcher. Mackowiak should not be starting in center field but he can fill in as an adequate backup. Who on last year's team would you have liked to see in center if not Anderson?

First things first, I wanted to see Anderson play everyday last year unless he was unable to walk or get out of his bed, because I could think of at least 5-8 games that screwed up the SOX season and two that burst in my head:

1.) Game 3 of SOX vs. Scrubs- Cotts get Barrett to hit a flyball in deep right CF that mack misplays which ultimately costs the SOX the game.

2.) The Monroe slam game against the Tigers- The pitch before the slam, he misplays a short fly to CF which extends the inning leading to Vazquez giving up the slam.

Anyway back to your qusetion, now I know I would probably get ripped to pieces for this but honestly, I would have rather seen the SOX call up Owens to take Gloads spot on the bench during the '06 campaign, because he's not going to be a starter but at least he could have outperformed Mack-o-Wack in CF batting 9th. It pains me to say that because I thought that Mac would be able to handle the position adequately which he failed to do.

INSox56
01-25-2007, 12:24 PM
As much as I would like the idea of having someone platoon with Crede for the sake of saving his back, wouldn't Fields be the more logical choice?

No, a prospect like that you want to have constant playing time to improve. Not just spot chances to start here and there and no consistent ABs

gobears1987
01-25-2007, 01:09 PM
No, a prospect like that you want to have constant playing time to improve. Not just spot chances to start here and there and no consistent ABs
Are they going to turn Fields into a corner outfielder or are they going to let Crede walk via free agency?

INSox56
01-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Are they going to turn Fields into a corner outfielder or are they going to let Crede walk via free agency?

I don't think they're quite sure of that yet. If they were sure of that situation, I'm sure they would have tried a little harder to trade him before he becomes just a one year rental with a possible high price tag after that year.

KyWhiSoxFan
01-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure why Mackowiak gets all this love. Yeah, he can play multiple positions. But not very well. He's a jack of all trades but good at none. And at bat, how many big hits did he ever get all year?

If he were not on the team, I wouldn't miss him at all.

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure why Mackowiak gets all this love. Yeah, he can play multiple positions. But not very well. He's a jack of all trades but good at none. And at bat, how many big hits did he ever get all year?

If he were not on the team, I wouldn't miss him at all.

He did have that pinch hit 2 Run HR against the A's with closer Huston Street on the mound.

He also is a Chicagoland product, Oak Lawn to be exact.

Save McCuddy's
01-25-2007, 01:46 PM

You are not alone in this opinion. I don't want to speak for Rob, but he might agree with you as well as me. I thought he was superfluous before Erstad.

White Sox Randy
01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I think the Sox consider Mack. to be Crede's main backup. Also, now he's really the main"power" bat off the bench. That's kinda sad.

champagne030
01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
1.) Game 3 of SOX vs. Scrubs- Cotts get Barrett to hit a flyball in deep right CF that mack misplays which ultimately costs the SOX the game.

2.) The Monroe slam game against the Tigers- The pitch before the slam, he misplays a short fly to CF which extends the inning leading to Vazquez giving up the slam.

The list could go on and on and on......After weeks of watching routine pop flies fall in front of him he (Ozzie?) decides to play A LOT more shallow. Low and behold I get to see a few fly balls land 10 feet in front of the track before someone told him they'd rather have the bloop single instead of the lazy fly triple.

I assume Mack will take the AB's that Gload had last season. Mack isn't the first reserve at any position other than RF (which hopefully means very little playing time) and is probably the 25th man, although he's at least serviceable on a limited basis at the corners of the IF and OF. Four positions and a pretty good LH bat to boot deserves a spot, but the Sox probably expected more when paying him $2.75M this season, although they need to take the blame too for thinking he could backup BA.

itsnotrequired
01-25-2007, 02:28 PM
The list could go on and on and on......After weeks of watching routine pop flies fall in front of him he (Ozzie?) decides to play A LOT more shallow. Low and behold I get to see a few fly balls land 10 feet in front of the track before someone told him they'd rather have the bloop single instead of the lazy fly triple.

I assume Mack will take the AB's that Gload had last season. Mack isn't the first reserve at any position other than RF (which hopefully means very little playing time) and is probably the 25th man, although he's at least serviceable on a limited basis at the corners of the IF and OF. Four positions and a pretty good LH bat to boot deserves a spot, but the Sox probably expected more when paying him $2.75M this season, although they need to take the blame too for thinking he could backup BA.

But he can BACKUP Anderson. The problem was he was starting far too often. In management's eyes, Anderson's defensive play didn't make up for his plate performance. I personally feel they should have kept Anderson out there a lot more often. Still, the question remains as to who would have played backup center last season if not Mackowiak? Pods? Then you got Ozuna in left. Dye? He isn't a center fielder. And now you're stuck with Ozuna or Gload in right.

oeo
01-25-2007, 02:32 PM
I think the Sox consider Mack. to be Crede's main backup. Also, now he's really the main"power" bat off the bench. That's kinda sad.

What do you mean, "now"? Ross Gload didn't supply any power...he's the only one that's not returning (and Widger/Sandy who didn't supply any either...we'll get more from Hall).

champagne030
01-25-2007, 02:57 PM
But he can BACKUP Anderson. The problem was he was starting far too often. In management's eyes, Anderson's defensive play didn't make up for his plate performance. I personally feel they should have kept Anderson out there a lot more often. Still, the question remains as to who would have played backup center last season if not Mackowiak? Pods? Then you got Ozuna in left. Dye? He isn't a center fielder. And now you're stuck with Ozuna or Gload in right.

My idea of a backup isn't Ozuna or Mack catching if Hall and AJ were somehow unavailable. Yes, for an inning or two in an emergency then Mack can be a "CF'er". I too wanted BA playing, .170 average and all. The Sox made the mistake thinking that Mack could backup CF, either in case of injury or performance. He couldn't and we had nobody available in the minors at that point of the season either. The Sox left themselves no options other than Mack or a trade last season.

Huisj
01-25-2007, 03:09 PM

Give Cliff Politte a break. Yes, he was awful last year, but it was pretty obvious his arm wasn't ok right from the beginning of the season. It just took until he was released for it to finally be let out for sure that he was hurt.

Have people forgotten that he was a huge part of the good bullpen in 2005? If Mackowiac could play center the way Politte pitched in '05, he'd be a pretty darn good center fielder.

And don't read this as an I-love-Cliff-Politte-and-think-we-should-get-him-back post. I just think he deserves a little more respect from the fans of the team for whom he pitched his butt off in 2005.

soxinem1
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Not only can he play 2B and 3B, he is passable in LF and RF. Remember, Dye has some injury issues just prior to his White Sox days, they can return.......

Save McCuddy's
01-25-2007, 03:34 PM

True , true.

But, Cintron is just as capable and likely the preferrable choice for spot starts while Ozuna is cheaper and just as versatile. And, if Crede were to go down for an extended period, this year Fields would be most likely to replace him.

itsnotrequired
01-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Give Cliff Politte a break. Yes, he was awful last year, but it was pretty obvious his arm wasn't ok right from the beginning of the season. It just took until he was released for it to finally be let out for sure that he was hurt.

Have people forgotten that he was a huge part of the good bullpen in 2005? If Mackowiac could play center the way Politte pitched in '05, he'd be a pretty darn good center fielder.

And don't read this as an I-love-Cliff-Politte-and-think-we-should-get-him-back post. I just think he deserves a little more respect from the fans of the team for whom he pitched his butt off in 2005.

I wasn't ragging on Politte. My comment was simply that Mackowiak played a better center field last year than Politte played as a reliever. Injury or not, it is a true statement but to suggest Mackowiak had a "Politte-esque perfomance" is over the top. I have no problems with Politte but health issues forced him off the team. I'll never forget the role he played in 2005 but as a wise man once said...

:iron

"You live in the past, you die in the past."

Save McCuddy's
01-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Let there be no slamming of Mackowiak. The pride and joy of Oak Lawn gave us no less than anyone should have expected of him -- and his gutsy if undermanned efforts to play center should be commended. The fault lies with KW if anywhere, because Rob just simply isn't the most efficient use of a roster spot for us. That being said, unless Herm reinvents Erstad's athleticism, Darren's not much of an upgrade at this point.

A. Cavatica
01-26-2007, 12:41 AM
On paper, Mackowiak is the logical choice to play left and lead off against RHP while Pods is hurt. He can field the position adequately and has a league-average bat.

I wish I felt better about making that statement.

Navarro's Talent
01-26-2007, 01:33 AM
A team can never have enough good bench players, so I see no reason the Sox would want to get rid of Mack. He can hit well and his defense is great at most of the positions he plays. Plus, as others have stated, he's even more viable now that Pods might be gone for a bit.

ChiTownTrojan
01-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Mack is the best offensive player we've got on the bench. He can work his way into the lineup at any number of positions, as well as pinch hit. He'll get at least 250 AB's this season, maybe more assuming Pods starts the season on the DL.

ChiTownTrojan
01-26-2007, 01:57 AM
I wasn't ragging on Politte. My comment was simply that Mackowiak played a better center field last year than Politte played as a reliever. Injury or not, it is a true statement but to suggest Mackowiak had a "Politte-esque perfomance" is over the top. I have no problems with Politte but health issues forced him off the team. I'll never forget the role he played in 2005 but as a wise man once said...

:iron

"You live in the past, you die in the past."
"I don't believe in the past, I think the past is for cowards....."

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 04:46 AM
Let there be no slamming of Mackowiak. The pride and joy of Oak Lawn gave us no less than anyone should have expected of him -- and his gutsy if undermanned efforts to play center should be commended. The fault lies with KW if anywhere, because Rob just simply isn't the most efficient use of a roster spot for us.

People forget that he was brought in to spell Crede not BA! Mack could be a good backup in LF, RF, 3B, 2B, and 1B. Knowing how Ozzie like to use his bench, he will get playing time even if he's played logically.

JB98
01-26-2007, 07:08 PM
What if Pods has injury trouble all year and Anderson continues to struggle? In that scenario, Mack is our LF with Erstad in CF.

Rob could end up being a very valuable part of our team. Frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in either Pods or Anderson, so I'm very happy to have a reliable veteran like Rob around. Ditto Erstad.

One of the major problems last year was not having a fall back option for struggling players in LF and CF. Kenny has addressed that with the signing of Erstad. That move also keeps Mack out of CF and at one of the corner positions where he belongs. I'm pleased about that.

IndianWhiteSox
01-27-2007, 08:32 AM
What if Pods has injury trouble all year and Anderson continues to struggle? In that scenario, Mack is our LF with Erstad in CF.

Rob could end up being a very valuable part of our team. Frankly, I don't have a lot of confidence in either Pods or Anderson, so I'm very happy to have a reliable veteran like Rob around. Ditto Erstad.

One of the major problems last year was not having a fall back option for struggling players in LF and CF. Kenny has addressed that with the signing of Erstad. That move also keeps Mack out of CF and at one of the corner positions where he belongs. I'm pleased about that.

But then what about WhiteSoxRandy's favorite outfielder Jock Jones who should be everyday LF to replace Pods and go 30/30 leading off?
:redneck