PDA

View Full Version : Our OF Situation...

JohnTucker0814
01-24-2007, 01:03 PM
I may be in the minority here, but maybe, just maybe this Podsednik injury is a good thing for the overall of our ballclub. Hear me out... if Pod's is healthy he is our starting LF and with Anderson being young and not having the best year last year, having Erstad breathing down your throat all spring may make Anderson uptight & nervous.

Now, with Pods out for maybe the first month, this gives Ozzie the chance to move Erstad in at LF and let Anderson have the first month of the season to play ball...

if Anderson does not do well the first month, we move Erstad to CF and Pods is in at LF...

if Anderson is playing well, Erstad is moved to 4th OF and Pods plays LF giving us Erstad to back him up if he falters...

jenn2080
01-24-2007, 01:06 PM
I agree. I have a lot of faith in Brian though and I do not think that he has much to worry about. I think if he could improve at the plate then he will be fine.

Jerko
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
I may be in the minority here, but maybe, just maybe this Podsednik injury is a good thing for the overall of our ballclub. Hear me out... if Pod's is healthy he is our starting LF and with Anderson being young and not having the best year last year, having Erstad breathing down your throat all spring may make Anderson uptight & nervous.

Now, with Pods out for maybe the first month, this gives Ozzie the chance to move Erstad in at LF and let Anderson have the first month of the season to play ball...

if Anderson does not do well the first month, we move Erstad to CF and Pods is in at LF...

if Anderson is playing well, Erstad is moved to 4th OF and Pods plays LF giving us Erstad to back him up if he falters...

That's all true, but I don't want to come out of April with 4 wins. We play Cleveland, Minny, Detroit, Oakland, Texas, and the Angels in this first month.

JohnTucker0814
01-24-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree. I have a lot of faith in Brian though and I do not think that he has much to worry about. I think if he could improve at the plate then he will be fine.

I agree, I like Brian a lot and he definately needs a chance... but we saw this with Rowand when he first came up... remember... he was part time starter one year and the next he was supposed to be our "man"... then we signed Kenny Lofton (announced at SoxFest)

IndianWhiteSox
01-24-2007, 01:33 PM
People don't realize how big this Ernstad signing really is. When we had Mack in CF, we lost about 5-8 games just like that which might have been enough to win the division, so yeah its a lot better than last year's. Now that we have Ernstad, if, God Forbid Anderson has another slump then at least we don't have to see bad D in CF.

soxfan123
01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Wouldn't you say though that BA doesn't need any more motivation? I agree with what you're saying but I would say that he is well aware of his situation and knows he must perform this year. I'm not sure how much Erstad's presence will help him because it wasn't like he would be surprised by the move.

SCarolina_Ron
01-24-2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry guys, but I just don't accept the idea that Erstad is fast enough to be a CF'r. I see him as a back-up for Pods, Jermaine, and Konerko at the most. I agree that Brian should be better and Erstad can help "mentor" him.

01-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Erstad is NOT any worse than Mack was in CF so it is an upgrade.

He isnt going to play CF anyways. Pods wont be ready by opening day I guarantee.

SCarolina_Ron
01-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Erstad is NOT any worse than Mack was in CF so it is an upgrade.

He isnt going to play CF anyways. Pods wont be ready by opening day I guarantee.

I don't disagree. I just don't think he represents some major motivation for BA (who should be well-motivated anyway).

01-24-2007, 01:55 PM
I don't disagree. I just don't think he represents some major motivation for BA (who should be well-motivated anyway).

Goldie-lox better be!

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Sorry guys, but I just don't accept the idea that Erstad is fast enough to be a CF'r. I see him as a back-up for Pods, Jermaine, and Konerko at the most. I agree that Brian should be better and Erstad can help "mentor" him.
He probably doesn't have enough left anymore to be the everyday CF, but he's more than adquate as a backup. Remember, that is the role we reserved for Mackoviak last year. Erstad is definitely a step up defensively. After Pods gets back, I think Erstad will see more time in CF than anywhere else, for two reasons:

1. We don't have any other options there, unlike LF (Mack, Ozuna, Sweeney/Fields?)
2. Dye and Konerko will be playing almost every day at RF and 1B.

When DE does play in left, I think it will be as a defensive replacement to Pods. Before Pods returns from injury, of course, DE will get his share of time in left.

FedEx227
01-24-2007, 02:21 PM

You don't need blazing speed to be a CF. You need to be able to read a ball off the bat and have a strong arm. With that being said, it is easier for speedier guys to do the normal jobs of a CFer, but someone like Erstad can definitely do it. Do I want him too? Not especially.

WhiteSox5187
01-24-2007, 02:22 PM
If Anderson isn't motiviated, he should be traded because I don't want that kind of player on our team and I'm hard pressed to think of any team who would want him. If you're a major leaguer, you HAVE to be motivated. And I'm sure BA is.

I think this move really shores up our outfield. Anderson and Dye are sound defensively and Pods is in a position where he can't do any serious damage (imagine him in Center). Erstad, a gold glover, is a great backup. Ya can stick him in left where he'll be great or at the very least he is better than Mackowiak and can actually play CF. Mackowiak's defense cost about ten games last year. With Erstad, that won't happen.

I think BA is going to be a lot better at the plate - I'm not expecting him to hit .300, but somewhere around .250-.275 which is a lot of production coming from that nine spot. I'm hoping that Pods will recover fully from this injury and manage to avoid any other injuries this year and return to his '05 form. But, even if he doesn't we have Erstad to take his place. I'm not so sure Erstad would be a good leadoff guy, but that's a problem we can solve in ST.

I think our remaining question marks are: Who is our fifth starter? What's going to happen at SS?

Jjav829
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM

While I agree BA shouldn't need any motivation, I do think this signing kind of sends a message to him that he won't be handed any playing time this year.

IMO, only Dye has a secure job in the outfield. Right field is his. As for center and left, if I'm Ozzie, I open them both up to competition. Throw BA, Sweeney, Owens, Erstad, Terrero and even Fields out there and say, "Show me what you got." Let them all compete and earn their playing time.

maurice
01-24-2007, 02:46 PM
This is an interesting thread.

Erstad has lost a step, but he's still gotta be better than Podsednik, Mackowiak, and Ozuna in the OF. The extra speed doesn't help if you start off by running in the wrong direction.

It looks like we'll start the year with an OF of Erstad - Anderson - Dye. That's vastly superior defensively to an OF of Podsednik - Mackowiak - Dye, and it may be pretty close offensively as well.

The bottom line is that Erstad essentially cost nothing, and he's a better option as a backup OF than Mackowiak, Ozuna, and Gload, since he's a credible CF. The other candidates (Terrero, Sweeney, Owens, and Fields) are better suited for AAA. Let's just keep our fingers crossed and hope that Ozzie uses these guys appropriately.

IndianWhiteSox
01-24-2007, 03:01 PM
What I don't understand is that why everyone claims this move bringing in Erstad was to motivate BA when really it should have just fortify the bench. If anything, MacCarthy getting traded and Terrero being signed as a young replacement along with Sweeney and Owens should be more of motivation for BA.

twsoxfan5
01-24-2007, 03:22 PM
A lot of people are talking about Erstad like he is an old man. He is only 32 and is a career 286 hitter with 2 gold gloves. I know that he is coming off surgery but I still think he will end up being a starter on this team. As much as Brian has something to prove so does Darin and I think he is going to be as motivated as anyone to be a starter again.

Grzegorz
01-24-2007, 09:21 PM
Erstad came into the league with excellent speed. The last few years have robbed him of some of that speed but when healthy he is capable of playing a good CF. He'll be fine in a backup role.

Get well soon Pods...

ondafarm
01-24-2007, 10:29 PM
Bringing in guys to motivate a player almost never works. You motivate yourself or nothing does. I don't know any successful manager who had more than two or three spots open for competition: the last couple spots on the bench or a spot in the pen, that's all. Motivating your starting CF with fear sounds conterproductive to me.

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Bringing in guys to motivate a player almost never works. You motivate yourself or nothing does. I don't know any successful manager who had more than two or three spots open for competition: the last couple spots on the bench or a spot in the pen, that's all. Motivating your starting CF with fear sounds conterproductive to me.

We'll said:thumbsup: