PDA

View Full Version : Restriction of team debt

Paulwny
03-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Bud to enforce 1980's rule.
Teams could lose tv revenue if they fail to comply

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/wire/sns-ap-bbo-labor0312mar12.story?coll=sns%2Dap%2Dbaseball%2Dhe adlines

nut_stock
03-12-2002, 08:52 PM
"In other news, Chicago Cubs president Andy MacPhail was picked by Selig to join the owners' negotiating committee, which already includes Manfred, new chief operating officer Bob DuPuy and outside lawyer Howard Ganz. Selig said he also will add another club official to the committee."

Uhhhhhhhhhhh!!

duke of dorwood
03-12-2002, 09:00 PM
More slick stuff from Bud "Bert Weinman" Selig. Battle lines are really being drawn for the end of this season. What will look bad is the fact it has not been enforced. What looks good is that it was already supported in court.

Cheryl
03-12-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
More slick stuff from Bud "Bert Weinman" Selig. Battle lines are really being drawn for the end of this season. What will look bad is the fact it has not been enforced. What looks good is that it was already supported in court.

Can someone explain why this is going to pi$$ the union off? I know it will, I'm sure that was Bud's intent. But I don't understand why.

Daver
03-12-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl

Can someone explain why this is going to pi$$ the union off? I know it will, I'm sure that was Bud's intent. But I don't understand why.

By enforcing this Bud means the to limit the teams ability to make payroll,meaning they can only pay what they have in the bank,per se,so it will eliminate a good number of teams from being a player in the FA market.The D'backs signed a lot of high dollar FA's,won a WS,but they are millions of dollars in the red,and have borrowed from the MLB collective fund to pay their salary,and deffered further millions on player contracts.This plan will eliminate the ability to do this,so the MLBPA will react against it because it is yet another way to limit the players possible income,by removing teams from the pool of those willing to deal with FA's shrinks the possible income of the players.

Hope this helped clear it up.

Cheryl
03-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Thanks Daver.

What does Bud have against the Dbacks, anyway?

Daver
03-12-2002, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Cheryl
Thanks Daver.

What does Bud have against the Dbacks, anyway?

The Spineless Wonder has nothing against the D'backs,he is trying,in a stupid and futile way,to fight the MLBPA with whatever means he can that will not draw interest from the courts,MLB has drawn an agreement from the court in the past that they can pull this off,so Bud,in his infinate wisdom,thinks he can all of a sudden enforce it without the MLBPA raising an objection.

Bmr31
03-12-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by daver

The Spineless Wonder has nothing against the D'backs,he is trying,in a stupid and futile way,to fight the MLBPA with whatever means he can that will not draw interest from the courts,MLB has drawn an agreement from the court in the past that they can pull this off,so Bud,in his infinate wisdom,thinks he can all of a sudden enforce it without the MLBPA raising an objection.

come on now, do you honestly think hes an idiot. He didnt achieve his position by being an idiot. He is trying to stop teams from buying championships, and rightly so...

Bmr31
03-12-2002, 10:24 PM

instead of calling an obviously intelligent man an idiot, maybe you should offer your own suggestion...

Daver
03-12-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Bmr31

instead of calling an obviously intelligent man an idiot, maybe you should offer your own suggestion...

Read my column,I do it on a weekly basis.You do know where the main page is right?

pissonthecubs
03-12-2002, 10:51 PM
i'm still in awe of how a team owner can go and "sell" his shares of his team to his daughter and become the head of baseball overnight. bud selig is a sum-bag, and hasn't been anything more to me since then. :julie

pearso66
03-12-2002, 11:10 PM
this doesnt prevent teams from buying championships, well it does in a sense, for the yankee's, this is basically guaranteeing that they will win almost every year, if they are gonna pull something like this off, put a salary cap on baseball, id be in support of that

Bmr31
03-12-2002, 11:20 PM

Read my column,I do it on a weekly basis.You do know where the main page is right?

i dont read the articles on this site and im guessing many others dont either...

kermittheefrog
03-12-2002, 11:30 PM
I'd have to say any man who spends his best efforts demarketing his own product in an attempt to screw the players union can easily be called an idiot. And can you honestly believe this claim that the D-Backs are deep in the red? Between the fact that after they layed off a ton of employees last year they signed Mark Grace and their World Series win which is insanely lucrative this is a team clearly making money like almost every other baseball club.

FarWestChicago
03-13-2002, 12:45 AM

i dont read the articles on this site and im guessing many others dont either... And you would be wrong.

ma-gaga
03-13-2002, 09:10 AM
i dont read the articles on this site and im guessing many others dont either...

Very wrong.

Here's what baseball prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20020313daily.shtml) had to say. They are a little anti-bud to say the least.

:) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cheryl
03-13-2002, 03:17 PM

I read them. I never used to read the messages here, just the articles. I just have a lot of time to kill at work lately, so I've been reading the boards too.