PDA

View Full Version : Rupert Murdoch Interested in TribCo?

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Apparently, Rupert Murdoch is interested (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16776157/) in pursuing Tribune Company. He apparently wants a piece of TribCo-owned Newsday, a New York daily. So as not to send this thread you know where, please limit any comment you may have on this to the general business of media and whatever impact this may have on the Chicago National League Ballclub, Inc. We all know about assets Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation owns and what they are known for. We need not discuss that in this thread.

ondafarm
01-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Whatever else you want to say about Rupert Murdoch, he has built a media empire (or two) from virtually nothing. Ted Turner did the same and perhaps more original, but Murdoch did just as well.

Fenway
01-24-2007, 12:06 AM
Whatever else you want to say about Rupert Murdoch, he has built a media empire (or two) from virtually nothing. Ted Turner did the same and perhaps more original, but Murdoch did just as well.

The only city Murdoch has ever failed in was Chicago.

I suspect that eats at him

ondafarm
01-24-2007, 03:47 AM
I'm curious. If he did reach a deal with the Tribune Corp but the major league owners didn't approve of him, do you think they could block it or just force him to sell the Flubs?

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2007, 07:29 AM
It looks like Murdoch is more interested in coming in with the Chandlers as a minority partner in their bid for Tribune Company. He would not have controlling interest in the company, including the Cubs franchise.

Kogs35
01-24-2007, 08:21 AM
IIRC didn't he just sell the dodgers??? if anything i wouldn't think he would want the cubs.

Hitmen77
01-24-2007, 08:28 AM

As much as I hate the Tribune, I really don't want to see them turned into trash by Murdoch. I don't care how many billions he has.

Viva Medias B's
01-24-2007, 08:50 AM
As much as I hate the Tribune, I really don't want to see them turned into trash by Murdoch. I don't care how many billions he has.

That probably would not happen since Murdoch would not have controlling interest in the company.

ewokpelts
01-24-2007, 08:57 AM
I'm curious. If he did reach a deal with the Tribune Corp but the major league owners didn't approve of him, do you think they could block it or just force him to sell the Flubs?why would they reject him? they let him broadcast game son his network, and are close to sign a multi-year deal to have out of market games exclusivelt on his satelite service

Fenway
01-24-2007, 09:18 AM

Murdoch hasn't trashed The Times of London....he is not a fool

lumpyspun
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM
Maybe someday when I log onto Chicago Tribune online I will be redirected to myspace...

tebman
01-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Murdoch is only interested in making money. That's why he's always operated his newspapers, TV, movie, and internet businesses the way he has. Sure, the tastefulness quotient of his major properties has been debated for a long time, but he doesn't care -- they make big money.

Like Fenway said, he hasn't turned the Times of London into a clone of the New York Post, and that's because it's making money. He's savvy enough to keep a good engine running. The Tribune Company probably holds the same attraction to him because despite it's stock-price issues, it's a profitable outfit.

He might start out with a minority interest, but he's not the kind of guy who sits still for long. If Murdoch gets his foot in the door at the Tribune, I'd bet he'd be operating it eventually. Be careful what we wish for. :tongue:

tebman
01-26-2007, 08:28 AM
Neil Steinberg's column (http://www.suntimes.com/news/steinberg/230569,CST-NWS-stein26.article) in today's Sun-Times mentions Murdoch's interest in the Tribune Company. I enjoy reading Steinberg, partly because he really, really doesn't like the Tribune and frequently calls it out on its pomposity and self-importance. His take on Murdoch is interesting.

But here's my favorite quote from the column. He said that even though he feels the way he does about the Tribune, the possibility of Murdoch running it would still sadden him:

[there would be] no smirching contemplation of how the silk-robed mandarins and swollen pooh-bahs who run the Trib will tremble with punctured superiority when a gang of Aussies roar up and begin plastering cheesecake photos on page three.

:rolling:

ondafarm
01-27-2007, 11:03 PM
I think there would be chnages, but I doubt Rupert Murdoch would run the Tribune into the ground. He's not really in that business and the guy isn't stupid. He might even return the Tribune more to its roots.