PDA

View Full Version : WSCR: Sox to sign Erstad, Pods to have groin surgery

Pages : [1] 2

JorgeFabregas
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Reported during the 3:30 pm update 1/23.

Hopefully Pods will regain the step he's lost.

Heffalump
01-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Per the most recent news update..........No other info

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Wow wow wee wa!!

I didn't see this coming.

AuroraSoxFan
01-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Is Ertsad a serviceable leadoff hitter in case Pods is not ready to go by opening day? Don't know a whole lot about him except that he was a punter for the Huskers football team.

crazyozzie02
01-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Is Ertsad a serviceable leadoff hitter in case Pods is not ready to go by opening day? Don't know a whole lot about him except that he was a punter for the Huskers football team.

he wont be the leadoff hitter. He is too slow, but he could be good in the lower half of the order

The Critic
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't think Erstad's a leadoff hitter at this stage of his career, if he ever was.
Does Iguchi leadoff now, I wonder?

chaotic8512
01-23-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm afraid to ask it, but who becomes the leadoff hitter?? :?:

Iguchi? Anderson? Paulie?

AuroraSoxFan
01-23-2007, 04:48 PM
he wont be the leadoff hitter. He is too slow, but he could be good in the lower half of the order

got ya. Anyone know what kind of surgery Pods has to have? Hope it is nothing that is going to sideline him for too long. Anyway, if he weren't ready to go come April 2nd, who would they put in at leadoff? Tad maybe? Any suggestions/ideas?

SABRSox
Erstad makes a pretty good 4th OF for us. Best part, we didn't have to trade Jon Garland to get him.

Sad

no

and I'm not sure who it would be either... :(:

soltrain21
01-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Hmmm....am I going to bat lead off?

crazyozzie02
01-23-2007, 04:50 PM
did they say how long pods is going to be out for? I really wouldnt want to see Gooch as the leadoff man. I dont think that he would be comfortable. Maybe Ozuna as a short-term answer

JoeyCora28
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
What little speed threat we did have is now gone...

I sure hope they work on bunting in ST...

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 04:51 PM
... Maybe Ozuna as a short-term answer

God no! Ozuna is worse in LF than Pods is.

crazyozzie02
01-23-2007, 04:52 PM
God no! Ozuna is worse in LF than Pods is.

i know. like i said, just for the short-term

caulfield12
01-23-2007, 04:53 PM
They might have to go with Jerry Owens until Pods is ready.

Or Mackowiak as leadoff hitter. Because if KW tried to go out NOW and acquire someone, he would have to pay through the teeth.

We might be lucky to get Figgins and someone else for Crede at that point.

AuroraSoxFan
01-23-2007, 04:54 PM
did they say how long pods is going to be out for? I really wouldnt want to see Gooch as the leadoff man. I dont think that he would be comfortable. Maybe Ozuna as a short-term answer

Ozuna has the speed for sure. He also has some fire and can create some hell for opposing teams. Not sure if they'd put him out in LF again though. Wish we had an easy answer on this one.

RoobarbPie
Anyone know the terms of the deal?

The Critic
I'd rather see Erstad in LF and Iguchi leading off than have Pablo in the outfield for any extended period.

Mickster

Stop.

PatK
Didn't Scott have to take a physical or something when the re-signed him?

I would think they would have checked him out beforehand.

01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Tommie Harris had groin surgery for the Bears in early Dec and is still on crutches

Mickster
01-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Tommie Harris had groin surgery for the Bears in early Dec and is still on crutches

Harris is a tad bit larger and heavier than Posd but I get your point.

CashMan
01-23-2007, 04:57 PM

I am pretty sure it was his hamstring.

CHISOXFAN13

Harris TORE his hamstrong. BIG difference.

crazyozzie02
Or Mackowiak as leadoff hitter. .

im going to pretend that you just didnt say that

Gammons Peter
01-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Why didnt he get his groin surgery in November

oeo
01-23-2007, 04:58 PM
I am pretty sure it was his hamstring.

It was his hamstring.

Back to Pods...why wasn't this done earlier in the offseason? This news blows.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Erstad is a good pick up if he can still play CF. My understanding was the Angels kept him at 1B to save him from injury. The White Sox will not have that concern as they will use him as much as they can in the OF. Assuming he is healthy enough to play CF (he only played 40 games last year), this is a good pick since it gives Ozzie a legitimate CF reserve and he can fill in for Podsednik until he is ready to play.

I'm sort of pissed about the Podsednik surgery report. Why did he / the team wait until a few weeks before Spring Training to do this? Perhaps they thought he could rehab it. Hopefully it is a minor procedure.

UPDATE: The Score announced the Podsednik surgery is for a groin injury suffered 4 years ago.

EMachine10
01-23-2007, 05:00 PM
i was really hoping we could stop bringing up figgins...:(:

CPditka
01-23-2007, 05:01 PM
I like the Erstad signing, however it is somewhat tainted by this Pods news. Need to hear more info before jumping to conclusions on the severity of that news.

soxrme
01-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Why didnt he get his groin surgery in November
My thoughts exactly, if he knew about it. Sure seemed like he hasn't had the speed. The Blackhawks (thats a hockey team somewhere) have a captain who has had groin problems for two years.

01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Harris TORE his hamstrong. BIG difference.

My bad on Harris....maybe this procedure is minor...we got 9 weeks before opening day.

Jjav829
01-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Baseball implications aside, Erstad has always been one of my favorite players for the way he plays the game.

I like this signing, as long as we're not going to rely on him to be our leadoff hitter if Pods misses significant time (though we don't currently have many others options). Erstad provides a solid 4th outfielder in case BA struggles. Erstad likely isn't the same quality defensive player he used to be in center after all the injuries, but he's still likely to be a better defender than Mackowiak out there, if for nothing more than his experience and knowledge of how to player center.

Welcome aboard, Ersty! (I predict that gets the same treatment as McCarthy's nickname by West within a week....hell, a week? Maybe a day. :smile:)

The Dude
01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Stop.

He'll never stop. Ignorance is his middle name!:redneck

I like this move. It probably isn't for too much $$ anyway and he's a proven vet with a solid glove and decent bat. :gulp:

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 05:04 PM
They might have to go with Jerry Owens until Pods is ready.

Or Mackowiak as leadoff hitter.

:bundy

Chisox003
01-23-2007, 05:05 PM
He doesn't need to be Willie Mays Hays out in center, he just needs to catch the damn ball, something Mack couldn't do last year.

I like this signing. Erstad is the definition of Grinder, something this team lacked in 2006. Good pickup.

Domeshot17
01-23-2007, 05:09 PM
does Ryan Sweeney have enough speed to lead off? He is fine defensive in LF, better hitter and more complete then Jerry Owens.

Luke
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
There's a few scenarios here:

He might have recently re-injured it training, lifting, sprinting. In which case they're treating it as soon as they can.

They might have tried to treat the injury conservatively, to which it didn't respond.

They might have missed the diagnosis.

It doesn't make sense that they would have known about it and opted to do nothing.

EMachine10
01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
sweeney has the speed, but doesn't need the added pressure. Maybe sometime down the road that could happen, but not now

Mickster
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
George Offman just reported on the Score's update that he's having surgery for a 4 year old injury. :?:

SoxSpeed22
01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
I like this signing. Erstad is the definition of Grinder, something this team lacked in 2006. Good pickup.More like something the team forgot about. As long as he plays serviceable. (Dare I say it? Timo.) Something else that might happen is, does this turn into something else? (trade) Just as long as it doesn't turn into an Adrian Griffin situation.
Also, if this injury was 4 years ago, why the hell is it only being addressed now? Unless it's scar tissue.

santo=dorf
01-23-2007, 05:13 PM
For anyone who thinks Erstad can lead off:

http://www.fangraphs.com/graphs/11_1BOF_season_full_1_20061001.png

How long is Pods going to be out? Did he scam the Sox of another $2.9 million?

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
George Offman just reported on the Score's update that he's having surgery for a 4 year old injury. :?:

Damn Podsednik. Why wasn't this taken care of already? Unreal, Somebody call the police! Somebody stole 2.9mil from the White Sox, I'm looking at you Scott Podsednik.

Something to ask KW this weekend...

oeo
01-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Pods has me worried now, regardless of how long he's out. I felt if he was healthy coming into Spring Training, he could get back to his 2005 form. I don't know about that anymore...it's starting to look like a 2006 repeat, already. Again, this news sucks.

santo=dorf
01-23-2007, 05:16 PM
As for this "grinder" talk, I'd take a player like Manny playing 75% ("being Manny") over an average/below average, injury-plagued player giving 110%.

Domeshot17
01-23-2007, 05:17 PM
maybe its a quick recovery surgery? I really know nothing about Groin Surgery, but maybe hes back by mid march?

MeteorsSox4367
01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
I like the pickup of Erstad as a fourth outfielder, backup to Paulie at first and lefty bat off the bench. As someone earlier mentioned, Erstad's a grinder-type player and should fit in well. And now that Gload is gone, the No. 17 will be filled again.

salty99
01-23-2007, 05:25 PM
Here is the link:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070123&content_id=1784822&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 05:25 PM
whitesox.com

Scott Podsednik, the team's left fielder and leadoff hitter brought back during the current offseason on a one-year, $2.9 million deal, will be out of action for the next six weeks after undergoing groin surgery on Tuesday. The problem stemmed from an injury four years ago with Milwaukee and not the groin injuries plaguing him the last two seasons.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070123&content_id=1784822&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

spiffie
01-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Sounds like he should be ready in time to be part of spring training, and should be fine for Opening Day. Get well soon Pods!

mjmcend
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
I like the deal if (as reported in the article on the White Sox website) is only a one year contract w/ an option.

thomas35forever
01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Six weeks should give Pods enough time to recover in time for Opening Day.

As for the Erstad signing, this is probably the first rumor I've heard about the Sox that's come true.

lakeviewsoxfan
01-23-2007, 05:31 PM
I like the Erstad signing IF he can stay healthy. We made be in alot of trouble if Pods is out for anytime. It seems like he fleeced the Sox out of 3MM.
We might have the slowest lineup in all of baseball without Pods.

rdivaldi
01-23-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the words "groin" and "surgery" used together makes me kinda squirmy in my chair. Is it possible to have a quick recovery from such a thing?

btrain929
01-23-2007, 05:36 PM
whitesox.com

MOD EDIT: Not only does my grammar need work, but I'm pretty tasteless.

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the words "groin" and "surgery" used together makes me kinda squirmy in my chair. Is it possible to have a quick recovery from such a thing?

Exactly! Which is why I am wondering, like many, why this couldn't be done a while ago, BEFORE he signed the 2.9mil.

skobabe8
01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
I just hope he (pods) doesnt try to come back too soon and have this frickin thing linger the whole frickin season.

soltrain21
01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
MOD EDIT: Don't quote the tasteless stuff, por favor.

wow.

cheeses_h_rice
01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
This reminds me of that year where Frank opted to have leg surgery just before Spring Training started.

What an idiot.

TheCommander
01-23-2007, 05:40 PM
My thoughts exactly, if he knew about it. Sure seemed like he hasn't had the speed. The Blackhawks (thats a hockey team somewhere) have a captain who has had groin problems for two years.

They also have an owner who is a pain in the groin,but that's another story, another thread. :D:

lakeviewsoxfan
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
MOD EDIT: Don't quote the tasteless stuff

:rolleyes::?::dtroll:

rdivaldi
01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Exactly! Which is why I am wondering, like many, why this couldn't be done a while ago, BEFORE he signed the 2.9mil.

Maybe this is a new injury, we all know who his wife is......
:wink:

Whitesox029
01-23-2007, 05:44 PM
This reminds me of that year where Frank opted to have leg surgery just before Spring Training started.

What an idiot.
There are almost six weeks until position players report as it is, and then another month until opening day. He should be fine.

Lip Man 1
01-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Perhaps Dr. Beckett can offer some insight.

To me given his history I would think the Sox would be VERY conservative with his recovery.

That's six weeks just to heal but you have to add in time get in baseball shape, to start running again and then to start seeing game action.

Like Merkin said in the story no guarantees he's ready by opening day.

I think he'll probably be sent to extended spring training and be ready to go on May 1st.

We'll see.

Lip

thomas35forever
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe this is a new injury, we all know who his wife is......
:wink:
Woah...nobody wants to be shoota.

veeter
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
IMO, I think Owens and Fields were going to push Pods anyway. Let's face it our "fast" guy Pods, always got thrown out by half a step. Then I see Owens hit a hard one-hopper off the pitcher, and he beats it by a mile. If the pitching is up to snuff, the Sox can get away with a young guy in the outfield. Then you add Erstad's presense and I think we're golden. Very, very good signing, I believe.

HawkDJ
01-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Well I guess the Erstad thing isn't surprising since he is one of those players KW has had a bonerko for for a while now (see Vazquez).

By the way, is there even a point of attempting small ball with a team as slow as us? Maybe Earl Weaver had a point (see thread in Talking Baseball).

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 05:55 PM
IMO, I think Owens and Fields were going to push Pods anyway. Let's face it our "fast" guy Pods, always got thrown out by half a step. Then I see Owens hit a hard one-hopper off the pitcher, and he beats it by a mile. If the pitching is up to snuff, the Sox can get away with a young guy in the outfield. Then you add Erstad's presense and I think we're golden. Very, very good signing, I believe.

Owens is not MLB ready.

Flight #24
01-23-2007, 05:56 PM
FWIW, per the Trib, some nuggets of info:

Podsednik, coming off a disappointing season, aggravated a right groin injury during an off-season workout. The Sox are taking a cautious approach toward Podsednik, who has stolen 169 bases over the last four seasons, because of his history of groin injuries and his dependence on speed. He originally suffered the injury three years ago while playing for Milwaukee.

Podsednik underwent surgery in the Dallas area and is expected to be sidelined for at least six weeks.

The left-handed hitting Erstad missed most of last season because of a right ankle injury that resulted in surgery Oct. 6. He can play all three outfield positions and first base but is expected to play center while Anderson and Ryan Sweeney also compete for playing time, along with Fields and Jerry Owens in left as Podsednik recuperates.

Erstad will share the leadoff duties with Pablo Ozuna and Tadahito Iguchi at least until Podsednik returns. Erstad has batted in the first, second, third, fifth and sixth spots during most of the last thee seasons with the Angels.

The Sox also considered free agent outfielder Shannon Stewart but deemed his asking price too high.

So, it happened during a workout, aggravating an old injury (which makes it seem like it never fully healed, which could explain his performance last year). He'll be out at least 6 weeks, which means given training, etc he'll probably miss the first month or so of the season.

Erstad will platoon in both LF & CF and hit leadoff. The best news from this is that it gives Fields a long look in LF during ST.

JorgeFabregas
01-23-2007, 06:00 PM
The left-handed hitting Erstad missed most of last season because of a right ankle injury that resulted in surgery Oct. 6. He can play all three outfield positions and first base but is expected to play center while Anderson and Ryan Sweeney also compete for playing time, along with Fields and Jerry Owens in left as Podsednik recuperates.How many outfielders do they plan on carrying on the 25-man roster? That's gotta be referring to spring training.

cheeses_h_rice
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
There are almost six weeks until position players report as it is, and then another month until opening day. He should be fine.

Yeah, it's just minor groin surgery for the Sox's leadoff hitter and biggest base stealing threat, no big whoop...

:rolleyes:

Daver
01-23-2007, 06:05 PM
Owens is not MLB ready.

Owens is also not a center fielder.

Hitmen77
01-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Six weeks from today is March 6.

just an fyi - i'm not arguing Pods will be ready by then. But I wanted to just mention it because the article mentioned 6 weeks.

Frontman
01-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Six weeks from today is March 6.

just an fyi - i'm not arguing Pods will be ready by then. But I wanted to just mention it because the article mentioned 6 weeks.

He may or may not be good to go then. I would rather have him get the surgery now (and probably was trying to rehab whatever was wrong up to the "point of no return") and with the recovery time, he'll be good in early March to get back to work.

Speedy recovery there Scott.

DeadMoney
01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
The Erstad pickup is a quality one. Erstad is a hard grinder-type ballplayer. That's a good PART-TIME addition, but I can't see him playing full time unless he lights it up in April-May.

As for Pods, I cannot wait to see more 'prancy Pods' in '07. This news makes me question the deal KW gave him, but I'll stick with my first opinion; it was a good risk and still is (and we'll all see what happens).

nasox
01-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I like this, but it wasn't on Wednesday.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 06:38 PM

But he plays one on WSI from time-to-time.:redneck

WhiteSox5187
01-23-2007, 06:44 PM
Well...we're taking another big risk on a guy coming off an injury. Thome panned out well...maybe Erstad will too.

CAREY33
01-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Mlb.com reporting the Sox have signed Darin Erstad to a one year deal :

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070123&content_id=1784822&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp

WizardsofOzzie
01-23-2007, 06:46 PM
:searchfirst: How could you miss it? Its the top thread on the clubhouse page for god's sake!!

The Immigrant
01-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Well...we're taking another big risk on a guy coming off an injury. Thome panned out well...maybe Erstad will too.

So did Dye.

havelj
01-23-2007, 06:50 PM
My concern is this:
Pods value is his speed as well as HIS confidence in his speed.

If he gets on the field with the mindset that he could get hurt again and he loses his aggressiveness, his value is downgraded significantly almost to the point of a release.

His game might downgrade to below that of a major league playerl. I wish him luck. We'll need value out of CF and SS this year.

CAREY33
01-23-2007, 06:50 PM
I like my post better

DumpJerry
01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I like my post better
So post it in the thread, don't start a new one.

MaggPipes
01-23-2007, 07:01 PM
I think something very important that people are overlooking is that this also gives Konerko a good back-up for when he needs a day-off. This means that we do not have to risk Jim getting hurt or even see him play 1b this year which is very good. All of the talk of Erstad being a grinder I find slightly over rated, but being from Nebraska like I am, I know am a fan. The thing I think he can bring maybe is that Aaron Rowand attitude that I think we were missing last year, the enough of this crap we should win. I don't know, I think he makes for a high-quality bench player, which is good considering our injury history at his positions....

BUMMER
01-23-2007, 07:05 PM
Erstad will be 25th man - replacing Gload...backup PK at 1st, platoon w/ BA in CF instead of Mackowiak - and be a competent LH bat off the bench.

KRS1
01-23-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't know, I think he makes for a high-quality bench player.

There is absolutely no doubt about that if he's healthy. All the injuries are something to worry about, but in a limited role he should be able to build up, stay fresh, and most importantly stay on the field. It's safe to say we won't see another 2000esque season out of him, but he's still capable of hitting .280 with a .700+ OPS. Here's to hoping we catch lightening in a bottle with another gamble on a player with some injury issues.

As for Pods. That just plain sucks as I was hoping to see him healthy, and running out of the gates this season.

JermaineDye05
01-23-2007, 07:17 PM
since this deal isn't official yet I'm going to cross my fingers until it is, I don't want to see another Omar Vizquel situation.

soxfanatlanta
01-23-2007, 07:39 PM
So we don't have Pods until somewhere towards the beginning of ST, he probably won't be "fully recovered" (if at all) until late March. This is an opportunity for one of the youngins to win his spot and sit him on the bench.

cws05champ
01-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't we all have a groin injury in the offseason if we were married to Lisa Durgen? :D:

Soxfest
01-23-2007, 07:43 PM
This signing is much to do about nothing another cheap signing market for him was only 2 teams. Pods will be problem all year great start to 07....NOT!

The Dude
01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Erstad will be 25th man - replacing Gload...backup PK at 1st, platoon w/ BA in CF instead of Mackowiak - and be a competent LH bat off the bench.

http://www.filmmonthly.com/Video/Articles/Lebowski/big_lebowski_bridges.jpg
"This is....a bummer man..........It's a bummer man."

mjmcend
01-23-2007, 07:49 PM
This signing is much to do about nothing another cheap signing market for him was only 2 teams. Pods will be problem all year great start to 07....NOT!

Me fail english. That's unpossible.

AJ Hellraiser
01-23-2007, 07:50 PM
I am extremely worried about Pods here... he really hasn't been the same since he got hurt in 2005... he is going to be 31 in March and between age and leg injuries (whether they are small and nagging or serious) will take their toll.... The key for any player paid to steal bases is their legs and Pods' legs are in trouble...I hope I'm wrong and he recovers nicely but I wouldn't put money on it... I'll keep my fingers crossed though

The Immigrant
01-23-2007, 07:52 PM

He must have the same comedy coach as Borat. NOT!

KyWhiSoxFan
01-23-2007, 08:03 PM
I like this signing of a veteran player who can mentor Anderson. Erstad is a pro and can play multiple positions.

As for Pods, he may find it tough if he gets too far behind a hungry player who jumps up and takes the LF spot, like Sweeney. Maybe it will light a fire under Pods and get him going again. If not, we've seen the best of Pods in our rearview mirror.

Navarro's Talent
01-23-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm glad we signed Erstad. He's a good enough player.

Hopefully, it will only be six weeks for Pods. I really don't want a revolving door of leadoff hitters.

jenn2080
01-23-2007, 08:06 PM
:searchfirst: How could you miss it? Its the top thread on the clubhouse page for god's sake!!

:rolling:

cbotnyse
01-23-2007, 08:17 PM
Wouldn't we all have a groin injury in the offseason if we were married to Lisa Durgen? :D:too easy. :smile:

btrain929
01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Wouldn't we all have a groin injury in the offseason if we were married to Lisa Durgen? :D:

i said the same thing and got my entire paragraph deleted/mod edited. sorry i didnt know this was the 4th grade library where we couldnt talk about the obvious that podsednik hasnt been the same player since he got married.

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
i said the same thing

Unreal.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 08:25 PM
i said the same thing and got my entire paragraph deleted/mod edited. sorry i didnt know this was the 4th grade library where we couldnt talk about the obvious that podsednik hasnt been the same player since he got married.

I heard his childhood dream of becoming an astronaut was finally put to rest around the same time. Maybe that had something to do with it? Godspeed, little spaceman...

Daver
01-23-2007, 08:28 PM

You should have spent a lot more time in the library, you might have learned what a capital letter and punctuation are.

btrain929
01-23-2007, 08:34 PM
You should have spent a lot more time in the library, you might have learned what a capital letter and punctuation are.

im done with college so i dont need to use capitalization to get my point across. if you want to get picky, you should have used a semi-colon after the word "library" and not a comma. thats only if were really going to stress grammar in these parts...
the point is pods is a waste of cleats right now and its time to get someone else in there permanately and use him as a sub/pinch runner. hes not going to be able to top '05, here or anywhere else.

whitesox901
01-23-2007, 08:34 PM
well, it looks like this is gonna be another one of those issues that gets us Sox fans confused and scared till about mid-April :?:.........Oh by the way, any chance any of you people know when they'll released the regular season times (i know that home week night games are at 7:11pm ct), and like the CSN,WGN and WCIU schedules for the 2007 Regular Season?

mjmcend
01-23-2007, 08:35 PM
im done with college so i dont need to use capitalization to get my point across.

I am done with college too. Can I take off my pants now?

Jerksticks
01-23-2007, 08:36 PM

beef stroganoff is a dangerous dish.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
beef stroganoff is a dangerous dish.

:roflmao:

Daver
01-23-2007, 08:39 PM
im done with college so i dont need to use capitalization

Your parents must be proud of how you are using your education.

btrain929
01-23-2007, 08:40 PM
I am done with college too. Can I take off my pants now?

as long as you dont strain your groin doing so....

FarWestChicago
01-23-2007, 08:41 PM
im done with college so i dont need to use capitalization to get my point across.Ask for your money back.

caulfield12
01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
He'll never stop. Ignorance is his middle name!:redneck

I like this move. It probably isn't for too much $$ anyway and he's a proven vet with a solid glove and decent bat. :gulp:

Please tell us who will lead off, oh ye wise combination of Bill James and Peter Gammons.

People were talking about Catalanotto as a leadoff hitter, Mackowiak's OBP isn't that far off, and he's much better in LF than Ozuna. Ozuna and Erstad are the logical choices, it's not good for our line-up to take Iguchi out of the 2nd spot. We might even be better off with Sweeney in LF, if he proves he's ready in ST, because, as mentioned, Pods might not even play during the exhibition season. More than likely, they will keep him away from the freezing cold of Chicago in April and let him stay in the heat until he feels ready to go.

btrain929
01-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Ask for your money back.

ok haha we all got a cheap laugh because i dont capitalize letters. can we move on? honestly. and you guys are administration around here.....

Daver
01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
ok haha we all got a cheap laugh because i dont capitalize letters. can we move on? honestly. and you guys are administration around here.....

If you have a problem with the administrators pointing out your lack of an attempt to make what you write readable, post elsewhere.

Seriously.

btrain929
01-23-2007, 08:53 PM
If you have a problem with the administrators pointing out that your lack of an attempt to make what you write readable, post elsewhere.

Seriously.

If I don't capitalize the first letter at the beginning of my sentences, and that throws off your interpretation of an entire sentence, the problem does not lie within my grammar.....
If you want to debate the info or an opinion in one of my posts, i'll be more than happy to do the same. But get off of this high school principal bull.....

Seriously.

Daver
01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
If I don't capitalize the first letter at the beginning of my sentences, and that throws off your interpretation of an entire sentence, the problem does not lie within my grammar

Yes, it does.

This is not an argument you want to pursue.

cbotnyse
01-23-2007, 08:56 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/cbotnyse/popcorn.gif

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
You have to give him credit for use of the icons. Bring forth the anti-Cubs icon!:redneck

btrain929
01-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Yes, it does.

This is not an argument you want to pursue.

well if it does, than you should stick with "drive thru attendant."
my last post was meant to put an end to this ridiculous waste of our time, but your "yes it does" apparently means your not done. again, drop it. i came on here talking about podsednik and how hes obviously not where we need him to be after his dreadful season. if you have this desire to keep needling me over nonsense that 5 yr olds could have handled by now, than thats just a shame.

GO SOX

i know the "go sox" was in all caps, but hopefully you'll let me slide for it....

A. Cavatica
01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
So did Dye [turn out well coming off an injury].

Yeah, but Erstad hasn't had a good year since 2000. That's one long string
of injuries...or else he just sucks.

FarWestChicago
01-23-2007, 09:08 PM
You have to give him credit for use of the icons. Bring forth the anti-Cubs icon!:redneckHe is running through them. :rolling:

oeo
01-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Yeah, but Erstad hasn't had a good year since 2000. That's one long string
of injuries...or else he just sucks.

What are you talking about? You have to have an amazing year like Erstad's 2000 for it to be considered a "good" year? That's ridiculous.

He had a "good" year in 2004, and pretty good years in 2002 and 2005. Last year he was out for the majority of the season.

A. Cavatica
01-23-2007, 09:11 PM
What are you talking about? You have to have an amazing year like Erstad's 2000 for it to be considered a "good" year? That's ridiculous.

He had a "good" year in 2004, and pretty good years in 2002 and 2005. Last year he was out for the majority of the season.

2004 was passable. He had a .313 OBP in 2002, which stinks, and a .325 in 2005.

He'll be a fine bench player. If he's our leadoff man we're in trouble.

btrain929
01-23-2007, 09:11 PM

He had a "good" year in 2004, and a pretty good year in 2005. Last year he was out for the majority of the season.

and i also think a little more was expected out of dye when he was signed than erstad. as a backup, were just expecting him not to mess up and to give us a spark every now and then. when we signed dye, we knew he would start and we expected decent offensive numbers from him out of the middle of our order. hopefully we wont have to overuse erstad like we did with mack last year.

oeo
01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
2004 was passable. He had a .313 OBP in 2002, which stinks, and a .325 in 2005.

He'll be a fine bench player. If he's our leadoff man we're in trouble.

What does "passable" mean? As in it passes for a good year according to you, or it was just an "okay" year. I definitely would not complain for a repeat of his 2004. I don't see how you could.

Daver
01-23-2007, 09:14 PM
well if it does, than you should stick with "drive thru attendant."
my last post was meant to put an end to this ridiculous waste of our time, but your "yes it does" apparently means your not done. again, drop it. i came on here talking about podsednik and how hes obviously not where we need him to be after his dreadful season. if you have this desire to keep needling me over nonsense that 5 yr olds could have handled by now, than thats just a shame.

What I choose to do here will not be dictated by you, or anyone else for that matter, and at 5 my kids knew how to make a sentence. West was right, you should demand a refund.

A. Cavatica
01-23-2007, 09:16 PM
What does "passable" mean? As in it passes for a good year according to you, or it was just an "okay" year. I definitely would not complain for a repeat of his 2004. I don't see how you could.

I mean league average.

A. Cavatica
01-23-2007, 09:19 PM
Has anyone seen the terms of the contract yet? If the Sox are going to pay Erstad $2M a year, this could be a great signing. If it's $4M, I think the money would've been better spent elsewhere.

btrain929
01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
What I choose to do here will not be dictated by you, or anyone else for that matter, and at 5 my kids knew how to make a sentence. West was right, you should demand a refund.

:whiner:

oeo
01-23-2007, 09:20 PM
Has anyone seen the terms of the contract yet? If the Sox are going to pay Erstad $2M a year, this could be a great signing. If it's $4M, I think the money would've been better spent elsewhere.

I don't know how much it is, but it says on whitesox.com that it's a one-year contract.

EDIT: They also have an option for 2008.

RowanDye
01-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Podsednik is not a center fielder either. Couldn't Owens play left if he shows that he can handle leading off in spring training?

If people are so worried about OBP, why not let Thome leadoff?

veeter
01-23-2007, 09:24 PM
Owens is not MLB ready.So that's it? If you say so, it must be true. I think he MAY be ready.

oeo
01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
If people are so worried about OBP

So you want a leadoff hitter that doesn't get on base?

santo=dorf
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM

In 2005 his OBP was .325 and SLG was a pathetic .371. He's like a bad scott Posdenik minus the speed.
In 2002 he had a .283 batting average but a Neifi Perez like .313 OBP. That's terrible, and his SLG% was .389.

2004 was OK.

FedEx227
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
If people are so worried about OBP, why not let Thome leadoff?

Because you'd be wasting his power in the leadoff spot. Not even sure why I spent time to respond to it....

OBP isn't a scary stat, believe it or not it just measures how much a player gets on base... which is SORTA a requirement for a leadoff hitter. Traditionally you would put a guy who doesn't have a ton of power, thus you don't waste a chance at an extra-base hit bringing some runs in.

Are you not worried about OBP from your leadoff hitter? Would you rather we not have a guy on base when Konerko/Thome/Dye/Crede are up?

Daver
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM

Enjoy your vacation.

esbrechtel
01-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Good pick-up...too bad about Pods though.

Taliesinrk
01-23-2007, 09:36 PM
Good pick-up...too bad about Pods though.

perhaps you could change your sig now??

Brian26
01-23-2007, 09:39 PM
In 2005 his OBP was .325 and SLG was a pathetic .371. He's like a bad scott Posdenik minus the speed.
In 2002 he had a .283 batting average but a Neifi Perez like .313 OBP. That's terrible, and his SLG% was .389.

2004 was OK.

I think this is a great acquisition. I feel a lot more comfortable with Erstad in LF or CF than Ozuna and/or Mackowiak.

I was getting ready to actually compliment the Cubs because I thought he would be a perfect fit for a year as their CF until Pie is ready.

Vernam
01-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Parts of this thread were laugh-out-loud funny, though mostly in unintended ways. :rolling:

Well, I wasn't too comfortable with the thought of Pods' leading off, but I'm even less comfortable with the idea of his not leading off. :(: That must've been one hell of a workout he was having, to rip a groin. Anyway, unless he's having some kind of miracle surgery, I wouldn't count on him being much help until it warms up -- like July. He got off to a brutal start in 2006, so I can only imagine what 2007 will be like, coming off surgery.

Vernam

Flight #24
01-23-2007, 09:41 PM

My recommendation to you is not to make Daver angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Edit: too late.

A. Cavatica
01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
I think this is a great acquisition. I feel a lot more comfortable with Erstad in LF or CF than Ozuna and/or Mackowiak.

Well, so do I. But that shouldn't be the standard. Erstad's a good glove, but he will probably have to bat sometime.

SOXSINCE'70
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
They also have an owner who is a pain in the groin :D:

Wrong end.Pain in the "Arse" is more like it.:redface:

Grzegorz
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
This is an injury he suffered years ago that probably flared up now.

Hopefully Pods will be back in the six week time frame the teams banks on. I hardly think he scammed the team out of money; he is going under the knife so he is paying a price.

If he didn't take care of the injury or let it heal naturally (if at all possible) can you imaging the barrage of hate Pods would get if the injury hampered his performance? Good for you Pods; get well soon.

Erstad is an excellent signing; he'll be a great bench player spelling an outfielder and more importantly spelling PK at first base.

Dark clouds dissipate; here's to 2007 which I believe will be one fine season...

Daver
01-23-2007, 09:53 PM
My recommendation to you is not to make Daver angry. You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

Edit: too late.

I don't get mad, it's not worth the effort.

champagne030
01-23-2007, 09:58 PM
Parts of this thread were laugh-out-loud funny, though mostly in unintended ways. :rolling:

Well, I wasn't too comfortable with the thought of Pods' leading off, but I'm even less comfortable with the idea of his not leading off. :(: That must've been one hell of a workout he was having, to rip a groin. Anyway, unless he's having some kind of miracle surgery, I wouldn't count on him being much help until it warms up -- like July. He got off to a brutal start in 2006, so I can only imagine what 2007 will be like, coming off surgery.

Vernam

Didn't he have double hernia surgery last offseason? Granted it was 6 weeks earlier, but his shoulder is what really screwed his ST. Even so, he never seemed right all year.

That said, I was worried about him coming into this season and now it's a major concern. We're pretty much ****ed if he cannot be a serviceable leadoff batter.

Kudos to Kenny for not making me watch Mack in CF this season. Whatever Erstad MAY give up to Gload at the plate he more than makes up for in the field (especially OF). And we get a flier on Sisco.

markopat
01-23-2007, 09:59 PM
I just read this whole thread of which 2 pages were a waste of time...however, I have a question about Erstad. I saw the value of $2.9 Million on or about page 3, but I think it was referenceing Pod's deal. Do we know how much we signed Erstad for?

I was in Anaheim for almost a year and a half and there was a real hate/love relationship between the fans and this guy. If he is a 4th outfielder and a back-up for Paulie, then I think it is a good signing...not great. If we are depending on him as a full time guy, that scares me.

Kenny is a smart guy....I defer to his wisdom. I am also REALLY looking forward to Spring Training! GO GO SOX!

WizardsofOzzie
01-23-2007, 10:04 PM
I just read this whole thread of which 2 pages were a waste of time...however, I have a question about Erstad. I saw the value of $2.9 Million on or about page 3, but I think it was referenceing Pod's deal. Do we know how much we signed Erstad for?

I was in Anaheim for almost a year and a half and there was a real hate/love relationship between the fans and this guy. If he is a 4th outfielder and a back-up for Paulie, then I think it is a good signing...not great. If we are depending on him as a full time guy, that scares me.

Kenny is a smart guy....I defer to his wisdom. I am also REALLY looking forward to Spring Training! GO GO SOX!
No monetary figures have been announced yet

markopat
01-23-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks...I can't find anything either...This is off of RotoWire...

Darin Erstad: Agrees to One-Year Deal with White Sox - 1/23/2007 3:49:33 PM

Update:
Erstad (ankle) has agreed to a one-year deal with the White Sox, the Chicago Tribune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-070123sox,1,5427122.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines) reports.

Recommendation:
The 32-year-old gives Chicago a versatile option in their outfield with Scott Podsednik expected to be out of action until at least March after undergoing groin surgery. Still, he'll have to earn his playing time and he brings much more to the table for the White Sox than he does for fantasy owners.

thedudeabides
01-23-2007, 10:19 PM

I love Ralph. :smile:

SluggersAway
01-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Btrain is something else. Did he really say since he graduated from a college that he no longer needs to use correct grammar?

America, I weep for you.

As for the topic at hand, obviously, this is not good news, but I like the presence of Erstad in the clubhouse and probably on the field.

Maybe, it will be good news if Pods can get back to his old speedy self.

Hopefully, this will make the young'uns even more hungry and step up to the MLB level.

01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
KW has an eye for picking up guys like this for a smart price. I has a feeling this might be the biggest move all offseason. Let Pods rest for as long as it takes. We are going to be very happy with Erstad.

ChiSoxGirl
01-23-2007, 10:51 PM
I've been listening to Silvy & Carmen tonight and they said this surgery Pods had is to fix the injury he had in Milwaukee four years ago, which he aggravated in the past week or so while doing some kind of different workout program. Regardless of how and when this injury occurred, this is not good.

maurice
01-23-2007, 11:12 PM
i came on here talking about podsednik and how hes obviously not where we need him to be after his dreadful season.
You also came here to blame it on his wife. Please don't leave the best part out!

Daver came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum. Unfortunately for you, he's all out of bubblegum.
:gulp:

Jurr
01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
Wow. You get entrenched in work and come back to THIS? Awesome news. I always loved DE. Good pickup. Talk about a guy that can get a big hit!

gobears1987
01-23-2007, 11:15 PM
I have to say I really like Erstad. Kudos to you on this one Kenny.

SouthSide_HitMen
01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Enjoy your vacation.

I don't think there is a judge in America who would deny him a refund for classes taken from first grade forward.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2249/vacation3ta.jpg

One week without you, thought I'd forget
Two weeks without you and I still haven't gotten over you yet...

Getting back to the subject at hand, Erstad is a good fill-in at this stage of his career but he should not be counted on as a leadoff hitter (or to remain healthy the entire season). The White Sox will need players at #1 and #2 to get on base for the big boppers to follow. Stolen bases are not the big issue; getting on base is the big issue.

Erstad gives Ozzie options he did not have last season (a second OFer capable of playing CF). This is a good signing even if Podsednik was fully healthy. Podsednik better hope he is at full strength and ready to go before Memorial Day if he wants to have any chance at a decent contract next season.

Hendu
01-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Great pick-up. As long as Erstad's healthy, the guy will play his butt off and do everything that's asked of him. I feel a lot better about our outfield with him as a back-up option.

Jjav829
01-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Your parents must be proud of how you are using your education.

Ask for your money back.

Btrain is something else. Did he really say since he graduated from a college that he no longer needs to use correct grammar?

America, I weep for you.

As for the topic at hand, obviously, this is not good news, but I like the presence of Erstad in the clubhouse and probably on the field.

Maybe, it will be good news if Pods can get back to his old speedy self.

Hopefully, this will make the young'uns even more hungry and step up to the MLB level.

In the interest of accuracy, he did say...

im done with college so i dont need to use capitalization to get my point across.

He never said anything about graduating. :redneck Done can mean so many things, like 1 class and dropping out. :smile:

RoobarbPie
01-23-2007, 11:41 PM

I swear I heard Bruce Levine say on MJH that it would likely be a 750k deal with a team option for '08. That sounds like quite a steal and it is coming from Levine, so I doubt it's right.... If it is, then way to go KW!

Bill Naharodny
01-23-2007, 11:45 PM

But this, of course, is a run-on sentence.

:?:

Craig Grebeck
01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
Absolutely foolish. So many better options for the bench. Giving Ozzie Erstad will come back to haunt KW. There is no reason to interfere with Anderson's growth with a player who is no better and quite possibly much worse.

SluggersAway
01-23-2007, 11:55 PM
In the interest of accuracy, he did say...

He never said anything about graduating. :redneck Done can mean so many things, like 1 class and dropping out. :smile:

Good point Jjav, I feel a little bit better now.

Postscript: Did I miss a semicolon anywhere? :redneck

Lip Man 1
01-24-2007, 12:14 AM
For what it may be worth:

I spoke with Roland Hemond today on this.

In his opinion he does not think Podsednik will be ready for opening day due to the fact that he can't really do anything for six weeks. He has to get back in shape physically AND pick back up with his baseball skills and Roland doesn't think you can do all that in four weeks. He thinks Pods will start the season on the DL and MAY be ready around May 1st.

He didn't know if Kenny would try to make a deal for a leadoff hitter or not.

He thinks Erstad would be a good leadoff guy because he knows the league, works the count and is a grinder.

We'll see.

Lip

tomgordon1
01-24-2007, 12:16 AM
YES!!!!!! This is what I've been waiting for. I gotta say KW redeemed himself a bit (speaking on behalf of our outfield questions) Darin Erstad made a name of himself with the Angels. He can easily hit .300 and has decent speed. I can see our outfield with great talent defensively. Anderson may succeed this year. Now one thing left on my Sox wish list for moves would be for the rotation, but that won't happen anymore. We will stick with Vazquez, pay him a crucial $12.5 million and risk a season with him. But our main concern is that 5th spot. We MUST not allow the 5th spot to beat us down like it did in the past. So in spring training, one of the following, Gavin Floyd, Charlie Haeger, or Lance Broadway, should be determined. Chances are that Floyd will take the spot. Although it would be nice to have a knuckler in the mix, it can help us big time. We'll see though. Great job Kenny! :bandance: :gulp: :supernana: :) :D: :cool:

DrCrawdad
01-24-2007, 12:25 AM
Jerry Owens, Ryan Sweeney, Josh Fields and heck even Brian Anderson, that sound you hear is the door of opportunity opening...

http://www.virginiabusiness.com/magazine/yr1998/july98/graphics/doorknob.gif

Lip Man 1
01-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Addendum:

Hemond and I also spoke about Ryan Sweeney and Roland thinks he'll be given every chance to unseat Anderson but if he can't he's probably going to be sent back down rather then sit on the bench in the bigs.

The Sox want him playing every day. Roland said he's a gap to gap hitter and that in time, the power will come as he gets older and bigger. He used the example of Don Mattingly when he first came up. Roland said the Sox want Sweeney comfortable going the other way on pitches which is harder to do he said (quoting Charlie Lau) then pulling a baseball.

Lip

oeo
01-24-2007, 12:59 AM

In his opinion he does not think Podsednik will be ready for opening day due to the fact that he can't really do anything for six weeks. He has to get back in shape physically AND pick back up with his baseball skills and Roland doesn't think you can do all that in four weeks. He thinks Pods will start the season on the DL and MAY be ready around May 1st.

He thinks Erstad would be a good leadoff guy because he knows the league, works the count and is a grinder.

We'll see.

Lip

Addendum:

Hemond and I also spoke about Ryan Sweeney and Roland thinks he'll be given every chance to unseat Anderson but if he can't he's probably going to be sent back down rather then sit on the bench in the bigs.

The Sox want him playing every day. Roland said he's a gap to gap hitter and that in time, the power will come as he gets older and bigger. He used the example of Don Mattingly when he first came up. Roland said the Sox want Sweeney comfortable going the other way on pitches which is harder to do he said (quoting Charlie Lau) then pulling a baseball.

Lip

Thanks for this information, Lip. It's much appreciated.

kittle42
01-24-2007, 01:02 AM
Darin Erstad made a name of himself with the Angels. He can easily hit .300 and has decent speed. I can see our outfield with great talent defensively.

Is this 2000? Where's the time machine?

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 01:11 AM
No mention of Sweeney or Erstad playing LF instead of CF?

What happens if Pods isn't ready and neither is Anderson? Then we have real problems I think, and the only bullets we have in our gun are the minor league pitchers we just acquired.

Signing a Jose Guillen to an incentives-based deal would look good about now...although maybe Erstad and Sweeney would be fine, IF, IF, IF we get type of pitching we expect.

So the worst-case scenario might be Sweeney/Fields in LF and Erstad in CF to start the season...we didn't have much power outside of Dye, but we're giving up another 30-40 steals with those guys instead of Pods. I just can't imagine Fields playing out there with a hobbled Erstad. It could only be Anderson and Fields IMO.

I wonder how much Shannon Stewart was asking for? Apparently, KW spoke to him but he was asking for too much...which is risky at this point, since he might find himself with nowhere to sit once the music for musical chairs stops.

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 01:52 AM
I see the season starting with Anderson in center, and Sweeney and Erstad platooning in LF, with Erstad playing CF occasionally to give BA a break. Once Pods is back Sweeney will get sent down and Erstad will step into more of a backup role.

The best part about this signing is it gives Ozzie a lot of options based on game situations. Erstad comes in as a defensive replacement late in close games to give us an outfield of Erstad-Anderson-Dye. Ozzie can also mess with the lineup based on righty/lefty matchups as he likes to do, and DE can hit in a lot of different places in the order. I like the outfield situation a lot more after this signing.

Jerome
01-24-2007, 02:37 AM
What little speed threat we did have is now gone...

I sure hope they work on bunting in ST...

There will be plenty of bunting at the park on opening day:D:

I like the move, it can't hurt.

And I think the surgery is the best Sox news I've heard all year. I bet Pods will be a lot better once he is fully healthy.

VenturaIsAGod
01-24-2007, 04:14 AM
I might be wrong, but isn't Erstad considered one of the best clutch hitters around? He'll definitely help, no doubt about that, and I hope he can get a couple of big pinch-hits for us when he's not starting.

QCIASOXFAN
01-24-2007, 04:52 AM

We'll see.

Lip That was the time table I was thinking on his return. I think we have 67 days until opening day, and if he can't do anything for 6 weeks that leaves under a month to get back in the groove of things.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 05:30 AM
And the articles out have said 6 to 8 weeks on a return...

Grzegorz
01-24-2007, 05:44 AM
And the articles out have said 6 to 8 weeks on a return...

Then it is left field by committee; Owens, Erstad, & Ozuna will have an opportunity to platoon until Pods gets back. (I am ruling out Sweeney because management wants him playing everyday).

I am ready and I certainly not worried; 2007 is ripe for the picking.

Kudos to KW on backing up two positions with one player. As a bench player KW could have done far worse that Erstad.

Time to buy some more Chicago White Sox merchandise!

Lillian
01-24-2007, 06:00 AM
I see the season starting with Anderson in center, and Sweeney and Erstad platooning in LF, with Erstad playing CF occasionally to give BA a break. Once Pods is back Sweeney will get sent down and Erstad will step into more of a backup role................

A platoon of Sweeney and Erstad isn't likely, in that they both bat left handed. I would guess that if Erstad is platooned in left, the at bats vs. lefties would go to Ozuna, at least until Pods returns. Pablo is the best leadoff hitter the Sox have as a replacement for Pods.
If Erstad is healthy, there is no reason to platoon him. He has always hit lefties, and is a very solid defensive outfielder.

This is a big potential improvement. We longer have to face the possibility of that huge offensive hole at the bottum of the order. Now we can afford to just leave Uribe at SS, no matter how poorly he is hitting. If Anderson does not produce offensively, I would guess that he will spend the year at Charlotte. In that case, Erstad plays center, and left is filled by either Sweeney, Fields, Mackowiak, and Ozuna. There is also the potential for platooning the best of that group, half of which is left handed.
In any case, there is no need to accept either the defensive hole in center, like the one that the Sox had when Mackowiak was out there, or the offensive hole at the end of the lineup, when neither Anderson nor Uribe were hitting.

I still hope that Brian can establish himself as a productive hitter. He is the best defensive outfielder we have. Moreover, there is less risk of injury to Erstad, if he is in left, rather than in center.

Now if Pods can return in the late Spring, the Sox will have plenty of good options in the outfield. I'm also still curious to see if Ruben Rivera can contribute.
That would make the outfield even deeper.

JUribe1989
01-24-2007, 07:17 AM
This is a fantastic move by KW finally. I have been calling for this for months. We basically just got back a more versatile Gload. I love it.

BUMMER
01-24-2007, 08:43 AM
This is a fantastic move by KW finally. I have been calling for this for months. We basically just got back a more versatile Gload. I love it.

My point exactly - Even tho Gload was "last man" - he still needed to be replaced - Gload never seemed to complain about sitting all week - came off the bench cold and got some key hits - could run a bit - and was strong defensively (at 1B) -
Erstad 's plus is that he gives Ozzie a better option than Mackowiak when he wants to sit B Anderson - and a better option than Ozuna in LF----Don't know if Erstad can handle being a part-time player
All-in-all, it's only February and it can't hurt to take a look at the options in Arizona, especially with Pods not ready-

It looks like the only roster spots open are one starting pitcher & one relief pitcher with about 8 or 9 candidates competing.

Think KW's done dealing this winter?.......

kraut83
01-24-2007, 08:53 AM
I'm anxious to see what Iguchi can do leading off in ST. His OBP isn't great, but out of the in house choices he may be the best.

sox1970
01-24-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm anxious to see what Iguchi can do leading off in ST. His OBP isn't great, but out of the in house choices he may be the best.

I don't think they'll go there with Iguchi. I think Erstad, Sweeney, and Owens will be leading off until Pods is back. If Erstad shows he's ready to play everday, he may win the leadoff job outright.

Hitmen77
01-24-2007, 09:26 AM

We'll see.

Lip

Thanks for the info. While not ideal, I think the Sox can live with Pods being out until May 1. We'll just have to see how he bounces back after he returns.

Lillian
01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
I don't think they'll go there with Iguchi. I think Erstad, Sweeney, and Owens will be leading off until Pods is back. If Erstad shows he's ready to play everday, he may win the leadoff job outright.

Do you really think that Owens is ready to contribute at the Major League level? He hasn't shown the ability to get on base enough. I can't see the Sox using him ahead of Fields, or Sweeney. If they need another lead off hitter, until Pods returns, aren't Ozuna and Erstad more likely?
I just can't imagine that Owens will take playing time away from other better prospects.
Sweeney and Fields are the two best position player prospects in the Sox organization, and they have both played well at AAA. I understand that Owens is more of a prototypical leadoff hitter, but he's just not ready.

Gammons Peter
01-24-2007, 09:41 AM
from an Angles forum:

Good move for the Sox. Even if he doesn't return to form he is only being $750K. Low risk with huge potential upside.

and

I feel that Erstad will come back to haunt us. He is still young and is a GRITTY player who, if healthy, will hit .300 or better for the Sox.

sox1970
01-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Do you really think that Owens is ready to contribute at the Major League level? He hasn't shown the ability to get on base enough. I can't see the Sox using him ahead of Fields, or Sweeney. If they need another lead off hitter, until Pods returns, aren't Ozuna and Erstad more likely?
I just can't imagine that Owens will take playing time away from other better prospects.
Sweeney and Fields are the two best position player prospects in the Sox organization, and they have both played well at AAA. I understand that Owens is more of a prototypical leadoff hitter, but he's just not ready.

No, I don't like Owens as an everyday player. I'm talking about spring training. I don't think Iguchi will lead off that much.

As far as the word "ready", I don't think that applies to Jerry Owens. He's 26/27, he's a future 4th outfielder, if anything. Ready would be more of a word to apply to Sweeney and Fields.

RowanDye
01-24-2007, 10:22 AM
So you want a leadoff hitter that doesn't get on base?

It was a joke. That's why the rest of the sentence that you cut out was in teal. If you want to use OBP as the only determinate in picking a leadoff hitter, then go over to Baseball Musings and use their lineup analysis tool. Even though Thome is our highest OBP guy, most people wouldn't want him clogging up the basepaths.

chisoxmike
01-24-2007, 10:25 AM
No, I don't like Owens as an everyday player. I'm talking about spring training. I don't think Iguchi will lead off that much.

As far as the word "ready", I don't think that applies to Jerry Owens. He's 26/27, he's a future 4th outfielder, if anything. Ready would be more of a word to apply to Sweeney and Fields.

Yeah, just becuase he's fast doesn't mean he can come up to the Majors and be affective in other aspects of the game. He's still got a ways to go.

Bucky F. Dent
01-24-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm happy to have Erstad on the roster. He gives Ozzie some much needed flexibility in the outfield.

As for Pods, only time will tell.

Heffalump
01-24-2007, 10:42 AM
I see the season starting with Anderson in center, and Sweeney and Erstad platooning in LF, with Erstad playing CF occasionally to give BA a break. Once Pods is back Sweeney will get sent down and Erstad will step into more of a backup role.

The best part about this signing is it gives Ozzie a lot of options based on game situations. Erstad comes in as a defensive replacement late in close games to give us an outfield of Erstad-Anderson-Dye. Ozzie can also mess with the lineup based on righty/lefty matchups as he likes to do, and DE can hit in a lot of different places in the order. I like the outfield situation a lot more after this signing.

I also like this move. It is basically an extra insurance policy. No matter what happens with Pods, we will have solid defense in the outfield and some decent interchangable bats off the bench. If Anderson's bat continues to grow it will be even better. We will miss Pods speed for whatever time he is out though, as there aren't any other 'true' SB threats in the lineup.

Either way, it still comes down to how our starters and bullpen perform....Will they be more like '05 or '06? That is what is gonna make the difference in '07.

kraut83
01-24-2007, 11:51 AM

Erstad I could deal with (If he's healthy & looks productive). I don't see much good coming out of a rookie in the leadoff spot though.

KRS1
01-24-2007, 11:53 AM
To avoid confusion, let me first say that I'm not advocating Owens starting. However, I'm going to disagree with the people saying he has no chance to be a starter for us, now or in the future. Just look at his splits and you can see there is definite potential for him to be an effective every day player and leadoff hitter. He really figured something out from mid-June to September, and put up some very respectable numbers for the remainder of the season, including a line of .322 .412 .471 in 87 July ABs. Against righties last year he was very good, hitting .293 with a .359 OBP in 311 at bats. His lefty on lefty stats are, well, crap, but he could make a very good platoon partner with a righty capable of hitting lefties....coughpablocough.

Yes I saw Pablo play LF last year, and he was worse than atrocious to start off, and progressed into a passable defender by September. With a lot of hard work, I think he could turn into at least an average defender in LF.

ArkanSox
01-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Ha, I'm sure btrain could assimilate.:smile:

I was so excited this morning, when I read that we picked up Erstad, that I just had to come in here and read what y'all thought. He can play on my team anyday. I don't picture him as a leadoff batter, but he is definately a gamer. I'm glad that Kenny decided to roll the dice on him. BIG upside.

As for Pods, I'm glad that he's undergoing the surgery. He hasn't been "right" for a long time now. Hopefully, this will get him that half-step back. Something needed to be attempted.

GO SOX!!! GO BEARS!!!

Jurr
01-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I love the adjectives used to describe him. A.)Hard nosed B.)A tough at bat C.)Able to do the "little things"

That's what the Sox were missing last year. They need a little of that edge back. This guy's going to help out a lot, as long as he's healthy. He's been there. He's got a ring, and he's not afraid to get dirty. Our kind of guy.

DocWolf
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
...could be your lead off man, at least temporarily. Maybe even Sweeney although that would be a stretch.:?:

WhiteSox5187
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
from an Angles forum:

Good move for the Sox. Even if he doesn't return to form he is only being $750K. Low risk with huge potential upside.

and

I feel that Erstad will come back to haunt us. He is still young and is a GRITTY player who, if healthy, will hit .300 or better for the Sox.
He isn't THAT young...but I do agree with the first comment, low risks with potentially huge rewards.

maurice
01-24-2007, 12:09 PM
It is extremely unlikely that Erstad was brought in to replace Anderson. He has a much better shot at replacing Podsednik (especially if he starts the season on the DL and Erstad maintains a respectable AVE).

To avoid confusion, let me first say that I'm not advocating Owens starting. However, I'm going to disagree with the people saying he has no chance to be a starter for us, now or in the future. Just look at his splits...

...and the fact that he led the SL in hitting the previous season after skipping a level. He really struggled early in 2006 and that's giving some folks the (wrong) impression that he struggled all year.

If Podsednik is on the DL to start the season, Owens has an excellent chance of keeping his roster spot warm and maybe even getting some starts in LF.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 12:11 PM
The combo of Erstad and Ozuna is best in the short-term for LF.

UNLESS they want Sweeney to play EVERYDAY there, or possibly Fields or Owens as part of a platoon. Same problem with Josh, I don't think they play him 1/3rd of the time. He goes back to AAA unless Sweeney or Fields emerges as the clear starter. Owens, Ozuna and Mackowiak all could be platooned with little harm.

They won't play Fields/Owens/Sweeney in LF with Anderson in CF, so a veteran has to be part of the equation. Erstad in CF (if BA doesn't hit) would mean Mackowiak and Ozuna sharing LF.

Goodbye Luis Terrero.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 12:14 PM
It is extremely unlikely that Erstad was brought in to replace Anderson. He has a much better shot at replacing Podsednik (especially if he starts the season on the DL and Erstad maintains a respectable AVE).

...and the fact that he led the SL in hitting the previous season after skipping a level. He really struggled early in 2006 and that's giving some folks the (wrong) impression that he struggled all year.

If Podsednik is on the DL to start the season, Owens has an excellent chance of keeping his roster spot warm and maybe even getting some starts in LF.

Then you have Pods, Mackowiak, Erstad and Owens. That's one too many lefties. Mackowiak would seem to be superfluous at this point...as he doesn't have the speed for leadoff or the power to play everyday, nor is he an asset defensively, even in LF. So does this make Mackowiak an infielder again (2B/3B), primarily? Will Ozuna get enough AB's? Lots of permutations.

Hitmen77
01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Does anyone have any more information on the nature of Erstad's "ankle injury"? Is this something that is easy to recover from?

Etownsox13
01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Haven't we been after Erstad for years?

maurice
01-24-2007, 12:27 PM
Then you have Pods, Mackowiak, Erstad and Owens. That's one too many lefties.

No, you have 3 lefties (Mackowiak, Erstad and Owens OR Podsednik) plus the 3 righties (Dye, Anderson, and Ozuna). Like I said, my hypothetical scenario involves Owens "keeping [Podsednik']s roster spot warm" until he gets back.

My highly scientific analysis on the back of this napkin shows that there is precisely a 95.246% chance that Anderson will spend the entire season on the 25-man roster again.

roadrunner
01-24-2007, 12:31 PM
I like the signing as long as he remains relegated to the bench. His defensive abilities should prove valuable. My main concern is that he was probably a juiced player during his amazing 2000 season.

russ99
01-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I like the signing as long as he remains relegated to the bench. His defensive abilities should prove valuable. My main concern is that he was probably a juiced player during his amazing 2000 season.

I like this signing, since the Sox finally have an experienced backup outfielder that can play CF and has good defensive skills.

That said, I wish Pods a speedy recovery, and hope he can get back to a near-05 play level sometime this season.

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Then you have Pods, Mackowiak, Erstad and Owens. That's one too many lefties. Mackowiak would seem to be superfluous at this point...as he doesn't have the speed for leadoff or the power to play everyday, nor is he an asset defensively, even in LF. So does this make Mackowiak an infielder again (2B/3B), primarily? Will Ozuna get enough AB's? Lots of permutations.
Mack's biggest asset is that he can play so many positions, not spectacularly but adequately. I don't think Ozzie will have trouble finding playing time for him at 2B, 3B, LF, and RF. 1B too, especially since Erstad will be playing in the OF more until Pods gets back.

Madvora
01-24-2007, 01:04 PM
My main concern is that he was probably a juiced player during his amazing 2000 season.
I don't know how you can make that assumption. His batting average went way up. The guy has never shown any difference in appearance at all, has never had a radical swing in power numbers either.
Obviously everyone who takes steroids doesn't have to get huge, but you seem to be making a wild accusation based on the guy having a real good batting average one year. I don't think steroids could have done that.

RoobarbPie
01-24-2007, 01:06 PM

Why would being a juicer 6-7 years ago (if he even was at all...) concern you? I don't think anyone will be expecting those numbers. The Sox likely just hope he stays healthy for a full year and puts up something above league average when he's out there.

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Another intreaguing option this leaves us is the ability to put Erstad in the 2 hole and move Iguchi down in the order to the 6/7/8 spot if desired. Especially if one of our big boppers is sitting a day to rest up and stay fresh(e.g., Crede), Iguchi provides another power option down there.

tick53
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
Anyway this turns out, having Darrin on the team is a good move:D: . He will fit in nicely with the Sox:smile:

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
I don't know how you can make that assumption. His batting average went way up. The guy has never shown any difference in appearance at all, has never had a radical swing in power numbers either.
Obviously everyone who takes steroids doesn't have to get huge, but you seem to be making a wild accusation based on the guy having a real good batting average one year. I don't think steroids could have done that.
Steroids can definitely improve batting average. Stronger people whose arms move quicker have more control over the bat and have an easier time putting the bat on the ball. I'm not saying that is the case with Erstad, though, but the idea that steroids only improve HR numbers is false.

eriqjaffe
01-24-2007, 01:21 PM
I love the adjectives used to describe him. A.)Hard nosed B.)A tough at batHe's an older Aaron Rowand!

esbrechtel
01-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I do not think it is fair to claim he juiced because he had a good year...maybe I am being dumb but is it possible that he just had a good year:dunno:

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 01:44 PM
I do not think it is fair to claim he juiced because he had a good year...maybe I am being dumb but is it possible that he just had a good year:dunno:
Haven't you been reading the papers? Any abnormally high performance from 1998-2004 must be attributed to steroids. Anyone who doesn't believe it is kidding themselves. Except A-Rod, Jeter, and Griffey because they're above that sort of thing.

Craig Grebeck
01-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Why are people so excited? What has he done over the last few years to warrant even being in baseball? Terrible, terrible move.

Ozzie loves his "gritty" (read: not very good) veterans, and I can easily see Erstad stunting Anderson's growth.

nodiggity59
01-24-2007, 02:01 PM
Why are people so excited? What has he done over the last few years to warrant even being in baseball? Terrible, terrible move.

Ozzie loves his "gritty" (read: not very good) veterans, and I can easily see Erstad stunting Anderson's growth.

How can any move Efor 750k be "terrible"? Especially when our starting LF is injured?

Gosox1917
01-24-2007, 02:06 PM
It's a terrific move. If and when this team is 100% healthy, it is one of the deepest in all of baseball, especially as far as the bench is concerned. Pablo, Cintron, Rob, Toby, and now Erstad...and possibly Fields or Sweeney if absolutley necessary...cover us at every position if a starter goes down. Fantastic job by Kenny.

maurice
01-24-2007, 02:09 PM
I don't think the Erstad signing is exciting, but it's certainly not terrible. He essentially is being brought in to replace Ross Gload, who was the last guy on the bench. We needed a guy who can play CF to fill that spot, and I don't think anybody here was too excited about Terrero.

roadrunner
01-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Haven't you been reading the papers? Any abnormally high performance from 1998-2004 must be attributed to steroids. Anyone who doesn't believe it is kidding themselves. Except A-Rod, Jeter, and Griffey because they're above that sort of thing.

While your attempt at sarcasm is cute, it is in fact true that any abnormally high performance from 98-04 must be questioned due to steroids. That fact even applies to players on the White Sox, players since signed by the White Sox and any players the White Sox might sign in the future. It doesn't mean he's not a decent player. It only means that when you look at a player's stats you have to take the possiblity of steroid use into account and temper expectations accordingly.

maurice
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
So your theory is that Erstad used steroids that single year, but he didn't use them before and didn't use them afterwards?

Most of the obvious steroid cases from that era peaked over a number of seasons, and didn't stop using (if at all) until the past couple of years.

russ99
01-24-2007, 02:24 PM
So your theory is that Erstad used steroids that single year, but he didn't use them before and didn't use them afterwards?

Most of the obvious steroid cases from that era peaked over a number of seasons, and didn't stop using (if at all) until the past couple of years.

Also, if that were he case, wouldn't have Erstad played a whole heck of a lot more the last 6 years, since one of the key benefits of steroids is quicker recovery time.

That alone would put Erstad near the bottom of the steroid-accused list, along with more obvious signs, like his smaller build and slight power numbers.

GoSox2K3
01-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Would you give it a rest already? Maybe there's a reason no one replied the first time you posted this.

What is it about his 2004 and 2005 stats that indicates that he doesn't "warrant even being in baseball". Unless your definition of the "last few years" is only an injury shortened 2006. I'm not saying he's still an all-star, but you are going over the top in your statement.

Is he guaranteed to be successful with us? No, but why is this a "terrible, terrible move"? Did the Sox give up anyone to trade for him? Did they sign him to a huge contract?

...and I don't agree with the idea that he'll stunt BA's growth. CF is still his job to lose. I actually think BA would benefit from having a plausible sub playing behind him.

roadrunner
01-24-2007, 02:32 PM
My point is simply that Erstad peaked in 2000. Since then he hasn't come within 60 pts of that BA, within 15 hrs and .140 in SLG. Normally, we would call that a career year. Since it occurred during the steroid era, the possiblity of steroid use must be considered.

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
While your attempt at sarcasm is cute, it is in fact true that any abnormally high performance from 98-04 must be questioned due to steroids. That fact even applies to players on the White Sox, players since signed by the White Sox and any players the White Sox might sign in the future. It doesn't mean he's not a decent player. It only means that when you look at a player's stats you have to take the possiblity of steroid use into account and temper expectations accordingly.
It works the other way too. Except in the obvious cases, it's wrong to just accuse a player without even remotely concrete evidence.

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Did you expect BA to play 162 games? We needed a backup CF, and Erstad is perfect, someone who can play solid defense and knows how to handle a bat. For the money he's getting (if the $750 figure is accurate), he knows he's not being paid to be a starter, so I don't see it being an issue. The fact that he can back up 1B and help in LF while Pods is out makes it even more of a perfect fit. I never thought that this good of a solution would be available and come so cheap.

By the way, "gritty" helped win us a WS in 2005.

nug0hs
01-24-2007, 02:55 PM
This also means....

NO MORE MACKOWIAK IN CENTER!
:bandance:

TDog
01-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Erstad is a much better player than Podsednik.

The big problem with Podsednik is his defense. Erstad is a much better outfielder. Erstad also is a better hitter. If the White Sox could replace Uribe with a solid-fielding shortstop who could do a good job leading off, they wouldn't need Podsednik at all. Really, Podsednik wasn't much of a leadoff hitter for most of last season.

As for Anderson, his growth will come when he works to improve his hitting. He will need work to eliminate the holes in his swing that the pitchers found season. He won't get it simply by going out to play every day.

I like this move,

ChiTownTrojan
01-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Erstad is a much better player than Podsednik.

The big problem with Podsednik is his defense. Erstad is a much better outfielder. Erstad also is a better hitter. If the White Sox could replace Uribe with a solid-fielding shortstop who could do a good job leading off, they wouldn't need Podsednik at all. Really, Podsednik wasn't much of a leadoff hitter for most of last season.

As for Anderson, his growth will come when he works to improve his hitting. He will need work to eliminate the holes in his swing that the pitchers found season. He won't get it simply by going out to play every day.

I like this move,
When Podsednik is healthy and playing well (ala first half of 2005), there are few players in the MLB who can bring what he can to the table. He has an uncanny ability to get in a pitcher's head and make him make mistakes once he gets on base. Of course, the key for him is getting on base in the first place. It remains to be seen whether or not he will be healthy and effective this season, but if he is he is definitely our starter in LF.

The Erstad signing is still a great move anyway.

White Sox Randy
01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
I think you guys that are expecting anything exceptional out of Erstad are going to be dissapointed.

Not only has he not been a good offensive player for years but he isn't healthy right now.

Hopefully, he'll get healthy and stay healthy and help the Sox defensively. But, this still looks like a weak outfield to me - about the same as last year.

oeo
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
I think you guys that are expecting anything exceptional out of Erstad are going to be dissapointed.

Not only has he not been a good offensive player for years but he isn't healthy right now.

Hopefully, he'll get healthy and stay healthy and help the Sox defensively. But, this still looks like a weak outfield to me - about the same as last year.

Where are you getting this information from? Because he wasn't healthy last year?

I'd imagine if he wasn't healthy, he wouldn't have been signed.

Craig Grebeck
01-24-2007, 03:31 PM
Last Five Seasons OPS+ (100 is the league average)

Last Five Seasons EQA (Takes into account baserunning, sacrifices. .260 is league average)

Don't try to tell me Erstad can "handle the bat." He can handle it below league average the last five seasons. PECOTA has Erstad checking in at .241/.295/.321. How gritty.

What would I have done? If we were so desperate for a capable backup 1B (assuming Rob couldn't handle it), why not sign Carlos Pena? After all, the guy can actually hit and wouldn't be a black hole like Erstad.

Use Terrero (PECOTA projectd .262/.312/.420) to backup Anderson.

Anyone who thinks he was the "missing piece" last year (in terms of attitude), how in the hell do you figure? Was he going to have all of our pitchers collectively pull their heads out of their butts and start pitching to their potential?

TDog
01-24-2007, 04:04 PM
When Podsednik is healthy ...

... he still isn't a very good left fielder.

russ99
01-24-2007, 04:23 PM

Last Five Seasons EQA (Takes into account baserunning, sacrifices. .260 is league average)

Don't try to tell me Erstad can "handle the bat." He can handle it below league average the last five seasons. PECOTA has Erstad checking in at .241/.295/.321. How gritty.

What would I have done? If we were so desperate for a capable backup 1B (assuming Rob couldn't handle it), why not sign Carlos Pena? After all, the guy can actually hit and wouldn't be a black hole like Erstad.

Anyone who thinks he was the "missing piece" last year (in terms of attitude), how in the hell do you figure? Was he going to have all of our pitchers collectively pull their heads out of their butts and start pitching to their potential?

Who's PECOTA? :tongue:

Fantasy baseball statistics aside, which I don't take very seriously (and neither does Kenny) , I don't think anyone expects Erstad to play a full season at either outfield spot in 2007.

But, he was what the Sox sorely needed last season, a veteran defensive outfielder who can play CF well and occasionally can pick up some pinch-hits and mentor the kids.

FedEx227
01-24-2007, 04:38 PM

Offense was not our problem last year. At least I don't believe so. The fact that we relied on a backup corner infielder to play CF cost us a majority of our games. I'm not worried about Erstad knocking the cover off the ball. All I want is solid defense and the occasional pinch hit.

Lillian
01-24-2007, 04:39 PM

I imagine that we would all like to know how healthy he is. Has the off season surgery to repair the torn ligament in his ankle completely resolved that issue?
Has the hamstring problem from a couple of years ago been healed? I read somewhere, that at one time it was recommended that he have surgery to repair that as well. Did he ever have that operation? What other injuries does he have?

Mickster
01-24-2007, 04:52 PM

You mean to tell me there is no stat for this? :rolleyes:

Craig Grebeck
01-24-2007, 04:56 PM
You mean to tell me there is no stat for this? :rolleyes:
I believe there's a variety of statistics that could explain why we didn't get to the postseason last year. Namely every pitching statistic in the book.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 05:02 PM

I think you must work for the Royals if you prefer Luis Terrero over Darin Erstad. There are stats, and then there all ballplayers that are not accurately measured by a simple formula. Erstad is one. Ryan Sweeney will be another one that's not impressive in black and white, but he's a player that helps your team win. We had all the offensive stats in the world last year, but we didn't have the ability to manufacture runs and we forgot how to do the little things.

nodiggity59
01-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I believe there's a variety of statistics that could explain why we didn't get to the postseason last year. Namely every pitching statistic in the book.

Bingo. Who cares who plays the outfield anyways as long as they play D. Erstad does that better than Pods or Mack.

spiffie
01-24-2007, 05:07 PM
I think you must work for the Royals if you prefer Luis Terrero over Darin Erstad. There are stats, and then there all ballplayers that are not accurately measured by a simple formula. Erstad is one. Ryan Sweeney will be another one that's not impressive in black and white, but he's a player that helps your team win. We had all the offensive stats in the world last year, but we didn't have the ability to manufacture runs and we forgot how to do the little things.
Bingo! this game is so much more complex than just simply numbers. I don't care what the stats say about Erstad. He is a winner, a gamer, a grinder, and a fighter. He has a great spirit and will help the team win not just by his actions on the field, but in the clubhouse. This was EXACTLY the kind of pickup we needed, to get back a bit of that 2005 grinder spirit. You can keep guys with the big numbers and lots of stats. That doesn't win games. Apparently lots of folks forgot 2005, when we won with heart and soul, not big gaudy numbers.

Craig Grebeck
01-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Bingo! this game is so much more complex than just simply numbers. I don't care what the stats say about Erstad. He is a winner, a gamer, a grinder, and a fighter. He has a great spirit and will help the team win not just by his actions on the field, but in the clubhouse. This was EXACTLY the kind of pickup we needed, to get back a bit of that 2005 grinder spirit. You can keep guys with the big numbers and lots of stats. That doesn't win games. Apparently lots of folks forgot 2005, when we won with heart and soul, not big gaudy numbers.
Jesus Christ! We had big, huge, humongous, ridiculous gaudy numbers in 2005! Our starters and relievers were absolutely incredible and that was the reason we won, not heart, determination, grit, etc. Decent starting pitching last season and there's a good chance we'd be talking dynasty.

You win games by acquiring good players. Erstad is not a good player. He can't hit for average, can't hit for power, can't take a walk, can't do a damn thing but stand up there and look gritty.

I'll take good players with garbage attitudes everyday of the week.

JermaineDye05
01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
FWIW Steve Stone stated on the score that the Darin Erstad acquisition is a reality, so I'm guessing he passed his physical and everything.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Jesus Christ! We had big, huge, humongous, ridiculous gaudy numbers in 2005! Our starters and relievers were absolutely incredible and that was the reason we won, not heart, determination, grit, etc. Decent starting pitching last season and there's a good chance we'd be talking dynasty.

You win games by acquiring good players. Erstad is not a good player. He can't hit for average, can't hit for power, can't take a walk, can't do a damn thing but stand up there and look gritty.

I remember winning with very average Pods (minus steals), Uribe and Rowand in 2005. You can't have the freakin' Yankees line-up or a video game roster. You need to have complementary, interchangeable parts like an Iguchi here, a Hermanson there. Not just superstars.

I hate Nebraska (OU fan) and I like this move. It gives us needed insurance for Anderson, and you can catch lightning in a bottle with a change of scenery for a driven, dedicated player like Erstad out to prove he still has it. That was the 2005 formula...players with chips on their shoulders. Last year, we were resting on our laurels and thinking we could just roll teams because of the offense carrying the team in the first half.

The White Sox offense in the 2005 season was DOA in the last two months. Everett slumped horribly. You can't compare it with the 2006 offense. If we didn't have Jenks, Contreras and McCarthy, we would have been reminiscing STILL about the worst collapse in baseball history, one the Tigers almost emulated last year.

nodiggity59
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM

You cannot have a dynasty without excellent starting pitching. You're still way overvaluing the importance of offensive production. The difference between a below average hitter and a great hitter is nothing compared to tremendous gap between a below average pitcher and a great pitcher in terms of importance to the team.

Erstad is an upgrade defensively over Pods and Mack. Who cares what he does at the plate?

Chisox003
01-24-2007, 05:23 PM

As long as a propellerhead can come up with a calculation or projection that *could* prove you to be right, you'd be on that side wouldn't you?

Winning is as much of an attitude as it is talent on the field. When you mix both together, as 2005 did and as Kenny is trying to do here, the end result is a damn good team. No projections, no mathematical formulas. Just players who know how to play baseball and win.

spiffie
01-24-2007, 05:29 PM
As long as a propellerhead can come up with a calculation or projection that *could* prove you to be right, you'd be on that side wouldn't you?

Winning is as much of an attitude as it is talent on the field. When you mix both together, as 2005 did and as Kenny is trying to do here, the end result is a damn good team. No projections, no mathematical formulas. Just players who know how to play baseball and win.
Amen.

I wish WSI could create a filter that banned any stats except for Wins and Losses and the final scores of games. Anything else is superfluous and only gives geeks with spreadsheets a reason to come and piss over the most beautiful game in the world. What the **** does it matter if a guy has a low OBP if he helps a team win? If someone's NARLYWHOOP is .0000438 lower than his PECOTA says he should be is he suddenly a bad player? Of course not? After all the 2005 White Sox were "supposed" to be a 2nd place team according to "Third order runs" or some such silliness.

FedEx227
01-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Amen.

I wish WSI could create a filter that banned any stats except for Wins and Losses and the final scores of games. Anything else is superfluous and only gives geeks with spreadsheets a reason to come and piss over the most beautiful game in the world. What the **** does it matter if a guy has a low OBP if he helps a team win? If someone's NARLYWHOOP is .0000438 lower than his PECOTA says he should be is he suddenly a bad player? Of course not? After all the 2005 White Sox were "supposed" to be a 2nd place team according to "Third order runs" or some such silliness.

I don't agree with that though. There are stats that can be used quite effectively if they are mixed with good ol' fashioned ability to play the game. Some people take it too far and judge an acquisition of a 4th OF based on his PECOTA rating which is a joke. But discussions such as ones about leadoff men pertaining to OBP are just fine and are great conversations. Not to mention the facts about defensive ratings (Zone, Range, etc.).

Count me as in the middle of the road. Why come here and bash somebody about a way they look at the game. Who says you're way is the only way. Just agree to disagree, I get so sick of hearing the term propellerheads and all that crap, it's just old. We get it, chewing tobacco, Cap Anson and old school baseball... we get it. Win, losses, game on the field, whatever... we get it, everyone who tries to analyze the game is an idiot.

Same for people who think stats are it, they aren't. Stats can lie and do on many instances.

I really wish this forum instead of jumping on everyone who comes with stats would just accept that thats how some people want to look at the game, and unless they are attacking you there is no reason to attack them.

CG was saying he thought the Erstad acquisition was a bad one, while according to the PECOTA numbers it is. However, based on what he'll be contributing to the them, stats like that really don't mean much, he is not going to be a primary player and we won't need to rely on his raw offensive numbers all that much.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 06:00 PM
Amen.

All Danny Wright, Freddy Garcia (06) and James Baldwin fans unite!!! Wins are all that matter for starters. Try telling that to Rocket the last couple of seasons in Houston, lol.

RIPcalderon
01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
I think this is a very sensible pickup. Erstad isn't a leadoff hitter when it comes to speed. Who says a leadoff hitter has to run? Let's worry about getting a leadoff man on base first. Something we had little to nothing of last season. Getting on base is what Erstad has done well in his career. I wouldn't exactly cringe at the thought of him leading off. Another option would have to be Ozuna leading off for a bit. In my opinion, he's better than Pods offensively and not that much worse defensively. He just makes nothing look easy. This was a good pickup, and we needn't worry about anything other than starting pitching at this point. More specifically a fifth starter. RESPECT!

RIPcalderon
01-24-2007, 06:12 PM
can anybody enlighten me as to what exactly Craig Grebeck is talking about? I trust that it's not the original Craig Grebeck. Craig Grebeck was the gritty player with little to no talent that this guys is referring to, not Darrin Erstad. Craig Grebeck never hit 355 for an entire season. RESPECT!

FarWestChicago
01-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I really wish this forum instead of jumping on everyone who comes with stats would just accept that thats how some people want to look at the game, and unless they are attacking you there is no reason to attack them.Unfortunately, attacking is what the propsters, for the most part, have done over and over and over and over. They are despised, in general, for good reason. :smile:

:fobbgod:

All should love my minions!!