PDA

View Full Version : Dullest Off Season Ever

01-23-2007, 03:29 PM
This year has got to be one of the dullest off seasons we had since 2004 when our signature move was signing Kelly Wunsch to a 1 yr deal.

skottyj242
01-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Since 2004 the only offseasons we've had were 2005 and this.

soxtalker
01-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Actually, I'd been thinking just the reverse -- this is one of the most exciting off seasons in a long time. Sure, KW didn't acquire any big-name veterans, but he appears to have completely changed his approach and restocked the (advanced -- AAA and AA) minor league pitching staffs. It's been pretty quiet the past 3 or 4 weeks, but the trades of Garcia and McCarthy generated a lot of discussion among Sox fans and the media.

ondafarm
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Perhaps Kenny should dump a few players for several nobodies just to make your off-season exciting.

The White Sox fielded a 90 win team when several players had off-years and the bullpen virtually blew apart. Now the bullpen is re-stocked and just by chance, the off-years should be fewer.

Sorry, I need no entertainment in the off-season from my baseball team, as long as I get plenty during the season and post-season.

01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
Since 2004 the only offseasons we've had were 2005 and this.

2005, 2006...then this one....

AJ Hellraiser
01-23-2007, 06:08 PM
Not every offseason is going to bring us Jim Thome and Javier Vazquez caliber players... you must have known this offseason wasn't going to be nearly as exciting or star-studded...

FedEx227
01-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Actually, I'd been thinking just the reverse -- this is one of the most exciting off seasons in a long time. Sure, KW didn't acquire any big-name veterans, but he appears to have completely changed his approach and restocked the (advanced -- AAA and AA) minor league pitching staffs. It's been pretty quiet the past 3 or 4 weeks, but the trades of Garcia and McCarthy generated a lot of discussion among Sox fans and the media.

Agreed. Anytime you can add a ton of great young arms it's exciting for me. No, we didn't add many established veterans but we set ourselves up for some fantastic years to come.

Jjav829
01-23-2007, 06:59 PM
This year has got to be one of the dullest off seasons we had since 2004 when our signature move was signing Kelly Wunsch to a 1 yr deal.

This offseason has hardly been dull. We've made two significant trades (Garcia and McCarthy), two more minor but potentially significant ones (Sisco-Gload and Cotts-Aardsma) and signed two solid veterans to hopefully improve certain areas of the team (Hall and Erstad). No, we didn't acquire any big names, but the lack of big names doesn't equal a dull offseason.

DarkHorse35
01-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Would it be more exciting to throw piles of money at overrated free agents like a certain other Chicago team is doing?

dwalteroo
01-24-2007, 12:21 PM
No, but one question....

Does anyone honestly think players are going to be cheaper next year? At what point do we get in the ring? I maybe understand not wanting to sign a free agent pitcher this year, but do we honestly think position players are going to be on sale next year?

spiffie
01-24-2007, 12:28 PM
No, but one question....

Does anyone honestly think players are going to be cheaper next year? At what point do we get in the ring? I maybe understand not wanting to sign a free agent pitcher this year, but do we honestly think position players are going to be on sale next year?
If someone looked at the market after Chan-Ho Park and Mike Hampton and all them signed, and Manny and Jeter and Rodriguez signed their huge deals, would anyone believe that someone like Konerko would sign for $12 million a year after 2005? The market ballooned because of a couple teams desperate to try and spend back into relevance, and that will drop back to a less insane level in the future just like it did the last time.

ChiSoxLifer
01-24-2007, 01:09 PM
Actually, this offseason is probably the most important the White Sox have had in years. Previous offseason transactions would have the most affect on that year and, possibly two years afterwards. This season, with the trades for young arms, affects this team for perhaps ten years or even more. Step back and look at the forest rather than the tree.

Jerksticks
01-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Step back and look at the forest rather than the tree.

Coolness.

thedudeabides
01-24-2007, 02:26 PM
Actually, this offseason is probably the most important the White Sox have had in years. Previous offseason transactions would have the most affect on that year and, possibly two years afterwards. This season, with the trades for young arms, affects this team for perhaps ten years or even more. Step back and look at the forest rather than the tree.

This offseason also created competition in every questionsable area. Something that I think needs to be recognized. If you want a spot in the outfield, bullpen, or as the fifth starter.....earn it. I like that. Just my opinion.

IndianWhiteSox
01-24-2007, 02:42 PM
There's an old adage," Sometimes no news is good news."

Jjav829
01-24-2007, 03:21 PM
No, but one question....

Yes, I do think the market will correct itself next year. For one, many owners have dished out a lot of money this year. They're not going to be willing to do that every offseason. Also, the market next year is set to have more talent available than this past offseason. Obviously not all of these players will reach free agency, but as of now, the following players will be free agents after 2007:

Bobby Abreu
Michael Barrett
Milton Bradley
Mark Buehrle
Eric Byrnes
Mike Cameron
Bartolo Colon
Francisco Cordero
Adam Dunn
Jermaine Dye
David Eckstein
Mark Ellis
Morgan Ensberg
Johnny Estrada
Eric Gagne
Freddy Garcia
Marcus Giles
Garlos Guillen
Livan Hernandez
Torii Hunter
Jason Isringhausen
Jason Jennings
Andruw Jones
Jeff Kent
Brad Lidge
Job Lieber
Scott Linebrink
Joe Nathan
Corey Patterson
Mark Prior
Francisco Rodriguez
Ivan Rodriguez
Aaron Rowand
Curt Schilling
Scot Shields
John Smoltz
Ichiro Suzuki
Mike Sweeney
Brad Wilkerson
Michael Young

There are some pretty good players of varying talent levels on that list. Simple supply and demand will tell you that the more quality players on the market, the less teams will be willing to pay.

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 04:39 AM
Yes, I do think the market will correct itself next year. For one, many owners have dished out a lot of money this year. They're not going to be willing to do that every offseason. Also, the market next year is set to have more talent available than this past offseason. Obviously not all of these players will reach free agency, but as of now, the following players will be free agents after 2007:

Bobby Abreu
Michael Barrett
Milton Bradley
Mark Buehrle
Eric Byrnes
Mike Cameron
Bartolo Colon
Francisco Cordero
Adam Dunn
Jermaine Dye
David Eckstein
Mark Ellis
Morgan Ensberg
Johnny Estrada
Eric Gagne
Freddy Garcia
Marcus Giles
Garlos Guillen
Livan Hernandez
Torii Hunter
Jason Isringhausen
Jason Jennings
Andruw Jones
Jeff Kent
Brad Lidge
Job Lieber
Scott Linebrink
Joe Nathan
Corey Patterson
Mark Prior
Francisco Rodriguez
Ivan Rodriguez
Aaron Rowand
Curt Schilling
Scot Shields
John Smoltz
Ichiro Suzuki
Mike Sweeney
Brad Wilkerson
Michael Young

There are some pretty good players of varying talent levels on that list. Simple supply and demand will tell you that the more quality players on the market, the less teams will be willing to pay.

Isn't Zambrano also going to be a free agent?