PDA

View Full Version : anybody know why Cubs forced out Sharon Pannazzo

Fenway
01-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Sharon Pannazzo who had worked in the Cubs media office for 25 years resigned in November and the rumors have been she was forced out. She has been replaced by Pete Chase who was the #2 media guy with the Red Sox.

Anybody hear the reason Sharon got the boot? I know she was not the friendliest media contact person at times.

champagne030
01-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Sharon Pannazzo who had worked in the Cubs media office for 25 years resigned in November and the rumors have been she was forced out. She has been replaced by Pete Chase who was the #2 media guy with the Red Sox.

Anybody hear the reason Sharon got the boot? I know she was not the friendliest media contact person at times.

I think her resignation caught the Flubs by surprise. There was a blurb in the Cubune a while back that 4 people had already turned down the position.

Viva Medias B's
01-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Supposedly, new Cubs president John McDonough ousted her. In media circles, Panozzo has a reputation of being difficult to deal with.

bryPt
01-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Supposedly, new Cubs president John McDonough ousted her. In media circles, Panozzo has a reputation of being difficult to deal with.

per score guys, she was an all out b word. They were all very happy she was gone. There were a bevy of bad things said about her by North, Murphy, the 2 mid-day guys and B & B.

FedEx227
01-23-2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah not many good words about her, I'm assuming in trying to whip the slate clean they decided she had to go.

champagne030
01-23-2007, 08:20 PM

That's a very PC way of saying it. Yes, she was..........I still would've thought they had someone lined up before the deed, instead of going to at least their 5th choice.

champagne030
01-23-2007, 08:23 PM
per score guys, she was an all out b word. They were all very happy she was gone. There were a bevy of bad things said about her by North, Murphy, the 2 mid-day guys and B & B.

All douchebags in their own right and the pot calling the kettle black, but they're right from what I know.

HotelWhiteSox
01-23-2007, 09:33 PM

I heard similar on am1000

bigfoot
01-23-2007, 09:48 PM
That's a very PC way of saying it. Yes, she was..........I still would've thought they had someone lined up before the deed, instead of going to at least their 5th choice.

With the state of TribCo is definite flux, perhaps the first four picks decided to stay where they were rather than have a shorter than expected tenure at the "Changing Confines"?

Fenway
01-23-2007, 11:14 PM
I know she was not spoken well of at www.sportsjournalists.com

I only dealt with her casually and we would talk about Boston as she went to school at UMass and her sister used to work for the Red Sox.

The media will like Peter Chase, he is a good guy and deserves a #1 job. Working in Chicago will be a breeze compared to the media crowd that follows Boston.

hsnterprize
01-25-2007, 05:57 AM
I can vouch for Pannonzo not exactly being the nicest person in the world to deal with. I covered games at Wrigley, and she would always seem to be on edge, and tried to basically control everyone as far as where to go and what to ask when the post-game news conferences occured. In fact, I remember after a Sox/Cubs game at the Cell...the CELL, mind you...that while Ozzie Guillen was talking to us press people, Shannon opened the door, interrupted Ozzie, and told him it was Dusty's turn to talk to the media. I was near the back of the media room (conference center), but I could almost see Ozzie's face turning about as red as possible. He wanted to go off on her, but instead, he gave her an evil look and uttered a couple of sylables...as if to say, "I'll get off this microphone when I damn well please. Who do you think you are...this isn't Wrigley."

I wish her well, but I hope her attitude gets better.

MeteorsSox4367
01-25-2007, 09:21 AM
In my dealings with Panozzo as a freelancer, I found her anything but friendly. To the Trib people and some of the beat guys she seemed cordial, but if she didn't know who you were, she was kinda cold. She'd also read the Sunday Trib while games were going on. I know it's a 162-game season, but at least act interested.

As for Scott Reifert, I always found him to be the opposite of Panozzo. Whether you were a beat guy or a freelancer filling in for a Saturday night game in September against Seattle, Reifert would at least say hello and introduce himself. Reifert's just a good guy.

chaerulez
01-25-2007, 10:03 AM
When the story broke on 670, I remember the Score's baseball beat reporter George Offman was asked I think by B&B about how he felt. He basically said how there is something called professionalism and that she didn't possess any of it.