PDA

View Full Version : Giants/AT&T Park getting a hi-def scoreboard

hsnterprize
01-23-2007, 05:34 AM
I confess...I'd like to see something like this at the Cell. I know we've beaten the "dead horse" of ballpark renovations to death, and the Sox have done a great job in renovating the Cell, but something like this (http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070116&content_id=1780342&vkey=pr_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf) would be nice on the south side.

What say you?

ewokpelts
01-23-2007, 07:37 AM
I confess...I'd like to see something like this at the Cell. I know we've beaten the "dead horse" of ballpark renovations to death, and the Sox have done a great job in renovating the Cell, but something like this (http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070116&content_id=1780342&vkey=pr_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf) would be nice on the south side.

What say you?

we have one, just not as big

Mickster
01-23-2007, 10:12 AM
we have one, just not as big

When did we get a hi-def scoreboard? :dunno:

ewokpelts
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
When did we get a hi-def scoreboard? :dunno:2003

chisoxmike
01-23-2007, 10:26 AM
I really, really want to go to the Giants park.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 10:43 AM

I didn't think it was HD either.

havelj
01-23-2007, 10:46 AM
White Sox Open 2003 Season with an All Star in Center Field
Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Vision® Display Offers Fans Outstanding Game Images
CYPRESS, Calif., April 2, 2003 --- The Chicago White Sox will open their 2003 season with a versatile all star in center field: a new Diamond Vision® LED scoreboard display. Created by Mitsubishi Electric Diamond Vision Systems, the LED (Light Emitting Diode) large-scale, video display measures 28 feet by 53 feet and features vivid colors and great viewing angles from nearly every seat in U.S. Cellular Field.

In addition to the main screen, Mitsubishi Electric also installed two 300-foot-long, five-foot-high video LED "ribbon" boards that will run along the facade of the ballpark’s upper deck. Those LEDs are the largest continuous video ribbon boards in Major League Baseball, and the highest-resolution video ribbons in professional sports. When synchronized with the center field display, the LED ribbon boards can layer graphics and scoring in real time over video, as well as import animations, text, video and graphic images.

"The White Sox wanted a video system that reflects the exciting, explosive team that we put on the field," said Terry Savarise, White Sox vice president of stadium operations. "The upgrading of our scoreboard video and the addition of the LED boards give us the very latest in technology, and will be a great source of entertainment and information for fans.
"Also, because the White Sox are hosting the 2003 Major League Baseball All Star Game, it was critical to find a display that enhances the beauty of U.S. Cellular Field. We visited several stadiums across the country, and the Diamond Vision screen was clearly the best we saw," Savarise added.

The Diamond Vision video display screen will be one of the highest-resolution screens in Major League Baseball, featuring 672 x 1280 dot density, jitter-free images and HDTV, and true wide-screen compatibility. Housing more than 1,680 LED modules with more than 860,000 color dots, the Diamond Vision screen can create more than one billion colors to present faithful reproduction of video images, seamless animations and spectacular viewing angles.

In the last two years, Mitsubishi Electric has installed more than 85 Diamond Vision screens for sports, entertainment and advertising use in premier venues across the country. Recent installations include the Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium for the Denver Broncos; Yankee Stadium; the new Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas; and an 11-screen display on Times Square in New York City. NBA/NHL facilities include Staples Center in Los Angeles, home of the Lakers and Kings; Conseco Fieldhouse, home of the NBA Indiana Pacers; The Palace at Auburn Hills, home of the NBA Detroit Pistons; and Philips Arena in Atlanta, home of the NHL Thrashers and NBA Hawks. Collegiate installations include Penn State University, Southern Methodist University, University of Kentucky, Texas Tech University, Brigham Young University, and University of Nebraska.

Mitsubishi Electric was the first company to introduce large-scale video display boards for the 1980 Major League Baseball All-Star game at Dodger Stadium. Today, Mitsubishi Electric’s flagship product is the Diamond Vision LEDerboard®, a full-color, LED (light emitting diode) display system which merges the company’s expertise in large-scale video displays with LED technology. The result is a stunning, high-resolution video image from a thinner, lighter, energy-efficient medium, with an amazing 170-degree horizontal viewing angle and a 1.5 times improved image resolution. Mitsubishi Electric’s Colorspace Conversion technology converts the chromaticity of each color of the LED display to more accurately reproduce the colors of the original image. Whether the audience is viewing a sporting event or a concert, the image they see on a Diamond Vision large-scale video display is as clear and true-to-life as the actual event they are watching.

Mickster
01-23-2007, 10:46 AM

In 2003, the ISFA installed a full-color, high resolution 28x53 foot video screen.

Edit: Thanks, havelj!

Fenway
01-23-2007, 11:01 AM
The USCF board is not Hi-Def there were only 2 in the country before the Giants ordered theirs...

Construction of this 56,420-pound, multimillion-dollar marvel is currently under way and should be completed by Opening Day, making AT&T Park the third outdoor hi-def display in North American pro sports venues, joining Turner Field in Atlanta and Dolphin Stadium in Miami.

Giants to unveil new scoreboard in '07 (http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070117&content_id=1781518&vkey=news_sf&fext=.jsp&c_id=sf)

these boards have a life span of about 10 years so expect a new board around 2013...

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Hmm, it seems like there is a conflict of information here. It can be interpreted from the press release that The Cell's screen is HDTV ready but current images are not in HD.

Fenway
01-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Hmm, it seems like there is a conflict of information here. It can be interpreted from the press release that The Cell's screen is HDTV ready but current images are not in HD.

Since Mitsubishi Electric is the manufacturer of both the board at The Cell and in San Fran I would think they would know what is hi-def and what is not. They also made the board in Atlanta

http://www.diamond-vision.com/

http://www.diamond-vision.com/photos/temp/cf45920ec446d00981b3d2145e4fce7c.jpg

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Since Mitsubishi Electric is the manufacturer of both the board at The Cell and in San Fran I would think they would know what is hi-def and what is not. They also made the board in Atlanta

http://www.diamond-vision.com/

But is The Cell's screen HDTV-ready? The 2003 press release seems to indicate it is.

MisterB
01-23-2007, 11:51 AM
But is The Cell's screen HDTV-ready? The 2003 press release seems to indicate it is.

On the DiamondVision site the Cell's board is in the 'HD-Ready' category, while the one from Turner Field is listed as currently running in HD. I would assume the difference is in the video processing feeding into the display, so at some point the Sox could upgrade their hardware to HD and the display would be able to handle it.

FedEx227
01-23-2007, 11:55 AM
I'd rather fix our out-of-town scoreboard first. That thing looks OOOOLD.

Fenway
01-23-2007, 12:01 PM
On the DiamondVision site the Cell's board is in the 'HD-Ready' category, while the one from Turner Field is listed as currently running in HD. I would assume the difference is in the video processing feeding into the display, so at some point the Sox could upgrade their hardware to HD and the display would be able to handle it.

The White Sox still haven't sprung to hardwire the Cell for Hi-Def meaning crews have to wire from the truck.... but the White Sox are not really t blame for this as Trio Video can't make up its mind what it wants there.

Fenway by comparison is heaven, simply plug and play. ( for up to 3 seperate feeds )

havelj
01-23-2007, 12:39 PM

One nice thing I noticed last season is that they updated the scores much better than in the past.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 12:47 PM
One nice thing I noticed last season is that they updated the scores much better than in the past.

Oh man, it was terrible a couple years ago. I remember checking scores on my phone because it was so far behind. There were games that had ended yet the scoreboard still showed it was in the 6th inning.

01-23-2007, 01:07 PM
Great ballpark even better.

Hitmen77
01-23-2007, 01:29 PM

....that and the fact that the aux. scoreboard - which is the only place at the Cell to see some key game information (line score, R-H-E totals, lineups) - is obstructed at a significant number of seats on the 3rd base side of the park.

I'd rather the Sox first find a way to address that problem than show us birthday messages on the main "scoreboard" in HD.

I like how Atlanta's main hi-res scoreboard has room for video AND game information.

skobabe8
01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
....that and the fact that the aux. scoreboard - which is the only place at the Cell to see some key game information (line score, R-H-E totals, lineups) - is obstructed at a significant number of seats on the 3rd base side of the park.

I'd rather the Sox first find a way to address that problem than show us birthday messages on the main "scoreboard" in HD.

I like how Atlanta's main hi-res scoreboard has room for video AND game information.

Thats the kicker. We could have one just as big as the shape of our scoreboard and display all of the box score info, video, AND EVEN ADS($$$$) in HD.

Arkham
01-24-2007, 07:58 PM
The difference between the terms "HD-ready" and "HD" is completely meaningless when talking about a scoreboard.

An "HD-ready" television is a TV that has the resolution to display a high-def signal, but simply lacks the tuner typically located in a cable box or satellite receiver. Whether the tuner that processes the images is located behind the monitor or in a control room near the press box is irrelevant to someone viewing the board, and given the relative cost, it's highly unlike the team spent millions on a scoreboard and chintzed a few grand on the tuner. Both boards use the same technology to produce a picture. The difference between the board at USCF and AT&T is the resolution (quoted at 1280x672 for USCF, 1480x832). The difference is about 800-900,000 dots vs 3 million.

RKMeibalane
01-25-2007, 07:38 AM

What say you?

I just think it's interesting that there is something else in the Bay Area that's juiced up.