PDA

View Full Version : Upton or Young available in trade talks

getonbckthr
01-23-2007, 12:47 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=170083

Talk about a perfect fit for our White Sox. Tampa needs young effective pitching and we have concerns on our outfield. I think I could live with an outfield of Sweeney, Young and Anderson starting in 08 and lasting at least 4 seasons.

caulfield12
01-23-2007, 08:47 AM
Young would cost too much.

Upton has potential, but I don't think he will hit for enough power as a corner outfielder. If we got Upton, he would have to play SS.

Obviously, the D-Rays moved him from SS to 3B to outfield for a reason. He has considerable defensive issues. Has a lot of raw "tools," but far from a refined player.

They're simply not dumb enough to trade Young, unless some more behind the scenes/off the field stuff is going on (character issues, like J. Hamilton). It's either Baldelli or Upton, it would see, and all reports are that TB is asking way too much for Rocco.

FedEx227
01-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Upton would go first because frankly they can't find a spot to put him defensively. He was terrible at SS, and OF is so jammed in TB. I suppose he'd be an alright fit, again though ::cue hawk:: Where's he gonna play?!

soxtalker
01-23-2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=170083

Talk about a perfect fit for our White Sox. Tampa needs young effective pitching and we have concerns on our outfield. I think I could live with an outfield of Sweeney, Young and Anderson starting in 08 and lasting at least 4 seasons.

Well, one recurring theme among a segment of fans here on WSI is that KW traded for all these young pitchers mainly to be able to trade them away. This seems to fall into that category. Maybe. I think that I'd be more likely to buy an argument for possible trade if Tampa needed experienced pitching -- and if they were willing to throw in some minor league pitching in addition.

caulfield12
01-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Well, one recurring theme among a segment of fans here on WSI is that KW traded for all these young pitchers mainly to be able to trade them away. This seems to fall into that category. Maybe. I think that I'd be more likely to buy an argument for possible trade if Tampa needed experienced pitching -- and if they were willing to throw in some minor league pitching in addition.

TB is 2 years away from needing experienced pitching. They just need to let their young pitchers get some time under their belts, then, potentially they would be a candidate to add a similar pitcher to Vazquez or Garcia.

With the AL East, though, getting past Baltimore would be the most they can hope for. That division might be as good as the AL Central this year, if not a step or two ahead.

Taliesinrk
01-23-2007, 09:13 AM
once again, this thread's title is misleading (unless i missed something). all the article says is that they're listening to offers.. hardly that one WILL be traded..

Jjav829
01-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Upton would go first because frankly they can't find a spot to put him defensively. He was terrible at SS, and OF is so jammed in TB. I suppose he'd be an alright fit, again though ::cue hawk:: Where's he gonna play?!

At the right price, I'd love to bring in Upton to challenge Pods as our leadoff hitter and left fielder. He can't be that much worse than Pods defensively, and it is left field.

skottyj242
01-23-2007, 09:59 AM
TB is 2 years away from needing experienced pitching. They just need to let their young pitchers get some time under their belts, then, potentially they would be a candidate to add a similar pitcher to Vazquez or Garcia.

With the AL East, though, getting past Baltimore would be the most they can hope for. That division might be as good as the AL Central this year, if not a step or two ahead.

How do you figure?

oeo
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM

They're not going to trade away the pitching that was just acquired. It was acquired because we didn't have much depth in the minors. Kenny has said it time and time again that he lost a lot of youth, trading for veterans. The pitching is going to stay.

And, besides, even if he were to do that...how does that make the team better? Both now, and for the long run. Many say that we're going to have have a problem with our 5th starter...well trading away more pitching isn't going to fix that situation.

We need a 4th outfielder that can play CF effectively. If we don't get that, we're in the same bull**** situation we were in last year.

FedEx227
01-23-2007, 10:51 AM
At the right price, I'd love to bring in Upton to challenge Pods as our leadoff hitter and left fielder. He can't be that much worse than Pods defensively, and it is left field.

Yes, there's absolutely no reason the Sox can't have Upton learn LF. Unfortunately, he's had a lot of troubles on and off the field and I doubt he would want to sit anymore years, he complained 2 years ago about not getting major league time.

maurice
01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Young is amazingly talented, but he's a total nutcase. Apparently, it runs in the family.

At this point, I wouldn't even consider playing him anywhere else.

caulfield12
01-23-2007, 11:47 AM
He played 3B quite a bit last year before they shifted him to the outfield. But he was very shaky. Obviously, he has the arm strength.

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 06:26 AM
The guy can flat out hit but the thing is, probably some NL team would trade for him,maybe San Diego, because they're desperate for offense. But seriously, I wish he was a good defender at SS so the Sox could trade for him but that's a mute point now.

maurice
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
If he were a good defender at SS, Tampa wouldn't trade him . . . at least not for a few more years.

DSpivack
01-26-2007, 01:00 PM
I got really excited when I saw the thread title as I was thinking Arizona was saying Justin Upton and Chris Young were available. :tongue: