PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Hill History?

DrCrawdad
03-12-2002, 05:47 PM
I know some of the Bobby Hill story of why he didn't sign with the White Sox, but maybe if someone else can fill in some details for me.

The Sox drafted Hill in 2000? What number was he taken? Did the Cubs pass Hill on that first draft?

Hill was drafted by the Sox but the two couldn't come to an agreement on the signing bonus. Hill's agent Scott Boras no doubt played a big part in this.

Hill never signed with the Sox and played a year in semi-pro ball. Then Hill was drafted by the Cubs in 2001, right?

What signing bonus did Hill get from the Cubs? What did the Sox offer Hill? What has Hill seeking from the Sox? Did he gain anything by holding out and not signing with the Sox?

I've heard quite a bit about this Hill matter, but I don't know if there was ever an article comparing the Sox offer to what Hill finalling signed for with the Cubs.

Of course I also heard WGN's Dave Kaplan interview Hill. Kaplan keep trying to get Hill to take shots at the White Sox. To Hills credit, Hill never lashed out at the Sox.

I'd like to get the correct, straight details on this Hill matter, before I start hearing about it from Cubbie fans.

Thanks,
DrCrawdad.

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
I know some of the Bobby Hill story of why he didn't sign with the White Sox, but maybe if someone else can fill in some details for me.

The Sox drafted Hill in 2000? What number was he taken? Did the Cubs pass Hill on that first draft?

Hill was drafted by the Sox but the two couldn't come to an agreement on the signing bonus. Hill's agent Scott Boras no doubt played a big part in this.

Hill never signed with the Sox and played a year in semi-pro ball. Then Hill was drafted by the Cubs in 2001, right?

What signing bonus did Hill get from the Cubs? What did the Sox offer Hill? What has Hill seeking from the Sox? Did he gain anything by holding out and not signing with the Sox?

I've heard quite a bit about this Hill matter, but I don't know if there was ever an article comparing the Sox offer to what Hill finalling signed for with the Cubs.

Of course I also heard WGN's Dave Kaplan interview Hill. Kaplan keep trying to get Hill to take shots at the White Sox. To Hills credit, Hill never lashed out at the Sox.

I'd like to get the correct, straight details on this Hill matter, before I start hearing about it from Cubbie fans.

Thanks,
DrCrawdad.

Hill was a second round draft pick (66th) overall of the White Sox out of Miami (FL) in 1999. He was (and is) represented by uber-agent Scott Boras. The Sox were willing to pay him above slot money, right around 750 K, but he chose not to sign, and he played in the Atlantic League for a season. He re-entered the draft, and the Cubs chose him in the 2nd round, #43 overall, and gave him a $1.425 million bonus.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

He re-entered the draft, and the Cubs chose him in the 2nd round, #43 overall, and gave him a $1.425 million bonus.

And it would have been more expect Bobby showed big holes in his game in that he refused to bean people in the eye when they are on-deck...probably cost the kid 750 K

FarmerAndy
03-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Hank and Peggy aren't big south side fans, so they didn't want Bobby to sign with the Sox.

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

And it would have been more expect Bobby showed big holes in his game in that he refused to bean people in the eye when they are on-deck...probably cost the kid 750 K

ruthless! oh man...

i love this place

:gulp: