PDA

View Full Version : Why Jeff Liefer should be traded

MattSharp
03-12-2002, 03:13 PM
I know that the constant conversation here is about Crede not palying over Clayton, but Jeff Liefer has also showed some bat this spring. The way I saw it now he would be on the bench with Aaron Rowand and/or Brian Simmons. He can play a couple of positions, but should he be traded? I mean he thinks hes good enough to start elsewhere (like another team), I disagree. The Sox have a log jam at third so he doesn't fit into the picture there. That leaves LF, RF, or 1B. Mags isn't going anywhere and CLee is having a great spring (leading MLB in average). Konerko is on the verge of a big year and you can't take his bat away. So that doesn't leave a spot for him except on the bench. I would keep 5 guys on the bench. The backup C, whoever it is, Graffanino, Liefer, Simmons, Rowand. Simmons and Rowand can pretty much play anywhere in the OF. Plus Liefer can play out there too. The Sox have a deep versatile bench, but not if Liefer is gonna be unhappy. I don't think the Sox can afford to shuffle their lineup to get him playing time. I think his value is high now and if they can get something legitimate for him, I say make the move.....

baggio202
03-12-2002, 03:19 PM
i think i t would be hard to get fair value for liefer...i thought the best chance we had of moving him might have been with the dodgers...who really need to replace karros at 1st....i thought there might be a howry/liefer for maybe gagne/odalis perez...something like that...a couple of young pitchers from the dodgers for those guys...or maybe for andrian beltre...if liefer was gonna be moved i think thats where he was needed most...

as the season goes on if this pena guy from oakland deosnt work out ill bet liefer becomes attractive to them...

some fans from the braves were on the mlb board talking about liefer...they see him as a ryan klesko type...that could bea possibility too..i think they are going with a rookie first baseman

Soxboyrob
03-12-2002, 04:11 PM
I just don't like the idea of trading the only true lefty power hitter on the team. He homers in 1 of every 14 at bats. Maybe after Borch is on the team and can provide a lefty power stick we should look at trading Liefer, but for now I'm for keeping Lief unless someone knocks my socks off with an offer for him.

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 04:16 PM
I disagree. Liefer was too good last year to get rid of. You had mentioned that Carlos Lee was having a good spring. Doesn't he always. It's not so much his hitting that was the problem. It's his fielding. He stands out in left field juggling his glove & doesn't pay attention to the batter. Then he drops the ball.

Liefer stays!

voodoochile
03-12-2002, 04:18 PM
I would prefer to keep Leifer this year because he not only is versatile defensively, but because he is our only solid LH bat on the bench. Keeping him would negate the need to keep both Simmons AND Rowand (Leifer can play the corners and Graffy can even play left in a pinch). We really don't need a defensive replacement in CF anyway (theoretically).

Besides, there is a fair chance that Konehead is gone after this season - especially if he has a monster year and asks for the world when he hits FA. Leifer gives us a legitimate power hitter to replace him with if that happens (not saying I WANT it to, but it is a possibility). Also, I am not sold on Lee as a 1B given his obvious defensive shortcomings.

We really don't know what position we need right now anyway (other than catcher, and I doubt they bump Sandy either way). Give the season a chance to get going. If Leifer has a productive first half he would make excellent trade bait in addition to a couple of AAA prospects for a veteran starter, relief help or another position that the Sox need to fill.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-12-2002, 04:33 PM
if only we could have another DH bat for Royce.
:hitless
"We got another guy named Royce? I know you aint talkin' 'bout me."

bjmarte
03-12-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
I disagree. Liefer was too good last year to get rid of. You had mentioned that Carlos Lee was having a good spring. Doesn't he always. It's not so much his hitting that was the problem. It's his fielding. He stands out in left field juggling his glove & doesn't pay attention to the batter. Then he drops the ball.

Liefer stays!

Carlos Lee = 'La Vaca'

duke of dorwood
03-12-2002, 04:46 PM
This guy hustles-everywhere he is put. Watch him in the outfielder-he's the only guy we hve out there that backs up bases. AND he is a great source of power-what you need in the AL to compete. He gotta stay.

Daver
03-12-2002, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I would prefer to keep Leifer this year because he not only is versatile defensively, but because he is our only solid LH bat on the bench. Keeping him would negate the need to keep both Simmons AND Rowand (Leifer can play the corners and Graffy can even play left in a pinch). We really don't need a defensive replacement in CF anyway (theoretically).

Besides, there is a fair chance that Konehead is gone after this season - especially if he has a monster year and asks for the world when he hits FA. Leifer gives us a legitimate power hitter to replace him with if that happens (not saying I WANT it to, but it is a possibility). Also, I am not sold on Lee as a 1B given his obvious defensive shortcomings.

We really don't know what position we need right now anyway (other than catcher, and I doubt they bump Sandy either way). Give the season a chance to get going. If Leifer has a productive first half he would make excellent trade bait in addition to a couple of AAA prospects for a veteran starter, relief help or another position that the Sox need to fill.

Konerkos is subject to arbitration in 2003,it is up to the Sox if he stays.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 06:18 PM
The Key is what you can get....I'm not a big proponent of dealing Liefer....but if we could get something in a deal around him(like a 3rd starter) than I'm for it, otherwise he can be a nice bench player to have and hopefully Jerry gets him some at-bats

AsInWreck
03-12-2002, 07:01 PM
I want Leifer on this team, I think the sox will have a great bench this year w/ rowand, liefer,graff, and my money is still on wee harris- that would be an awesome bench- you've got good defense and a good rh bat in rowand, liefer is
an awesome lh homerun hitter to have in reserve,graff is solid all around, and harris you've got a multi-tooled speed demon- i think it could be one of the best benches in the game- plus the sox may need liefer in the future, maybe even this year -it would be good to have a serious threat to replace one of the big boys if they go down

idseer
03-12-2002, 07:12 PM
i think it's safe to say most sox fans like leifer. i do too. but as matt said we are all full at the positions he can play. i think he is expendable if the sox make a simple change. make valentin the lefthanded bat off the bench! put crede at 3rd.
i think the sox could get either a decent catcher or a decent pitcher for leifer's potential.

Daver
03-12-2002, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i think it's safe to say most sox fans like leifer. i do too. but as matt said we are all full at the positions he can play. i think he is expendable if the sox make a simple change. make valentin the lefthanded bat off the bench! put crede at 3rd.
i think the sox could get either a decent catcher or a decent pitcher for leifer's potential.

Any idea on who is going to be willing to give up a decent catcher,or even a good prospect,for an unproven player in Liefer?

I would like to see the list.

idseer
03-12-2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by daver

Any idea on who is going to be willing to give up a decent catcher,or even a good prospect,for an unproven player in Liefer?

I would like to see the list.

sorry ... no list. you're right, of course, he's unproven. but i think his potential to bust a home run every 3rd or 4th game might be enticing to someone.

Daver
03-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by idseer

sorry ... no list. you're right, of course, he's unproven. but i think his potential to bust a home run every 3rd or 4th game might be enticing to someone.

Had he been given enough games at one position to establish something for a scout to base a firm opinion on,I might agree with you,but that is not the case.His value right now would be the equvilent of a mid-level prospect,the Sox are better off keeping him.