PDA

View Full Version : Neighborhood update...

rdivaldi
01-21-2007, 01:29 AM
On my way home today I decided to take a quick detour by the ballpark and check out the progress on the new condominiums and single family homes across the highway on State Street. I think people are going to be shocked when they get off the Green Line on Opening Day and see how nice that area has become and just how different it is going to look. Driving through the intersection on 35th and State it feels like you could be on any nice block in the South Loop, it's almost surreal.

I noticed that the final high-rise slum on 37th is in the process of being gutted and ripped down as well. It's hard to believe that awful wall of public housing that stuck out so badly across the highway will be completely gone after all those years.

Wish I had my camera handy or I woulda snapped some pictures...

skobabe8
01-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Its comin along. I wish that last high rise would come down already, but they are making progress. I'm looking forward to the new police station on 31st and Halsted as well. Should be really nice. They havent broke ground yet, but theres a big picture out there showing what it will look like.

DumpJerry
01-21-2007, 12:49 PM
I have a client who is buying one of those townhomes at 35th and State. I'm very jealous of the floor plan and location. They have skyrocketed in value since he did the contract nearly two years ago.

tony1972
01-21-2007, 12:50 PM
I drove through the area on the way home from work Friday..

Are they tearing down the apartments directly south of the ballpark (west of Dan Ryan from 36th to 39th?)..they looked vacated and some looked as if they were being torn down? Are there plans for that area too?

As nice as it is too see the new development..what about the people who live in those apartments? It doesn't seem right to me to just tell them to leave...(unless they were pretty empty to begin with)..

DumpJerry
01-21-2007, 12:56 PM

Are they tearing down the apartments directly south of the ballpark (west of Dan Ryan from 36th to 39th?)..they looked vacated and some looked as if they were being torn down? Are there plans for that area too?

As nice as it is too see the new development..what about the people who live in those apartments? It doesn't seem right to me to just tell them to leave...(unless they were pretty empty to begin with)..
Your question about what happened to the people living there has been a heated political debate/argument for over 10 years beginning when the City started tearing down the high-rise CHA buildings. Let's not answer that question here to keep this thread alive.

roylestillman
01-21-2007, 01:06 PM
The low rise townhomes - Wentworth Gardens - are being renovated. A few of the buildings were torn down to ease density issues. It looks like a few months before anybody will be able to move back in though, I wish the Sox or MLB would commemorate this site, which was the location of Southside Park, the original home of the White Sox and thereafter home to Negro League baseball through about 1940.

Hitmen77
01-21-2007, 01:58 PM
This ran in the Sun-Times about a month ago:

http://www.suntimes.com/classifieds/homes/homelife/174482,HOS-News-open17j.article

chisoxfanatic
01-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Its comin along. I wish that last high rise would come down already, but they are making progress. I'm looking forward to the new police station on 31st and Halsted as well. Should be really nice. They havent broke ground yet, but theres a big picture out there showing what it will look like.

Is it gonna be on that vacant piece of land on the SW corner of that intersection? What will they do with the rest of those two-story poorly-kept things that look like townhomes? I'd hope those would go down in favor of nicer looking housing.

skobabe8
01-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Is it gonna be on that vacant piece of land on the SW corner of that intersection? What will they do with the rest of those two-story poorly-kept things that look like townhomes? I'd hope those would go down in favor of nicer looking housing.

Yep, SW corner of 31st and Halsted. They have the lot further south (32nd and Halsted) fenced off as well, so I assume they may have the rights to that one and may use it for parking possibly. Just my guess, though. Those homes you are speaking of are all being rehabbed. There is construction all over that little complex. Its hard to tell yet if they are giving those homes a small facelift or major changes.

thomas35forever
01-22-2007, 01:40 AM
I think people are going to be shocked when they get off the Red Line on Opening Day and see how nice that area has become and just how different it is going to look.
Fixed it for you.

RadioheadRocks
01-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Fixed it for you.

Actually since the Green Line runs closer to State Street, and given how many fans may take it as an alternative to avoid the construction mess on the Red Line, I believe the original post is correct.

rdivaldi
01-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Fixed it for you.

I did mean the Green Line, but I guess Red Line riders could look East and notice the dramatic change as well.

nasox
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Fixed it for you.

Well it says you live in Lombard, so we'll let the CTA transgression pass. :tongue:

maurice
01-22-2007, 03:42 PM
What will they do with the rest of those two-story poorly-kept things that look like townhomes?

For all intents and purposes, that is the same as Wentworth Gardens (discussed earlier in the thread).

The police station is still up in the air. The city intends to demolish much of that stretch of Halsted for future development. In the past, they needed to attach some type of public facility (like a police station) to the taking. That's no longer the case, so it should be really interesting in the coming years.

skottyj242
01-22-2007, 03:57 PM
They tore down the smoke stack that was in front of the last building between Friday night and Saturday night.

skobabe8
01-22-2007, 06:28 PM
For all intents and purposes, that is the same as Wentworth Gardens (discussed earlier in the thread).

The police station is still up in the air. The city intends to demolish much of that stretch of Halsted for future development. In the past, they needed to attach some type of public facility (like a police station) to the taking. That's no longer the case, so it should be really interesting in the coming years.

Thats interesting to know. Like I said, they have an artists rendering of what the police station is supposed to look like displayed on the fence for all to see. I assumed it was a done deal. That could explain why they havent broken ground yet i guess.

Daver
01-22-2007, 06:44 PM
The improvements to the south loop are going to continue to march south, I spent a good chunk of the weekend going over prints for a 28 unit condo building that is going to be built at 23rd and Michigan, and the developer is looking into property even further south.

rdivaldi
01-22-2007, 09:50 PM
The improvements to the south loop are going to continue to march south, I spent a good chunk of the weekend going over prints for a 28 unit condo building that is going to be built at 23rd and Michigan, and the developer is looking into property even further south.

Yeah, they are doing quite a bit of development on the old "Motor Row". I'm anxiously awaiting the 2 new high rises and the movie theater that are going to be built on Cermak in between Wabash and Indiana.

maurice
01-22-2007, 11:54 PM
I mentioned this before, but the area south of the Stevenson and east of the Dan Ryan already is built up far more than most people realize. The 2 hospitals and IIT have attracted a lot of professionals to the area over the years, and Bronzeville has been attracting a lot of professionals recently. The southern stretch of the lakefront park (aka Burnham Park) has been undergoing improvements for several years now.

OTOH, there still are a lot of projects along State St. and south of Cermak, and they're not going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

ewokpelts
01-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Isnt this kind a dead horse issue now?
The Sox drew 3 million fans, local and national press love the rennovations and the surrounding areas. Parking was actually better in 2006 than in previous years. The Dan Ryan Traffic didnt screw up too many fans' commutes. The Metra Station is chugging along. There's improved cta/pace service(with pace adding a special route).

Does the neighborhood of 35th and Michigan really matter now?

rdivaldi
01-23-2007, 12:35 PM
The Sox drew 3 million fans, local and national press love the rennovations and the surrounding areas. Parking was actually better in 2006 than in previous years. The Dan Ryan Traffic didnt screw up too many fans' commutes. The Metra Station is chugging along. There's improved cta/pace service(with pace adding a special route).

Absolutely. That is a very important project for the city as a whole and could shift the balance of opinion about the South side of the city. There are still entirely too many people locally and nationally that view the area around the ballpark as one big ghetto. We might know differently, millions of Sox fans might know differently, but a large portion of the general public doesn't.

ewokpelts
01-23-2007, 12:45 PM

Absolutely. That is a very important project for the city as a whole and could shift the balance of opinion about the South side of the city. There are still entirely too many people locally and nationally that view the area around the ballpark as one big ghetto. We might know differently, millions of Sox fans might know differently, but a large portion of the general public doesn't. i think you missed something

MeteorsSox4367
01-23-2007, 02:47 PM
I literally happen to work on the corner of 35th and Michigan (it's not at Church's chicken and it's not at CPD headquarters) and have seen firsthand the changes in the neighborhood. Hopefully, people's perceptions about the neighborhood will continue to change.

The neighborhood is so close to downtown and the Cell. By the way, with all these people moving into the neighborhood, if they happen to have kids, there's a certain high school on 35th and Michigan that offers a great education with an ethnically diverse student body.

Of course, I'm biased because I work at De La Salle, but with entities like the Sox, IIT, the CPD and us among others on 35th, the foundation for a thriving neighborhood is in place.

rdivaldi
01-23-2007, 03:02 PM
i think you missed something

I didn't miss it, I just don't agree with that assumption. There are things that need to change before the national media and some in the local media come to the realization that the area around the Cell has become gentrified.

ewokpelts
01-23-2007, 03:25 PM
I didn't miss it, I just don't agree with that assumption. There are things that need to change before the national media and some in the local media come to the realization that the area around the Cell has become gentrified.um,.....they are raving about it NOW...as in NOW they are saying it's nice...a couple of torn down projects isnt going to steer it to good...it's already a better perception....

rdivaldi
01-23-2007, 04:36 PM
um,.....they are raving about it NOW...as in NOW they are saying it's nice...a couple of torn down projects isnt going to steer it to good...it's already a better perception....

I'll agree that there is a much better perception out there, but there is still more work to be done. When that final high-rise comes down on 37th, that will be the end of an era and truly signify to the passers-by that a new South Side is rising. Public perception takes awhile to change, we're on the right track but like I said, there's more work to be done.

IlliniSox
01-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I'll agree that there is a much better perception out there, but there is still more work to be done. When that final high-rise comes down on 37th, that will be the end of an era and truly signify to the passers-by that a new South Side is rising. Public perception takes awhile to change, we're on the right track but like I said, there's more work to be done.

I'm counting on the new era. I just moved into a condo at 35th and Prarie, the view is right into the ballpark to the west and the loop to the north from my unit. Demolition and construction taking place everywhere. Retail is a little behind but hopefully coming.

Does anyone know if Park Boulevard will have retail similar to University Village on Halsted?

skobabe8
01-23-2007, 08:45 PM
It will take a while for perceptions to change. Liz just had someone she goes to class with say to her "I dont go to any numbered streets because they are bad." I kid you not.

itsnotrequired
01-23-2007, 08:53 PM
It will take a while for perceptions to change. Liz just had someone she goes to class with say to her "I dont go to any numbered streets because they are bad." I kid you not.

She's right. That's why I live on the 8500 block of S. Eggleston. You think I'm going to hang out on 86th?

:redneck

Daver
01-23-2007, 08:58 PM

Don't tell that to the people living in the mansions on 112th St in Beverley.

skobabe8
01-23-2007, 09:00 PM
She's right. That's why I live on the 8500 block of S. Eggleston. You think I'm going to hang out on 86th?

:redneck

LOL....you got me there.

lakeviewsoxfan
01-23-2007, 09:21 PM

Probably a ****ing transplant trixie

skobabe8
01-23-2007, 09:27 PM
Probably a ****ing transplant trixie

Trixie, yes. Transplant, not sure. Liz did everything she could to not knock her lights out for being such a horse's ass. That much I know.

DumpJerry
01-23-2007, 09:55 PM
It will take a while for perceptions to change. Liz just had someone she goes to class with say to her "I dont go to any numbered streets because counting that high gives me a bad headache." I kid you not.
Fixed it.

Reminds me of what I would tell transplants. The reason streets on the South Side are numbered and the north side are not is because northsiders can't count that high.

roylestillman
01-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Halsted Police station update: Expect groundbreaking in late April/Early May of 2007. Its all funded and all set.

Hitmen77
01-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Some people in places like the NW suburbs would be surprised to hear that such things even exist. Sad but true.

tony1972
01-23-2007, 11:12 PM

It matters to a point...the Sox drew 3 million because they were coming off a World Series victory...obviously (unless they win the World Series every year this will not always be the case)..

Like it or not..attendance does support a higher payroll...with a nicer ballpark and an improving neighborhood..the team will draw better in years it may not be as competive. Look at 2000..we ran away with the division and could not even crack 2 million that year (a lot had to do with negative opinions of the ballpark and area - the diehards came..but the bandwagoners (and you do need them..wouldn't go to the games)...

5 or 6 years ago a contending season meant 1.9 million fans and an average or losing season meant 1.2 million. Now a contending season will always mean 2.8 million plus fans and medicore seasons will probably still be around 2 million. A lot has to do with the changing public perceptions which is tied to the neighborhood and ballpark.

maurice
01-23-2007, 11:16 PM

Or the mansions in Morgan Park, Hyde Park, Kenwood, Bronzeville, Bridgeport, . . .

Sox fan: Tell me about that community center on the corner.
maurice: That's not a community center. That's a house.
Sox fan: No, I'm not talking about a house. I'm talking about that HUGE building with the indoor pool.
maruice: Yeah, me too. That's a house.
Sox fan: (stunned silence)

ChicagoG19
01-24-2007, 12:27 AM
For all the improvement that is going on on 35th and state street and bridgeport, it does have consequences. From personal experience it seems like crime and gang activity is moving west. I rememeber about 10 years ago when i could go to 47th and kedzie and it was a pretty decent area, 10 years later and you garages with spray paint everywhere and windows with medal bars on them . The development is good for the areas aroud the ballpark, but for those of us who live west of the ballpark it just got worse.

ewokpelts
01-24-2007, 09:55 AM
For all the improvement that is going on on 35th and state street and bridgeport, it does have consequences. From personal experience it seems like crime and gang activity is moving west. I rememeber about 10 years ago when i could go to 47th and kedzie and it was a pretty decent area, 10 years later and you garages with spray paint everywhere and windows with medal bars on them . The development is good for the areas aroud the ballpark, but for those of us who live west of the ballpark it just got worse.this is not a "sox effect"...it's the fact that gangs have been at 47th and kedzie for 20 years....i know...i used to live on 47th and western(and am actually moving back)

maurice
01-24-2007, 12:16 PM
In addition, the gangs on Kedzie are not the gangs that controlled the projects near 35th / State.

It's not like the Gangster Disciples all packed up and moved SW.

Chip Z'nuff
01-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Speaking of south side mansions... Drexel Blvd is getting a facelift with these five beauties, yep those are five houses, not some condo complex

http://wibiti.com/altthumbs/hpmain/436/156436.jpg

maurice
01-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Lots of these already have been built around 4100 S. Drexel. Some of the older houses on Drexel are absolutely amazing.

The houses on Ellis (http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1073819542) and on Greenwood (http://www.realtor.com/Prop/1052878691) aren't too shabby either.

Chip Z'nuff
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Lots of these already have been built around 4100 S. Drexel. Some of the older houses on Drexel are absolutely amazing.
these are at 39th. A little bigger than the projects already underway
http://yochicago.com/today/new-construction/retro-mansions-planned-for-north-kenwood-oakland_3756/

spiffie
01-24-2007, 12:35 PM

The houses on Ellis and on Greenwood aren't too shabby either.
A friend of mine just recently moved into that construction, and it is beautiful both inside and outside.

WhiteSox1983
01-24-2007, 03:53 PM
i got mixed reaction on this. while its good to have the cell in a nice area. thats what gave the white sox that grimey feel. i dont agree with the gentrification process though. im not sure, but i doubt the people that have lived there in the past can afford to live in those condos.

Chip Z'nuff
01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
i got mixed reaction on this. while its good to have the cell in a nice area. thats what gave the white sox that grimey feel. i dont agree with the gentrification process though. im not sure, but i doubt the people that have lived there in the past can afford to live in those condos.

You should have gotten a little bit more than a grimy feeling walking east on 35th st. I've read about cops in 009 who would break up gun battles up in Taylor Homes and Stateway. They would walk into an all cement apartment with a hole through the wall most bazookas would have trouble putting there.

paciorek1983
01-24-2007, 04:27 PM
thats what gave the white sox that grimey feel. .

Thank God the "grimy feel" era is over! Ugh.

SaltyPretzel
01-24-2007, 04:57 PM
Thank God the "grimy feel" era is over! Ugh.

http://www.rob-clarkson.com/duff-brewery/frankgrimes/01.gif

Norberto7
01-24-2007, 05:26 PM

Good point, keeping those projects up would have been in everybody's best interest.

Hey, Gary has a team, pretty close to the steel mill & downtown Gary...maybe there is sufficient grimage over there. You'll even drive by the welcoming Gary sewage treatment plant on your way for an extra dose.

IlliniSox
01-24-2007, 09:31 PM

You clearly don't live around here. Those of us who do would rather our properties appreciate than have the neighborhood remain grimey enough for your liking.

viagracat
01-24-2007, 10:58 PM

If you think those are big (and they are!), check out some of the places in the Kenwood area around 49th and Woodlawn. They used to call Kenwood "The Lake Forest of the South Side".

I don't even listen to the numbskulls who still have old stereotypical thoughts about the South Side. Fortunately, their numbers seem to be shrinking, even out here in Elgin where ignorance of the city runs high.

thedudeabides
01-24-2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.rob-clarkson.com/duff-brewery/frankgrimes/01.gif
I don't even know how to give you enough props for that.

tony1972
01-24-2007, 11:06 PM
If you think those are big (and they are!), check out some of the places in the Kenwood area around 49th and Woodlawn. They used to call Kenwood "The Lake Forest of the South Side".

I don't even listen to the numbskulls who still have old stereotypical thoughts about the South Side. Fortunately, their numbers seem to be shrinking, even out here in Elgin where ignorance of the city runs high.
I recently sort of had it out with a good friend of mine who lives in Rogers Park..she is always suggesting we go to dinner which is fine by me (we go out about once a month)..but it is always somewhere about two blocks from where she lives and it takes about an hour to drive and another hour to try to find a place to park. This past Saturday she called me and suggested we should meet this weekend. I suggested Chinatown and a few places in University Village (she refused and suggested a new restaurant in her neighborhood). I got the typical "I don't know the South Side..I'll get lost" again. I usually give in..but I told her to forget it. It's not like I couldn't give her directions or I am asking her to navigate only using a compass and the stars in the sky. I mean it is CHICAGO...

Lately, I have not been keeping in touch with friends who will not compromise or meet me halfway. I am tired of the "I never go south of Roosevelt" line which was once cute..but is really starting to p--- me off.

thedudeabides
01-24-2007, 11:24 PM
I recently sort of had it out with a good friend of mine who lives in Rogers Park..she is always suggesting we go to dinner which is fine by me (we go out about once a month)..but it is always somewhere about two blocks from where she lives and it takes about an hour to drive and another hour to try to find a place to park. This past Saturday she called me and suggested we should meet this weekend. I suggested Chinatown and a few places in University Village (she refused and suggested a new restaurant in her neighborhood). I got the typical "I don't know the South Side..I'll get lost" again. I usually give in..but I told her to forget it. It's not like I couldn't give her directions or I am asking her to navigate only using a compass and the stars in the sky. I mean it is CHICAGO...

Lately, I have not been keeping in touch with friends who will not compromise or meet me halfway. I am tired of the "I never go south of Roosevelt" line which was once cute..but is really starting to p--- me off.

My advice is to sit them down and explain the "grid". It's a very simple system and they will think your smart for showing them how easy it is.

paciorek1983
01-25-2007, 04:43 PM

Good for you. It's time the north side snobbery be put in it's place.

paciorek1983
01-25-2007, 04:46 PM
I don't even know how to give you enough props for that.

If I knew what that was all about I guess it was SUPPOSED to be an insult? But, in reality, if it is, I don't care.:smile:

rdivaldi
01-25-2007, 04:57 PM
If I knew what that was all about I guess it was SUPPOSED to be an insult? But, in reality, if it is, I don't care.:smile:

It wasn't an insult, just a Simpsons reference...

credeistheman
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM

tony, you asked a great question. since this isn't the place to get into the issues that led to the demolition of those buildings, so i'd suggest you check out a book and a documentary by sudhir venkatesh, a sociologist at columbia university. while at the u of c he did his graduate research on the social dynamics of the robert taylor homes and the various issues surrounding the cha's initiative to tear the projects down and the residents' reactions.

he wrote a book called "american project: the rise and fall of a modern american ghetto" that chronicled his experiences there. (some of you may recognize his name—there was a chapter dedicated to his work with chicago gangs in steven levitt's book "freakenomics".

venkatesh just released a documentary that esentially follows-up on the residents who played a prominent role in his book. the film is called "disLocation".

Hitmen77
01-25-2007, 05:09 PM

it's a characther from a Simpson episode. His name is Frank Grimes, but Homer wanted to call him "Grimey" for short.

paciorek1983
01-25-2007, 05:34 PM
It wasn't an insult, just a Simpsons reference...

oh ok:smile: