PDA

View Full Version : Non-Roster Invitees

EMel9281
01-20-2007, 06:53 PM
So, I was just perusing the MLB.com site and looking at various rosters, and I came across something.

Mind I did not check all rosters, but are the Sox the only one's without any NRI's? Or are they just not posted? When will we find out who they may be?

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-20-2007, 08:33 PM
I bet Ryan Bukvich will be one, I noticed he was signed a while ago, and is on the Knights roster.

sox1970
01-22-2007, 12:39 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070122&content_id=1783846&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

JermaineDye05
01-22-2007, 02:30 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070122&content_id=1783846&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Gio, Danks, and Broadway, can't wait for ST. Hopefully one of the three will be pitching when I go see them play.

rdivaldi
01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Per the Cubune:

Former University of Miami quarterback Kenny Kelly and catcher Wiki Gonzalez were among 15 players invited Monday to spring training by the White Sox.

Others:
Lance Broadway
John Danks
Gio Gonzalez
Ryan Bukvich
Corwin Malone
Adam Russell
Eduardo Sierra
Wes Whisler
Gustavo Molina
Donny Lucy
Cole Armstrong
Kenny Perez
Robert Valido

champagne030
01-22-2007, 09:14 PM

Per the Cubune:

Former University of Miami quarterback Kenny Kelly and catcher Wiki Gonzalez were among 15 players invited Monday to spring training by the White Sox.

Others:
Lance Broadway
John Danks
Gio Gonzalez
Ryan Bukvich
Corwin Malone
Adam Russell
Eduardo Sierra
Wes Whisler
Gustavo Molina
Donny Lucy
Cole Armstrong
Kenny Perez
Robert Valido

Probably a merge at some point, but thanks for listing them without making me follow the link.

nodiggity59
01-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Are Haegar, Sisco, Floyd, and Masset invited automatically or something or are they not going?

crazyozzie02
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
im surprised that there arent any more well-known names like in previous years, but i didnt get a good look at who was a available

champagne030
01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Are Haegar, Sisco, Floyd, and Masset invited automatically or something or are they not going?

It's 15 non-roster invites. The players you listed are already on the 40 man roster.

rdivaldi
01-22-2007, 09:36 PM
It's 15 non-roster invites. The players you listed are already on the 40 man roster.

Yeah, I should have specified that in the thread title. My bad...

ondafarm
01-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Heck, I almost got a non-roster invite one year with the Dodgers, I stayed in Japan instead because my assignment at AA was guarenteed.

maurice
01-22-2007, 10:48 PM
The list doesn't really mean much, since Ozzie plays a lot of the guys from the minor league camp.

Domeshot17
01-22-2007, 11:20 PM
I like the Wiki Gonzalez invite. He was a fairly decent catcher, would be perfect to stick in triple A as the emergency guy.

btrain929
01-22-2007, 11:40 PM
what about ruben rivera and his monster year. he wont be given a chance?? hes not on the 40 man, right?
im also sad to see jeff farnsworth with the phils. he looked like he coulda possibly been an admirable reliever for us down the road..

KRS1
01-23-2007, 08:11 AM
what about ruben rivera and his monster year. he wont be given a chance?? hes not on the 40 man, right?
im also sad to see jeff farnsworth with the phils. he looked like he coulda possibly been an admirable reliever for us down the road..

Ruben is a 33 year old hitting homers with a decent average in the MWL, that's not really a great accomplishment. He hits in the Mexican league and disappears when it counts.

Jeff is a 31 year old who had a 4.7 ERA in AAA last year. Admirable? Down the road? When? When he's 35?

Neither guy is anything to lose sleep over losing, and I doubt either will ever impact a big league club again. Jeff might get a call up or two, because the Nats are just that bad, but to expect anything from him other than extreme mop-up duties is setting your expectations too high.

caulfield12
01-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Bukvich was once a very highly regarded prospect in the Royals' org. He used to have a good arm.

Of course, so were Granger, Austin, Kyle Snyder, Colt Griffin and Dan Reichert.

Wiki Gonzalez was the catcher on the Augusta GreenJackets in 1995 when we won the SAL Championship. He's a nice kid, and had some very decent seasons with the Padres. To tell you the truth, I was surprised to find out he made it to the majors eventually, but he's a hard worker and something of an overachiever. He's not young any longer, probably more viewed as "roster filler" like Ruben Rivera. WIth Hall's presence, he is ticketed for AAA, if he stays with the org.

guillen4life13
01-29-2007, 03:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hotstove06/columns/story?columnist=crasnick_jerry&id=2742293

The article mentions a few players who haven't been signed yet, are looking for work, and could contribute. Specific players are Eric Young, Phil Nevin, Steve Traschel, Mark Redman, Preston Wilson, Rick Helling, Ronnie Belliard, Steve Finley, David Bell and Bernie Williams.

The names that seem like they would warrant consideration from the Sox are Traschel, Helling and Redman (who could battle for the 5th starter role).

I'm not suggesting the Sox sign any of them onto the team pronto, but I think that they could be welcome additions and competition in the 5th starter race. I'm not convinced about Floyd or any of the other possible 5 starters being ready, and I think the Sox should keep their options open.

Any other players out there who are still unsigned that could help the Sox out possibly?

Domeshot17
01-29-2007, 04:09 PM
on a non roster invite I would take a LONG LOOK at Eric Young. IF Pods is out to start the season, Young might be a great addition to play some LF and lead off.

PatK
01-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Preston Wilson re-signed with the Cards.