PDA

View Full Version : wow would this be fun to see..

JermaineDye05
01-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Lou's considering putting Soriano in center..
here (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070120&content_id=1783136&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2007, 02:38 PM
After running down all those fly balls hit over his head,
he'll be Alfonso "Sore-Knee"-ano.:D: :D: :D:

Frater Perdurabo
01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Soriano is nothing more than a two-tool DH, but the Urinal may have the least amount of CF territory to cover of any MLB ballpark. The field has 364-foot power alleys, a Tru-link bozo bucket that turns many warning track fiy balls into homers (just ask Ryne Sandberg), and virtually no gaps whatsoever.

FedEx227
01-20-2007, 04:40 PM
Soriano is nothing more than a two-tool DH, but the Urinal may have the least amount of CF territory to cover of any MLB ballpark. The field has 364-foot power alleys, a Tru-link bozo bucket that turns many warning track fiy balls into homers (just ask Ryne Sandberg), and virtually no gaps whatsoever.

But just imagine the greatness when he plays in Houston, Washington and Shea

WizardsofOzzie
01-20-2007, 05:09 PM
Looks like Lou's been sipping the cubbie koolaid. What is it about the cubs that as soon as you go there, your judgement goes to ****?

cws05champ
01-20-2007, 06:05 PM
I also saw a cub love post on a sportsline message board that sia they wouldn't mind seeing Soriano in CF because it's the easiest OF position to play and most easy to judge the fly balls...*****!!!

oeo
01-20-2007, 06:29 PM
What the hell is with Piniella? He doesn't seem like the same guy ever since he took that job. I wonder how long it takes before the smile comes off his face and things start falling apart.

I still don't think he'd fare well out there. I'd take Mackowiak in center over Soriano.

I haven't seen much of him in the outfield (besides his stellar plays on Web Gems)...but when I think of Soriano in the outfield, I think of Pablo Ozuna in the outfield. And Pablo Ozuna in CF = very bad.

Frater Perdurabo
01-20-2007, 08:29 PM
I still don't think he'd fare well out there. I'd take Mackowiak in center over Soriano.

I haven't seen much of him in the outfield (besides his stellar plays on Web Gems)...but when I think of Soriano in the outfield, I think of Pablo Ozuna in the outfield. And Pablo Ozuna in CF = very bad.

Oh, I do not think he will be good in center field. All I am saying is that the Urinal's CF is the smallest CF in the majors.

FedEx227
01-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I also saw a cub love post on a sportsline message board that sia they wouldn't mind seeing Soriano in CF because it's the easiest OF position to play and most easy to judge the fly balls...*****!!!

Those Cub fans know their baseball!

WizardsofOzzie
01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I sent the link to a friend of mine who's a cubs fan and he said "good". My response was "Good?? Are you kidding? Why would you move a career infielder into possibly the hardest position in baseball?" His very cublike response? "Because he's that good" :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 10:42 AM
I sent the link to a friend of mine who's a cubs fan and he said "good". My response was "Good?? Are you kidding? Why would you move a career infielder into possibly the hardest position in baseball?" His very cublike response? "Because he's that good" :rolleyes:

Soriano hasn't played even a single inning of CF in his entire MLB career.

WizardsofOzzie
01-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Soriano hasn't played even a single inning of CF in his entire MLB career.
But he's so good it will be a breeze to adapt. It's already been said once in this thread and i'll say it again....Those cubs fans sure know their baseball

Grzegorz
01-21-2007, 07:09 PM
Lou's considering putting Soriano in center..
here (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070120&content_id=1783136&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Theriot, DeRosa, now Soriano...

The fact is that the Chicago Cubs do not have a centerfielder...

jabrch
01-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Theriot, DeRosa, now Soriano...

The fact is that the Chicago Cubs do not have a centerfielder...

Their best bet is likely Jaque Jones - and he's no good.

mshake10
01-21-2007, 09:57 PM
But he's so good it will be a breeze to adapt. It's already been said once in this thread and i'll say it again....Those cubs fans sure know their baseball
I'm sure we said the same thing with BA struggled and Mac was put there in place.

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm sure we said the same thing with BA struggled and Mac was put there in place.

I know I didn't...

mshake10
01-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I know I didn't...
Fair enough.

But it makes you think. Why didn't we have a backup in center field?

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Fair enough.

Mackowiak was the backup.

mshake10
01-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Mackowiak was the backup.
Sorry, I should have said why didn't we have a GOOD one?

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 10:17 PM
Sorry, I should have said why didn't we have a GOOD one?

Mackowiak is a good backup.

mshake10
01-21-2007, 10:22 PM
If you mean "deer in a headlights" good.

The problem is that we had four outfielders, and only one of them was good in center. And none of the other reserves could play in center either.

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 10:24 PM
If you mean "deer in a headlights" good.

The problem is that we had four outfielders, and only one of them was good in center. And none of the other reserves could play in center either.

Mackowiak is a serviceable backup center fielder. He should only be starting to spell Anderson. Also, find me a team with four outfielders that can all play center.

DumpJerry
01-21-2007, 10:37 PM

Mshake, :welcome: .
A tip about the color codes we use here. When something is in teal, it is sarcasm. When something is in deep pink, it is a highly desired wish or outcome.

Glad to have you on board!

oeo
01-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Fair enough.

It makes me think why the Cubs don't even have A centerfielder.

mshake10
01-22-2007, 08:56 AM
It makes me think why the Cubs don't even have A centerfielder.
Eh, Pagan seems to get the job done as a backup.

I guess what I'm saying is, you make due with what you have.

mshake10
01-22-2007, 08:58 AM
Mshake, :welcome: .
A tip about the color codes we use here. When something is in teal, it is sarcasm. When something is in deep pink, it is a highly desired wish or outcome.

Glad to have you on board!
Is that some sort of "drinking the kool-aid" thing?

DumpJerry
01-22-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure what you're getting at. I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you misunderstood the earlier teal posting based on your response to it.

We have many witty and sarcastic people here, the teal is used so that misunderstandings are minimized.

WizardsofOzzie
01-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Huhhhhhhhhhh?????? :dunno:

soxfan13
01-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Didnt alot of people say he wouldnt play well in left field last year? I seem to recall that he actually played decent and didnt he lead national league outfielders in assists? I think he is a good enough athlete to be at least a servicable centerfielder.

mshake10
01-22-2007, 10:43 AM
I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and based on what I've seen, to me the teal comments are intended to be statements by those who blindly follow a team and agree with each and everything they say, no matter how stupid it is, and that's generally when we see it. Basically, you're drinking the kool-aid of the team (see wikipedia), and that shows through when you speak since your words are a different color. Teal seems like a kool-aid color. Of course, it's a sarcasm, but the user is pretending to speak like one of those people.

I don't know who started it, but I have a feeling that's partially a reason why it began.

I personally hate changing my font color, but I'll attept to adjust.

WizardsofOzzie
01-22-2007, 10:57 AM
Didnt alot of people say he wouldnt play well in left field last year? I seem to recall that he actually played decent and didnt he lead national league outfielders in assists? I think he is a good enough athlete to be at least a servicable centerfielder.
I haven't seen him play much in the outfield but i can't imagine him having the range or ability to get a good enough jump on flyballs to play CF

WizardsofOzzie
01-22-2007, 11:01 AM
I've been lurking here for a few weeks, and based on what I've seen, to me the teal comments are intended to be statements by those who blindly follow a team and agree with each and everything they say, no matter how stupid it is, and that's generally when we see it. Basically, you're drinking the kool-aid of the team (see wikipedia), and that shows through when you speak since your words are a different color. Teal seems like a kool-aid color. Of course, it's a sarcasm, but the user is pretending to speak like one of those people.

I don't know who started it, but I have a feeling that's partially a reason why it began.

I personally hate changing my font color, but I'll attept to adjust.

You don't have to if you avoid sarcastic comments or make it very obvious that you are being sarcastic. The teal rule was implemented because sarcasm is hard to pick up through a message board

soxfan13
01-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I haven't seen him play much in the outfield but i can't imagine him having the range or ability to get a good enough jump on flyballs to play CF

He obviously has the speed to play. Like I said he, actually got pretty decent reviews in left field last year so I dont think he has a problem getting jumps on the ball. I think alot of people are selling his athleticism.

WizardsofOzzie
01-22-2007, 11:08 AM
He obviously has the speed to play. Like I said he, actually got pretty decent reviews in left field last year so I dont think he has a problem getting jumps on the ball. I think alot of people are selling his athleticism.
I'd have to actually watch him play to make a good judgment but i will say that just because you have speed doesn't make you a prime candidate for CF. See: Scott Podsednik

soxfan13
01-22-2007, 11:15 AM
I'd have to actually watch him play to make a good judgment but i will say that just because you have speed doesn't make you a prime candidate for CF. See: Scott Podsednik

You are absolutely right. I guess I am just saying that I think Soriano has the athleticism to do it. IMO

skottyj242
01-22-2007, 11:41 AM
He's getting all that money to hit home runs and steal bases, as long as he is servicable in the field he will do what they wanted from him.

champagne030
01-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Mackowiak is a serviceable backup center fielder. He should only be starting to spell Anderson. Also, find me a team with four outfielders that can all play center.

No he's not and that's why Kenny and Ozzie have said he will not be out there again this season. I just want a alternative plan for BA who can hit and play a passable defense. If Mack would have played even poor defense last season it would have been a major upgrade. He was abominable in CF. That said, I could see Soriano being just as bad or worse. :o:

Tekijawa
01-22-2007, 12:23 PM

I think Tampa has 8 of them?

itsnotrequired
01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
No he's not and that's why Kenny and Ozzie have said he will not be out there again this season. I just want a alternative plan for BA who can hit and play a passable defense. If Mack would have played even poor defense last season it would have been a major upgrade. He was abominable in CF. That said, I could see Soriano being just as bad or worse. :o:

IIRC, they said Mackowiak will not be starting in CF, not playing center at all. Mackowiak is decent enough in center to make a spot start here or there and come off the bench. For what its worth, I feel more confident with Mackowiak in center than Ozuna in left but neither should be an everyday starter.

WizardsofOzzie
01-22-2007, 12:48 PM
IIRC, they said Mackowiak will not be starting in CF, not playing center at all. Mackowiak is decent enough in center to make a spot start here or there and come off the bench. For what its worth, I feel more confident with Mackowiak in center than Ozuna in left but neither should be an everyday starter.
Could Jerry Owens play center, or even be ready for the bigs by next year?

champagne030
01-22-2007, 01:09 PM

I took it that he would not be in CF, period (see below). I like Mack over Ozuna in LF, but I'm pretty sure he's the worst CF that I've ever seen.

Guillen added that Rob Mackowiak will not be used at all in center field during the 2007 season

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061205&content_id=1752109&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

itsnotrequired
01-22-2007, 01:28 PM
I took it that he would not be in CF, period (see below). I like Mack over Ozuna in LF, but I'm pretty sure he's the worst CF that I've ever seen.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061205&content_id=1752109&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Mackowiak is the worst center fielder you've ever seen? C'mon now...

As for Ozzie's quote, you cut off the end of his sentence:

Guillen added that Rob Mackowiak will not be used at all in center field during the 2007 season, instead reverting back to the utility role originally designed for him. Brian Anderson currently would receive the bulk of playing time in center...

I take that to mean he will not be starting but will be available off the bench. Ozzie says Anderson will receive the "bulk" of the time in center. Who do you think will fill that other time? I still believe he will start at least 3 or 4 games in center to give Anderson a day off here and there.

champagne030
01-22-2007, 01:41 PM
Mackowiak is the worst center fielder you've ever seen? C'mon now...

Somebody may bring someone up, but off the top of my head I haven't seen CF played as bad as he played it last season.

I take that to mean he will not be starting but will be available off the bench. Ozzie says Anderson will receive the "bulk" of the time in center. Who do you think will fill that other time? I still believe he will start at least 3 or 4 games in center to give Anderson a day off here and there.

I believe Mack will be used at the corners of the OF and IF and will not play one inning in CF, unless of an extreme emergency (ala Dye at SS). I think Terrero makes the team, but I'm really hoping for a better option via trade.

DumpJerry
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
He's getting all that money to sell tickets, as long as he is servicable in the field he will do what they wanted from him.
Fixed it for you. You can thank me later.

maurice
01-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I take that to mean he will not be starting but will be available off the bench.

I take it to mean that Rob Mackowiak will not be used at all in center field during the 2007 season. That means he will not start any of the 162 games. (It appears that KW laid down the law after the season ended.) It's a safe bet that BA will not start all 162 games, which leads to your next question . . .

Ozzie says Anderson will receive the "bulk" of the time in center. Who do you think will fill that other time?

Whoever takes Gload's roster spot. The leading candidate right now is Terrero.

WizardsofOzzie
01-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Fixed it for you. You can thank me later.
:thumbsup:

IndianWhiteSox
01-26-2007, 06:28 AM
This guy might be the 50/50/50/50 player in baseball, and that last 50 I'm talking about errors.

Ziggy S
01-30-2007, 10:37 PM
If Macowiak was/is serviceable in CF, why did we sign Erstad?

WizardsofOzzie
01-30-2007, 10:47 PM
If Macowiak was/is serviceable in CF, why did we sign Erstad?
Because Rob isn't serviceable in CF :tongue:

johnr1note
02-07-2007, 05:57 PM

Well, let's take a look . . .

Of all the major league outfielders who played at least 100 games last year (a total of 73 ballplayers), only one had a worst fielding percentage or more errors than Soriano -- Adam Dunn. The only other players with as bad a fielding percentage as Soriano (.969) was So Taguchi and our own Scott Podsednik, but both played significantly fewer games. I don't think there are too many major league clubs that would put any of those last 3 as the starting centerfielder.

If you look at Podsednik's career, last year was either an abberration, or a sign that he's losing it -- the injury that slowed his ability to steal bases also significantly cut down on his range, which lead to him taking risks on fly balls or not getting to balls that he should have been able to get to. Dunn, of course, is just a big slow guy who has never been a great glove man. Taguchi made his errors because he was forced to play out of position in centerfield more often then he should (shades of Rob Macowiak).

But if you compare thier range factors to Soriano's -- Fonzie's is much higher. He can get to the ball. He just can't catch it, and he can't throw it.

What you say? He led the league in assists. Well, when you have trouble catching the ball, or have trouble chasing the arc on a fly ball, runners tend to test you. Remember, Manny Ramirez has led the AL in assists from time to time, and nobody holds him up as a premier defensive outfielder. I wonder how often a runner was able to take the extra base on Soriano last year -- the stats only show how many times he threw guys out.

The best way to describe Soriano as an outfielder is "butcher." If anything, Soriano is what Sammy Sosa was in his youth -- a gifted athlete with a lot of speed who tries to overcome his inability to judge a fly ball or catch one by using his speed to close gaps. Sosa never took the time to improve his fielding. Soriano might, but I won't hold my breath.

Cliff Floyd is at best an average outfielder with poor range. Jaques Jones is better than Soriano, but having a head cold is also better than having the stomach flu. Matt Murton is the fielding star of this group. The Bubs may have the worst outfield in baseball.