PDA

View Full Version : Spring training (ATTN: Vic & Randar)

kermittheefrog
03-12-2002, 06:51 AM
On Wednesday evening I'm leaving for Arizona, I'll be there from Wednesday evening through Sunday mid-afternoon. Any hints from people who have attended spring training before? I went a few years ago but at the time I was just being trounced around via my mother. This time I'll be able to drive around, get to whatever games I'm interested in. I know minor league camp games start early morning so I'll try to attend those, I'm sure considering few people show up those are games where players and scouts are pretty accessable. Randar, Vic got any tips for this?

My long-shot project right now is trying to setup an interview with a notable Sox prospect or front office member. I picked up the Baseball America Directory and I'm gonna go to work making some phone calls. We'll see how far "I'm a columnist for WhiteSoxInteractive.com" can get me :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
03-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
We'll see how far "I'm a columnist for WhiteSoxInteractive.com" can get me :smile:

I think you'd be better off mentioning you know Daver. :redneck

Randar68
03-12-2002, 11:34 AM
On Wednesday evening I'm leaving for Arizona, I'll be there from Wednesday evening through Sunday mid-afternoon. Any hints from people who have attended spring training before? I went a few years ago but at the time I was just being trounced around via my mother. This time I'll be able to drive around, get to whatever games I'm interested in. I know minor league camp games start early morning so I'll try to attend those, I'm sure considering few people show up those are games where players and scouts are pretty accessable. Randar, Vic got any tips for this?

My long-shot project right now is trying to setup an interview with a notable Sox prospect or front office member. I picked up the Baseball America Directory and I'm gonna go to work making some phone calls. We'll see how far "I'm a columnist for WhiteSoxInteractive.com" can get me :smile:

Tips?

Don't be nervous or bashfull about walking up tp anybody and speaking to them. Everyone is still pretty friendly and nice in the spring. The press hasn't started picking them apart yet! :-) If they are a dick, then so what, move on!

Well, about the games? Get out your schedule and sometimes it's possible to catch all or most of 3 games in one day (if you can handle the truth!) Make a list of teams/prospects you really want to see outside of the Sox and make sure you get a chance to see most of them, more than a couple in each game if you schedule it properly...

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 03:22 PM

In addition to what Randar said,

I assume you'll be in Tucson, is that right?

You have access to the scouts at the big league games too, but the players are definitely more accessible at the minor league complex.

The most important thing for you to do is make a good impression on whomever you plan on seeing. Since you are going to be around there for much of the week, you don't want to rub anyone the wrong way. Just do the research, which I'm sure you've done; its never good, for example, if you ask a Wyatt Allen about his experience at Winston-Salem

Be assertive, tell them why you're there, I'd definitely mention that you're writing for WSI, ask politely if you can quote them (gives them the impression that you're honest), and give them the web address.

If you can get a one-on-one interview with a player, go for a lefty! They think differently than 90% of the people in the world... Ulacia, Malone, Munoz if he doesn't make the club. If not, Brian Sager would be a good interview, but in the end, its up to you, heh.

In terms of the travel, two things:

1). Always bring $50 extra, if you don't wind up needing, go home and re-deposit it, but chances are, you'll need it, especially if you plan on attending games in Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe

2). It's that time of the year again, the Wildcats are in the field of 64, and they'll play twice I think, during your stay. Drink wisely, drive carefully, if you have rental or out of state plates, it doesn't take Rany Jayezerli M.D. to figure out you'll be the first guy pulled over for any infraction; those Tucson police have quotas to fill and March Madness is usually when they do it.

And lastly, have fun!