PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox believe they are now worth $1.5 BILLION

Fenway
01-19-2007, 08:35 PM
What are the Boston Red Sox worth? Think $1.5 billion -- and up. (http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2007/01/19/hot_stove_cold_cash/)

The huge appreciation in value reflects the health of Major League Baseball and helps explain this winter's orgy of spending on talent and alleged talent. The Red Sox just paid $100 million for a pitcher who has yet to play a day in the major leagues. They are paying more than $50 million in a luxury tax on baseball's second-largest payroll and are about to pay more than $60 million to buy into NASCAR. The team is aggressively jacking up the prices of corporate boxes and seats.

Scottiehaswheels
01-19-2007, 08:39 PM
Are they only the 2nd highest payroll now? I'm kinda curious what the true difference in payrolls is between them and the Yankees now... I mean they did get rid of Randy Johnson, Sheffield, etc... I'll bet its down to less than a 10mil difference between the teams in payroll now...

Edit just checked.. Guess its still a 78 mil difference...

Daver
01-19-2007, 08:50 PM
What are the Boston Red Sox worth? Think $1.5 billion -- and up. (http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2007/01/19/hot_stove_cold_cash/)

The huge appreciation in value reflects the health of Major League Baseball and helps explain this winter's orgy of spending on talent and alleged talent. The Red Sox just paid $100 million for a pitcher who has yet to play a day in the major leagues. They are paying more than $50 million in a luxury tax on baseball's second-largest payroll and are about to pay more than $60 million to buy into NASCAR. The team is aggressively jacking up the prices of corporate boxes and seats.

I didn't think NASCAR stock was publicly traded, the France family and selected employees own all of it. ISC stock is publicly traded, and also owned by the France family, are you sure that they are not investing in ISC?

Fenway
01-19-2007, 08:53 PM
I didn't think NASCAR stock was publicly traded, the France family and selected employees own all of it. ISC stock is publicly traded, and also owned by the France family, are you sure that they are not investing in ISC?

They are investing $60 million in Roush Racing

Daver
01-19-2007, 09:00 PM
They are investing $60 million in Roush Racing

That is far from investing in NASCAR, Roush Racing is a thinly veiled division of Ford Motor Co. Jack Roush fields race cars for NASCAR, IMSA, Lemans, SCCA, and has a say in Ford's NHRA involvement.

Fenway
01-19-2007, 09:32 PM
That is far from investing in NASCAR, Roush Racing is a thinly veiled division of Ford Motor Co. Jack Roush fields race cars for NASCAR, IMSA, Lemans, SCCA, and has a say in Ford's NHRA involvement.

The Globe for some reason continues to say simply NASCAR

It is a little scary what this team has done off the field in the past 5 years gobbling up real estate, NESN, etc

itsnotrequired
01-19-2007, 11:14 PM
It is a little scary what this team has done off the field in the past 5 years gobbling up real estate, NESN, etc

Don't forget the lottery tickets...

Fenway
01-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Don't forget the lottery tickets...

I know a lot of people ( including me ) that bought em

nobody won squat

itsnotrequired
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM
I know a lot of people ( including me ) that bought em

nobody won squat

Really? I won a couple three day Charlie Cards and a limited edition DVD of Jimmy Fallon throwing a pie at Trot Nixon. I hope the Sox come out with tickets this year so I can win that autographed photo of Mayor Daley raising the roof. Supplies are limited, I hear...

:tongue: