PDA

View Full Version : Sox #4 Bullpen in AL

Olivo4MVP
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
Pretty good analysis, talks about the importance of numerous set up guys like MacDougal and Thornton.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=alfocusrankingthebullpen&prov=tsn&type=lgns

Whitesox029
01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
It surprises me that someone would rank our pen so high, given that I've seen nothing but criticism of Williams' moves this winter, and our bullpen was weak last year. If we end the season with our pen 4th in the AL in ERA, we will
almost certainly be in the playoffs, taking for granted that Buehrle will be himself again and Contreras will stay consistent.

AJ Hellraiser
01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I know there has been a lot of criticism surrounding KW's moves, but he has addressed the bullpen nicely... I am excited to see Masset added as well.... I think the kid has serious talent and could be a key guy this season

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I have a real problem ranking our pen ahead of Detroit.

Zumaya and Jones can both close...MacDougal and Thornton are a notch below Zumaya, who can go two innings at any point in the game he's needed.

Rodney is the equivalent of MacDougal.

They probably will miss Walker, they're unlikely to get that kind of season from the Cubs' prospect.

Mesa is perhaps a downgrade at this point in his career, but Grilli, Colon and Miner were all solid pitchers for much of the season.

Their 4-6 was much better than ours (last year), it remains to be seen how those positions in our pen will turn out this year. We could be the 3rd-4th best pen or potentially in the bottom half again.

thedudeabides
01-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Looking at that list, I have to wonder what the Red Sox are thinking leaving their bullpen in that state after spending all that money this offseason. Imagine if they have any injuries.

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure which will be more surprising, Papelbon winning 18 games or Pineiro closing more than 30.

Pineiro is the one of those guys, like a Weaver or Chacon, the KW should have gone after as insurance for the 5th spot and an experienced member of the bullpen.

I want Mags back
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
how is that possible

Domeshot17
01-19-2007, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure which will be more surprising, Papelbon winning 18 games or Pineiro closing more than 30.

Pineiro is the one of those guys, like a Weaver or Chacon, the KW should have gone after as insurance for the 5th spot and an experienced member of the bullpen.

I don't think either happens. Paplebon goes 13-10, Piniero goes 24/30 save opportunities.

ondafarm
01-19-2007, 07:17 PM

I'll be shocked if either of these things happen. Really shocked if both of them happen.

FedEx227
01-19-2007, 07:48 PM

Um...why? None of those have particularly good track records.

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM

And Gavin Floyd or Danks are likely to do better? That's a crapshoot, at best.

oeo
01-19-2007, 11:30 PM

Because don't you know, veterans don't make the Sox look cheap.

Joel Piniero = :puking:

oeo
01-19-2007, 11:33 PM
And Gavin Floyd or Danks are likely to do better? That's a crapshoot, at best.

Danks won't be ready next year. But yes, I'll take my chance on potential, versus proven suckage.

ondafarm
01-20-2007, 12:33 AM
Pretty good analysis, talks about the importance of numerous set up guys like MacDougal and Thornton.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=alfocusrankingthebullpen&prov=tsn&type=lgns

They rate the Twins bullpen as the league's best. Having a lousy hitting backdrop would make any collection of pitchers look really good.

itsnotrequired
01-20-2007, 12:37 AM
They rate the Twins bullpen as the league's best. Having a lousy hitting backdrop would make any collection of pitchers look really good.

Well, they still have a pretty good bullpen. The article didn't offer much analysis but rather blurbs about the bullpens. Nevertheless, I'm more excited that someone actually wrote something positive about the Sox...

UserNameBlank
01-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Good rankings IMO. The Twins are no. 1 and rightfully so. The Angels are still probably in the top 3 of best pens in baseball, but I think they are due for a falloff. They shouldn't have traded Donnelly IMO. The Yankees really improved their team this year and that includes their bullpen; the addition of Vizcaino will certainly be a huge help for when their starters can't go deep into games, and with that back end, they will be nasty.

For the rest of the Central, I like the Sox at no.4 and I think they have the potential to move up a couple of notches from there. Jenks/Thornton/MacDougal, when healthy HAS to be among the top 3 back ends in baseball, and with good seasons from Aardsma and Sisco this pen could really kick ass. Add in Masset and I think between the three new guys at least one of them will have a breakout season.

The Tigers IMO should be lower. Nothing against them, but Jones isn't going to fare any better in 2007 than he did in 2006, and while he did rack up a ton of saves again, he is going to also going to make things very interesting in the 9th. I'm not sold on Zumaya's ability to stay healthy for a full season, and that all depends on the effectiveness of the rest of their pen. If the lower guys can get the job done he shouldn't be relied upon as heavily. Rodney is nasty but can struggle with his control; Mesa is an effective veteran but who knows what they will get out of him. I just think there is too much potential to fail on Detroit's side mainly because of their expectations.

The Indians IMO are going to be the team to beat this year and I think that pen of theirs will really surprise. A lot of health concerns are in that pen as well, but from where they were last year they can only get better. I expect Foulke, Borowski, and Hernandez to be very solid pick ups for them.

caulfield12
01-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Zumaya has a much better chance of staying healthy all season than MacDougal, IMO.

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 12:31 AM
Zumaya has a much better chance of staying healthy all season than MacDougal, IMO.

http://www.vmunix.com/mark/blog/wp-content/guitar_hero3.jpg

Whitesox029
01-21-2007, 12:54 PM
http://www.vmunix.com/mark/blog/wp-content/guitar_hero3.jpg
:roflmao:
I don't think MacDougal's going to have any trouble, especially with Herm on staff. Correct me if I am wrong, but he didn't have any trouble while with the Sox last year, did he? I don't see anything to indicate his pain is suddenly going to return.

Lip Man 1
01-21-2007, 02:11 PM
In September Ozzie held him out of two or three games I recall because of shoulder stiffness.

Lip