PDA

View Full Version : Samardzija to quit football

thedudeabides
01-19-2007, 02:21 PM
Per Ken Rosenthal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6385348

VenturaIsAGod
01-19-2007, 02:23 PM
On the one hand, more money, longer life expectation. On the other hand, smaller chance of success. It's a tough decision, but it probably just came down to what sport he loved more.

cbotnyse
01-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Thats news to me. I had no idea he played baseball. Hmmm which do I choose, the NFL or MLB. I wish I had that problem.

Corlose 15
01-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, here's to the years of arm trouble he's guaranteed to have while he's in the Cubs system.:cool::tongue:

maurice
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Hmmm. Pretty good decision in the short-term but he probably had a better future in football.

Maybe he'll pull a Drew Henson.

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 02:40 PM
"The Cubs announced Friday that the pitcher will forego an NFL career to sign a five-year deal to play baseball full-time, beginning in the team's minor league system."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070119cubsdeal,1,2250341.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

thedudeabides
01-19-2007, 02:42 PM
Hmmm. Pretty good decision in the short-term but he probably had a better future in football.

Maybe he'll pull a Drew Henson.

I am not knocking his decision, but there's no guarantee he'll make it to the majors as a pitcher. If he's a first round draft pick in the NFL, he will be on the roster.

Maybe he'll try baseball for a couple of years and if it doesn't work go back to football. We've seen it happen with QB's, but I can't remember it happenning with a WR.

chaerulez
01-19-2007, 02:46 PM
This is surprising. I don't see why he doesn't go to the NFL Draft, take the rookie contract and the bonus money that comes with it. Play minor ball in the offseason for the Cubs, and if football doesn't work out just go to baseball full time, he will still have made millions through his rookie contract from the NFL.

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 02:48 PM
"The Cubs announced Friday that the pitcher will forego an NFL career to sign a five-year deal to play baseball full-time, beginning in the team's minor league system."

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070119cubsdeal,1,2250341.story?coll=cs-cubs-headlines

Oh my God, when Prior and Wood and Miller and Marshall and Hill and Angel Guzman all pitch the way they're capable of, combined with the ND/Weiss hype for this guy, they should easily win 115 games, maybe even 120.

crazyozzie02
01-19-2007, 02:49 PM
Oh my God, when Prior and Wood and Miller and Marshall and Hill and Angel Guzman all pitch the way they're capable of, combined with the ND/Weiss hype for this guy, they should easily win 115 games, maybe even 120.

im assuming there should be teal there?

goldglovesox
01-19-2007, 02:50 PM
That's surprising. Guys who are projected to be first round draft picks in football especially WR tend to get PT their first year in the NFL. As a minor league pitcher he could be a few years away. Especially since he is kind of behind as a baseball player who never fully dedicated to the sport in college. He always split time between sports. Interesting call here, I was sure he would play football. I think after a year or two on the bus rides of the minor leagues he will miss football.

SoxxoS
01-19-2007, 03:00 PM
He is definitely a project - If I had to do my Miss Cleo impression...He will definitely be back in football in 4 years

I was so impressed by him as a WR, too. I thought he could have been an all pro. He is quick, sneaky fast and has great hands and size.

Oh well, guess I will have to wait a few years..:D:

ondafarm
01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
That's surprising. Guys who are projected to be first round draft picks in football especially WR tend to get PT their first year in the NFL. As a minor league pitcher he could be a few years away. Especially since he is kind of behind as a baseball player who never fully dedicated to the sport in college. He always split time between sports. Interesting call here, I was sure he would play football. I think after a year or two on the bus rides of the minor leagues he will miss football.

Doubt it. Would you rather have a 3-5 year career in pro football or a 10-15 year career in baseball? He should be in AA or AAA this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an appearance with the Flubs. AAA is not bus rides (at least not many) and he should be in a big league uniform within two years.

BadBobbyJenks
01-19-2007, 03:17 PM
This is truly a sad day

hose
01-19-2007, 03:26 PM
He is definitely a project - If I had to do my Miss Cleo impression...He will definitely be back in football in 4 years

I was so impressed by him as a WR, too. I thought he could have been an all pro. He is quick, sneaky fast and has great hands and size.

Oh well, guess I will have to wait a few years..:D:

If he does go back to football he will have over 7 million bucks in his bank account.:cool:

btrain929
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
are there any figures for jeff s yet?? signing bonus etc from the cubs? or is it too early for all that crap?

Sargeant79
01-19-2007, 03:39 PM
As a Notre Dame fan and a die-hard Sox fan, I would have to agree that this truly is a sad day.

espn.com is reporting that this is a 5-year deal with 8 million guaranteed.

**Edit: ESPN.com is now reporting that it's a 5 year, 10 million dollar deal. They're saying that there's a 2.5 million dollar signing bonus and options that could bring the total value of the deal to 16.5 million.

Domeshot17
01-19-2007, 03:43 PM
What a moron. Have a chance to be one of the first 4 wide outs off the board, or go into a system that kills more top flight pitching prospects then anyone. I bet the cubs threw him a ton of money. I hate the guy to begin with, so I really hope he has a Drew Henson career. Suck it up in Baseball, goto the NFL and suck there.

DumpJerry
01-19-2007, 03:45 PM
Let's see what someone in his position is looking at:
NFL: contract not guaranteed.
MLB: guaranteed contracts.
NFL: high injury rate.
MLB: reletively safe.
NFL: not assured of starting in rookie year.
Cubs: lousy team, possibility of being a September call-up (or sooner).

Easy choice.

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM

Easy choice.

I am also sure he saw some of the ridiculous contrats for pitchers this off season. I am sure he is thinking "Even if I suck as bad as Gil Meche, I will still get 50 million dollars."

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 03:59 PM
It is a no-brainier to choose baseball over football.

Careers are much longer and contracts (especially for pitchers) are much larger in baseball. Not to mention that contracts are guaranteed.

As a Notre Dame fan, I wish him well. However, the minute he walks off the campus with his degree in hand, he is dead to me until he leaves the Cubs.

Jason Marquis will make as much as Terrell Owens next year. And Marquis' money is guaranteed.

Nellie_Fox
01-19-2007, 04:07 PM
This is surprising. I don't see why he doesn't go to the NFL Draft, take the rookie contract and the bonus money that comes with it. Play minor ball in the offseason for the Cubs, and if football doesn't work out just go to baseball full time, he will still have made millions through his rookie contract from the NFL.Because the Cubs have told him that they don't want him playing football (understandable, with the injury potential) and would put that in any contract they offer him, and he's gotten word from NFL scouts that if he hasn't made up his mind by the draft that he'll drop considerably, as no NFL team wants to waste a high choice on someone who might decide not to play. He's being forced to choose. Baseball contracts are guaranteed, football not. Baseball has potential for more money and a longer career. I think he's choosing wisely.

SBSoxFan
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM

Easy choice.

Doesn't the fact that he's pitching for the cubs sorta even that one out a bit?

WizardsofOzzie
01-19-2007, 04:15 PM
What a moron. Have a chance to be one of the first 4 wide outs off the board, or go into a system that kills more top flight pitching prospects then anyone. I bet the cubs threw him a ton of money. I hate the guy to begin with, so I really hope he has a Drew Henson career. Suck it up in Baseball, goto the NFL and suck there.

He definitely could have made alot more money in football than baseball. That was really unexpected. On a side note, its weird having gone to high school with a guy who's now a multi-millionaire

It is a no-brainier to choose baseball over football.

Careers are much longer and contracts (especially for pitchers) are much larger in baseball. Not to mention that contracts are guaranteed.

Not in the Cubs system:tongue:

Scottiehaswheels
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
Even more sad... He grew up by me and when he originally signed a semi-deal with the Cubs last year it was revealed that he is truly a diehard Sox fan in one of the local papers...

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09/28/sports/top_sports/ae17686f5503ee8b862571f60074da4e.txt

DumpJerry
01-19-2007, 04:30 PM
My bad. I forgot which team I was talking about......:redface:

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 04:34 PM
He definitely could have made alot more money in football than baseball. That was really unexpected. On a side note, its weird having gone to high school with a guy who's now a multi-millionaire
Not in the Cubs system:tongue:

Perhaps you didn't pay attention this offseason. Money is baseball is many times what it is in football. All a pitcher needs to do is be better than Gil Meche and he makes $60 million +. Name me a wide receiver making that kind of money.

At least for Jeff's sake, Duster Baker, wrecker of arms, is no longer the Cubs manager. And by the time he makes the majors Rothschild, Sweet Lou, Hendry, and hell the Tribune are likely to be gone.

He will, however, have to deal with 6 years of urine stench.

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 04:36 PM
Even more sad... He grew up by me and when he originally signed a semi-deal with the Cubs last year it was revealed that he is truly a diehard Sox fan in one of the local papers...

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/09/28/sports/top_sports/ae17686f5503ee8b862571f60074da4e.txt

During the Notre Dame -Purdue game in 2005, there was a half time special about Jeff. It talked about how he lost his mother, and how his father raised him. And about how much the 2005 World Series meant to him.

tschneid83
01-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I think it is a no brainer. He throws 96 MPH (I heard that on the radio so who knows how many MPH they added) and gets to play every 5 days with very little chance of a concussion, hammy tear, broken something, etc. He will still make millions.

twsoxfan5
01-19-2007, 04:50 PM
As a Notre Dame fan and a die-hard Sox fan, I would have to agree that this truly is a sad day.

espn.com is reporting that this is a 5-year deal with 8 million guaranteed.

**Edit: ESPN.com is now reporting that it's a 5 year, 10 million dollar deal. They're saying that there's a 2.5 million dollar signing bonus and options that could bring the total value of the deal to 16.5 million.

I am right with you buddy. Sad day for us Sox/ND fans and I know there are a lot of us out there.

SoXPriDe33
01-19-2007, 05:26 PM

He'll get traded to a different team and have some success like most of the other minor league arms the cubs trade.

chaerulez
01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
Doubt it. Would you rather have a 3-5 year career in pro football or a 10-15 year career in baseball? He should be in AA or AAA this year and I wouldn't be surprised if he makes an appearance with the Flubs. AAA is not bus rides (at least not many) and he should be in a big league uniform within two years.

By that do you mean this year or in a few years? Because unless a miracle of some sort happens he has no shot of being on a major league roster at least for a while, he should start in high A this year and maybe end up in AA by the seasons end if things work out. I certainly agree that he made the right choice. He says he loves baseball more than football, he got at least 8 million out of this deal in which the Cubs overpaid him because of his name, but he still has a chance to make more money in baseball being an average pitcher than he would have being a good WR in the NFL. An average starter in MLB can now make 10 million a year while good WRs in the NFL make about 6 to 7 million a year and usually have much shorter careers.

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 05:28 PM
He'll get traded to a different team and have some success like most of the other minor league arms the cubs trade.

What are the odds he goes to the Marlins, and then ends up beating them that same season?

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 05:30 PM
By that do you mean this year or in a few years? Because unless a miracle of some sort happens he has no shot of being on a major league roster at least for a while, he should start in high A this year and maybe end up in AA by the seasons end if things work out.

In the article it stats that he will start out in High A at Peoria for the Cubs.

Mickster
01-19-2007, 05:31 PM

The 5 year deal for $10M includes a $2.5M signing bonus, team options for 2012 and 2013 and also includes a NO TRADE CLAUSE (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-samardzija&prov=ap&type=lgns)!!! What??? :D: Could this be a first?

WizardsofOzzie
01-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Perhaps you didn't pay attention this offseason. Money is baseball is many times what it is in football. All a pitcher needs to do is be better than Gil Meche and he makes $60 million +. Name me a wide receiver making that kind of money.

At least for Jeff's sake, Duster Baker, wrecker of arms, is no longer the Cubs manager. And by the time he makes the majors Rothschild, Sweet Lou, Hendry, and hell the Tribune are likely to be gone.

He will, however, have to deal with 6 years of urine stench.

I understand your logic and i partially agree, but it was well known that he would be one of the top 2 or 3 receivers picked if he went into football because of how well he's done the last couple years. It seems that guys drafted high in the NFL adjust easier than guys who play baseball. How many can't miss prospects have been nothing more than average to below average once they got to the bigs? Not really sure if i'm making sense, but i think my whole mindset was he had a better chance to succeed in the NFL rather than MLB

WizardsofOzzie
01-19-2007, 05:47 PM
The 5 year deal for $10M includes a $2.5M signing bonus, team options for 2012 and 2013 and also includes a NO TRADE CLAUSE (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-cubs-samardzija&prov=ap&type=lgns)!!! What??? :D: Could this be a first?

:tealpolice:

mjmcend
01-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Not really sure if i'm making sense, but i think my whole mindset was he had a better chance to succeed in the NFL rather than MLB

I won't argue with you there. I haven't seen any numbers, but my gut also tells me that more high draft pick baseball players turn out to be busts as opposed to first round NFL draft picks. Although, the Lions might have a thing or two to say about first round wide receiver busts as well.

As long as he makes it to the majors, though, he will make more money in baseball. A ****ty pitcher makes more than an average wide receiver and an average pitcher makes more than the top wide receivers in the game.

ChiSoxFan7
01-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I won't argue with you there. I haven't seen any numbers, but my gut also tells me that more high draft pick baseball players turn out to be busts as opposed to first round NFL draft picks. Although, the Lions might have a thing or two to say about first round wide receiver busts as well.

As long as he makes it to the majors, though, he will make more money in baseball. A ****ty pitcher makes more than an average wide receiver and an average pitcher makes more than the top wide receivers in the game.

cheers for no cap! hip hip....horray!

Bucky F. Dent
01-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Jeff Samardzja, you are DEAD TO ME!
It is kinda amusing to see the flubs throw this kind of coin at a kid fresh from college with the Zambrano deal outstanding.
Once again the marketing department wins out over the baseball department!

DrCrawdad
01-20-2007, 08:50 AM
I've heard varying opinions on how hard Samardzija throws. From Cubbie lovers I've heard 97 plus. Then from neutral people I've heard 92-94.

kevin57
01-20-2007, 01:50 PM
The no trade clause is unusual for a "prospect." He got a super-sweet deal, and the Cubs again are super-dumb.

In the Trib today, Hendry said that the money they're paying him is a sign that they plan to move him through the system fast. Another potential arm ruined by an incompetent organization.

Jerksticks
01-20-2007, 01:57 PM
im assuming there should be teal there?

dude, yea.

jabrch
01-20-2007, 06:54 PM
They paid top 5 pick money ($10mm) for a guy who has never thrown over 100 innings in his career. They gave a Major League contract to a guy who is going to be nowhere close to ready for the majors when he runs out of options in 3 years. This looks like a terrible move to me. Either they will have to rush him to the majors too soon or they will have to risk exposing him to waivers earlier than they'd like.

Bad move Cubbies - sorry.

Nellie_Fox
01-21-2007, 02:04 AM
But as to the original question, I think Samardzija made a good decision for himself. Guaranteed money, and no linebackers knocking snot bubbles out of you.

soxfan13
01-21-2007, 08:16 AM

Since no one will mention the stand up thing that he did because he is a Cubs player , I will. When he signed the contract he had it written in that he would return the 2.5 million signing bonus if he decided on playing football also.

champagne030
01-21-2007, 10:32 AM
In the article it stats that he will start out in High A at Peoria for the Cubs.

Peoria is closer to low A. Daytona is high A. Anyway, I read in the Cubune yesterday that he'll probably start at Daytona.

gobears1987
01-21-2007, 01:21 PM

Easy choice.
ALl very true except for the fact that the MLB isn't safe if you're a pitcher for the FLUBs. His arm will fall off in 3 or 4 years.

skobabe8
01-21-2007, 02:12 PM
I know people flat out hate ND out there, but that doesnt necessarily mean you have to hate every individual who went there. Great kid, Sox fan, local product, super talented in 2 major sports. I'd love to have him in our system, even if there is a chance he decides to play football down the road. I think its a good gamble to draft him and see what happens.

Nellie_Fox
01-22-2007, 02:37 AM
I know people flat out hate ND out there,...Not me. I don't understand what's to hate. They field a competitive program while graduating their kids with meaningful degrees. How is this a problem?

Grzegorz
01-22-2007, 05:59 AM
A smart move by the kid; I wish him the best against all but the Chicago White Sox.

ondafarm
01-22-2007, 10:05 AM
I know people flat out hate ND out there, but that doesnt necessarily mean you have to hate every individual who went there. Great kid, Sox fan, local product, super talented in 2 major sports. I'd love to have him in our system, even if there is a chance he decides to play football down the road. I think its a good gamble to draft him and see what happens.

In the South and in California they seem to be definately hated. And there are many Notre Dame fans I could live without. But I actually think Chalire Weis is a class guy and I also admire that ND graduates nearly all of its players with actual degrees. That is more than can be said of a lot of schools.

palehozenychicty
01-22-2007, 12:45 PM

He is a diehard Sox fan. He confirmed it last year on one of the ND halftime telecasts when they interviewed him in Valpo by wearing a Sox hat. KW will trade for him by 2009 and pencil him into the rotation.

HawkDJ
01-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Apparently now he is a "devoted Cubs fan".

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/263162.html

mjmcend
01-23-2007, 01:37 AM
Apparently now he is a "devoted Cubs fan".

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/news/263162.html

10 million dollars would make any of us here Cub fans. Just like money (and a chance to play pro ball) made our own Mark Burhele a Sox fan.