PDA

View Full Version : Which sCrUB Player(s) Do You Think Are Soxworthy?

VeeckAsInWreck
03-12-2002, 01:38 AM
OK. I know we like to act like there isn't a team on the other side of town but, let's face it there is. :(:
My fellow Sox fans, let us put all pride aside and ask ourselves:
If we could have a player from the other side of town who would it be? :?:
I would have asked you who you would send to the other side of town but, I'm sure I know the answer to that one!
:hitless
"What Me, Worry?"

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2002, 01:44 AM
Royko had it right years ago. He pointed out, in his "ex-cub factor," that being on the Cubs infects a player with "cubbiness" which prevents them from being winners. I don't want any northsiders on the Sox.

kermittheefrog
03-12-2002, 01:44 AM
I'd take Wood.

bc2k
03-12-2002, 01:47 AM
Moises Alou and Jon Lieber. You have to consider Alou because he plays everyday (well, when he isn't hurt). But since we have enough outfielders, I would choose Lieber. Lieber, Buehrle, Ritchie, Garland, Rauch is a dominating starting rotation. I have to give Bill Mueller some respect, I love the way he plays, he is the Manos of the Cubs. INMO, the Cubs have three Sox-worthy players with my vote going for Jon Lieber.

Lieber and Ritchie in our rotation? Just call us the Chicago Pirates.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 01:53 AM
Wood, Lieber, Farnsworth(that boy aint bright but he can bring the heat), Bobby Hill, Prior, Sosa(though it pains me to say it), Cruz.....Of course this all assumes we have to give up nothing here.....But I mean every major league ballclub will have guys you could use....no team is perfect

moochpuppy
03-12-2002, 08:28 AM
I too would take Lieber. He would be the opening day starter in this Sox rotation. He's a winner despite the Cubs, he's an innings eater and he's got good stuff.

Soxboyrob
03-12-2002, 08:39 AM
I would take the following guys in the following order:

Mark Prior...this guy would be our #1 or #2 for the next 6 yrs.

John Lieber...our #1 until his contract ran out.

Sosa...would be our best hitter until his contract ran out or Kenny traded him.

Kerry Wood...If he could get healthy and stay healthy, he could possibly throw a no hitter or two every season, until his contract ran out and Jerry refused to re-sign him.

Bobby Hill...We should have signed this guy in the first place.

Kyle Farnsworth....Imagine Farnsworth and Foulke as our 8th and 9th inning team.

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 08:42 AM
The only Cub remotely worthy of being on the Sox would be Jon Lieber, if I had to choose.

Konerkofan
03-12-2002, 09:04 AM
Jon Lieber that's all maybe Prior

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 09:57 AM
What about Rey Sanchez? Oh wait he's on KC now. Darn

duke of dorwood
03-12-2002, 12:04 PM
Gotta be Wood-already has a bad arm, he'd fit in. Also, Bobby Hill.

voodoochile
03-12-2002, 01:33 PM
Farnsworth and Leiber. There are others who could play, but those positions are filled by solid Sox players already.

Wood, if he could stay healthy might be a nice addition also, and I am intrigued by Prior and Hill.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-12-2002, 03:12 PM
NO SOSA!!! the last thing we need is for him to bring his homerun hippies along with him. cub fans are just horrible, and they would follow him.
:nocubs

Cheryl
03-12-2002, 03:15 PM
Lieber. He doesn't look right in that uniform. I bet he'd look a lot more comfortable in silver and black.

I don't see Wood going anywhere. After all, they broke him, they have to buy him.

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Why's that? Is Frank going somewhere?

Soxboyrob
03-12-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox

Why's that? Is Frank going somewhere?

I don't think so, but I think Sosa is arguably the better hitter right now. Careerwise, it's not even debatable, since Frank is among the best 20 hitters in history. If I had to choose a guy for this year only, I'd probably take Sam over Frank. Just trying to be objective. Sosa seems to still be improving or is at least holding serve, but I have a distinct feeling Frank is entering (or has entered) the downside of his career.

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 07:58 PM
I think a rotation featuring Wood, Buehrle, Prior, Garland, and Lieber would work. Farnsworth, Sammy, Hill, maybe Alou, that's about it at this point.

Pete_SSAC
03-12-2002, 08:10 PM
Toughie between Liber and Prior. To quote Ash Gourd, Kerry Wood is "Damaged Goods".

I'll be very surprised if he keeps off the DL this season.

- Pete

OfficerKarkovice
03-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Now as biased as we all are there is no way that anyone can say that we wouldn't want these guys on our team:

Leiber
Sosa (yeah I know but he gets it done)
Prior
Cruz
Hill
Farnesworth
Wood (IF he's healthy)

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2002, 08:43 PM
I don't think so, but I think Sosa is arguably the better hitter right now. Careerwise, it's not even debatable, since Frank is among the best 20 hitters in history. If I had to choose a guy for this year only, I'd probably take Sam over Frank. Just trying to be objective. Sosa seems to still be improving or is at least holding serve, but I have a distinct feeling Frank is entering (or has entered) the downside of his career.
In 2000 Frank had a very "Franklike" year. Last year he was hurt. I haven't seen anything to indicate he is on a slide, or that Sosa with his strikouts is the equal of Frank as a hitter.

Cheryl
03-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
Now as biased as we all are there is no way that anyone can say that we wouldn't want these guys on our team:

Leiber
Sosa (yeah I know but he gets it done)
Prior
Cruz
Hill
Farnesworth
Wood (IF he's healthy)

I know this is theorectical, but if they took Slammy back that would be the end for me.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-12-2002, 09:35 PM
I would take the following guys in the following order:

Mark Prior...this guy would be our #1 or #2 for the next 6 yrs.

John Lieber...our #1 until his contract ran out.

Kerry Wood...If he could get healthy and stay healthy, he could possibly throw a no hitter or two every season, until his contract ran out and Jerry refused to re-sign him.

Bobby Hill...We should have signed this guy in the first place.

Kyle Farnsworth....Imagine Farnsworth and Foulke as our 8th and 9th inning team.

Zzzz... Zzzz... Zzzz... Zzzz...

Gee, if we got all these Flubbie players, we would break up that dynasty they've been building towards the past 93 years.

:)

Dadawg_77
03-12-2002, 09:38 PM
Sosa in LF, then the Sox could move Lee for more pitching.

Soxboyrob
03-12-2002, 09:45 PM

In 2000 Frank had a very "Franklike" year. Last year he was hurt. I haven't seen anything to indicate he is on a slide, or that Sosa with his strikouts is the equal of Frank as a hitter.

No disputing that Frank had an excellent season in 2000. My point was that it's the only truly excellent season he's had in the last four. Granted he was injured last year, but his slow start didn't give me any indication that he was on his way to greatness in 2001. Sosa's 2001 season is better than any season Frank ever had, except for 1994. This isn't meant to take anything away from Frank. Not trying to say that he and Sosa are worlds apart, either. I think my expectations of Frank have dropped some after the injury and all. Put it this way Nellie...I would like nothing more than for you to be right and me to be wrong. Nothing would make me happier, but for my money I'd have to take my chances w/ the current Sosa over the current Frank.

Soxboyrob
03-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Zzzz... Zzzz... Zzzz... Zzzz...

Gee, if we got all these Flubbie players, we would break up that dynasty they've been building towards the past 93 years.

:)

Got a good laugh out of this one. We've got to be honest though...an all-star team of Sox and Cub players right now would be a pretty damned good team, if not unbeatable. There is a ton of talent on both ends of town, regardless of our dislike for the blue and red team.

pissonthecubs
03-12-2002, 09:52 PM
if the flubs don't want to take mark prior north when spring training is over, then we will be happy to take him off their hands. and i think passing over farnsworth might be too tough also, i mean if howry can't find his stuff, farnsworth would look good filling in the void.

p.s. Garland wins 12 games this year

VeeckAsInWreck
03-12-2002, 09:55 PM
p.s. Garland wins 12 games this year [/B][/QUOTE]

:cleo

"I see your 12 and raise you 5!" :smile:

foulkesfan11
03-13-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Cheryl

I know this is theorectical, but if they took Slammy back that would be the end for me.

Cheryl, I agree with you. If Shammy came back, I'd have a problem too!

Soxboyrob
03-13-2002, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11

Cheryl, I agree with you. If Shammy came back, I'd have a problem too!

I just don't get it....I'd rather have Sammy roaming LF than Carlos (I don't know what this big glove on my left hand is for) Lee. I think our anti-Cub bias is getting in the way of clear thinking on this issue. Sure, he's a hot dog. He seems a bit selfish. He strikes out a lot. And he hits 60+ HRs and drives in about 150 runs a year. As long as he's a Cub, I'll root against him, but if he were suddenly on the Sox, the Sox would be a better team because of it. Ultimately, I want a better team.

Iwritecode
03-13-2002, 09:34 AM
Got a good laugh out of this one. We've got to be honest though...an all-star team of Sox and Cub players right now would be a pretty damned good team, if not unbeatable. There is a ton of talent on both ends of town, regardless of our dislike for the blue and red team.

You make a good point, the Cubs do have some decent players. Although the simple fact that they all wear a large red C on their uniforms and call Wrigley their home, they are doomed to failure.

They could make the entire Yankee staff the Cubs and they would somehow find a way to lose...

FarmerAndy
03-13-2002, 02:27 PM
I would take Jon Lieber in a second. He would be our #1 starter. He's a great pitcher and I've always felt bad that he has to pitch over there in loserville with the cubs. He's worthy of a Sox uniform.

If I had to pick one other, I'd go with Mark Prior. I saw him pitch when I was in Arizona last week. He can bring it.

RichH55
03-13-2002, 11:45 PM
Well I think bias affects this, but is there any organization that you wouldn't take someone from their major league roster?(prospects don't count unless they are expected to get serious playing time in the majors this year)? I can't imagine a team that bad

Nellie_Fox
03-14-2002, 02:05 AM
This whole thread makes me want to puke. You guys sound like Cubs fans..."Oh, Lieber would be the #1 starter....Woods would pitch one or two nohitters every year....Sosa would be the best hitter on the team." Give me a break.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-14-2002, 05:50 AM
This whole thread makes me want to puke. You guys sound like Cubs fans..."Oh, Lieber would be the #1 starter....Woods would pitch one or two nohitters every year....Sosa would be the best hitter on the team." Give me a break.

Whoaaah Nellie!, No one has called for KW to trade for Delino Deshields or anything like that! Everyone is simply stating who would probably be good for the Sox. Love em' or hate em' they do have some(a few) good players otherwise we wouldn't talk about them. That's not to say that we don't have some damn good players ourselves. If the sCrUBS could have: Maggs, Pauly, Burly, or Garland....(oops they had him!) they'd be hanging up a championship banner at the urinal.(They could hang it up next to the attendance banner) :smile:
Relax Nellie this is still a Sox fan site! :gulp:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-14-2002, 09:14 AM

LOL! I was wondering if there weren't a lot of crossdressing she-males in this thread, too!

:shammy
"Just call me Sam."