PDA

View Full Version : Twins' Liriano out for all of 2007

downstairs
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9941393

itsnotrequired
01-19-2007, 10:40 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/9941393

I don't cheer injuries but I'm also not about to get choked up over this news.:wink:

rdwj
01-19-2007, 10:44 AM
ouch! That's too bad - that kid is talented.

chisoxmike
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
WSI Robot voice: Oh man, that sucks for him, his family, the Twins, and the entire MLB. He was such a promising young arm. It's a shame we will have to wait until 2008 to see him pitch. :mad:

:cool:

Rocky Soprano
01-19-2007, 10:46 AM
I thought they said that last year?

lakeviewsoxfan
01-19-2007, 10:59 AM
The Twins will find someone who will be better it just seems when adversity hits that club that they respond very very well.

chisoxmike
01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
The Twins will find someone who will be better it just seems when adversity hits that club that they respond very very well.

Yep, and they will sweep us when it matters most. Boof Bonser will become some 20 game winner and Carlos Silva will not suck anymore. Book it.

Hitmen77
01-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Yep, and they will sweep us when it matters most. Boof Bonser will become some 20 game winner and Carlos Silva will not suck anymore. Book it.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit.

maurice
01-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Healthier? Probably. Better? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Better than Liriano means a starting pitcher with better than a 2.16 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 10.71 K/9, 4.5 K/BB & .800 W%. Even the great Santana couldn't top that.

esbrechtel
01-19-2007, 01:02 PM
Is this thing contagious? If so i think him and santana need to hangout :redneck

RKMeibalane
01-19-2007, 01:06 PM
I thought they said that last year?

I think Twins management suspected that he would miss '07, but it wasn't confirmed until now.

DarkHorse35
01-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Liriano is a good example of why you don't rush guys back from an injury. My buddy from Minnesota whose one of the cockiest fans I've ever met has already conceded the Twins are done this year because of teh loss of Liriano and Radke. I'm just wondering if he'll ever be the same pitcher ever again.

thomas35forever
01-19-2007, 01:28 PM
It's sad when young promising pitchers are brought back too early from injury. Whoever gave Liriano the idea he was completely healthy should be fired from the Twins' medical staff.

tick53
01-19-2007, 02:01 PM
I hate to see anyone in pain. The kid is a major talent. But if it has to happen..............

DumpJerry
01-19-2007, 02:41 PM
If you ever get to see a slow motion clip of Liriano's delivery, you would rush to the Orthopod ASAP yourself from the pain you imagine he is experiencing. He torques his arm something furious. I mean his forearm bows more than Daver's crossbow. He won't last long with this delivery.

Guys who deliver like that don't get to pitch much after 30 years old, their arms are 80 years old by then.

I think the Twins run of producing great pitchers is running out. Kenny has snatched up all the good prospects. Also, we should remember, Liriano was not a product of the Twins. He was a throw-in when they traded our own AJ to the Giants.

The Immigrant
01-19-2007, 02:43 PM
Also, we should remember, Liriano was not a product of the Twins. He was a throw-in when they traded our own AJ to the Giants.

Exactly, as was Nathan. Santana was a Rule 5 pick, so he's not a Twins product either.

Brad Radke may be the last solid starter that organization produced, but I trust the experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

SOX ADDICT '73
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
If you ever get to see a slow motion clip of Liriano's delivery, you would rush to the Orthopod ASAP yourself from the pain you imagine he is experiencing. He torques his arm something furious. I mean his forearm bows more than Daver's crossbow. He won't last long with this delivery.

Guys who deliver like that don't get to pitch much after 30 years old, their arms are 80 years old by then.

I could be wrong (I haven't seen footage of them side-by-side) but I remember first seeing Liriano pitch and thinking, "Boy, that kid's delivery reminds me of Kerry Wood..."

DumpJerry
01-19-2007, 03:53 PM
I could be wrong (I haven't seen footage of them side-by-side) but I remember first seeing Liriano pitch and thinking, "Boy, that kid's delivery reminds me of Kerry Wood..."
It's Wood with more violence in the forearm. (I would say "it's Wood on steroids, but that would start a firestorm).

I want Mags back
01-19-2007, 03:55 PM
oh bummer

Rocky Soprano
01-19-2007, 04:12 PM
I think Twins management suspected that he would miss '07, but it wasn't confirmed until now.

Ah, Thanks!

DSpivack
01-20-2007, 12:48 AM
Exactly, as was Nathan. Santana was a Rule 5 pick, so he's not a Twins product either.

Brad Radke may be the last solid starter that organization produced, but I trust the experts will correct me if I'm wrong.

Johan Santana came to mind, so I looked him up and didn't know that the Astros originally signed him in 1995, then the Marlins drafted him in 1999 (Rule V Pick) and subsequently traded him to Minnesota.

caulfield12
01-20-2007, 04:13 AM
Garza has a chance to be a good one and is their best hope for an organizational success, so to speak. Silva from Phils, Lohse from Cubs. Scott Baker (Oklahoma State) is their other hope, along with Glen Perkins. Baker has a nice arm but no idea what to do with it, like Kip Wells circa 2001.

Bonser was part of the SF trade as well.

DumpJerry
01-20-2007, 08:37 AM
Ok, so Nathan, Liriano and Bonser were acquired when they traded Pierzynski to the Giants. However, they boo AJ when he comes to bat like he betrayed them. I was very puzzled by this since his trade brought several very good arms to the team. At a Sox/Twins game last summer there were two nice guys from Minnesota sitting near (by "nice," I mean I could talk to them on a rational level unlike Cub fans who are blithering idiots). I asked him why the hate for AJ given the above facts. He gave me a lost look, shrugged his shoulders and said "he's a former player" and admitted that it made no sense.

caulfield12
01-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Ok, so Nathan, Liriano and Bonser were acquired when they traded Pierzynski to the Giants. However, they boo AJ when he comes to bat like he betrayed them. I was very puzzled by this since his trade brought several very good arms to the team. At a Sox/Twins game last summer there were two nice guys from Minnesota sitting near (by "nice," I mean I could talk to them on a rational level unlike Cub fans who are blithering idiots). I asked him why the hate for AJ given the above facts. He gave me a lost look, shrugged his shoulders and said "he's a former player" and admitted that it made no sense.

But they don't boo Ortiz when he comes back to play there. That guy is loved by everyone, I think they gave him an ovation.

itsnotrequired
01-20-2007, 09:18 AM
But they don't boo Ortiz when he comes back to play there. That guy is loved by everyone, I think they gave him an ovation.

Why are you comparing the Ortiz situation to Pierzynski's?

ma-gaga
01-20-2007, 11:19 AM
However, they boo AJ when he comes to bat like he betrayed them.

But they don't boo Ortiz

It's just AJ being AJ. He is caustic and is an agitator, which is his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. So, he gets' booed because of his personality. Love him on your team, hate him on another.

Ortiz has always been known as a good clubhouse guy. Keeps everyone "loose" and is always smiling. You cannot boo him. It's like booing your mom. Where AJ is more like your second cousin who is dating his sister... :D:

what?

champagne030
01-20-2007, 11:49 AM
It's just AJ being AJ. He is caustic and is an agitator, which is his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. So, he gets' booed because of his personality. Love him on your team, hate him on another.

Ortiz has always been known as a good clubhouse guy. Keeps everyone "loose" and is always smiling. You cannot boo him. It's like booing your mom. Where AJ is more like your second cousin who is dating his sister... :D:

what?

Fat Papi? I can boo him. Not really because I have anything against him, more to just to piss off Red Sox fans and the rest of the Eastern Seaboard Propaganda Network loving sheep. :redneck

caulfield12
01-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Give me a team of Gwynn, Ortiz, Cecil Fielder and Sid Fernandez and we'll roll you every time.

I draw the line at adding John I am not a Kruk though...

SOXSINCE'70
01-20-2007, 12:23 PM
I didn't expect to see him at all this year.
Hope he's well rested and healed up for 2008.
At least I won't have to worry about him no hitting
the Sox in 2007.

WhiteSox5187
01-20-2007, 12:47 PM
They still have Santana and the Twins ALWAYS seem to find somebody who can hurt you. I have no clue how they do it. They always manage to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

daveeym
01-20-2007, 04:09 PM
It's sad when young promising pitchers are brought back too early from injury. Whoever gave Liriano the idea he was completely healthy should be fired from the Twins' medical staff.
He wasn't brought back to soon. There's only so much they can do. They shut him down and try to rehab him before opting for surgery. When he's been shut down long enough it's time to go see whether it took or not. It looks like his ligament was shot either way with surgery being the end result.

JB98
01-21-2007, 01:52 AM

what?

I'd boo my mom if she played for the Red Sox.

maurice
01-22-2007, 02:18 PM
Neither player left the Twinks voluntarily.
Ortiz was non-tendered, while Pierzynski was traded.
Both went on to win championships with other AL teams.

Perhaps they boo AJ because he plays for a hated division rival.

Perhaps they forget that they had Ortiz in his pre-BigPapi / perennial-MVP-candidate days.
:redneck

PennStater98r
01-22-2007, 06:17 PM
Healthier? Probably. Better? I wouldn't hold my breath.

Better than Liriano means a starting pitcher with better than a 2.16 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 10.71 K/9, 4.5 K/BB & .800 W%. Even the great Santana couldn't top that.

http://mlb.mlb.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_276371.jpg What'd you say? You talkin' to me?

:ozzie OK - let's not tempt the devil please!