PDA

View Full Version : Trot Nixon a Indian

01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
According to ESPN 1000...1 year deal

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 09:30 AM
According to ESPN 1000...1 year deal

That gives them another option, I guess with Michaels, Blake, Choo and Dellucci. A little like the White Sox signing Erstad would be perceived, I guess.

The problem is all of these guys are just "okay" but not really regular players...Blake and Choo would seem to be the best of those five options, but I don't even see where Blake will play if they have also Garko, Marte, Peralta, Barfield and Hafner, along with Martinez. To tell you the truth, I really thought Jody Gerut was going to be a stud RFer but he got injured and his career fell apart.

Is Blake going back to 3B? 1B, to fight it out with Garko? Have they given up playing Martinez at 1B? On their current roster, they have Blake listed as an infielder.

Right now, Sizemore, Peralta, Barfield, Hafner and Martinez would SEEM to be the only sure things, with Marte the favorite at third to take the position.

Fenway
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
The ultimate dirt dog, the Indians will be pleased with him

I will miss him

Good Luck Trot

http://bp1.blogger.com/_k-FA5pISm-w/RbDnA_dclHI/AAAAAAAAAYo/xRaiPGMdsBA/s400/Trot-Nixon-2003-ALCS-Game-4-Homerun--C10131545.jpeg (http://bp1.blogger.com/_k-FA5pISm-w/RbDnA_dclHI/AAAAAAAAAYo/xRaiPGMdsBA/s1600-h/Trot-Nixon-2003-ALCS-Game-4-Homerun--C10131545.jpeg)

mccoydp
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
News flash: Dayn Perry just fainted.

Jerko
01-19-2007, 10:29 AM
Trot Nixon a Indian? Didn't he used to be an Red Sox?

Sorry.:o:

SABRSox
01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Damn, that's a real good sign for the Indians. Any info on the money?

JUribe1989
01-19-2007, 10:36 AM
I really like Trot Nixon. He has more range than anyone gives him credit for in RF and he is such a clutch hitter, but the Indians sure have a lot of OF's now. And they need to get Ryan Garko in at some point. But they are all more than capable hitting OF's so I guess it is a very good problem for the Indians to have too many OF's that can hit. Man, what I wouldn't give for that OF depth: Sizemore, Blake, Choo, Garko, Michaels, Nixon, and Dellucci.:o:

Fenway
01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Trot Nixon a Indian? Didn't he used to be an Red Sox?

Sorry.:o:

:whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Boston Dirt Dogs is not taking it well

http://www.bostondirtdogs.com

Nixon Goes to Indians (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/), Better Sign Drew

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
I really like Trot Nixon. He has more range than anyone gives him credit for in RF and he is such a clutch hitter, but the Indians sure have a lot of OF's now. And they need to get Ryan Garko in at some point. But they are all more than capable hitting OF's so I guess it is a very good problem for the Indians to have too many OF's that can hit. Man, what I wouldn't give for that OF depth: Sizemore, Blake, Choo, Garko, Michaels, Nixon, and Dellucci.:o:

Except Garko's not an OF. And besides Sizemore, none of those guys would be more valuable (if we could trade for them straight up) to the White Sox than Pods.

We had a very good bench last year, but it wasn't enough.

palehozenychicty
01-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Except Garko's not an OF. And besides Sizemore, none of those guys would be more valuable (if we could trade for them straight up) to the White Sox than Pods.

We had a very good bench last year, but it wasn't enough.

Out of that group, Sizemore is the most complete player by far.

thedudeabides
01-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Damn, that's a real good sign for the Indians. Any info on the money?

ESPN reporting 1 yr, $3 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2735974

SABRSox
01-19-2007, 12:01 PM
ESPN reporting 1 yr, $3 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2735974

Wow. That's a bargain. Great signing by the Indians. Kinda wish we made a run at him for those dollars.

maurice
01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Out of that group, Sizemore is the most complete player by far.

Yeah, the Jndjans have Sizemore plus a bunch of corner OF, corner IF & DHs. Unfortunately for them, two of these corner / DH guys will be forced to play SS & C. It makes for a nice roto league team, though.

palehozenychicty
01-19-2007, 12:16 PM
Yeah, the Jndjans have Sizemore plus a bunch of corner OF, corner IF & DHs. Unfortunately for them, two of these corner / DH guys will be forced to play SS & C. It makes for a nice roto league team, though.

Which is why foolish propellerheads keep picking the Indjans to make a consistent run, although they play the game as poorly as anyone. Their raw stats look great, but when the game is on the line, they will lose. See 2004 and 2005 as an example.

ondafarm
01-19-2007, 12:33 PM
Good teams are good up the middle. How well do the Indians match up with the Sox, Tigers and Twins heck, even the Royals?

DarkHorse35
01-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Indian's season will still come down to teh bullpen. Are Foulke and Roberto Hernandez really the answer?

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 01:14 PM
Good teams are good up the middle. How well do the Indians match up with the Sox, Tigers and Twins heck, even the Royals?

Very good with Barfield and Sizemore, bad with Peralta and great offense from Martinez (versus league averages for C) cancelled largely by horrendous defense.

Sizemore > BA, Mack
Uribe = Peralta
Iguchi > Luna, Bellliard
AJ = Martinez

You could logically argue the Indians have an advantage over the Sox here, because 2 of their best 3 players are at these positions. And I was charitable with AJ, because nearly every GM in baseball would take him over AJ. But AJ and Iguchi and even Uribe are "winners" and Martinez is not, at least yet.

With Barfield, they would be even or ahead of the Sox at all four positions, once again, arguably.

maurice
01-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Considering defense alone, the Jndjans are (at best) stronger than the Sox at only one up-the-middle position: 2B.

The widest gap is SS, where Uribe >>> Peralta.

caulfield12
01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Indian's season will still come down to teh bullpen. Are Foulke and Roberto Hernandez really the answer?

Hernandez isn't a major factor.

Borowski and Foulke are the keys here, and their health.

JB98
01-21-2007, 02:01 AM

Well, Sizemore is a good ballplayer. After that, hmmmm.......

Cambridge
01-21-2007, 09:28 AM
The widest gap is SS, where Uribe >>> Peralta.

In which ways are Uribe better than Peralta? Peralta, who is close to three years younger, had an OPS+ of 85 last year to Uribe's 74. And while their fielding percentages were the same, Peralta had a much better range factor: 4.72 to 4.47.

SBSoxFan
01-22-2007, 12:24 PM
Very good with Barfield and Sizemore, bad with Peralta and great offense from Martinez (versus league averages for C) cancelled largely by horrendous defense.

Sizemore > BA, Mack
Uribe = Peralta
Iguchi > Luna, Bellliard
AJ = Martinez

You could logically argue the Indians have an advantage over the Sox here, because 2 of their best 3 players are at these positions. And I was charitable with AJ, because nearly every GM in baseball would take him over AJ. But AJ and Iguchi and even Uribe are "winners" and Martinez is not, at least yet.

With Barfield, they would be even or ahead of the Sox at all four positions, once again, arguably.

How much will Martinez catch this year? Didn't they move him to 1B last year because his throwing was so bad?

maurice
01-22-2007, 02:06 PM
In which ways are Uribe better than Peralta? Peralta, who is close to three years younger, had an OPS+ of 85 last year to Uribe's 74.

:rolleyes:

Consider reading the entire post before hitting "reply." I know it was two whole sentences, but indulge me. The bolded items have absolutely nothing to do with my post.

Uribe is one of the best defensive players in baseball. Peralta is a 3B masquerading as a SS.

JB98
01-22-2007, 11:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Consider reading the entire post before hitting "reply." I know it was two whole sentences, but indulge me. The bolded items have absolutely nothing to do with my post.

Uribe is one of the best defensive players in baseball. Peralta is a 3B masquerading as a SS.

When Juan wants to be, he is one of the best defensive players in baseball.

2005 Uribe: Damn good, scary good at times
2006 Uribe: Still better than average, but too many mental lapses

IndianWhiteSox
01-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Since when did he get Indian Citizenship?:redneck