PDA

View Full Version : AL Central Teams are smart spenders

Oblong
01-18-2007, 05:53 PM
Thought you'd all like this:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070118/SPORTS08/701180308/1004/SPORTS

The big-market White Sox are theoretically in the best position of all Central Division teams to commit excess cash, although they have largely resisted and are in great shape to contend.

SABRSox
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
Thought you'd all like this:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070118/SPORTS08/701180308/1004/SPORTS

It's too bad that article was so short. I would have liked a little more in depth analysis, but at least it was very well balanced.

veeter
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
The Sox are like a well organized, clean garage with new, strong tools neatly on the shelves. The cubs are like a cluttered, dirty garage with two shiny Escalades barely fitting inside. But if you look close, the Escalades have scratches.

Oblong
01-18-2007, 06:22 PM
That writer is their general baseball writer and the Detroit News really doesn't let him loose like they should. He reads a lot of websites but I suspect the News likes to keep it short.

Our sports sections have really gone down hill, starting about 12 years ago when their was a big strike at our papers.

But his general point is the main reason I like the AL Central so much. They've got smart GM's. The teams in the AL Central run their organizations the proper way in my opinion. On another MB there was a rumor of Detroit going back to the east if an NL team went west and moved to he AL with TB moving to the NL. I'd hate to see that. I like the rivalries and it's fun to watch the young talent develop across the teams. I can read here about the good prospects in the Sox organization and finally get to see them 20 times a year when they make it to the big leagues. That's exciting for me as a fan.

SABRSox
01-18-2007, 06:29 PM
That writer is their general baseball writer and the Detroit News really doesn't let him loose like they should. He reads a lot of websites but I suspect the News likes to keep it short.

Our sports sections have really gone down hill, starting about 12 years ago when their was a big strike at our papers.

But his general point is the main reason I like the AL Central so much. They've got smart GM's. The teams in the AL Central run their organizations the proper way in my opinion. On another MB there was a rumor of Detroit going back to the east if an NL team went west and moved to he AL with TB moving to the NL. I'd hate to see that. I like the rivalries and it's fun to watch the young talent develop across the teams. I can read here about the good prospects in the Sox organization and finally get to see them 20 times a year when they make it to the big leagues. That's exciting for me as a fan.

DET could never compete financially in the east. While it would be a good move for TB, and the Marlins too if they got out of Miami, DET wouldn't see a division title for a long time going up against the Yankees and Red Sox.

caulfield12
01-18-2007, 06:53 PM
DET could never compete financially in the east. While it would be a good move for TB, and the Marlins too if they got out of Miami, DET wouldn't see a division title for a long time going up against the Yankees and Red Sox.

What other organizations could consistently compete with NY and Boston from a financial as well as talent development standpoint?

Detroit has been spending a ton of money the last couple of years to improve their team, and if they keep their pitchin core intact (Verlander, Bonderman, Robertson, Zumaya, Rodney), they could theoretically pull it off.

However, Maggs/Guillen/Sheffield/I-Rod/Rogers all are aging....their window is closing, just like the White Sox.

maurice
01-18-2007, 07:58 PM
there was a rumor of Detroit going back to the east

I heard that one too. I'm still trying to figure out how you put Detroit in the East and leave Cleveland in the Central. I guess geography is irrelevant.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2007, 08:09 PM
I heard that one too. I'm still trying to figure out how you put Detroit in the East and leave Cleveland in the Central. I guess geography is irrelevant.

Well, the Braves are in the NL East and the Pirates are in the NL Central even though Atlanta is further west than Pittsburgh.

champagne030
01-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Well, the Braves are in the NL East and the Pirates are in the NL Central even though Atlanta is further west than Pittsburgh.

You cannot touch the dear NY markets. NY wants nothing to do with western PA, but I95 goes through Georgia and Braves country on their way to their winter homes in FLA. Even with Bud, the world revolves around the Northeast.

Malgar 12
01-18-2007, 10:15 PM
It will never happen but the best solution is to move TB to NY/NJ. That area could easily support another team, and it would put a drag on the Yankees. Which is of course why it will never happen.

ondafarm
01-18-2007, 10:47 PM

Atlanta was in the NL West for years so them being in the East is a great improvement from their standpoint.

ondafarm
01-18-2007, 10:49 PM
The Sox are like a well organized, clean garage with new, strong tools neatly on the shelves. The cubs are like a cluttered, dirty garage with two shiny Escalades barely fitting inside. But if you look close, the Escalades have scratches.

An interesting analogy. I never pitcured the Flubs as having Escalades, I thought more along the lines of Studebakers.

maurice
01-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I assume that the Braves in the East has something to do with travel. Pittsburgh is a lot closer to most of the other NL Central cities (Cincy, StL, Chicago, and Milwaukee...but not Houston) than ATL is. What's the justification for adding Detroit to the AL East instead of Cleveland?

Eventually, they might need a "South" division like the NFL. Until fairly recently, the NFC had Arizona and Dallas in the East; Tampa in the Central; and StL, ATL, New Orleans, and NC in the West. Heck, some of these teams still are messed up.

WizardsofOzzie
01-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Atlanta was in the NL West for years so them being in the East is a great improvement from their standpoint.
And the Sox were in the AL West :dunno:

Taliesinrk
01-19-2007, 09:34 AM

unfortunately I'm gonna have to disagree with the analogy.. because i would go with the escalade garage. Sell one, then hire someone to buff out the scratches and clean the garage while they're at it...

Oblong
01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
What's the justification for adding Detroit to the AL East instead of Cleveland?

The rumor, from what I remember, wasn't a published article. Just a guy on a MB who maybe forgot about Cleveland and just assumed it'd be Detroit.

cws05champ
01-19-2007, 04:27 PM

And in 3 years the Escalades will be repoed because they can't afford them any more....