PDA

View Full Version : Sox fans an unusual breed?

tony1972
01-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Right Off-I am not one who likes to generalize or group people...but I this is something I have observed over the years and I was wondering if anyone agrees?

I am noticing this more and more (especially at my job)..but whenever we hire someone new, after only a few days I can usually guess if that person is a Sox fan. Wherever I've worked..gone to school, etc. I've noticed the same type of characteristics in the Sox fans I've met.

First, they are usually pretty eccentric. I mean this as a compliment. They are very passionate about the Sox (almost to an extreme) and defend the team as if it were they were a family member (most sports fans do this I know.....but Sox fans seem to do it to maybe a point that is past the fan and more the fanatic stage). I've noticed that their humor is also a bit out of the norm (not Friends, but maybe Family Guy) and they usually have a little bit of an attitude.

Second, if someone at my job has a great sense of humor...is very funny....tends to be pretty sarcastic, LOVES practical jokes and acts about 10 years younger then thier real age..I can guess they are a Sox fan.

Third, they seem to be the most easy going and likeable ones to work with. Maybe because it's something you have in common with them? But I think it is just a more down to earth type of personality.

It's just weird how White Sox fans seem to be a 'bit out of the norm'...is it the Southside Attitudes and general friendliness we grew up with? Do Sox fans have higher IQ's which leads to unusual brain activity? Too much hard drinking done through the years at the Cell? :smile: I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this about other Sox fans. I am not being insulting since I am a fan myself...

DumpJerry
01-17-2007, 10:33 PM
It's real easy.

High IQ=Sox fan.
Low IQ=all other teams.

HotelWhiteSox
01-17-2007, 10:37 PM
I would say I'm all of those except the first thing about going crazy about defending the Sox. Moreso in the past, but I just stay out of the debates now, it's a lost cause, especially with the "fans" you're usually debating with, gives me a headache thinking about it. Just like to cheer/rep my team and not worry what others think

FedEx227
01-17-2007, 10:42 PM
It's just human nature, I guess

I've always had a knack for picking out Cubs/Sox fans. It's hard to explain really, it's just something I guess you kinda have.

In my hometown we have two high-schools and its amazing how easily you can pick out the difference between the two, even if you didn't go there, there's no denying the split between the two. Jerome, I believe went to the opposite high-school as me and could probably attest to that.

WhiteSox5187
01-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Historically Sox fans have had a chip on their shoulder, so that might make us easier to pick out.

tebman
01-18-2007, 08:23 AM
I think it's true that certain kinds of people are drawn to be Sox fans. That sense of humor is shown on the message boards every day. :redneck

Go to this page (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/SoxSounds.htm) on WSI and scroll down to "Balls," which is a funny excerpt of Jean Shepard (the writer of "A Christmas Story" and the books it was based on) talking about growing up a White Sox fan. He describes the fatalism and the unusual perspective of a Sox fan.

In my experience, Sox fans are fatalistic and down-to-earth types who stick with the Sox even when the the team makes them crazy, the same way they'd stick by a brother who does dumb things and makes them nuts. There's also a healthy skepticism and a low tolerance for puffery.

Whereas, you could probably think of another team's fans who are ususally the opposite type. :wink:

skottyj242
01-18-2007, 08:24 AM
It's real easy.

High IQ=Sox fan.
Low IQ=all other teams.

I beg to differ Dump, I'm pretty dumb.

jenn2080
01-18-2007, 09:23 AM

:rolleyes:

digdagdug23
01-18-2007, 11:02 AM
Right Off-I am not one who likes to generalize or group people...but I this is something I have observed over the years and I was wondering if anyone agrees?

I am noticing this more and more (especially at my job)..but whenever we hire someone new, after only a few days I can usually guess if that person is a Sox fan. Wherever I've worked..gone to school, etc. I've noticed the same type of characteristics in the Sox fans I've met.

First, they are usually pretty eccentric. I mean this as a compliment. They are very passionate about the Sox (almost to an extreme) and defend the team as if it were they were a family member (most sports fans do this I know.....but Sox fans seem to do it to maybe a point that is past the fan and more the fanatic stage). I've noticed that their humor is also a bit out of the norm (not Friends, but maybe Family Guy) and they usually have a little bit of an attitude.

Second, if someone at my job has a great sense of humor...is very funny....tends to be pretty sarcastic, LOVES practical jokes and acts about 10 years younger then thier real age..I can guess they are a Sox fan.

Third, they seem to be the most easy going and likeable ones to work with. Maybe because it's something you have in common with them? But I think it is just a more down to earth type of personality.

It's just weird how White Sox fans seem to be a 'bit out of the norm'...is it the Southside Attitudes and general friendliness we grew up with? Do Sox fans have higher IQ's which leads to unusual brain activity? Too much hard drinking done through the years at the Cell? :smile: I am wondering if anyone else has noticed this about other Sox fans. I am not being insulting since I am a fan myself...

Hey I resemble that remark!!!!

Hitmen77
01-18-2007, 11:10 AM
I've always had a knack for picking out Cubs/Sox fans. It's hard to explain really, it's just something I guess you kinda have.

I know what you mean. Strange how often someone who "seems like a Sox fan" (whatever that means) turns out to be a Sox fan.

I once had a summer job as a kid where the place (everyone else there was at least in their mid 20s) was maybe 10 Cub fans and 3 Sox fans. I have to say that the 3 Sox fans (along with 1 of the Cub fans) were among the nicest and most down-to-earth people of the group - and it was nothing to do with our discussions about baseball. Of the rest, no one was a total jerk, but they were a bit on the arrogant or obnoxious side. It was a very interesting random sample of Chicago baseball fans for me

I'm certainly not saying "all Sox fans are good guys" or "all Cub fans are bad guys". There are jerks and decent people in both fan bases. Many people are fans of a particular team because of the side of town they grew up in or because of the family they grew up in. Nothing wrong with that - plenty of good people on both sides there. But, I do often find that Sox fans are a certain kind of person. Down to earth, "against the grain" type of people. Often not exactly the "coolest" people on earth, but not doofusses either - just people who know that being "cool" isn't what life is all about.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a rich vs. poor, masters degree vs. GED, lawyer vs. blue collar type of thing. This transcends those demographics. It's not about liberals vs. conservatives (or vs. moderates- where most people are anyway) or people who like theater and opera vs. people who like shoot-em-up movies. Starbucks latte vs. Miller six-pack? That's not what I'm talking about - both types can easily be Sox fans or Cub fans IMO.

IMO, Cub fans are a dime-a-dozen. Plenty of nice people in that group, but also plenty of people that seem to care more about high attendance than winning - and that attitude doesn't stop at baseball, it's reflective of their general attitude on life. Also, alot of Cub fans are people transplanted to Chicago who think the city only exists north of downtown running along the red and brown lines. They're interlopers in that fan base and often give their real fans a bad name.

lakeviewsoxfan
01-18-2007, 11:38 AM
I know what you mean. Strange how often someone who "seems like a Sox fan" (whatever that means) turns out to be a Sox fan.

I once had a summer job as a kid where the place (everyone else there was at least in their mid 20s) was maybe 10 Cub fans and 3 Sox fans. I have to say that the 3 Sox fans (along with 1 of the Cub fans) were among the nicest and most down-to-earth people of the group - and it was nothing to do with our discussions about baseball. Of the rest, no one was a total jerk, but they were a bit on the arrogant or obnoxious side. It was a very interesting random sample of Chicago baseball fans for me

I'm certainly not saying "all Sox fans are good guys" or "all Cub fans are bad guys". There are jerks and decent people in both fan bases. Many people are fans of a particular team because of the side of town they grew up in or because of the family they grew up in. Nothing wrong with that - plenty of good people on both sides there. But, I do often find that Sox fans are a certain kind of person. Down to earth, "against the grain" type of people. Often not exactly the "coolest" people on earth, but not doofusses either - just people who know that being "cool" isn't what life is all about.

Don't get me wrong - this isn't a rich vs. poor, masters degree vs. GED, lawyer vs. blue collar type of thing. This transcends those demographics. It's not about liberals vs. conservatives (or vs. moderates- where most people are anyway) or people who like theater and opera vs. people who like shoot-em-up movies. Starbucks latte vs. Miller six-pack? That's not what I'm talking about - both types can easily be Sox fans or Cub fans IMO.

IMO, Cub fans are a dime-a-dozen. Plenty of nice people in that group, but also plenty of people that seem to care more about high attendance than winning - and that attitude doesn't stop at baseball, it's reflective of their general attitude on life. Also, alot of Cub fans are people transplanted to Chicago who think the city only exists north of downtown running along the red and brown lines. They're interlopers in that fan base and often give their real fans a bad name.

Your last paragraph sums up 50% of the Cubs Fan base. Especially around the area around the urinal. I would guess that at least 1/2 of the Lakeview/Lincoln Park residents are from parts of the country other than Chicago. You would think that they would continue to support the team they grew up watching e.g. Tigers, Reds, Indians etc. Nope they all become Cub Fans, why you ask is the question I have been asking my fiance for the last 3 years who grew up in Detroit and lived next to Tom Brookens and Rick Leach and was aroundf baseball her whole life her answer, well I am still waiting for that.

voodoochile
01-18-2007, 12:21 PM
People who value function over form are always different...

maurice
01-18-2007, 12:27 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:jh8QinkSlyxzqM:http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/69/200px-WillFerrell.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/6/69/200px-WillFerrell.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.answers.com/topic/will-ferrell&h=279&w=200&sz=11&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=jh8QinkSlyxzqM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=82&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dron%2Bburgundy%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den %26lr%3D)
"Sox fans discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and
brawn. That's the kind of fan I am. Fans of other teams have a small brain
. . . a brain a third the size of us. It's science."

DumpJerry
01-18-2007, 12:36 PM
Well, that may be your opinion.....

Tannerfan
01-18-2007, 12:38 PM
Your last paragraph sums up 50% of the Cubs Fan base. Especially around the area around the urinal. I would guess that at least 1/2 of the Lakeview/Lincoln Park residents are from parts of the country other than Chicago. You would think that they would continue to support the team they grew up watching e.g. Tigers, Reds, Indians etc. Nope they all become Cub Fans, why you ask is the question I have been asking my fiance for the last 3 years who grew up in Detroit and lived next to Tom Brookens and Rick Leach and was aroundf baseball her whole life her answer, well I am still waiting for that.

You've had a fiance for three years? Seal the deal already.

AJ Hellraiser
01-18-2007, 01:07 PM
I agree to a certaine extent... For sure, Sox fans defend the SOX far more than others because until we won the series, the SOX had been a team that nobody (local or national) cared about... so, true SOX fans had to defend them to everyone everywhere....

I don't know so much about other characteristics you bring up, other than maybe the toughness factor... SOX fans tend to be tough guys, always looking to start a fight if necessary...

One thing is for sure though, SOX fans do tend to gravitate toward one another and once they realize someone else is a SOX fan there is a great amount of respect that comes along with that...

soxstarter
01-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I have only been a Sox (and a baseball fan) for about five years now but I can say that I do like the way most all Sox fans, though sticking with their team, are also not afraid to voice their dissatisfaction when the team deserves it.

That rather than the euphemistic attitude of "they'll win the series next year" that we hear from some team fans who do not have the talent or drive on their team to back that statement up.

NardiWasHere
01-18-2007, 03:23 PM
In my hometown we have two high-schools and its amazing how easily you can pick out the difference between the two, even if you didn't go there, there's no denying the split between the two.

Let's go Trojans

Railsplitter
01-18-2007, 04:26 PM
We go against the grain.

I'm a Bears fan, but the Cowboys, and not the Packers are my pet NFL hate.

Jose.Contreras
01-18-2007, 06:03 PM

WOW. You just described me. It's true. You are correct. Seriously, this IS me.

veeter
01-18-2007, 06:13 PM
I know intelligent cub fans and dumb cub fans. Their common denominator is, none of them know baseball. I actually work with a cub fan that, when hearing of the Crede trade rumors, said, "I think Crede is a pretty good ball player, why would they want to trade him?" I just looked at him and said, "it's too complicated for you to understand."

aryzner
01-18-2007, 09:29 PM
For me personally I always find that most Cub fans just say they're fans and don't actually know their team much at all. That and they can't talk baseball too well.

There are exceptions to the rule, though. Like for instance, my friend's dad (who's in his 50s) is a huge huge Cubs fan. Die hard since the day he was born. The man knows the team and knows much of the team's history. Also he's not a Cub fan who will give me crap for being a Sox fan. He knows baseball, he respects baseball, and he will even talk about the Sox legitimately as a fan who respects baseball. He's an awesome guy to have a baseball conversation with and I wish more Cub fans were like that.

CubsfansareDRUNK
01-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I know some cub fans who are really DRUNK.

But seriously, I do know alot of idiot say-they're-diehard cub fans, some relatively smart cub fans who still bash me and the sox whenever possible, and one cub fan who knows alot about baseball, respects the sox (doesnt bash em), and keeps to himself. I wish I knew more cub fans who fit in the latter. Most cub fans really want to start **** with me, and won't listen to any valid points I have to say. I usually just end the arguments with "At the End of the day, the only thing that matters is the Sox win and the cubs don't." That usually shuts em up for a few seconds until they go back into the usual "We have better attendace, don't go to the southside or else you'll get shot" crap.

Get back to the original topic, I also know a few sox fans who are jackasses, but most I know are very cool, popular, and outspoken. I definitely fit the weird, acts 10 years younger than his age, but smart baseball/sox fanatic fan persona. Most people would consider me quiet, but once you get to know me i'm really outgoing. For Instance, i'm a shouter. I really am. At sox games, I shout so loud I get looks from the people sitting around me. I also get some laughs when I think of clever heckles.

tony1972
01-18-2007, 10:07 PM
I know some cub fans who are really DRUNK.

But seriously, I do know alot of idiot say-they're-diehard cub fans, some relatively smart cub fans who still bash me and the sox whenever possible, and one cub fan who knows alot about baseball, respects the sox (doesnt bash em), and keeps to himself. I wish I knew more cub fans who fit in the latter. Most cub fans really want to start **** with me, and won't listen to any valid points I have to say. I usually just end the arguments with "At the End of the day, the only thing that matters is the Sox win and the cubs don't." That usually shuts em up for a few seconds until they go back into the usual "We have better attendace, don't go to the southside or else you'll get shot" crap.

Get back to the original topic, I also know a few sox fans who are jackasses, but most I know are very cool, popular, and outspoken. I definitely fit the weird, acts 10 years younger than his age, but smart baseball/sox fanatic fan persona. Most people would consider me quiet, but once you get to know me i'm really outgoing. For Instance, i'm a shouter. I really am. At sox games, I shout so loud I get looks from the people sitting around me. I also get some laughs when I think of clever heckles.

I don't really like to get into the Cubs Fans/Sox Fans debate since my brother is a Cubs Fan and we are otherwise the same personality.....but it does seem like you really can't kid around with Cubs Fans as you can with a Sox fans.....they seem more uptight and standoffish (at least in my office)...However- maybe if I was a Cubs fan it would be the opposite..so who knows?)...

ChiSoxFan7
01-19-2007, 05:54 PM
It's real easy.

High IQ=Sox fan.
Low IQ=all other teams.

sums it up!

Save McCuddy's
01-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I don't really like to get into the Cubs Fans/Sox Fans debate since my brother is a Cubs Fan and we are otherwise the same personality.....but it does seem like you really can't kid around with Cubs Fans as you can with a Sox fans.....they seem more uptight and standoffish (at least in my office)...However- maybe if I was a Cubs fan it would be the opposite..so who knows?)...

I bought a shirt during the '83 playoffs that read: "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother who's a Cubs fan."

FedEx227
01-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Let's go Trojans

Hell yeah!
http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/127158/2/istockphoto_127158_victory.jpg

Brian26
01-19-2007, 09:11 PM

Kudos on the Tom Brookens reference. Haven't heard that name in 15 years.

ViPeRx007
01-19-2007, 11:48 PM
So basically what I'm gathering from this is that mentioning you are a Sox fan is a valid entry on your Resume and may even aid you in landing your desired job?

NICE!

WhiteSox5187
01-20-2007, 06:14 AM
I know intelligent cub fans and dumb cub fans. Their common denominator is, none of them know baseball. I actually work with a cub fan that, when hearing of the Crede trade rumors, said, "I think Crede is a pretty good ball player, why would they want to trade him?" I just looked at him and said, "it's too complicated for you to understand."
I also know a lot of dumb Sox fans...a LOT of dumb Sox fans. But the smart Sox fans I know are usually smarter than the smart Cub fans.

Jurr
01-20-2007, 11:49 AM
I remember it oh so clearly. My girlfriend and I were at Cubby Bear, as she had never been. We had been at two Sox games in a row vs. the Dodgers, one of which was the Pierzynski walk-off. The Sunday nighter was the ESPN game. So, it's Monday, and we're talking about how exciting the Sox have been playing. I'm talking to her about situational hitting, and how well the Sox had been doing.

A Cubs fan sitting at the bar couldn't help himself. He says, "You want to see situational hitting, watch David Ortiz. That man has so many walk-offs it's crazy."

An astute observation. Are you kidding me?
I said, "He's good in the clutch, but we're kinda talking about knowing when to get guys over, how to hit to the opposite side, etc."

He says, "That crap won't win games, though."

I just looked at Jen and said, "That's why"......the implication being that Cubs fans have no friggin' clue about anything besides Sammy Sosa hopping out of the plate.

kevin57
01-20-2007, 12:41 PM
Our "bond" as Sox fans comes from our minority and often-disrespected status. It is true that once you meet with a fellow Sox fan, conversation is quick, easy, fun, and fraternal (just don't bring up Reinsdorf).

Gregory Pratt
01-20-2007, 02:49 PM
I bought a shirt during the '83 playoffs that read: "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother who's a Cubs fan."

Charming.

Jacob Nelson Fox
01-21-2007, 10:53 AM
This has always been a fascinating topic to me. Many of the key points have been described in this thread. I really agree it cuts across demographics. I think it is much more about an attitude or an approach to life that basically values substance over style.