PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Sweeney Interview

JermaineDye05
01-17-2007, 05:33 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else and fealt that some would be interested

Ryan's interview should be the 3rd one down on the right.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/events/rcd/y2007/index.jsp

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 05:56 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere else and fealt that some would be interested

Ryan's interview should be the 3rd one down on the right.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/milb/events/rcd/y2007/index.jsp

I didn't realize he got some letters from colleges (not sure if they were D-1) about playing basketball. He is a pretty good "all-around" athlete, he seems a lot more natural than Borchard or Fields, just the way he looks, the vibe you get from him...that he's a "player" and a winner, and you can throw out the stats to a large degree with him.

rdivaldi
01-17-2007, 09:11 PM
you can throw out the stats to a large degree with him.

Heck, I think the stats are pretty impressive since he's been playing mostly against guys 3- 4 years older than him at every level.

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
Heck, I think the stats are pretty impressive since he's been playing mostly against guys 3- 4 years older than him at every level.

we know he can hit for average....the only question is the power numbers, let's hope they're closer to palmeiro than grace's (without the roids)

Daver
01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
we know he can hit for average....the only question is the power numbers, let's hope they're closer to palmeiro than grace's (without the roids)

I doubt Sweeney will ever hit for much in the way of power, more a spray hitter with gap power.

sox1970
01-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I doubt Sweeney will ever hit for much in the way of power, more a spray hitter with gap power.

He's got a pretty big frame, and he's only 22 next month. I think he'll generally be a singles and doubles hitter, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was a 20-25 homer guy down the road.

Frater Perdurabo
01-17-2007, 10:25 PM

Hence the John Olerud comparisons that some have predicted as possible for Sweeney?

CashMan
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Can he not be a leadoff hitter?

caulfield12
01-18-2007, 05:37 AM
Maybe....but he's more of a 15-18 steals type of guy, with the Sox, he's either a 2 or a 7-8-9 to start out his career. He's not impatient, but he's not going to have a really good OBP to start out with either, not high enough to bat him in that position. OG usually doesn't like to put that much pressure on rookies and young players out of the box.

He's more of an athlete than Olerud. Of course, Olerud was a good athlete too, but he was kind of stiff and robotic, the way he played...emotionless. Sweeney is just a baseball player, but he seems to do things more effortlessly. Now, he's not going to remind you of Devon White...he doesn't glide around out there, but he's a natural IMO, moreso than Anderson or Young, who are athletes playing baseball moreso.

Randar68
01-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Hence the John Olerud comparisons that some have predicted as possible for Sweeney?

Yeah, I still think there is potential there for 20-30 HR's playing in USCF.

He is a very skilled hitter and can use the whole field. That plays against him at times as he'll take outside pitches he should be letting go and taking them to left field. If he alters his approach to be more selective and identify pitches to drive, he has very nice power. Have seen him launch a few (not Borchard-esque, but still) and I think his approach is the thing that holds that power back.

rdivaldi
01-23-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah, I still think there is potential there for 20-30 HR's playing in USCF.

He is a very skilled hitter and can use the whole field. That plays against him at times as he'll take outside pitches he should be letting go and taking them to left field. If he alters his approach to be more selective and identify pitches to drive, he has very nice power. Have seen him launch a few (not Borchard-esque, but still) and I think his approach is the thing that holds that power back.

Yep, he has the frame, you'll never mistake Ryan for McCarthy.

caulfield12
01-24-2007, 05:12 PM
Dave McCarthy???

rdivaldi
01-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Dave McCarthy???

Fingernails on a blackboard...