PDA

View Full Version : Crede's back

Whitesox029
01-17-2007, 12:14 PM
As an offshoot from the Crede-signing thread...
Has anyone heard anything specific about Crede's back? Today's article only mentioned very briefly that he decided against surgery. Frankly, it worries me a bit, but I don't know much about these things...is it possible that he could play a whole season (or more) without missing an extended period, just as a result of going easy on the back in the offseason? Or is he ultimately going to need surgery to fix the problem, and he's just putting it off?

*edit: Mods, I JUST realized the title of this thread is very ambiguous, and could mean "Crede is back," which we already have a huge thread for. Could you change it to something that would clarify? Maybe "Crede's sore back" ?

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
As an offshoot from the Crede-signing thread...
Has anyone heard anything specific about Crede's back? Today's article only mentioned very briefly that he decided against surgery. Frankly, it worries me a bit, but I don't know much about these things...is it possible that he could play a whole season (or more) without missing an extended period, just as a result of going easy on the back in the offseason? Or is he ultimately going to need surgery to fix the problem, and he's just putting it off?

Back surgery is the last option you want to take. It's not an automatic cure, there's a fear he might never be the same if he has to have the surgery. Whenever you start talking about herniated discs and "fusing" anything together, it's not conducive to being a big league ballplayer.

It might be the death of Tiger Woods, because players Thome and Mike Sweeney have such violent swings, it does cause back trauma over accumulated time and repetitive motion.

WhiteSox5187
01-17-2007, 12:31 PM
He didn't have surgery but he did have some sort of procedure that a couple of other guys have used. I think Sandy Alomar had it after the '97 season.

the gooch
01-17-2007, 12:54 PM
it has been said repeatedly from both sides that if Crede does proper exercises his back could be just fine without surgery. That's what he chose and the Sox, including Herm Schneider, have said they are fine with that decision.

RowanDye
01-17-2007, 12:55 PM
He didn't have surgery but he did have some sort of procedure that a couple of other guys have used. I think Sandy Alomar had it after the '97 season.

From what I know, Crede did not have the microsurgery that Alomar and many others have had. Crede opted for a "6-8 week intensive rehab program".

This article is old but it has a lot of good info from Herm Schneider:

link (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20061109&content_id=1738191&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

Whitesox029
01-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Back surgery is the last option you want to take. It's not an automatic cure, there's a fear he might never be the same if he has to have the surgery. Whenever you start talking about herniated discs and "fusing" anything together, it's not conducive to being a big league ballplayer.

It might be the death of Tiger Woods, because players Thome and Mike Sweeney have such violent swings, it does cause back trauma over accumulated time and repetitive motion.
Ah, see that's what I thought. If it were an automatic cure, more guys would probably do it. Tiger Woods can probably still survive on the PGA tour (though he won't win as much) by being such a great putter, but for a baseball player I can see how that would really ruin a guy's ability as a player.

nasox
01-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Great title. I thought this was about Crede being back this year. :gulp:

esbrechtel
01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
i also thought the title was clever

Whitesox029
01-17-2007, 06:39 PM

i also thought the title was clever
:D::D:
If you read my edit in the first post, it was a mistake and I tried to get it changed, but apparently it's clever. Then again, I'm sure it got a lot more views as a result of everyone wanting to be the first one to link me to the original thread about Crede signing.

RockyMtnSoxFan
01-17-2007, 06:58 PM
it has been said repeatedly from both sides that if Crede does proper exercises his back could be just fine without surgery. That's what he chose and the Sox, including Herm Schneider, have said they are fine with that decision.

Isn't this what Hermanson tried last year? I don't know the differences between their injuries, but I know it didn't work out so well in his case.

01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
When not employed in my day job as the White Sox amateur GM, I run a program for chronic pain patients, so I can confirm what the previous post said about the value of surgery vs. rehab. Unless you have a flaming herniated disk, your odds of improvement are no better with surgery than with a solid exercise program to take pressure off the spine, coupled wth appropriate medication, good body mechanics, and consistent use of psychological pain management techniques. In fact, a conservative approach may have better long-term odds since you don't have the surgical risks.

Obviously, Crede does not have a major disk herniation, because he couldn't play baseball at all if he did. His approach to his back is just what any well-read doctor would recommend he do. Besides, a two level fusion would cause some loss of rotation in the torso, which would probably rob him of a little power at the plate.

In short, surgery would neither reduce his risk of injury, nor improve his performance, and those who push it, while well meaning, just don't know the medical literature.

feistyboy27
01-17-2007, 09:31 PM
I am glad he is back and signed for his final year with the White Sox. Josh Fields should not be just handed the 3rd baseman starting position yet. Signing Crede will force Fields to consolidate the 3rd baseman position in spring training with a strong training camp. If Fields has a bad spring training camp and Crede has a great one Crede could upset Fields and keep his starting 3rd baseman position. If Fields does not falter in training camp Crede will still be a great influence around the team, he is well liked and as a utility player will be useful.

tick53
01-18-2007, 12:01 PM

Me too!:smile:

Corlose 15
01-18-2007, 12:08 PM
When not employed in my day job as the White Sox amateur GM, I run a program for chronic pain patients, so I can confirm what the previous post said about the value of surgery vs. rehab. Unless you have a flaming herniated disk, your odds of improvement are no better with surgery than with a solid exercise program to take pressure off the spine, coupled wth appropriate medication, good body mechanics, and consistent use of psychological pain management techniques. In fact, a conservative approach may have better long-term odds since you don't have the surgical risks.

Obviously, Crede does not have a major disk herniation, because he couldn't play baseball at all if he did. His approach to his back is just what any well-read doctor would recommend he do. Besides, a two level fusion would cause some loss of rotation in the torso, which would probably rob him of a little power at the plate.

In short, surgery would neither reduce his risk of injury, nor improve his performance, and those who push it, while well meaning, just don't know the medical literature.

THANK YOU!! I don't know where all these experts are coming from saying that the Sox are pissed that he didn't get the surgery and he needs the surgery or his back is going to fall apart but everything I've read has been to the contrary.

Also, If you think about it, probably the last thing you want to do is take a scalpel to your vertebrae.

ode to veeck
01-18-2007, 01:02 PM
For me, in addition to the exercises, regular visits to a decent chiropractor really helps my critical couple of problem points in my back. However, spending more than 4 hours on a tennis court at a time tends to temporarily set me back.