PDA

View Full Version : Sham-ME* close to signing with the Rangers. :chunks:

Rockabilly
01-15-2007, 09:42 PM
ARLINGTON -- The Rangers worked out free agent outfielder Sammy Sosa on Monday at Ameriquest Field in Arlington.
Sosa also met with general manager Jon Daniels over dinner Monday night.

Source MLB.COM

DumpJerry
01-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Poor Brandon. We need to buy him a drink.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Not a surprise that Sosa wants to play in one of the easiest parks to hit HR's in.

Frater Perdurabo
01-15-2007, 10:03 PM
The Rangers are rather thin at DH. I don't think Sosa would help them much, although they do have a history of tolerating roiders - Palmiero, Canseco, etc.

Did the dinner include Filntstone Vitamins?

itsnotrequired
01-15-2007, 10:06 PM
The Rangers are rather thin at DH. I don't think Sosa would help them much, although they do have a history of tolerating roiders - Palmiero, Canseco, etc.

Did the dinner include Filntstone Vitamins?

Eh, offer an incentive deal. Probably can't hurt. He had too much pride to accept the offer from the Nationals in 2006. Maybe a year off without a million dollar paycheck changed his mind.:redneck

UserNameBlank
01-15-2007, 10:09 PM
So they trade Kevin Mench for Lee who they knew was going to bolt for FA just to replace him with Sammy Sosa? Wow. Just another move to tack onto a growing list of boneheaded moves (Lee trade, Young and Gonzalez for essentially Otsuka).

Frater Perdurabo
01-15-2007, 10:19 PM
So they trade Kevin Mench for Lee who they knew was going to bolt for FA just to replace him with Sammy Sosa? Wow. Just another move to tack onto a growing list of boneheaded moves (Lee trade, Young and Gonzalez for essentially Otsuka).

They also traded away Travis Hafner in December 2002.

FarWestChicago
01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
The Rangers are rather thin at DH. I don't think Sosa would help them much, although they do have a history of tolerating roiders - Palmiero, Canseco, etc.Juan Gone, Ivan Roidriguez, etc. Only the roidin' A's can rival the Rangers in the annals of chemistry in MLB.

santo=dorf
01-15-2007, 10:57 PM
Juan Gone, Ivan Roidriguez, etc. Only the roidin' A's can rival the Rangers in the annals of chemistry in MLB.
How can you forget the Giants?!?!?

Barry Bonds alone makes up for 10 juicers. Marvin Benard, Armando Rios and Benito Santiago were also on the Balco list.

FarWestChicago
01-15-2007, 11:02 PM

Barry Bonds alone makes up for 10 juicers. Marvin Benard, Armando Rios and Benito Santiago were also on the Balco list.Amateurs. The A's are like Athens and the Rangers are like Rome. The Giants? Maybe Newark, NJ or something. :redneck

veeter
01-15-2007, 11:06 PM
I hope they put him on the big league club. That way he can finish his, already sham of a career, on an even more embarrassing note.

Rockabilly
01-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Amateurs. The A's are like Athens and the Rangers are like Rome. The Giants? Maybe Newark, NJ or something. :redneck

Don't forgot about Balt. Rafy, Sosa, Brady Anderson and Tejada

QCIASOXFAN
01-15-2007, 11:10 PM
Juan Gone, Ivan Roidriguez, etc. Only the roidin' A's can rival the Rangers in the annals of chemistry in MLB.
Good point. I read "Juiced" a few years ago :anon: and Canseco basically lays a road map as he took roids from the A's to Texas. About 2 months after I finished the book Palmeiro got popped.

Brian26
01-15-2007, 11:16 PM

Don't forgot about Balt. Rafy, Sosa, Brady Anderson and Tejada

Don't forget that both Palmeiro and Canseco played with Texas.

UserNameBlank
01-15-2007, 11:23 PM
They also traded away Travis Hafner in December 2002.

Yeah that was one of their worst moves ever, but at least Daniels can't be blamed for that one.

Just think if they had Hafner, Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, and Mench/Cordero right now. They'd be able to trade for anyone they wanted.

DSpivack
01-16-2007, 12:07 AM
Yeah that was one of their worst moves ever, but at least Daniels can't be blamed for that one.

Just think if they had Hafner, Chris Young, Adrian Gonzalez, and Mench/Cordero right now. They'd be able to trade for anyone they wanted.

Well, they have Teixeira, so would have to trade Hafner, Gonzalez, or Teixeira.

munchman33
01-16-2007, 12:20 AM

Teixeira was originally a 3B. Perhaps they don't switch him in that scenerio and get rid of Hank Blalock.

ondafarm
01-16-2007, 03:59 AM
Say it isn't so.

mccoydp
01-16-2007, 10:57 AM
The Giants? Maybe Newark, NJ or something. :redneck

Nah, maybe more like Des Moines, Iowa. :cool:

HotelWhiteSox
01-16-2007, 10:50 PM
They've now invited him to spring training and offered him a minor league contract

caulfield12
01-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Barry Bonds alone makes up for 10 juicers. Marvin Benard, Armando Rios and Benito Santiago were also on the Balco list.

Santiago looked like he was dying of ebola his law few seasons...he wasn't nearly as strong as he used to look. Strange.

santo=dorf
01-16-2007, 10:58 PM

Why is that?

They didn't get Gonzalez until they traded Ugueth "Scarface" Urbina to the Marlins in 2003, 7 months after they traded away Hafner.

They also traded Hafner and Myette for Einar "freaking" Diaz and Ryan Drese. Horrible trade.

WizardsofOzzie
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
They've now invited him to spring training and offered him a minor league contract
I wonder if he'll be "too proud" to take this offer :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
01-17-2007, 07:53 AM

Even if Tex couldn't play third, Hafner could DH and Gonzalez could have played left. If you have three hitters like that, you find a way to make it work, or you trade one for pitching.

WhiteSox5187
01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
I wonder if he'll be "too proud" to take this offer :rolleyes:
I doubt it...I hope he makes it, I can't wait 'til he comes to Chicago so we can give him a proper welcome.

tstrike2000
01-17-2007, 09:58 AM
I don't wish bad upon anyone, but I wish Sosa would just stay retired, have a coke and smile and relax the rest of his life in the Dominican. That way nobody has to hear about him anymore until he doesn't get enough votes in his first year of eligibility for the HOF.

cheeses_h_rice
01-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Ugh (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-0701170172jan17,1,4779512.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed).

I thought the world was rid of this scourge.

Here's the biggest pile of **** quote:

Sosa appears to have impressed everyone with his conditioning and--here's the shocker--his humility.A tiger can't change his stripes. A humble Sham-ME*? Just wait 'til the Rangers start the year at .400 and the finger pointing begins. But really, all Sham-ME* cares about is hitting 600 homers.

[edit: mods, didn't see other thread in TB...please merge. It's just instinct to put all stories about this fraud in WTS.]

mccoydp
01-17-2007, 11:14 AM
My apologies (Cheeses et. al.), but I have to use this:

:chunks

downstairs
01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I don't wish bad upon anyone, but I wish Sosa would just stay retired, have a coke and smile and relax the rest of his life in the Dominican. That way nobody has to hear about him anymore until he doesn't get enough votes in his first year of eligibility for the HOF.

Could it be that he just wants to get into one game so his HOF voting comes up 2 years later? Maybe keep trying to play a bit here and there until the whole steroid/HOF thing becomes less big news?

tstrike2000
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Could it be that he just wants to get into one game so his HOF voting comes up 2 years later? Maybe keep trying to play a bit here and there until the whole steroid/HOF thing becomes less big news?

Very valid possibilities. It's always a combination of things it seems, personal motives (HOF), pride, boredom, media attention/the need to have something to prove.

HotelWhiteSox
01-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Looks like they both agreed on a deal now http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070117&content_id=1780982&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp Expected to be .5 mill minor league deal with a lot of incentives.

Well, we did need something to replace Showalter with as a reason to hate the Rangers.

itsnotrequired
01-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Looks like they both agreed on a deal now http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070117&content_id=1780982&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp Expected to be .5 mill minor league deal with a lot of incentives.

Well, we did need something to replace Showalter with as a reason to hate the Rangers.

The signing of Sosa has no impact on my feelings toward the Rangers.

thomas35forever
01-18-2007, 11:22 AM
Well, well, well. So-so is returning to the land of steroid abusers and cheaters. Now, he can get the full experience.

VenturaFan23
01-18-2007, 12:10 PM

Isn't that the EXACT same contract the Nationals offered him last year that he turned down? :?: What happened to his pride?

itsnotrequired
01-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Isn't that the EXACT same contract the Nationals offered him last year that he turned down? :?: What happened to his pride?

The pile of money he sleeps on must be getting a little small...

cheeses_h_rice
01-18-2007, 01:34 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2006-11/26371260.jpg

[Caption: Sammy Sosa points to the part of his body most diminished by his rumored steroid use.]

SOXPHILE
01-18-2007, 01:49 PM
Maybe, since Texas allows open containers of alcohol in a car, Sammy might think the laws are also more leniant with regards to, oh, using such a container-(like a rum bottle)-to, oh, I don't know, strike one's spouse ?