PDA

View Full Version : Flubs looking to sign Erstad, according to Rosenthal

Arkham
01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6375674

I have no idea why. Because hitting is overrated?

SABRSox
01-16-2007, 11:42 PM
He's the poor man's Mark Grace.

HotelWhiteSox
01-16-2007, 11:47 PM
or the rich man's Gload

AJ Hellraiser
01-17-2007, 12:57 AM
I actually think this is a decent move for them... sure he can't hit anymore, but they have enough of that... he gives them the CF they lack, allowing Soriano to move to RF and them to trade Jock Jones... he also would provide a toughness and character to a clubhouse that has lacked that the last few seasons under Dusty Baker

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 03:39 AM
He's the poor man's Mark Grace.

I prefer the rich mans' Jeremy Reed or the poor man's Mark Kotsay.

Sargeant79
01-17-2007, 09:16 AM
I actually think this is a decent move for them... sure he can't hit anymore, but they have enough of that... he gives them the CF they lack, allowing Soriano to move to RF and them to trade Jock Jones... he also would provide a toughness and character to a clubhouse that has lacked that the last few seasons under Dusty Baker

They could do worse. The problem from their standpoint is the injury risk. If they sign him, they are relying on him to be in CF. If/when he gets hurt, they will be scrambling to find a replacement. Either they'll bring up Pie prematurely or move Soriano over (which would probably result in a hilarious parade of defensive bloopers for me to enjoy on the news every night). But if he is healthy, he can get the job done for a year even if he doesn't hit much.

Zisk77
01-17-2007, 09:20 AM
sCrubs pitchers have to love all the hits that the outfield of soriano, erstad, and murton/ward would be taking away :?: .

thedudeabides
01-17-2007, 09:46 AM

Here we go with Erstad's 'toughness' again. Next thing I'll here about his football mentality. He was a punter!!!

bigredrudy
01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
I think the Sox and Cubs may be trying to sign Erstad

esbrechtel
01-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I think the Sox and Cubs may be trying to sign Erstad

source?

kittle42
01-17-2007, 02:56 PM
source?

I think the source is "I think."

Jerko
01-17-2007, 03:02 PM
source?

Well, his cousin either overheard it at the airport, or it's in a wet soggy newspaper in his buddy's truck.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-17-2007, 03:11 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6375674

I have no idea why. Because hitting is overrated?

Because he is injury prone.

Brian26
01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
I think the source is "I think."

LOL. :D:

soxwon
01-17-2007, 10:43 PM
jones to the white sox? maybe?

Craig Grebeck
01-17-2007, 11:44 PM
You can never have enough hitting, and they already have one horrid player in Izturis.

veeter
01-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I think the Sox and Cubs may be trying to sign ErstadThis makes total sense for the Sox. Kenny has always loved the guy.

mshake10
01-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Wow, a lot of hate for a player that the Sox apparently just signed.

WizardsofOzzie
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Everyone has their own opinion

skobabe8
01-23-2007, 06:52 PM
It is kinda funny how awesome this guy has gotten versus when the Cubs were interested.

Arkham
01-24-2007, 12:49 PM
I'll go on record as saying I still think Erstad's horrible at this point in his career. His bat's about as effective as Terrence Long's, and every injury (all 236 of them) have sapped his defensive capabilities as well. I think he's coasting on reputation at this point, and I'd much rather see him in blue than black and white.

That said, it's a fair point that's been brought up in other topics, specifically what were our options? I don't know, but I still expect very little out of Darin Erstad.

White Sox Randy
01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
I'll go on record as saying I still think Erstad's horrible at this point in his career. His bat's about as effective as Terrence Long's, and every injury (all 236 of them) have sapped his defensive capabilities as well. I think he's coasting on reputation at this point, and I'd much rather see him in blue than black and white.

That said, it's a fair point that's been brought up in other topics, specifically what were our options? I don't know, but I still expect very little out of Darin Erstad.

Agreed. Low OBP and no power. Can't run or play defense the way he used to. Will he even pass the physical? Atleast the Sox aren't paying him anything so there's nothing to lose.

Right now, I'd rather have Jones in left. Atleast he can hit.

crazyozzie02
01-24-2007, 03:54 PM

wasnt Dye an often-injured player when we got him? now look where hes at. This is a low-payout high-reward chance. give the guy a chance

JermaineDye05
01-24-2007, 03:58 PM
wasnt Dye an often-injured player when we got him? now look where hes at. This is a low-payout high-reward chance. give the guy a chance

yeah JD was I think a lot of people forget a key part of the sox Dr. Pain, Herm Schneider. Now I know he's not a miracle worker but he's been very good at being able to keep our players healthy.

crazyozzie02
01-24-2007, 04:13 PM
yeah JD was I think a lot of people forget a key part of the sox Dr. Pain, Herm Schneider. Now I know he's not a miracle worker but he's been very good at being able to keep our players healthy.

Thank you. At least someone agrees with me

I want Mags back
01-24-2007, 05:25 PM
It is kinda funny how awesome this guy has gotten versus when the Cubs were interested.

:D:

DumpJerry
01-24-2007, 05:36 PM
Welcome to WSI, Mshake. This is the place where everyone had an opinion, is a medical doctor (orthopedist, usually) and is not shy about sharing their opinions.

Arkham
01-24-2007, 06:24 PM

Dye was a 30 year-old slugger with a history of mashing whose injuries were freak accidents (like fouling a pitch off his leg in the ALDS or wrenching a shoulder trying to take out Bengie Molina in a play at the plate). Erstad is 33 this year and hasn't had a good year at the plate since 2000. His injuries have recurred, and last year took him out of all but 40 games. Angel fans weren't particularly upset by these injuries, as it meant more at-bats for players who could actually hit.

"High-reward" in Darin Erstad's case would be further recurrence of his injuries.

JermaineDye05
01-24-2007, 07:24 PM
I honestly don't see why everyone is so down on Erstad, he's a left handed bat and can play the outfield a lot better then Mack. What's the worst that could happen, he could get injured and then we go with Sweeney or Fields or whoever else we would have gone with without the signing.

mshake10
01-24-2007, 07:35 PM
Welcome to WSI, Mshake. This is the place where everyone had an opinion, is a medical doctor (orthopedist, usually) and is not shy about sharing their opinions.
I was mainly looking at the hypocriticy involved here (Cubs=bad signing, Sox=good signing), but the thread author has stood his ground with him sigining with the Sox, so no issue there.

itsnotrequired
01-24-2007, 07:39 PM

We also all stay at a Holiday Inn Express every night.:D:

Oldfellah
01-24-2007, 09:02 PM
(Cubs=bad signing, Sox=good signing)

Don'tcha know peeps play better in black & white!!!:dtroll:

mshake10
01-24-2007, 09:39 PM
In that case, just remember that "hitting is overrated."

DumpJerry
01-24-2007, 11:54 PM
I was mainly looking at the hypocriticy involved here (Cubs=bad signing, Sox=good signing), but the thread author has stood his ground with him sigining with the Sox, so no issue there.
What hypocrisy? Cubs=bad signing because we need him in case Pods hurts himself. Sox=good signing because the Cubs did not sign him so we can when Pods hurts himself.

Arkham
01-25-2007, 03:06 AM

Things actually seem fairly consistent to me. Go back to the first page, and you'll see as many people disagreeing with me about Erstad as agreeing (if not more). They called him a Grinder, and a good signing that would provide the Losers with "toughness and character", (to which my response remains, "Yes, but he still can't hit!") One guy liked him as a way to keep Soriano in the corner and be a placeholder in center until Pie is ready to be brought up. Not exactly applicable to the Sox, though, especially since they're not expected to compete, we are. Sub-par hitters in the batting order put a serious dent it what is otherwise a great lineup. (Of course if you ask me, Podsednik's not all that much better, which is another opinion that puts me in the minority...)

maurice
01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
I don't think anybody is excited by the prospect of Erstad starting 150+ games for us . . . but Erstad wasn't signed to start in CF (Cubs) and wasn't signed to start in RF (Dye). He was signed to take a bench spot that otherwise would have been filled by the likes of Terrero. He also makes a pretty solid defensive replacement in LF and 1B.

To recap:
- signing Erstad to start every day would be a bad move
- signing Erstad as a backup OF/1B is a pretty good move