PDA

View Full Version : Zambrano asks for $15.5 mil in 6th year...

caulfield12
01-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Meanwhile, Poor Mark Prior is getting his salary cut...lol! Where is the justice? At least they have some money now for extra towels. Oops, they spent all of that on Soriano and mediocre rotation fillers and a utility player.

Maybe the White Sox could actually get some production out of Murton.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-070116cubsohman,1,4799304.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

infohawk
01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Sorry, you lost me with the Murton comment. He wasn't mentioned in the article. What do you mean?

caulfield12
01-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry, you lost me with the Murton comment. He wasn't mentioned in the article. What do you mean?

The Cubs have no idea what to do with, and how to nurture, young talent. He seems like he has no future with the Cubs, especially if they end up keeping Jacque Jones...might as well give him to us so he can be a real player.

QCIASOXFAN
01-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Prior should be lucky hes getting that. He will be laid up by June.

AJ Hellraiser
01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Zambrano is going to make record-breaking money as long as he stays healthy this season and posts his usual numbers... one of the cubs' marketing slogans should be: "2007: the carlos zambrano farewell tour"

infohawk
01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
The Cubs have no idea what to do with, and how to nurture, young talent. He seems like he has no future with the Cubs, especially if they end up keeping Jacque Jones...might as well give him to us so he can be a real player.
Ah, gotcha! You're probably right.

WizardsofOzzie
01-16-2007, 10:21 PM
:rolling: :rolling: Good luck pulling that money out of your ass Hendry, now that you've wasted it on Ted Lilly, Jason Marquis, and Soriano. They are going to have the worst team ERA we've seen in quite sometime

JB98
01-16-2007, 10:23 PM

They're going to deal Jacque Jones and sign Cliff Floyd. That will make their team even crappier than it already is.

Banix12
01-16-2007, 11:09 PM
He deserves every cent he is asking for. If the cubs are willing to pay a mediocre scrub like Lilly $10 million a year they had better be prepared to pay through the nose for a legitimate ace like Zambrano.

munchman33
01-16-2007, 11:26 PM
They're going to deal Jacque Jones and sign Cliff Floyd. That will make their team even crappier than it already is.

not to mention jones is a steal at that salary.

Scottiehaswheels
01-17-2007, 12:06 AM
He deserves every cent he is asking for. If the cubs are willing to pay a mediocre scrub like Lilly $10 million a year they had better be prepared to pay through the nose for a legitimate ace like Zambrano.I thought this exact same thing when I heard it... I'm sorry but you're offering the ace of your staff 1mil more in arb than you are paying Ted Lilly?, thats a serious slap in the face.

StillMissOzzie
01-17-2007, 12:49 AM
I thought this exact same thing when I heard it... I'm sorry but you're offering the ace of your staff 1mil more in arb than you are paying Ted Lilly?, thats a serious slap in the face.

And that is the difference between arbitration eligibility and free agency. Free agent contracts shouldn't come into play. I'm not saying the the Cubs' propensity to squander big $ won't enter the arbitrator's mind, but it might.

Edit: Besides, when you're the only 7th place team in MLB, you HAVE to overpay to bring in a free agent.

SMO
:gulp:

Banix12
01-17-2007, 03:08 AM
I thought this exact same thing when I heard it... I'm sorry but you're offering the ace of your staff 1mil more in arb than you are paying Ted Lilly?, thats a serious slap in the face.

I don't know if it really is a slap in the face since that is a very high number for an arbitration figure and certainly their offer was going to be on the lower spectrum of reasonable. A slap in the face would have been 10 million or below.

If the arbitrator takes the current market into consideration as to what pitchers of his caliber are making then the final figure should certainly be closer to what Zambrano is requesting.

I was actually a bit suprised Zambrano's agent didn't try requesting a larger number to give more room for negotiation.

WhiteSox5187
01-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I despise Zambrano and all that jumping up and down he does on the mound, but he is the Cubs best pitcher and is one of the best pitchers in NL. I read that he wants a six year deal around a hundred million, which seeing as how the Cubs are willing to pay Ted Lilly forty million it would seem that Zambrano is worth one hundred million, but if the Cubs give him that contract, that would mean that over the next six years the Cubs have about four hundred (maybe even five hundred) million tied up in contracts. That means that ticket prices for the Cubs are going to sky rocket and the fact of the matter is THE CUBS ARE STILL NOT THAT GOOD! They're an injury away from being a ninety loss team again.

mccoydp
01-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Zambrano's good, and worth the money.

But, then again, good luck to him in his attempt to get it from the sCrUBS.

AuroraSoxFan
01-17-2007, 08:25 AM
It would be so "Hendryesque" for them to dump all kind of money on guys like Marquis, Lilly, DeRosa, and Soriano and then pinch their pockets on one guy who actually can help get them somewhere. Should be fun watching them mess this up.

soxfan13
01-17-2007, 09:04 AM
I despise Zambrano and all that jumping up and down he does on the mound .

I wont be afraid to admit it. I would love to see him jumping around in a white sox uniform

kittle42
01-17-2007, 09:48 AM
I wont be afraid to admit it. I would love to see him jumping around in a white sox uniform

Me, too. If I could root for Albert Belle, David Wells, and Jose Canseco, I could root for Zambrano and his sky-pointing.

The Bone
01-17-2007, 10:33 AM
The Cubs looks to be in trouble for 2008 already... They already have 80 million tied up in 12 players for '08. If they did sign Zambrano for say $16 mil a season longer term they would have $96 million in payroll and still have twelve roster spots to fill out.

The Immigrant
01-17-2007, 10:42 AM
The Cubs looks to be in trouble for 2008 already... They already have 80 million tied up in 12 players for '08. If they did sign Zambrano for say $16 mil a season longer term they would have $96 million in payroll and still have twelve roster spots to fill out.

The Cubs could increase their ticket prices by 30% and the sheep would still camp out to buy them. Given their revenue base, the Cubs should be able to support a $130 million payroll without too much trouble.

WhiteSox5187
01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Well...yea...it's one thing for a Cub to do it, that's show boating, but when a Sox player does it...

Rocky Soprano
01-17-2007, 11:48 AM
Well...yea...it's one thing for a Cub to do it, that's show boating, but when a Sox player does it...

And which Sox player does it?

chaerulez
01-17-2007, 11:52 AM
not to mention jones is a steal at that salary.

Jones isn't that good. He has poor baseball skills and makes questionable decisions on defense. He has some pop in this bat, but he's a very streaky hitter. And he can't hit left handers at all. He should be platooning with Murton who in his short major league career has killed left handed pitching. Dusty didn't have the guts to sit underperforming veterans to help his team, hopefully Pinella is different.

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 11:54 AM
And which Sox player does it?

Jesus Pena. Jenks can be demonstrative sometimes, but not obnoxiously...I guess it depends on if he's on your team or the opposition. Marte could be annoying from the POV of the opposition as well.

chaerulez
01-17-2007, 11:55 AM

I agree Murton does have the talent to be an everyday player. He might not generate as much power as you want from a corner outfielder, but he's decent on the field and has very good plate patience.

spiffie
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
The Cubs could increase their ticket prices by 30% and the sheep would still camp out to buy them. Given their revenue base, the Cubs should be able to support a $130 million payroll without too much trouble.
I saw an analysis on a Cubs blog once that pretty much showed they would be profitable with a $130 payroll at last year's ticket prices. If they wanted they could pretty much be equal with the Red Sox in terms of payroll.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
I saw an analysis on a Cubs blog once that pretty much showed they would be profitable with a $130 payroll at last year's ticket prices. If they wanted they could pretty much be equal with the Red Sox in terms of payroll.

The difference is Red Sox fans demand winners and won't tolerate much mediocrity. Ticket prices are through the roof in Boston and fans demand a return on their investment. Compare that to Wrigley where the Cubs could field a team of bags of potato chips and they would still pack 'em in so fans could ask each other when Sosa would be batting. TribCo had no incentive to increase payroll.

Whitesox029
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM

I would be pretty happy if the Sox could steal Murton from the Cubs, as long as he didn't cost too much. The guy seems to have a lot of promise as a hitter, probably more than Anderson.

On the other hand, I'm willing to give Anderson another ST and April, maybe May to show that he really is what he was hyped to be. Guys have bad rookie seasons sometimes. For example, Robin Ventura hit .249 with 5 HR and 54 RBIs his first full season (he played 150 games), and then went on to drive in 90 runs or more 7 times, and 100 or more 3 times, including his sophomore season. That's not quite as bad as Anderson, but I'm sure there have been worse.

As to the Cubs, it's going to be a lot of fun watching them finish in 3rd, 15 or so games out this season.

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 12:07 PM
The difference is Red Sox fans demand winners and won't tolerate much mediocrity. Ticket prices are through the roof in Boston and fans demand a return on their investment. Compare that to Wrigley where the Cubs could field a team of bags of potato chips and they would still pack 'em in so fans could ask each other when Sosa would be batting. TribCo had no incentive to increase payroll.

Would it matter if they were "ridged" (like Ruffles) or "flat" potato chips, like Lay's?

Could a team of potato chips, "grinding" together, play a better 3B than Aramis? They could undoubtedly get in front of more balls, just not sure of the throws from deep third.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Would it matter if they were "ridged" (like Ruffles) or "flat" potato chips, like Lay's?

To quote the late Dusty B, ruffled chips weather the sun better than other chips.

HotelWhiteSox
01-17-2007, 12:29 PM
Me, too. If I could root for Albert Belle, David Wells, and Jose Canseco, I could root for Zambrano and his sky-pointing.

http://img111.imageshack.us/img111/122/greatsoxfansog8.jpg

kittle42
01-17-2007, 12:58 PM

Awesome photo. I love doing that when he's on his way to the dugout after getting shelled.

esbrechtel
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
ha i want that photo on my wall....i wouldnt mind getting jones from the flubs...hes always hit well in US cellular field and has alot of experience playing in that crappy ballpark to the north of us...of course for the right price...

skottyj242
01-17-2007, 01:34 PM
I just read in another thread that Zambrano (any Cubs player) is the worst player in the majors. How dare he ask for so much money.

kittle42
01-17-2007, 02:55 PM
I just read in another thread that Zambrano (any Cubs player) is the worst player in the majors. How dare he ask for so much money.

I must find this thread to witness its idiocy firsthand!

WhiteSox5187
01-17-2007, 03:04 PM
I must find this thread to witness its idiocy firsthand!
That MIGHT be something I said...but I hope not. He's a pretty good pitcher. Not the best, but very good.

Jerko
01-17-2007, 03:09 PM
If that photo is from last year, the Sox LOST that game. :o:

The Immigrant
01-17-2007, 03:13 PM
If that photo is from last year, the Sox LOST that game. :o:

Thanks for the reminder :angry:. Cotts blew that game for us in the 7th, IIRC, after we had scored 4 on Zambrano.

Jerko
01-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reminder :angry:. Cotts blew that game for us in the 7th, IIRC, after we had scored 4 on Zambrano.

I just didn't want esbrechtel putting that picture on his wall without reminding him of the sad outcome of said game.

Rocky Soprano
01-17-2007, 03:25 PM
Jesus Pena. Jenks can be demonstrative sometimes, but not obnoxiously...I guess it depends on if he's on your team or the opposition. Marte could be annoying from the POV of the opposition as well.

Jenks likes to show some emotion with a fist pump. Zambrano talks into his glove, points into the sky, and dances around the mound. I don't think any Sox player comes even close to Zambrano.

Now count me in the group that wouldn't mind seeing him pitch for the Sox, based on skill, I still wouldn't like all his antics.

btrain929
01-17-2007, 03:44 PM

thats one of the funniest pics ive ever seen. kudos :supernana:

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 04:32 PM

It was also the Uribe botched double play relay game...right?

We would have swept, I think...or did Gload have an error too? That wouldn't surprise me.

The Immigrant
01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
It was also the Uribe botched double play relay game...right?

Yup, he threw wide and Konerko couldn't come up with it. I believe that put runners on second and third, and then Barrett hit a triple that Anderson probably would've caught (but we had Mack in center that day!). Good times all around that afternoon...

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Yup, he threw wide and Konerko couldn't come up with it. I believe that put runners on second and third, and then Barrett hit a triple that Anderson probably would've caught (but we had Mack in center that day!). Good times all around that afternoon...

Maybe I was confusing the defensive prowess of Mack with Gload. Seems Ross made a big error in a Cubs' game, but nothing beats the Tony Gaffe-anino headlines. Maybe it was a foreshadowing of an even bigger error down the line against us in the playoffs?

The Immigrant
01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Maybe I was confusing the defensive prowess of Mack with Gload. Seems Ross made a big error in a Cubs' game, but nothing beats the Tony Gaffe-anino headlines. Maybe it was a foreshadowing of an even bigger error down the line against us in the playoffs?

I don't remember any critical errors by Ross last season, particularly not against the Cubs. I do remember that Ross legged out that single in the top of the ninth against the Cubs at Wrigley that led to A.J.'s three-run blast. Couple that pinch-hitting feat with his grand slam in Baltimore, and Ross Gload can do no wrong in my book.

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 05:15 PM
I don't remember any critical errors by Ross last season, particularly not against the Cubs. I do remember that Ross legged out that single in the top of the ninth against the Cubs at Wrigley that led to A.J.'s three-run blast. Couple that pinch-hitting feat with his grand slam in Baltimore, and Ross Gload can do no wrong in my book.

Please, no recollections of Timo Perez versus Armando Benitez and K-Rod.

russ99
01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
Jenks likes to show some emotion with a fist pump. Zambrano talks into his glove, points into the sky, and dances around the mound. I don't think any Sox player comes even close to Zambrano.

Now count me in the group that wouldn't mind seeing him pitch for the Sox, based on skill, I still wouldn't like all his antics.

Bobby does show emotion, but it has nothing to do with showing up the other player or Zambozo's other antics on the hill. I want him nowhere near the Sox. Considering the Cubs track record with overpitching their young starters, it's only a matter of time before he joins Wood and Prior on the shelf.

I wonder if the Cubs are being cheap with him because of his immature act... and I wonder if Piniella will put up with that crap next season?

santo=dorf
01-17-2007, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't want to see the Sox sign Zambrano unless it was around $8-9 million a year.

He's terrible in AL parks because his game consists of throwing a bunch of outside fastballs, not getting the call, throwing a hissy fit/kicking the mound, walking/beaning the opposing players to load the bases, strike out the .200 hitting defensive mind catcher batting 8th, having the opposing pitcher strike himself out, doing a backflip off the mound, pointing to the sky after throwing 45 pitches in the first inning.

He can't do that crap in the AL, and the numbers back it up. He fears the DH.

JermaineDye05
01-17-2007, 06:56 PM
If the sox signed any pitcher for a large contract next offseason I'd rather it be Santana then Zambrano. Zambrano is younger, but Santana is established in the AL and he's lefty. I doubt the sox get either anyways. Lets focus on the rest of the 2006/07 offseason and regular season before we start talking about the 07/08 offseason again.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2007, 07:14 PM
If the sox signed any pitcher for a large contract next offseason I'd rather it be Santana then Zambrano. Zambrano is younger, but Santana is established in the AL and he's lefty. I doubt the sox get either anyways. Lets focus on the rest of the 2006/07 offseason and regular season before we start talking about the 07/08 offseason again.

Santana will earn far more money than Zambano. His deal will be bigger than Zito's.

caulfield12
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Santana will earn far more money than Zambano. His deal will be bigger than Zito's.

And it will come after 2008...or an extension from the Twins before then, which is going to be interesting to see if they'll consider ponying up.

ChiSoxLifer
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
And it will come after 2008...or an extension from the Twins before then, which is going to be interesting to see if they'll consider ponying up.

I'm pretty sure they'll pony up. They're putting up a new stadium which will lead to more revenue and higher salaries. Now whether their pony will be bigger than other team's ponies remains to be seen.

areilly
01-17-2007, 08:33 PM

I can't fathom any way Santana won't be the highest-paid pitcher ever, regardless of what uniform he's wearing.

itsnotrequired
01-17-2007, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty sure they'll pony up. They're putting up a new stadium which will lead to more revenue and higher salaries. Now whether their pony will be bigger than other team's ponies remains to be seen.

I'm pretty sure they won't. I mean, they'll throw an offer out there but the Twins just don't have the resources to pay him what he will get on the open market. At current trends, Santana would account for at least a quarter of the entire Twins payroll. Even the dumbest teams out there wouldn't sink that much payroll into a single player.

The Immigrant
01-18-2007, 08:21 AM
I'd chip in 10% of my salary to see Santana pitch for the Sox. I'd throw in 5% just to help some NL team sign him. I'm not even remotely joking about this.

Jerksticks
01-18-2007, 11:20 AM
I'd chip in 10% of my salary to see Santana pitch for the Sox. I'd throw in 5% just to help some NL team sign him. I'm not even remotely joking about this.

except the cubs. Do you think the Cubs have enough money to offer huge contracts to both Zambrano and Santana? It's scary because I honestly don't know what their ceiling is. Offer evidence.

Hitmen77
01-18-2007, 11:25 AM

While I agree the Cubs are a rich team, I'm not so sure they have alot of flexibility left.

If they had alot more money to burn, why didn't they go after Zito or Schmidt for another $5 million/year instead of Lilly?

That's not to say they're out of money, but I have to think that all these huge contracts they handed out could hurt them for a few years down the road unless they do make it to the post season.

spiffie
01-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I wouldn't want to see the Sox sign Zambrano unless it was around $8-9 million a year.

He's terrible in AL parks because his game consists of throwing a bunch of outside fastballs, not getting the call, throwing a hissy fit/kicking the mound, walking/beaning the opposing players to load the bases, strike out the .200 hitting defensive mind catcher batting 8th, having the opposing pitcher strike himself out, doing a backflip off the mound, pointing to the sky after throwing 45 pitches in the first inning.

He can't do that crap in the AL, and the numbers back it up. He fears the DH.
Thus far the numbers do back it up, but to be fair he's pitched less than 35 innings against lineups with the DH. In those 33.2 innings he has 24 ER for a 6.42 ERA.

StillMissOzzie
01-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Maybe it was the 2005 season, but I know that Gload blew an easy pop fly when he was playing RF in one of the Sox/Cubs games.

SMO
:gulp:

Viva Medias B's
01-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Is it me, or does Carlos Zambrano look overweight? They just showed a clip of him, and I didn't know it was him at first!

RadioheadRocks
01-20-2007, 12:45 AM

All true, but you forgot to mention that Zambozo is also a textbook example of "do as I say, not as I do", as he's always the first one to bitch and moan if he thinks someone's showing HIM up (remember the classic quote: Zambrano to Ozzie, "Keep your guy calm").

I rest my case, and unlike some of the sentiment shown in this thread I would NEVER want to see that mother****er in a White Sox uniform.

Mickster
01-20-2007, 09:04 AM
All true, but you forgot to mention that Zambozo is also a textbook example of "do as I say, not as I do", as he's always the first one to bitch and moan if he thinks someone's showing HIM up (remember the classic quote: Zambrano to Ozzie, "Keep your guy calm").

I rest my case, and unlike some of the sentiment shown in this thread I would NEVER want to see that mother****er in a White Sox uniform.

I used to say the same thing about AJ. I hate Zambrano but would hate him less in a White Sox uniform.

Taliesinrk
01-20-2007, 11:10 AM

+2

Taliesinrk
01-20-2007, 11:11 AM
I used to say the same thing about AJ. I hate Zambrano but would hate him less in a White Sox uniform.

that's disappointing because AJ is not even comparable here. AJ is a gamer and wears his heart on his sleeve. Zambrano is a real piece of ****.

AJ was one of the few Twins i liked when he played on that team (i used to live in minneapolis). it disgusts me how his old fans turned their backs on him.

bestkosher
01-22-2007, 02:19 PM
I am not sure if this is the palce of the Score is but, the Zambrano situation is very interesting. Hendry's signing and overpaying for pithcers such as Ted Lilly and Jason Macquis(sp?) may have cost him Zambrano. The market he created since since signing mediocre players to high contracts means that the players left get their salaries elevated. Thusly, Zombrao can ask for 15 million and be in his right mind and the aribtrators will see it that way based off the Cubs spending and the leagues spending on medicore pitchers.

caulfield12
01-22-2007, 04:14 PM
See long thread in "what's the score?"