PDA

View Full Version : Yankee Stadium to host '08 All-Star Game (ESPN report)

Fenway
01-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I can live with this. I certainly don't want them to host a World Series anytime in the next 1000 years. :tongue:

The new Yankee Stadium is scheduled to open in 2009, and old Yankee Stadium closed, 86 years after the ballpark was first built in 1923, and 33 years after the ballpark was remodeled on the same site in 1976. With the All-Star Game slated to be in an AL park in 2008, officials chose Yankee Stadium for the site, believing it to be an appropriate way to usher out the historic building

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2732682&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

thedudeabides
01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
Then the new Yankee Stadium will probably host the 2010 All-Star game.

Fenway
01-16-2007, 11:03 AM

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mets get it in their new park in 2010

downstairs
01-16-2007, 11:05 AM

I thought both were slated to open the same year? (2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citi_Field
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yankee_Stadium

Fenway
01-16-2007, 11:07 AM
I thought both were slated to open the same year? (2009)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citi_Field
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yankee_Stadium

both parks are scheduled to open in 2009.

thomas35forever
01-16-2007, 12:15 PM
If that were the case, I'd lose all faith in MLB's top committee.

PKalltheway
01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Congratulations to the Yankees. Good way to close out a historic ballpark. First ASG since 1977.

UserNameBlank
01-16-2007, 12:58 PM
I really could care less where they hold the AS Game since I don't even watch it, but I guess it is kind of cool to hold one in Yankee Stadium before it is torn down.

Not to go totally off topic, but I think it would be a lot better if the AS Game was held at the end of ST each year with the participants chosen BY MLB -not the fans - based off the previous year's stats and without any of the major drawbacks like a player from each team must represent. It would be cool to see the AL Cy Young vs. the NL Cy Young with both MVP's on each team as starters and the starting lineups and benches composed entirely of Silver Sluggers and GG winners, also with each league's top 6 saves leaders serving as the bullpen. If such a game ever took place I'd like to see the DH rule implemented fulltime regardless of park to ensure an extra deserving slugger from each league gets to play.

Then, and only then, would I totally support the whole "winning league hosts the WS" thing. Besides, if you are still going to have a midseason break, let all of the players go home for a while to be with their families and relax, and do it over the 4th of July or something. And forget the HR derby, too. Just throw that in the trash.

Hitmen77
01-16-2007, 01:01 PM

My guess is that after NY in '08, the next AL cities to host the game will be Anaheim, KC, and Minnesota. I don't know if KC's renovations or the Twins new ballpark will be ready by 2010. If not, it looks like the Angels would be due to host 21 years after their last game. Tampa Bay has never hosted either. After that, the A's might be in a new ballpark by the time we get to 2016 or 2018. If so, they'd be a prime candidate to host.

....only after that would MLB think about coming back to Yankee Stadium - but at that point Baltimore and Toronto would closing in on 30 years without hosting.

skobabe8
01-16-2007, 04:40 PM
I really could care less where they hold the AS Game since I don't even watch it, but I guess it is kind of cool to hold one in Yankee Stadium before it is torn down.

Not to go totally off topic, but I think it would be a lot better if the AS Game was held at the end of ST each year with the participants chosen BY MLB -not the fans - based off the previous year's stats and without any of the major drawbacks like a player from each team must represent. It would be cool to see the AL Cy Young vs. the NL Cy Young with both MVP's on each team as starters and the starting lineups and benches composed entirely of Silver Sluggers and GG winners, also with each league's top 6 saves leaders serving as the bullpen. If such a game ever took place I'd like to see the DH rule implemented fulltime regardless of park to ensure an extra deserving slugger from each league gets to play.

Then, and only then, would I totally support the whole "winning league hosts the WS" thing. Besides, if you are still going to have a midseason break, let all of the players go home for a while to be with their families and relax, and do it over the 4th of July or something. And forget the HR derby, too. Just throw that in the trash.

That's it? (teal)

nysox35
01-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Sweet Deal!

I do a 20 game "flex" plan with the Yankees, so I wonder if I'd be eligible for tickets.

At any rate, it's a nice final tribute to the current Yankee Stadium, which has been a very special place.

ewokpelts
01-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Sweet Deal!

I do a 20 game "flex" plan with the Yankees, so I wonder if I'd be eligible for tickets.

At any rate, it's a nice final tribute to the current Yankee Stadium, which has been a very special place.how long have you held the plan? if it's been a berry long time, then you might just get tix.....but they'll probably be upstairs...WAY upstairs

Whitesox029
01-19-2007, 03:12 PM
That would be another two years in a row for the National league, as in 06 and 07. I was against that in the first place. If they had left the game meaningless, then fine, but if it's going to mean home field advantage in the WS, they need to alternate leagues. Selig really screwed that one up.

Fenway
01-31-2007, 10:49 AM
it is now official

Yankee Stadium to host '08 All-Star game (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/01/31/yankee_stadium_to_host_08_all_star_game/)

downstairs
01-31-2007, 11:13 AM
Awesome place for Ozzie Guillen to manage his second All Star Game, IMHO.

Murphy10
02-01-2007, 04:51 PM
Could really care less were it's played at, because either way Garland's going to go all nine and throw a no hitter...