PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis to hold 2009 All-Star Game

crazyozzie02
01-16-2007, 01:22 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070115&content_id=1779665&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb&partnerId=cws_toolbar_rss&affiliateID=cws_toolbar_rss\
Theres the link. This is kinda starting to make me mad. This year will mark two straight years that the NL have held allstar games, and with 2008 undecided (although it says that it will be an AL site) it could make it four straight years of NL allstar dominace. This is typical of the NL minded Commisoner. If they are going to keep doing this at least let the DH play. I dont see the point in throwing away at least three at bats, which is another reason why i think the NL blows, but that is just my opinion. They should have never gotten rid of the "see-saw cycle" (AL one year, NL the next, AL after that, ect)

Colin

ewokpelts
01-16-2007, 03:20 AM
i think 2008 will go to the yankees....the royals were guranteed an ASG between 2010-2014, as long as they got funding for rennovations to royals stadium.

itsnotrequired
01-16-2007, 08:41 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070115&content_id=1779665&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb&partnerId=cws_toolbar_rss&affiliateID=cws_toolbar_rss\ (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070115&content_id=1779665&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb&partnerId=cws_toolbar_rss&affiliateID=cws_toolbar_rss%5C)
Theres the link. This is kinda starting to make me mad. This year will mark two straight years that the NL have held allstar games, and with 2008 undecided (although it says that it will be an AL site) it could make it four straight years of NL allstar dominace. This is typical of the NL minded Commisoner. If they are going to keep doing this at least let the DH play. I dont see the point in throwing away at least three at bats, which is another reason why i think the NL blows, but that is just my opinion. They should have never gotten rid of the "see-saw cycle" (AL one year, NL the next, AL after that, ect)

Colin

When was the last time you saw a pitcher bat in an All-Star game, NL park or otherwise? The last I remember is the debacle in Milwaukee back in 2002.

skottyj242
01-16-2007, 09:00 AM
When was the last time you saw a pitcher bat in an All-Star game, NL park or otherwise? The last I remember is the debacle in Milwaukee back in 2002.

I was going to say the same thing. And there are two more teams in the NL so if they go back and forth and AL team will get two before an NL team gets one.

itsnotrequired
01-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I was going to say the same thing. And there are two more teams in the NL so if they go back and forth and AL team will get two before an NL team gets one.

Pitchers batting in 2002 was a result of the circumstances and had nothing to do with "wasting at bats" or the manager feeling that the pitcher would be an effective batter. Before 2002, I can't remember the last time a pitcher batted.

Foulke You
01-16-2007, 09:55 AM
The thing that annoys me is that inevitably, there are talented AL DH/1B guys that get left out of the all-star game roster to accomodate the NL rules at the NL parks.

itsnotrequired
01-16-2007, 10:34 AM
The thing that annoys me is that inevitably, there are talented AL DH/1B guys that get left out of the all-star game roster to accomodate the NL rules at the NL parks.

These guys are still on the roster as pinch hitters.

Hitmen77
01-16-2007, 11:29 AM
IIRC, last summer Selig said they would do 2 NL parks in a row for '06 and '07 because there are so many new NL parks waiting for a turn to host while most of the new AL parks have already hosted. I have no problem with that.

IMO, they should just make the DH universal in all All-Star games. I don't see this as a disadvantage for the NL since there are plenty of great hitters to go around and a position player who doesn't get selected to play on the field can always DH. Why deny another player a spot in the lineup just to give the pitcher a spot in the batting order for this showcase of talent?

ChiSoxRowand
01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
They should have had an AL park host for two straight years.

skottyj242
01-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Why exactly should they have done that?

itsnotrequired
01-16-2007, 11:53 AM
IMO, they should just make the DH universal in all All-Star games. I don't see this as a disadvantage for the NL since there are plenty of great hitters to go around and a position player who doesn't get selected to play on the field can always DH. Why deny another player a spot in the lineup just to give the pitcher a spot in the batting order for this showcase of talent?

But a spot really isn't given up. What playing by the NL rules does is limit the amount of time the "DH" (the batter batting for the pitcher) gets to bat. So instead of someone like Ortiz batting two or three times in an AL park, he would come in as a PH for the pitcher. Next time around, Thome may come in to PH. And so on. If anything, playing in an NL park allows for MORE players to get into the game. But with today's "everyone plays" mentality, it doesn't really matter which park the game is played in.

PKalltheway
01-16-2007, 11:56 AM

I agree. It's an assemblage of the best talent in baseball. If Albert Pujols and Ryan Howard are both on the All-Star team, why should one have to sit the bench because there's no DH?

Brian26
01-16-2007, 09:03 PM

In addition to the fact that there is no such thing as a home-field advantage during an All-Star Game. Almost all of the players, on both teams, are essentially playing a road game. The fans are usually a mixture of out-of-towners and business-suits from the host city. The ASG is the closest possible thing to a completely neutral site.

01-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Who cares about NL AL NL whatever....?

CanBuehrleWait
01-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Who cares about NL AL NL whatever....?
:o:

I care !!:redneck

I want Mags back
01-17-2007, 10:59 AM
if you read the whole thread, ud be able to comprehend why the NL has had it 2 staright

ewokpelts
01-17-2007, 11:08 AM
if you read the whole thread, ud be able to comprehend why the NL has had it 2 starightbut selig has said that the al will get 2 back to back years soon to fix the 2006/2007 problem.
i still wanna know why the d-rays havent gotten an asg yet. there's no chance in hell they'll get a new stadium, might as well help the owners fill some seats

itsnotrequired
01-17-2007, 11:45 AM
if you read the whole thread, ud be able to comprehend why the NL has had it 2 staright

if you used the spell check, ur post would be easier to red

:redneck

TDog
01-24-2007, 03:00 PM
... If they are going to keep doing this at least let the DH play. I dont see the point in throwing away at least three at bats ...

No one had a higher All-Star Game batting average than Billy Pierce. He got a hit in his only time up. I didn't see it, because it happened about a week before I was born, but I know it was an important hit. He actually came around to score during a 3-run, 9th-inning rally in the AL's 6-5 win in 1957.