PDA

View Full Version : Harris to AAA?

SOXit2EM
03-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Thats what I think the Sox SHOULD do, but probably wont. If we are not going to start him this year, then aren't we keeping him from progressing? What's the use of having him on the BENCH, when we got Rowand, who can fill any OF spot, and Graffy, who can cover the IF. Not to mention Liefer. The only reason to possibly bring him up, is for his late inning speed; which I think Rowand should be able to handle. So if he is supposedly our 2nd baseman, or CF of the future. Then unless he gets his shot NOW, let him develop some more in the minors, until we REALLY need him. Also I think we should bring up 12, not 11, pitchers w/ us to start the season. I would say our offense looks pretty concrete. We only need a backup catcher( Johnson), OF replacement(Rowand), INF replacement(Graffy), and a Lefty off the bench(Liefer). We REALLY need all the bullpen help we can get.

Daver
03-11-2002, 06:17 PM
Harris will like Charrlotte in the spring,it's a lovely town.

TimChamp
03-11-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by SOXit2EM
Thats what I think the Sox SHOULD do, but probably wont. If we are not going to start him this year, then aren't we keeping him from progressing? What's the use of having him on the BENCH, when we got Rowand, who can fill any OF spot, and Graffy, who can cover the IF. Not to mention Liefer. The only reason to possibly bring him up, is for his late inning speed; which I think Rowand should be able to handle. So if he is supposedly our 2nd baseman, or CF of the future. Then unless he gets his shot NOW, let him develop some more in the minors, until we REALLY need him. Also I think we should bring up 12, not 11, pitchers w/ us to start the season. I would say our offense looks pretty concrete. We only need a backup catcher( Johnson), OF replacement(Rowand), INF replacement(Graffy), and a Lefty off the bench(Liefer). We REALLY need all the bullpen help we can get.

I agree let's not turn him into someone like Julio Ramirez...I think his play would be sporadic, at best, if he made the club...AAA would be the best for him and it looks like his defense needs a little work too... :o:

KempersRS
03-11-2002, 06:56 PM
Yeah, you want to be cautious, but that type of thing can come back to bite you...look at Crede. That still irks me, and I won't be expecting him to be making the 2002 roster either. Even if he were to do it, he would spend at least 80% of the games on the bench.

doublem23
03-11-2002, 07:21 PM
Anyone who thinks the Sox should rush Willie Harris needs to be reminded of this:

http://cnnsi.com/baseball/mlb/news/1999/06/24/twins_whitesox/t1_caruso_ap_01.jpg

Randar68
03-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Doublem!

That sig is SO you! :D:

doublem23
03-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Doublem!

That sig is SO you! :D:

Well, I try.

Props to JM, tho, for the killer graphic, because, after all, we all need a little eye candy every now and then.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp

I agree let's not turn him into someone like Julio Ramirez...I think his play would be sporadic, at best, if he made the club...AAA would be the best for him and it looks like his defense needs a little work too... :o:

I think most decesions were made before camp this year...Crede could hit 1.000 and not make the club....which is the bad side of it, but having Harris get Triple A time is good....I just hope they don't jerk Hummel around too much this year

baggio202
03-11-2002, 09:00 PM
i agree on harris to AAA..what ascares me though is he is a kenny williams move...just like julio was last year...whicvh means kenny might want to prove his brilliance again :whiner:

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 09:14 PM
Harris is actually ideally suited for a bench role, especially on a team managed by Jerry Manuel, because Harris can do a number of things - pinch-run, come in as a defensive replacement at more than one position, bat lefty...

As much as Harris hates to hear this, his future will be as a role player if he stays on the Sox, unless the Sox get rid of Durham and Hummel turns out to be a complete bust.

Here's how things shape up. Manuel has already said straight out that he'll bring 11 pitchers north, which leaves 14 position spots open.

Barring injury, here are your guarantees to make the team -

1. Sandy Alomar
2. Paul Konerko
3. Ray Durham
4. Royce Clayton
5. Jose Valentin
6. Carlos Lee
7. Kenny Lofton
8. Magglio Ordonez
9. Frank Thomas
10. Tony Graffanino
11. Jeff Liefer

Although that technically leaves three spots open, one is reserved for either Mark Johnson or Josh Paul, leaving two spots open for this list -

1. Aaron Rowand
2. Brian Simmons
3. Willie Harris
4. Joe Crede
5. Josh Paul/Mark Johnson (if Manuel decides to go with three catchers).

At this point, I'd say it's wide open. The next round of cuts should be interesting...

kermittheefrog
03-11-2002, 10:56 PM
Harris isn't likely a longterm starter for a good team. If this is the year Jerry wants him to start his long career as a utility man then I'm all for it.

cornball
03-11-2002, 11:25 PM
Harris will be in triple A...i bet he brings all three catchers

BearSox
03-11-2002, 11:38 PM
Where is Caruso at now anyway? Devil Rays?

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by cornball
Harris will be in triple A...i bet he brings all three catchers

That would be stupid. :angry:

kermittheefrog
03-12-2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by BearSox
Where is Caruso at now anyway? Devil Rays?

He was with the D-Rays last year. Yesterday the Reds assigned him to their minor league camp.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

He was with the D-Rays last year. Yesterday the Reds assigned him to their minor league camp.

The Caruso watch is going to be in effect for a long time....any Jesus Pena updates for me?

kermittheefrog
03-12-2002, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

The Caruso watch is going to be in effect for a long time....any Jesus Pena updates for me?

The Indians signed Pena over the winter.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

The Indians signed Pena over the winter.

Damn, now I can't root for him.....still some great sound bites from the kid "I was throwing at his head!"