PDA

View Full Version : Joe Borchard breaks his foot

HawkDJ
03-11-2002, 04:54 PM
He will be out for 4-6 weeks. He broke his right foot by hitting a foul ball off of it. That is all the information available right now.

Iguana775
03-11-2002, 04:57 PM
oh.....great....just what we needed!!!!

SOXit2EM
03-11-2002, 05:11 PM
No Big deal. He was ticketed for Charlotte anyway.

bjmarte
03-11-2002, 05:15 PM
Well sitting on the bench is one way to keep your Ks down.

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I got this off CS.com:
White Sox outfield prospect Joe Borchard will be out for four to six weeks with a broken right foot.

The 6-foot-5-inch switch-hitter, who had been a longshot to make the squad coming out of spring training, got the injury fouling a ball off his foot during Saturday's game against the Colorado Rockies.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-11-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by HawkDJ2k2
He will be out for 4-6 weeks. He broke his right foot by hitting a foul ball off of it. That is all the information available right now.

He should try using a bat when he gets back. It's got to be hard swinging your leg through the strike zone.
:gulp:

TimChamp
03-11-2002, 06:20 PM
Here's a link to the article from whitesox.com

Borchard slated for rehab in AAA (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/news/cws_news_story.jsp?article_id=cws_20020311_noteboo k_news&team_id=cws) :(: :whiner:

KempersRS
03-11-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by SOXit2EM
No Big deal. He was ticketed for Charlotte anyway.

He wouldn't have made the team, yes, but any serious injury is going to force him to take a step back while he should be progressing in AAA. Maybe he can watch some film on the strike zone.

TheGipper
03-11-2002, 07:54 PM
Hope this doesn't make him timid when he comes back from rehab!

RichH55
03-11-2002, 08:13 PM
Well this is particullarly craptactular news....why don't you kick my dog while you're at it

baggio202
03-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Well this is particullarly craptactular news....why don't you kick my dog while you're at it

only if he doesnt bite :smile:

this news does suck...because if lofton goes down with an injury joe could have been the guy recalled...i dont have his spring training numbers in front of me but i think he is hitting close to 400..so he cant be striking out too much

Daver
03-11-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

this news does suck...because if lofton goes down with an injury joe could have been the guy recalled...i dont have his spring training numbers in front of me but i think he is hitting close to 400..so he cant be striking out too much

Ask and you shall receive.

J Borchard CWS 9 24 5 9 3 0 0 4 12 0 0 0 0 0 .500 .375

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

He was striking out quite a bit... It seemed that every time he didn't get a hit he was striking out. He was very, very aggressive at the plate.

I don't think that if Lofton goes down, Borchard would have been the one recalled. Most likely, Simmons and Rowand would platoon the position (as was the original plan before signing Lofton.) Probably the big winner would be Harris, who moves up on the depth charts now.

CubKilla
03-11-2002, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

He wouldn't have made the team, yes, but any serious injury is going to force him to take a step back while he should be progressing in AAA. Maybe he can watch some film on the strike zone.

Couldn't have said it better myself :D:

MattSharp
03-11-2002, 10:06 PM
Well this will prolly set back any call up until sometime in June at the soonest.

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 10:21 PM
I get the feeling that somehow this too will be blamed on Nardi...

Daver
03-11-2002, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I get the feeling that somehow this too will be blamed on Nardi...

Why not?

If it helps run his ass out of town I will blame the crop spoilation in Grundy county on him too.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

He was striking out quite a bit... It seemed that every time he didn't get a hit he was striking out. He was very, very aggressive at the plate.

I don't think that if Lofton goes down, Borchard would have been the one recalled. Most likely, Simmons and Rowand would platoon the position (as was the original plan before signing Lofton.) Probably the big winner would be Harris, who moves up on the depth charts now.

I don't think LTP would have been the next guy either...but a broken foot certainly isn't good news and it will set his timetable back and since he is our best prospect and most likely a guy we are counting on in 2003, this kind of news I could do without

RichH55
03-12-2002, 01:23 AM
Though.....Mario is one step closer to Chicago! Bring that bandwagon back....only 6 more to go!

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 08:51 AM
I bet Rowand is happy now that he has a better chance. That really blows. Kind of reminds me of when Brian Simmons was supposed to come up & got hurt.

Get Well Soon Joe!

Konerkofan
03-12-2002, 09:02 AM
hey even though borchard's supposed to be so good, I'd rather see Aaron for now

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 09:40 AM
I think that Aaron has more experience and am actually more comfortable with him over Joe, but now we will have to wait even longer to see what Joe can do in the big leagues.

RedPinStripes
03-12-2002, 10:14 AM
As much as i want to see him produce for the Sox, he shouldn't have been up here anyway this year until Sept. There are more then enough outfielers available to let LTP get another year to learn.

Randar68
03-12-2002, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
As much as i want to see him produce for the Sox, he shouldn't have been up here anyway this year until Sept. There are more then enough outfielers available to let LTP get another year to learn.

If Joe spends the whole seqason at AAA, despite this injury, I think he'll hit 40+ HR's...playing half his games in Chorlotte's stadium will do that!

RedPinStripes
03-12-2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

If Joe spends the whole seqason at AAA, despite this injury, I think he'll hit 40+ HR's...playing half his games in Chorlotte's stadium will do that!

Birmingham is the tough park to hit homers in right? I've never been to either one. :whiner: I've been to Tucon electric park though. Gotta get back there next year.

40+ Hr's would be real nice to see out of LTP before he takes over at Comiskey. I wonder what he'll do at Comskey? If that homerun porch goes up in rf , resturaunt and grand entrance and flat roof tops are done in 2003, it will be interesting to see how the wind effects the ball with the short fences now. :?:

foulkesfan11
03-12-2002, 12:32 PM
What does LTP mean?

FarWestChicago
03-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
What does LTP mean? The WSI Dictionary is your friend. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/glossary.php?s=&ltr=L) :smile:

Jerry_Manuel
03-12-2002, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Birmingham is the tough park to hit homers in right?

Yep it's a big park from what I've heard, Charlotte is the band box.

Randar68
03-12-2002, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Yep it's a big park from what I've heard, Charlotte is the band box.

Birmingham - Hoover Metropolitan Stadium - 340 lines, 405 CF, 385 gaps, 15-20 foot fence all the way around...

Charlotte - Knight's Stadium - 325 lines, 400 CF, and if I recall correctly, they have 20 foot Advertisement walls, but the big wall is recessed, and the HR height is about 8-10 feet...

HUGE difference. From people I talked to and from what I saw last year, Borchard would have had about 12-15 more HR's last season if he was playing in a park with Knights Stadium's dimensions...

RichH55
03-12-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
What does LTP mean?

Light Tower Power ...its Borchard's nickname

pissonthecubs
03-12-2002, 09:38 PM
did borchard really have that good of a chance to make the 25 man squad? i think it will be rowand as the 4th outfielder, and if carlos lee continues he's defensive slumps in left field, then i see no reason why aaron should take over in left. do you think we could get any kind of starting pitching or a middle reliever for lee in a trade??

Daver
03-12-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by pissonthecubs
did borchard really have that good of a chance to make the 25 man squad? i think it will be rowand as the 4th outfielder, and if carlos lee continues he's defensive slumps in left field, then i see no reason why aaron should take over in left. do you think we could get any kind of starting pitching or a middle reliever for lee in a trade??

You could expect a top prospect for Lee straight up.

RedPinStripes
03-13-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Randar68

Birmingham - Hoover Metropolitan Stadium - 340 lines, 405 CF, 385 gaps, 15-20 foot fence all the way around...

Charlotte - Knight's Stadium - 325 lines, 400 CF, and if I recall correctly, they have 20 foot Advertisement walls, but the big wall is recessed, and the HR height is about 8-10 feet...

HUGE difference. From people I talked to and from what I saw last year, Borchard would have had about 12-15 more HR's last season if he was playing in a park with Knights Stadium's dimensions...

I thought AAA was supposed to be tougher?lol