PDA

View Full Version : Howard and Thome

Jerksticks
01-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Howard is an absolute beast. Throw in a Neal Cotts after 2005 in that deal and I think we coulda had him. How highly touted was Howard after 2005 because I think I remember hearing that it was between him and Thome. Whats up guys?

D. TODD
01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Thome was out to make room for Howard. No way they were dealing Howard instead of Thome.

maurice
01-11-2007, 02:02 PM
KW told the Phil's GM, "You have 2 1B and can't play both. Give me either one." The Phil's GM made the obvious choice.

munchman33
01-11-2007, 02:25 PM
The Phillies needed to shed payroll as much as they needed to open a spot for Howard. If they didn't trade Thome to us, he would have been a Met, and Kenny would have been looking at Delgado.

SABRSox
01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
You're joking, right? There was never any way Philly would trade Ryan Howard over Jim Thome. The contract situation demanded that Thome be the one traded, let alone Thome's injury-plagued 2005.

santo=dorf
01-11-2007, 03:53 PM
The Phillies needed to shed payroll as much as they needed to open a spot for Howard. If they didn't trade Thome to us, he would have been a Met, and Kenny would have been looking at Delgado.
Um no.

Thome said he only wanted to go to Chicago or the Indians.

The Phillies were supposedly thinking of putting Howard in a corner OF position if they couldn't move Thome.

Also KW wasn't interested in Delgado because he had a trade for him at the 2004 deadline but Carlos wouldn't waive his NTC.

Jerksticks
01-12-2007, 07:44 AM
You're joking, right? There was never any way Philly would trade Ryan Howard over Jim Thome. The contract situation demanded that Thome be the one traded, let alone Thome's injury-plagued 2005.

why would i post this if i was joking? why would you say that? simmer down sporto. I was referring to the quote about the 2 first basemen and gimme either one, but kinda forgot what it was over the year. that's not a joke at all kid. :angry:

FedEx227
01-12-2007, 11:03 AM
why would i post this if i was joking? why would you say that? simmer down sporto. I was referring to the quote about the 2 first basemen and gimme either one, but kinda forgot what it was over the year. that's not a joke at all kid. :angry:

Kenny was psuedo asking for Thome. He and everyone in the league knew that the Phillies would not have traded Howard.

What sense would come if you got two very similar players

Trading the 25-year old prodigy who makes $250,000

or

the 36-year old coming off an injury who makes $14 million

The Phillies were supposedly thinking of putting Howard in a corner OF position if they couldn't move Thome.

Good lord that would have been awful.

RKMeibalane
01-12-2007, 12:06 PM

Williams wasn't entirely serious when he inquired about Howard. Every general manager in baseball knew that the Phillies were never going to trade Ryan Howard. He asked the question soley for the sake of asking it. Thome was the player he wanted, whom he thought the Sox had a realistic chance of acquiring.

IlliniSox
01-12-2007, 09:07 PM

In his defense, I thought we were joking here too. Minimum wage star vs. the injured, apparently fading, 36 year old star.

This place needs a serious tuneup. You used to get run off this board for starting threads like this.

RKMeibalane
01-13-2007, 10:44 AM
In his defense, I thought we were joking here too. Minimum wage star vs. the injured, apparently fading, 36 year old star.

This place needs a serious tuneup. You used to get run off this board for starting threads like this.

It's the offseason. It looks like most people have left the "chasing bad posters away" duty to 'West. I actually think it's more fun that way, because we have the pleasure of reading FWC's comments.

ondafarm
01-13-2007, 10:47 AM
If this is your best attempt at stirring up controversy, you need to try again. Make the two alternatives more realistic. The Phillies weren't trading the young stud.

Jerksticks
01-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Howard is an absolute beast. Throw in a Neal Cotts after 2005 in that deal and I think we coulda had him. How highly touted was Howard after 2005 because I think I remember hearing that it was between him and Thome. Whats up guys?

You guys are creeps. My first sentence acknowledges that Howard is a beast. I KNOW that. Neal Cotts had a ridiculous 2005, so back to my original question. Just wondering what you think it woulda taken to get Howard over Thome. Yea you could keep being Captain Obviouses and say "The phillies weren't giving up howard", but everyone knows that already. That's retard knowledge. Say something original like what would be an offer they woulda looked at seriously.

SABRSox
01-13-2007, 12:44 PM
I wasn't going to respond to you, but then you went and said something completely offensive.

For shame.

JorgeFabregas
01-13-2007, 12:49 PM
How highly was he touted? Very highly. Would throwing in Neal Cotts have gotten him? No.

RKMeibalane
01-13-2007, 12:50 PM
You guys are creeps. My first sentence acknowledges that Howard is a beast. I KNOW that. Neal Cotts had a ridiculous 2005, so back to my original question. Just wondering what you think it woulda taken to get Howard over Thome. Yea you could keep being Captain Obviouses and say "The phillies weren't giving up howard", but everyone knows that already. That's retard knowledge. Say something original like what would be an offer they woulda looked at seriously.

That's the point. They were not going to trade Howard, so there was no offer that they would have seriously considered. None. End of discussion.

FedEx227
01-13-2007, 01:43 PM
Why discuss us getting Howard when everyone and their mother's knew it was impossible. That's like discussing the chances of us getting Albert Pujols this offseason and how it would help our team in the future.

RKMeibalane
01-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Why discuss us getting Howard when everyone and their mother's knew it was impossible. That's like discussing the chances of us getting Albert Pujols this offseason and how it would help our team in the future.

There seems to be a portion of the population that just likes to create drama and intrigue, even where none should realistically exist.

pearso66
01-13-2007, 07:21 PM
you would have had to add a Brandon McCarthy and Mark Buehrle probably on top of Rowand and the other 2 to get Howard.

jabrch
01-13-2007, 11:08 PM
you would have had to add a Brandon McCarthy and Mark Buehrle probably on top of Rowand and the other 2 to get Howard.

I still doubt that would have done it.

pearso66
01-14-2007, 11:32 AM
I still doubt that would have done it.

That probably would have done it, I don't know of any tema that would turn down a top pitcher, a top young pitcher, 2 pitching prospects and a CFer for 1 prospect. But then again, I'm not a GM. Kenny would have gotten killed here if he offered that deal.

Jerksticks
01-14-2007, 03:57 PM
That probably would have done it, I don't know of any tema that would turn down a top pitcher, a top young pitcher, 2 pitching prospects and a CFer for 1 prospect. But then again, I'm not a GM. Kenny would have gotten killed here if he offered that deal.

this was before anyone thought he could hit 58 dingers in a season. i think anyone would be tradeable for 2005 Buehrle, Mccarthy, 2 pitching prospects, and rowand. yea this thread sucks but we got nothin else to talk about.

santo=dorf
01-14-2007, 04:00 PM
http://fayez.com/movies/vinny3.jpg

"You was being serious 'bout that?"

FedEx227
01-14-2007, 04:22 PM
this was before anyone thought he could hit 58 dingers in a season. i think anyone would be tradeable for 2005 Buehrle, Mccarthy, 2 pitching prospects, and rowand. yea this thread sucks but we got nothin else to talk about.

No, you're wrong. They knew he was a big power bat in his first full season (2002) he hit 19 in 135 games, 2003 23 homers 82 RBIs and in 2004 37 homers in 102 games... comparatively in 162 games at that pace he would have had 58.

So they kinda had a bit of an idea when at age 24 he was crushing 37 home runs in 374 at-bats.

RKMeibalane
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
No, you're wrong. They knew he was a big power bat in his first full season (2002) he hit 19 in 135 games, 2003 23 homers 82 RBIs and in 2004 37 homers in 102 games... comparatively in 162 games at that pace he would have had 58.

So they kinda had a bit of an idea when at age 24 he was crushing 37 home runs in 374 at-bats.

Agreed. Howard was expected to provide an automatic 40-45 home runs per season. The Phillies did briefly explore a trade with the Blue Jays between '04-05, but talks broke off after a short time because then-GM Ed Wade decided that he didn't want to risk Howard developing into a star elsewhere.