PDA

View Full Version : Mulder Gets 2 Years ...

SBSoxFan
01-11-2007, 12:03 PM
... from the Cardinals, $13M (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070110&content_id=1776919&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp). :o:

Suddenly, 4/40 for Ted Lilly doesn't look so bad. I mean, at least he's healthy. Mulder has no timetable for returning after shoulder surgery last September, and he gets 2/13?! Let me say it again, :o:

SABRSox
01-11-2007, 12:12 PM
... from the Cardinals, $13M (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070110&content_id=1776919&vkey=hotstove2006&fext=.jsp). :o:

Suddenly, 4/40 for Ted Lilly doesn't look so bad. I mean, at least he's healthy. Mulder has no timetable for returning after shoulder surgery last September, and he gets 2/13?! Let me say it again, :o:

Well... I guess they're paying for the past. That's a pretty bad contract, but par for the course as this offseason has gone.

Huisj
01-11-2007, 12:15 PM
That is quite nuts. If it was something like elbow surgery and he would be ready early in the year, that would be one thing, but it sounds like his shoulder is pretty screwed up. Right now, they've just been calling it a torn rotator cuff (which is not exactly something small), but last year they also mentioned a few other things like an impingement and possible labrum damage I think. I can't believe a team would give him that kind of money with those kinds of injuries.

SABRSox
01-11-2007, 12:16 PM
That is quite nuts. If it was something like elbow surgery and he would be ready early in the year, that would be one thing, but it sounds like his shoulder is pretty screwed up. Right now, they've just been calling it a torn rotator cuff (which is not exactly something small), but last year they also mentioned a few other things like an impingement and possible labrum damage I think. I can't believe a team would give him that kind of money with those kinds of injuries.

And it doesn't sound like there are any escape clauses to protect themselves from those kind of injuries. They could very well pay him to never play again. There's a lot of risk, and the reward isn't that great, considering the money.

caulfield12
01-11-2007, 12:21 PM
The guaranteed portion of Mulder's contract derives from a $5 million base for 2007, a $6.5 million salary in 2008 and a $1.5 million buyout for 2009's team option. He can earn as much as $6.5 million from incentives this coming season, and that would serve to heighten his guarantee for 2008. It's possible he'll earn $11.5 million to $12 million in the second year of the deal.

from postdispatch.com

skottyj242
01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Why wasn't I born a lefty? Thanks Dad.

LauraJ14
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
The article that I read says that he is starting to throw now and should be ready by the All-Star break.
This is the first time he has had an injury to his shoulder, a partial tear in his rotator cuff. Also didn't Chris Carpenter have the same problem in Toronto and the Cards sign him? Thats worked out well for them.

Just think if he was healthy, he could get a contract like Zito's.

SABRSox
01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
The article that I read says that he is starting to throw now and should be ready by the All-Star break.
This is the first time he has had an injury to his shoulder, a partial tear in his rotator cuff. Also didn't Chris Carpenter have the same problem in Toronto and the Cards sign him? Thats worked out well for them.

Just think if he was healthy, he could get a contract like Zito's.

For every Chris Carpenter, there's probably a dozen of guys that didn't pan out. It's still an expensive gamble, any way you slice it.

LauraJ14
01-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Well he has a history of being a good pitcher (other than 2006) so its probably a good gamble for the Cards.
The Cards have done contracts like that with Matt Morris and Chris Carpenter and both have worked for them.

caulfield12
01-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Well he has a history of being a good pitcher (other than 2006) so its probably a good gamble for the Cards.
The Cards have done contracts like that with Matt Morris and Chris Carpenter and both have worked for them.

Although Morris really went downhill fast. He went from a #1 (like Zito) to a 4/5 type of starter fairly quickly. Something to watch for with Zito, just as it has been with Mulder and Hudson. And the same thing happened to Alan and Andy Benes.