PDA

View Full Version : Who would be the home run champion?

thomas35forever
01-11-2007, 11:52 AM
If/when Bonds passes Hank Aaron, who will be the all-time home run leader in your eyes?

White Sox Randy
01-11-2007, 01:51 PM
When Bonds hits # 756 he will be the record holder for most homeruns hit.

But, to me the homerun king will always be Babe Ruth.

ondafarm
01-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Aaron, no contest.

NardiWasHere
01-11-2007, 02:15 PM

Why?

FedEx227
01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Why?

Yeah I'd love to know how Hank Aaron is not, all he did was hit more than Ruth. But Ruth is a classic, beer, hotdogs, blah blah, same old crap, blah.

caulfield12
01-11-2007, 02:38 PM

Do you also think Mantle should have broken the record instead of Maris?

That Albert Belle has less RBI's (in one season) than Dye?

D. TODD
01-11-2007, 02:44 PM
You can call Hank Aaron or Dave Kingman for that matter your home run king if you want, but if Bonds passes Aaron he is the home run king. Like it or not, that is the only answer.Hell you can say 2+2=5 if you want, but that doesn't change the facts.

Jerksticks
01-11-2007, 02:47 PM

Yea because the guy who is 3rd in career homeruns and like 7th now in single season bombs should be considered the king.

How old is Ryan Howard because he is an absolute beast?

ILuvThatDuck
01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Yea because the guy who is 3rd in career homeruns and like 7th now in single season bombs should be considered the king.

Ryan Howard is 27. Kinda hard to imagine that he could break the record.

santo=dorf
01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Babe Ruth played WAY above everyone else back during his time. What kind of home run numbers would Ruth put up if he played in the same ballparks as Aaron?

Wasn't Babe the all time home run leader after his 200th something home run? He broke the all-time home run record almost 500 times. :o:

glasgow sox
01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
well the last time I checked 756 was more than 755 so BB would be the champion but whether or not he cheated I dont know but until he is proven guilty then he will be the champ but if albert pujols keeps up with the homers theres no question he will be a future all-time leader

ondafarm
01-11-2007, 05:44 PM
Babe Ruth played WAY above everyone else back during his time. What kind of home run numbers would Ruth put up if he played in the same ballparks as Aaron?

Wasn't Babe the all time home run leader after his 200th something home run? He broke the all-time home run record almost 500 times. :o:

Babe Ruth became the career home run leader when he hit his 139nth homer in 1921 passing Roger Conner who'd retired in 1897.

PennStater98r
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Hank Aaron is and always will be the home run king (unless A-Rod catches him) - regardless of what Bonds does.

Track runners who use steroids and break sprinting records do not retain their records or medals.

UserNameBlank
01-11-2007, 07:11 PM
The tainted record will be Bonds' but only for a short time. Between ARod and Pujols, one of those guys will break it before their careers end.

Grzegorz
01-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Aaron...

itsnotrequired
01-11-2007, 10:00 PM
Track runners who use steroids and break sprinting records do not retain their records or medals.

But the same rules do not exist in baseball. Pete Rose's stats still stand, etc.

FarWestChicago
01-11-2007, 10:05 PM
But the same rules do not exist in baseball. Pete Rose's stats still stand, etc.You are correct. But, you gotta admit they don't mess around in track and field. :D:

itsnotrequired
01-11-2007, 10:09 PM
You are correct. But, you gotta admit they don't mess around in track and field. :D:

No kidding. If you get caught using drugs, they'll not only take your medals but also your water bottle, cleats and starting block!:cool:

hi im skot
01-11-2007, 11:01 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/tom_verducci/01/18/steroids.amphetamines/p1_aaron.jpg

TDog
01-12-2007, 02:19 AM

If they tested players after every game and declared forfeit any victory in which a member of the winning team tested positive for steroids, baseball could work that way too.

StillMissOzzie
01-12-2007, 02:26 AM
My fervent desire is that Bonds gets nailed with solid proof of steroid use and has a big asterisk by his name. Hammerin' Hank is my HR king.

SMO
:gulp:

RKMeibalane
01-14-2007, 05:55 PM

He's 27.

PennStater98r
01-15-2007, 04:04 AM
But the same rules do not exist in baseball. Pete Rose's stats still stand, etc.

There is no logic to this post - there's a big difference about holding a record while never testing positive for drugs that enchance your skills or reflexes or strength - and betting on baseball.

Rose broke the record despite of his black mark(s). Bonds broke it in part due to his black mark(s). That's a big difference.

itsnotrequired
01-15-2007, 10:21 AM
There is no logic to this post - there's a big difference about holding a record while never testing positive for drugs that enchance your skills or reflexes or strength - and betting on baseball.

Rose broke the record despite of his black mark(s). Bonds broke it in part due to his black mark(s). That's a big difference.

The point is more that baseball has yet to "take away" anything a player has accomplished due to any off-field activities unlike a sport such as track and field. Is the 1919 Reds championship not "real" since the Sox threw the series? Should the 1951 champion Giants have their rings taken away for their sign-stealing system at the Polo Grounds? Should Sox pitchers have their stats altered due to Gene Bossard and his field modifications? Have any minor leaguers that have tested positive for steroids have their stats deleted, altered or modified in any way?

Even if guys are caught in the act of cheating (i.e. pitchers doctoring the ball, corked bats, etc.), their stats for that game, series, season, whatever still stand.

Everyone is up in arms, of course, since a "holy grail" of baseball records has a chance to be broken. If Bonds breaks the record, tests positive for steroids and MLB decides to "take the record away", they need to do so for any player that has tested positive for steroids (or other cheating) and had some type of success. Either do it for everyone or do it for no one.

ondafarm
01-15-2007, 12:07 PM
The point is more that baseball has yet to "take away" anything a player has accomplished due to any off-field activities unlike a sport such as track and field. Is the 1919 Reds championship not "real" since the Sox threw the series? Should the 1951 champion Giants have their rings taken away for their sign-stealing system at the Polo Grounds? Should Sox pitchers have their stats altered due to Gene Bossard and his field modifications? Have any minor leaguers that have tested positive for steroids have their stats deleted, altered or modified in any way?

Even if guys are caught in the act of cheating (i.e. pitchers doctoring the ball, corked bats, etc.), their stats for that game, series, season, whatever still stand.

Everyone is up in arms, of course, since a "holy grail" of baseball records has a chance to be broken. If Bonds breaks the record, tests positive for steroids and MLB decides to "take the record away", they need to do so for any player that has tested positive for steroids (or other cheating) and had some type of success. Either do it for everyone or do it for no one.

How about the asterik on Maris' home run record?

itsnotrequired
01-15-2007, 12:28 PM
How about the asterik on Maris' home run record?

What asterisk? At the time, stats were not "officially" sanctioned by the MLB. They had no authority to put any type of asterisk on there. Besides, a season record is a season record. Season lengths have varied throughout baseball. Where was the outrage when Charley Jones broke George Hall's single season HR record back in 1879? The same applies for Stovey in 1883, Williamson in 1884 and Ruth in 1919. All those seasons had different numbers of games. Hell, in the same year Maris broke Ruth's record, Koufax broke Mathewson's single season NL record for strikeouts in a season, a record that had stood for nearly 60 years. He did it in more games but I don't remember any big stink.

DoItForDanPasqua
01-15-2007, 03:24 PM

Aaron is the home run king for the simple fact that he hit the most. The Cardinals may not have been the best team last season but they still get the rings. No one argues that they are champions.

That said, Ruth was the greatest home run hitter of them all. In 1927, he hit 60 homers, no other team hit that many home runs. To equal that feat in 2006, a player would have to hit 237 homers.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL_1927.shtml

The Dude
01-15-2007, 11:08 PM
If am I not mistaken, and I rarely am, there never was an asterik next to Maris' name. There were seperate record listed in the record books, one for a 154 game season and one for the current 162 game season.

And for the record, if Bonds hits 756, he has the record.

Probably referring to the movie by the title 61*

The Dude
01-15-2007, 11:11 PM
If/when Bonds passes Hank Aaron, who will be the all-time home run leader in your eyes?

If Bonds has more home runs than anyone in baseball history, then he is the home run champion until someone else passes him. Why is this even a debate? Unless his numbers are removed or lessened, he will be the champion. Disliking someone or knowing they cheated has nothing to do with being a champion of a statistic.

Oblong
01-16-2007, 07:10 AM
If am I not mistaken, and I rarely am, there never was an asterik next to Maris' name. There were seperate record listed in the record books, one for a 154 game season and one for the current 162 game season.

And for the record, if Bonds hits 756, he has the record.

Actually there never was a record book. MLB didn't have one. When Fay Vincent lifted the asterisk he didn't really do anything because there was nothing to lift it from. Private comanies, like the Sporting News, had compiled the stats into their own record book but they were not under MLB control. This was true as of a few years ago. Not sure aboutt oday.