PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds tests positive for amphetamines

munchman33
01-11-2007, 03:18 AM
let the hate fest begin

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2727325

areilly
01-11-2007, 03:22 AM
If there is justice in the world, let this be the beginning of Barry's MLB-imposed end.

MUsoxfan
01-11-2007, 03:25 AM
The tip of the iceberg for Mr. Bonds:gulp:

munchman33
01-11-2007, 03:36 AM
If there is justice in the world, let this be the beginning of Barry's MLB-imposed end.

first positive for amphetamines is a warning.

areilly
01-11-2007, 04:32 AM
first positive for amphetamines is a warning.

I only meant let this be the first of a long line of evidence that even the guys at the top of MLB and the MLBPA can't ignore.

VenturaIsAGod
01-11-2007, 04:41 AM
Not my Barry!?!?!?!! I'm sorry, I just wanted to throw that out there. I don't think anyone is surprised/emotional enough about this to offer any meaningful insight.

QCIASOXFAN
01-11-2007, 05:58 AM
If its a warning its not supposed to be made public. Think how many other people tested positive for Amphetamines last year, but only Barry's name is leaked.:redneck I also love the part about getting it from his teammate Mark Sweeney and throwing him under the bus. What a guy.

mccoydp
01-11-2007, 08:08 AM
Barry's a real class act. :redneck

WizardsofOzzie
01-11-2007, 08:12 AM
What an amazing *******.....at least if indications are right, he won't be getting into the hall of fame

Jurr
01-11-2007, 08:21 AM
Meh. Everybody does greenies. It's baseball tradition. Bonds does it, and the media gets really excited.

Viva Medias B's
01-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I'm shocked. I cannot believe this is true.

downstairs
01-11-2007, 08:45 AM
Meh. Everybody does greenies. It's baseball tradition. Bonds does it, and the media gets really excited.

Agreed. It's speed. Its not that big of a deal in terms of "changing the game". Sure, it looks bad for the kids- you don't want to teach them that it's OK.

But, really, greenies are everywhere and I doubt they've affected the game much against the time before they were invented.

Steroids, that's a much bigger deal- that physically changes the body to a completely freakish and unfair extreme.

Wake me when he tests positive for that.

WizardsofOzzie
01-11-2007, 09:18 AM
Agreed. It's speed. Its not that big of a deal in terms of "changing the game". Sure, it looks bad for the kids- you don't want to teach them that it's OK.

But, really, greenies are everywhere and I doubt they've affected the game much against the time before they were invented.

Steroids, that's a much bigger deal- that physically changes the body to a completely freakish and unfair extreme.

I think its more the fact that he's trying to pass it off on someone else, just like his steroid use

Mickster
01-11-2007, 09:31 AM
http://daboogiedownbronx.mlblogs.com/da_bronx_bombers/images/capt1azbm10602281818giants_spring_baseba.jpghttp://foros.eluniversal.com.mx/blogs/imagenes/Nelson_Muntz_rie2.jpg

soxfan13
01-11-2007, 09:50 AM

You cant even defend him by saying its only speed. Its still against the rules and the fact that he is under the microscope you would think he would avoid taking anything that he doesnt know whats in it. Then to top it off instead of just saying yeah I took it cuz as you two say "everyone else does and its not a big deal" He blames his teammate for his **** up!

Domeshot17
01-11-2007, 09:57 AM
My initial reaction was wow, finally a positive test on Barry. Then I thought about it, and if numbers are correct, for this offense, you have to react the same you would if one of the sox positive tests came out (and Im sure a few members of the Sox were greenie heads, might have been a big part of the pitching decline).

This is like being the principle of a high school, knowing who the biggest drug pusher in the senior class is, then finding a small amount of pot in his locker during a random search, and finding the same amount in 30 other kid's lockers. As much as you think you have him, all you really have is him being the same as everyone else.

What really amazes me, it was a comment on Mike and Mike this morning, If this was a positive test in the NFL, would anyone have really cared? Merriman, who at the time was running away with defensive player of the year, tested positive, and no one reacted. He took his 4 games off, came back and continued to play great football with the help of steroids. Unless he tests positive a few more times in his career, he could end up in the hall of fame, with the roids being forgotten about. If this was baseball, his HOF ticket would have been out the window with 1 positive test.

D. TODD
01-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Meh. Everybody does greenies. It's baseball tradition. Bonds does it, and the media gets really excited. True, and it is a classic performance enhancing drug which has been used illegally by many hall of famers throughout baseball's history. I hope they enforce the use of amphetamines as strictly as they enforce all other performance enhancers. The media and MLB itself can not pick and choose what & who they want to blast for using illegal drugs. They are all looking for a chemical boost to preform better, and that is illegal by MLB rules now. In the past it was only illegal by U.S. law, so "greenies" became common place in the clubhouse, much as steroids was "wink wink" given the o.k. by MLB.

Luke
01-11-2007, 10:11 AM

Rob Dibble used to talk about that. He said that teams were usually split into two camps. Half the team would "bean" or take green laced coffee, and the other half would leave it alone.

Unfortunately blaming teammates, and denying knowingly taking performance enhancing drugs has become a tradition now too.

PatK
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM

Exacty.

Jim Leyritz got in trouble for talking about how everyone did them when he was playing for the Yankees, that is was a common and accepted practice.

D. TODD
01-11-2007, 10:49 AM
Exacty.

Jim Leyritz got in trouble for talking about how everyone did them when he was playing for the Yankees, that is was a common and accepted practice.
So since steroids/andro was a widely used and accepted practice by many players that makes it allright? Ball Four outed the "greenie" use long ago, and nobody cared much. The fact that the drug was being abused illegally by U.S. laws didn't matter to MLB. Now since steroids is seen as a more affective way to use drugs illegally (by U.S. law, not MLB rules ) to enhance your performance it gets different treatment. Be consistant, and strictly enforce all drugs used illegally for performance. What was done in the past is done. MLB allowed and often encouraged it. (steroids included) Focus on the present and enforce the MLB drug use policy across the board.

soxfan13
01-11-2007, 10:52 AM
So since steroids/andro was a widely used and accepted practice by many players that makes it allright? Ball Four outed the "greenie" use long ago, and nobody cared much. The fact that the drug was being abused illegally by U.S. laws didn't matter to MLB. Now since steroids is seen as a more affective way to use drugs illegally (by U.S. law, not MLB rules ) to enhance your performance it gets different treatment. Be consistant, and strictly enforce all drugs used illegally for performance. What was done in the past is done. MLB allowed and often encouraged it. (steroids included) Focus on the present and enforce the MLB drug use policy across the board.

WOW finally a voice of reason

Fenway
01-11-2007, 11:00 AM
let us not give credit to ESPN for the story

this is the actual story the ESPN report came from

Failure leaves a testy BarryDaily News Exclusive: Barry Bonds, already under investigation for lying under oath about his steroid use, failed a test under Major League Baseball's amphetamine policy last season and then initially blamed it on a teammate, the Daily News has learned.FULL STORY (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/487795p-410640c.html)

Mike Lupica: Baseball unsafe at any speed (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/col/story/487691p-410639c.html)

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/186-BACK_BIG.jpg

thomas35forever
01-11-2007, 11:50 AM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I wonder if this could turn into another Raffy Palmeiro story and say Bonds has known about the test results for awhile now. Additionally, this could also become a Palmeiro-like story if his positive steroid test results aren't made public until after he passes Aaron.:mad:

DumpJerry
01-11-2007, 01:19 PM
If its a warning its not supposed to be made public. Think how many other people tested positive for Amphetamines last year, but only Barry's name is leaked.:redneck I also love the part about getting it from his teammate Mark Sweeney and throwing him under the bus. What a guy.

Barry's a real class act. :redneck
Barry is a graduate of the Raffy School of Personal Responsibiliy.

brewcrew/chisox
01-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Doesn't it irk (interest?) some people here that these 'leaks' to the press keep occuring when there are explicit rules set in place from MLB to protect the player? Don't get me wrong. I am in no way defending Bonds and his drug use. Personally I think he's a complete tool and needs to be properly exposed for his steriod use within the legal rights of the law and rules of MLB baseball. But this whole thing smells really fishy to me. For one, the timing of it is consipicously close to the HOF voting and the hoopla over McGwire's snub at being inducted. Bonds is also currently under contract negotiations with the Giants. Could this 'leak' be an intentional attempt by Selig to warn the Giants and any other MLB organization to not sign Bonds? From a PR standpoint, the league really doesn't want to deal with the Hank Aaron HR record crap that will no doubt be discussed adnauseum in 2007. Maybe I need to get out my tinfoil hat, and maybe the years of seeing Selig screw over Milwaukee and Brewer fans have clouded my judgment, but IMO the MLB shouldn't be relaxing privacy rules for any of its 'employees', even guys like Barry Bonds.

QCIASOXFAN
01-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Doesn't it irk (interest?) some people here that these 'leaks' to the press keep occuring when there are explicit rules set in place from MLB to protect the player? Don't get me wrong. I am in no way defending Bonds and his drug use.Its pretty ****ed up, but hes the one they want. Like I said earlier, think how many players tested positive for amphetamines last year, and Bonds is the only name we hear?:?:

chaerulez
01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
This shows exactly what type of person Bonds is to bring up a teammates name in this. Him and Palmerio are both pieces of garbage.

Frontman
01-11-2007, 05:50 PM

Up until last year, yeah, EVERYONE (heh) does them. But now that they are against the rules and players are being tested for them, Bonds (who doesn't understand why he has to follow the rules) flies in the face of the testing, tests positive, then throws another teammate under the bus.

Sorry, I don't believe in the "well, it wasn't against the rules until then" BS that usual Bonds defenders throw out there.

Front

WizardsofOzzie
01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
My kingdom for a *

UserNameBlank
01-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Lots of people do coke, so why can't baseball players? Lots of people beat their wives, so why can't baseball players? Lots of people get drunk and stumble around in public streets, so why can't baseball players?

What goes on behind closed doors is each player's buisness and nobody elses. BUT when one of those players gets caught doing something that he knows the public will not like to hear about, well, the player only has himself to blame. In Barry's case, he has already ****ed himself royally with steriods, racist comments, and general ******* behavior. Now he's a drug addict? **** you, Barry Bonds. Hit all the home runs you want but no one will EVER take you seriously again. Have fun trying to get into the Hall now, lol.

Oblong
01-11-2007, 06:31 PM
I thought Barry wasn't part of the player's association so would the rules about privacy apply to him?

Hendu
01-11-2007, 07:41 PM
What really ticks me off about this story is the lying and throwing a teammate under a bus. This guy, who is under more scrutiny than anyone in MLB and is pretty familiar with the pitfalls of putting unknown substances in his body, would just take something from a teammate's locker? Yeah, right. And throwing Mark Sweeney under the bus. What an *******.

I seriously hope that this kills his contract and he goes away. What organization would want this jerk on their roster?

brewcrew/chisox
01-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I thought Barry wasn't part of the player's association so would the rules about privacy apply to him?

Yeah, I thought about that. Could the player's association be behind the 'leak'? Teach him to throw a player under the bus.

Brian26
01-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Just received this via IM from a buddy in CA....this is a direct quote from the SF Chronicle from Bonds. They apparently just read this on ESPN radio too.

"He is both my teammate and my friend," Bonds said of Sweeney. "He did not give me anything whatsoever and has nothing to do with this matter, contrary to recent reports. I want to express my deepest apologies especially to Mark and his family as well as my other teammates, the San Francisco Giants organization and the fans. "

CLR01
01-11-2007, 09:25 PM
Just received this via IM from a buddy in CA....this is a direct quote from the SF Chronicle from Bonds. They apparently just read this on ESPN radio too.

"He is both my teammate and my friend," Bonds said of Sweeney. "He did not give me anything whatsoever and has nothing to do with this matter, contrary to recent reports. I want to express my deepest apologies especially to Mark and his family as well as my other teammates, the San Francisco Giants organization and the fans. "

Is that a direct quote(telephone conversation) from Bonds or did the SF Chronicle receive a nice fax from the agent and publicist? It certainly reads like the latter.

areilly
01-11-2007, 09:35 PM
Lots of people do coke, so why can't baseball players? Lots of people beat their wives, so why can't baseball players? Lots of people get drunk and stumble around in public streets, so why can't baseball players?

To paraphrase one of my favorite comedians: "You're not supposed to do coke, beat your wife or get drunk and stumble around in public streets, you low expectation-having ************! What, you want a cookie?"

Frontman
01-11-2007, 09:39 PM
To paraphrase one of my favorite comedians: "You're not supposed to do coke, beat your wife or get drunk and stumble around in public streets, you low expectation-having ************! What, you want a cookie?"

Yeah, why is it that we dismiss bad behavior now in our society, by citing examples of WORSE behavior, as it its justified?

"Hey, yeah, I know. I shouldn't of killed that family. But look at John Wayne Gacy! Now there's a complete bastard if I ever saw one? Compared to him, I'm and angel!"

Sheesh.

Front

Brian26
01-11-2007, 09:40 PM
ESPN story is up now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2728327

soxfan13
01-12-2007, 09:49 AM

Yeah he said that after he was called on it

Luke
01-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Barry is in MLBPA, a couple years ago though, he opted out of the licensing agreement. So when ESPN, or EA Sports make agreements with the licensing arm to use the players names in video games or fantasy sports, Barry is not included...you get OF #25 instead.

ode to veeck
01-18-2007, 04:06 PM
it's only speed ...

If you haven't noticed, crank/crystal is just about the most significant drug epidemic in the US these days, with catastrophic negative personal effects for users and their victims.