PDA

View Full Version : What will replace the Atrium Bar at SoxFest?

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 11:29 PM
With the move to the Palmer House, the Hyatt Atrium Bar is obviously going to be replaced as the after hours gathering spot for fans. Do we know what that replacement will be? I suppose there are some bars at the Palmer House, but there is also Miller's Pub which is right next to the hotel's Wabash entrance.

MUsoxfan
01-10-2007, 11:32 PM
That's a pretty nice bar, but it's not open that late IIRC.

ChiSoxGirl
01-10-2007, 11:36 PM
As I mentioned here (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1455309&postcount=25) the other day, the one bar that did exist at the Palmer House closed last year. There's a place called The Big Downtown, but it doesn't look anywhere near as cool as The Big Bar.

Maybe WSIers will have to designate a meeting spot at the hotel and come to some kind of decision once we survey what's nearby and what looks like it could be the most fun. :dunno:

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Maybe WSIers will have to designate a meeting spot at the hotel and come to some kind of decision once we survey what's nearby and what looks like it could be the most fun. :dunno:

We would need to figure out where Sox personnel would go. They frequented the atrium bar before, of course.

Domeshot17
01-11-2007, 12:17 AM
yah that is kind of a big deal

ewokpelts
01-11-2007, 01:37 AM
The Big Downtown opens at 6:30 AM.(You can serve liquor at 7am) I think the Drinking Team might like that.

As for the rest of the area, there's a few bars, but nothing too trendy and hip(places players would want to go)

cbone
01-11-2007, 07:42 AM

As of last year it was open till 3:30. My buddy was a doorman at the Palmer House and would go to Miller's Pub after work. The Big Downtown is ok. As everyone said, see where the players go. :gulp:

Viva Medias B's
01-11-2007, 08:17 AM
As of last year it was open till 3:30. My buddy was a doorman at the Palmer House and would go to Miller's Pub after work. The Big Downtown is ok. As everyone said, see where the players go. :gulp:

Where Ozzie Jr. goes will be a good indication.

ChiSoxGirl
01-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Where Ozzie Jr. goes will be a good indication.

So who wants to put a tail on him for that weekend? :tongue:

Seriously though, hanging out with the players at The Big Bar was half the fun of SoxFest. We'll figure something out....

Jaffar
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM
It definately won't be Soxfest without getting drunk with current and former players. I'm in, somebody PM me or I'll just check back to this thread for a meeting spot/hangout friday night. Is anybody doing nametags this year?

roylestillman
01-11-2007, 09:16 AM

Miller's is open until 4AM. We used to go there after the old Baseball Diamond dinner that was held in mid-January.

INSox56
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
I watched us win the Championship at Miller's. :D:

their calamari is amazing

chisoxmike
01-11-2007, 10:29 AM

It's open till 4am.

KMKsuburbannoise
01-11-2007, 11:39 AM
I worked downtown for a few summers. Miller's is a nice place to go. There are a few around there but Miller's might be the place.

maurice
01-11-2007, 01:23 PM
FWIW, Miller's is Bill Veeck's old hangout.

chisoxmike
01-11-2007, 01:24 PM

Yep, there is a "Bill Veeck corner" to the bar.

skobabe8
01-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Seriously though, hanging out with the players at The Big Bar was half the fun of SoxFest. We'll figure something out....

You said it, sister! That was half the fun! The other half, well, quite frankly I'm not sure what the hell happened.

Viva Medias B's
01-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Miller's Pub would be an appropriate place, and it's now smoke free! :D:

ChiSoxGirl
01-11-2007, 10:49 PM
The other half, well, quite frankly I'm not sure what the hell happened.

That wouldn't have anything to do with fishbowl-size cosmos , now would it? :wink:

HotelWhiteSox
01-11-2007, 11:13 PM

bafia it is

Soxfanspcu11
01-11-2007, 11:59 PM

I LUUUUUUUUV Miller's!!!! It is actually one of my favorite bars/clubs in the city. I try and make it in as much as possible.

The bartenders and waitresses are also some of the most friendly around!

The one bartender, the older man (I can't remember his name) was telling me and my friends all kinds of stories about the place when we went in there prior to the Sox/flubs game @ the urinal on July 1st, 2006. (AJ's game!:smile: )

One of his most entertaining stories was how he was in that Sandra Bullock/Keanu Reeves movie, the one about the time traveling relationship, I think it was called the Lakehouse or something.

He was telling us how they used Miller's in a scene, but in the movie it wasn't called Millers, it was called something else.

They used the actual employees as extras and he got to play himself. He said that Keanu and Sandra were very nice but that the director was real headcase. He made Sandra redo the scene like 50 times and he said that she was getting pissed.

Anyway, Millers rocks! Aside from the huge collection of alcohol, the food is amazing!!! If you have never tried their blue cheese dressing, you have no clue what you are missing!!!:supernana:

skottyj242
01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
I like beer.

skobabe8
01-12-2007, 08:26 PM
That wouldn't have anything to do with fishbowl-size cosmos , now would it? :wink:

I have the sudden urge to go there tonight all of a sudden...:cool:

soxwon
01-12-2007, 08:40 PM

ask a few players-simple huh?

DumpJerry
01-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Well, Miller's is open until 4:00. The Big Downtown (in the Palmer House) closes at 2:00. I don't know how big Big Downtown is-something tells me it is a touristy type of place given its location. Unless there is a bar that is open late at the old Berghoff location, something tells me that the who's who will be at Miller's.

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Well, Miller's is open until 4:00. The Big Downtown (in the Palmer House) closes at 2:00. I don't know how big Big Downtown is-something tells me it is a touristy type of place given its location. Unless there is a bar that is open late at the old Berghoff location, something tells me that the who's who will be at Miller's.

Beef 'N Brandy has free appetizers and drink specials on Friday night. Did I also mention that free karaoke starts at 6:00? Who doesn't want to see Joe Crede sing "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"? I'm not sure when they close though...

DumpJerry
01-21-2007, 01:13 AM
Beef 'N Brandy has free appetizers and drink specials on Friday night. Did I also mention that free karaoke starts at 6:00? Who doesn't want to see Joe Crede sing "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"? I'm not sure when they close though...
What looks good for Saturday night? Should we see what happens Friday and make a real-time decision?

itsnotrequired
01-21-2007, 01:22 AM
What looks good for Saturday night? Should we see what happens Friday and make a real-time decision?

As a guy with two kids at home under the age of 16 months, Friday night is all I can swing. My plan is to go there no matter what and hang for a few hours. I'm guessing people will find Miler's and Big Downtown too crowded and look to greener pastures. Exchequer and Beef 'N Brandy will be the winners.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-21-2007, 04:52 AM
Does anyone know is any of the players at the bars would be willing to sign anything? I realize its after Soxfest, so my guess is no, but I've heard in the past that some have.

jenn2080
01-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know is any of the players at the bars would be willing to sign anything? I realize its after Soxfest, so my guess is no, but I've heard in the past that some have.

I would not bother them after Soxfest, but there are a FEW who will sign.

robiwho
01-21-2007, 04:41 PM

Almost every player will sign an autograph for you or pose for a picture at the bar. They know they're on the clock if they go into a bar filled with Sox fans. If they want to be left alone they choose to go somewhere else.

jabrch
01-21-2007, 10:50 PM
I watched us win the Championship at Miller's. :D:

their calamari is amazing

The folks that own Miller's are great people. Their BBQ Ribs rock! And they are die-hard Sox fans as well.