PDA

View Full Version : Randar...?

OfficerKarkovice
03-11-2002, 03:22 PM
What is your take on Rauch this year? You seem to have a pretty good grasp on what the status of our young players is. Do you think he will be the 5th starter out of ST? Or when should we expect to see him up?

Randar68
03-11-2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by OfficerKarkovice
What is your take on Rauch this year? You seem to have a pretty good grasp on what the status of our young players is. Do you think he will be the 5th starter out of ST? Or when should we expect to see him up?

Does he have the ability? Yes. Does the organization want to avoid rushing him? Yes.

However, the way Jerry and the catchers have been talking about him, I think, with the poor performances of Glover, Parque, etc., he has a very good shot.

If he starts in AAA and dominates, I would expect to see him take Glover's or Parque's spot. I don't think either have a long-term home in the Sox' starting rotation, but both would be, arguably, more valuable in relief roles...

He has shown that he is healthy, although his control might not yet be back to 100%...

dougs78
03-11-2002, 09:13 PM
Randar, thanks as usual for your great insight into our youngsters. I always appreciate the information you and Vic provide for the rest of us. I am just curious however as to how you garner this insight? Are you just a fan who reads alot about the young guys and goes to lots of minor league games? In other words where do you get the information? I'd be curious to know how Vic forms his opinions also.

Either way I do appreciate the information you seem to have about these guys.

Randar68
03-11-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by dougs78
Randar, thanks as usual for your great insight into our youngsters. I always appreciate the information you and Vic provide for the rest of us. I am just curious however as to how you garner this insight? Are you just a fan who reads alot about the young guys and goes to lots of minor league games? In other words where do you get the information? I'd be curious to know how Vic forms his opinions also.

Well, I read as many draft/prospect publications as I can afford. Also, since I was in College, I have been visiting some family friends in Birmingham in the summers. I usually get to see a few games a year at AA. Also, I have an uncle in central NC that goes to occassional ML games, and when I visit, I see as many as possible.

For me, I pay most of my attention to Sox prospects or to others who I have special interest in following for one reason or another. When it comes to random prospects from other Teams, Vic is the one to ask.

Vic is a stdent at UofMichigan but his student life and I believe a family home in Arizona allows him to see more games than I do. I have had some pretty random and odd conversations with random ML scouts...

pearso66
03-11-2002, 11:54 PM
id have to agree that parque would be a better fit for the bullpen. we are lookign for that lefty reliever, and with his arm being weak right now, he could come in for 1-2 maybe 3 innings in relief, and pitch better than having a noodle arm in the 5th-6th innings

kermittheefrog
03-12-2002, 12:02 AM
It's not like Kermit has a good knowledge of prospects or anything.

voodoochile
03-12-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

And here I thought green was the natural color of frogs...

delben91
03-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile

And here I thought green was the natural color of frogs...

Although, it's not easy being green

voodoochile
03-12-2002, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by delben91

Although, it's not easy being green

:kermit

on the other hand...

RichH55
03-12-2002, 02:25 AM

ahhhh...is someone not feeling the love? I still like you Kermit(in a socially acceptable manner) :o:

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by dougs78

You pretty much got it; when I get a break from school, I take in as many minor league games as I can. I have fairly easy access to most of the teams in the Midwest League. I'm able to chat with area scouts about the local high school kids, with various teams' personnel regarding prospects at the MWL and in other leagues. There's lots of downtime in between innings, and most of the scouts (especially those at the lower end of the totem pole known as low A-ball) are cordial and like answering questions.

The best experience is probably at the Arizona Fall League, since there are so many great players there, and all the longtime scouts are in attendance. The only other people in attendance are family members and autograph hounds, and I gladly paid 5 bucks a game to watch the likes of a Hank Blalock, Joe Borchard, Bobby Hill, Austin Kearns, Drew Henson, etc...while picking the brains of various MLB personnel.

Spring Training is also great; if you're strictly interested in prospects, minor league camps open mid-March usually close to where the big leaguers are; it is open to the public, and yet virtually no one shows up.

Apart from that it helps if you know someone close. I get to talk with Ryan Jorgensen's father (Jorgensen is the top catching prospect in the Cubs system) pretty regularly, and he lets me know what's going on.

The guys at BA are very accessible, so if I have a question about an obscure prospect in the Angels organization, I'll usually ask Jim Callis or Allan Simpson.

If I have a question about the ChiSox, 68 is the man I go to.

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 04:25 AM

That is also true, Kermit is in the know, and he's even got that Neyer/James/Sheehan edginess to him at no additional cost!

:)

Randar68
03-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

That is also true, Kermit is in the know, and he's even got that Neyer/James/Sheehan edginess to him at no additional cost!

:)

Good one!

Anyways. Kermit takes a much different view of prospects than do I and Vic. There is a definite difference in "scouting styles". Vic and I would definitely be considered "tools guys", although we both have that skepticism that allows us to be fairly honest about them.

I recall 2 years ago coining the phrase "deer in the headlights" describing Kip's look when he's on the mound and behind in the count. I have always loved his tools/arm, but from the start of 2000, I have always questioned his mental makeup and such.

A lot of scouting knowledge comes from getting as close to and seeing as much of a prospect as possible. I could watch 1 Cory Patterson game and rate him through the roof based on his tools, but attitude and mental toughness are immeasureables unless you can get close enough to the situation to have some insight....

Sorry, just a little ramble there!

Randar68
03-12-2002, 11:39 AM
oops, sorry, bad post...

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Randar68

Good one!

Anyways. Kermit takes a much different view of prospects than do I and Vic. There is a definite difference in "scouting styles". Vic and I would definitely be considered "tools guys", although we both have that skepticism that allows us to be fairly honest about them.

I recall 2 years ago coining the phrase "deer in the headlights" describing Kip's look when he's on the mound and behind in the count. I have always loved his tools/arm, but from the start of 2000, I have always questioned his mental makeup and such.

A lot of scouting knowledge comes from getting as close to and seeing as much of a prospect as possible. I could watch 1 Cory Patterson game and rate him through the roof based on his tools, but attitude and mental toughness are immeasureables unless you can get close enough to the situation to have some insight....

Sorry, just a little ramble there!

Definitely true, there. I could hear 5 different scouting reports tell me that Joe Borchard can handle centerfield, but going to the park, watching the jumps he gets on balls, and his ability to cover ground is what helps shape my opinion the most.

voodoochile
03-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Vsahajpal

Definitely true, there. I could hear 5 different scouting reports tell me that Joe Borchard can handle centerfield, but going to the park, watching the jumps he gets on balls, and his ability to cover ground is what helps shape my opinion the most.

So what is that opinion? Can he handle CF? This seems to be one of the biggest discussions on going on the boards, but most of us can only go on what we read and that is that he has a great arm - thus making him CF capable. What's the rest of the story?

Vsahajpal
03-12-2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

So what is that opinion? Can he handle CF? This seems to be one of the biggest discussions on going on the boards, but most of us can only go on what we read and that is that he has a great arm - thus making him CF capable. What's the rest of the story?

As I've stated before, yes I think he can handle CF. The injury clouds up the picture a bit, but if he gets back to where he was, he has the lateral, anterior, & posterior quickness to be a ML average CF...with a RF's arm.