PDA

View Full Version : Julio Ramirez, GONE!

DrCrawdad
03-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Heard at the start of the Sox broadcast, Julio Ramirez was released. So the White Sox got nothing for Jeff Abbott.

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
Heard at the start of the Sox broadcast, Julio Ramirez was released. So the White Sox got nothing for Jeff Abbott.

And your point is? What has Abbott done since leaving the Sox? He is an average player, who was taking up a roster spot.

duke of dorwood
03-11-2002, 02:16 PM
:gun

Adios

CerberusWG
03-11-2002, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that Abbott is with the Red Sox now anyways.

DrCrawdad
03-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

And your point is? What has Abbott done since leaving the Sox? He is an average player, who was taking up a roster spot.

I believe that I made a point. The Sox now got nothing for Abbott, not that Ramirez did anything last year except whiff.

Abbott has a job with the Red Sox.
Ramirez may end up signing on with another team for AAA.

Abbott was injured last year. However Jeff was still more productive than Julio.

Abbott hit .262
Ramirez hit .081

Abbott was dealt not just to clear up a roster spot. But also because the Sox have a gut of lumbering outfielders. The Sox hyped Ramirez last year as a fantastic outfielder and a speedster. In fact I remember Ramirez was getting compared to a young Sammy Sosa.

Well in the end Sox got nothing for Abbott. They should have got little more than that, IMHO.

- DrCrawdad.

ScottyTheSoxFan
03-11-2002, 03:03 PM
Chicago White Sox -- Optioned pitchers Edwin Almonte, Ryan Kohlmeier and Thomas Jacquez to Charlotte of the International League (AAA); re-assigned catchers Mark Dalesandro and Lee Evans, infielder Justin Baughman, pitchers Corwin Malone, Arnaldo Munoz, Dennis Ulacia, Brian West and outfielder Mario Valenzuela to minor league camp; released outfielder Julio Ramirez.

Lets just hope Wee Willy dosent end like this, unlikely IMHO

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 03:08 PM

Well in the end Sox got nothing for Abbott. They should have got little more than that, IMHO.

- DrCrawdad.

Julio Ramirez was worth the risk, IMO. He is a tools player, albeit a tools player who never lived up to his potential, but Jeff Abbott wasn't going to bring much in trade. I bet if that trade hadn't happened, they simply would have released Abbott.

Besides, if they desperately wanted Abbott, they could have signed him cheap as recently as a month ago.

Zednem700
03-11-2002, 03:10 PM
I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but my brother and I have always felt that Jeff Abbott looked a lot like Matt Damon. No seriously, Damon did one of those celebrity homerun hitting contests at the All Star game a few years back, and standing there in a batting helmet he bore an uncanny resemblence to Jeff Abbott. It was a running joke with us. okay maybe we're the only ones who felt this way.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 03:22 PM

I believe that I made a point. The Sox now got nothing for Abbott, not that Ramirez did anything last year except whiff.

Abbott was injured last year. However Jeff was still more productive than Julio.

Abbott hit .262
Ramirez hit .081

Abbott was dealt not just to clear up a roster spot. But also because the Sox have a gut of lumbering outfielders. The Sox hyped Ramirez last year as a fantastic outfielder and a speedster. In fact I remember Ramirez was getting compared to a young Sammy Sosa.

- DrCrawdad.

Those stats essentially mean nothing....and trading a 27(?) year old who you cant use for a tools OF who could develop is usually a good move, even if your guy doesnt pan out....Abbott is a big loss...its like the Herbert Perry deal, in the end we aren't getting much out of it and we probably shouldnt have....dealing Abbott for Ramirez is as good or better a return than we should have gotten IMO

baggio202
03-11-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by ScottyTheSoxFan
Chicago White Sox -- Optioned pitchers Edwin Almonte, Ryan Kohlmeier and Thomas Jacquez to Charlotte of the International League (AAA); re-assigned catchers Mark Dalesandro and Lee Evans, infielder Justin Baughman, pitchers Corwin Malone, Arnaldo Munoz, Dennis Ulacia, Brian West and outfielder Mario Valenzuela to minor league camp; released outfielder Julio Ramirez.

Lets just hope Wee Willy dosent end like this, unlikely IMHO

so youre telling me onan masaoka is still in camp???...oh crap..

MarqSox
03-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Zednem700
I'm new here, so forgive me if this has been discussed previously, but my brother and I have always felt that Jeff Abbott looked a lot like Matt Damon. No seriously, Damon did one of those celebrity homerun hitting contests at the All Star game a few years back, and standing there in a batting helmet he bore an uncanny resemblence to Jeff Abbott. It was a running joke with us. okay maybe we're the only ones who felt this way.

No I thought so too. Maybe we should suggest it to ESPN.com Page 2's Seperated at Birth thing.

baggio202
03-11-2002, 03:35 PM

Abbott hit .262
Ramirez hit .081

- DrCrawdad.

this is my view...is jeff abbott more valuable than the last outfielder to make the team...which will probably be brian simmons???...if he is then we got a little...myself i liked abbott as a 4th outfielder...he was never gonna be a starter but in '00 he came up with some big hits...some fans he had the key hit of '00...the walk of 2 run homer against the twinkies to beat them 4-3 right before we went on that 14 day run of playing just the indians and yankees...if we lost that game we would have lost the series to the twins and that might have sent the team into that stretch in a not so confident mind set...

abbott was nothing really special..but he did understand his role and accepted it..and he could sit for a week and still come off the bench and get a hit...you have to have players like abbott..guys who except thier roles and perform well...problem is if you get a talent better than abbott but not that much better they are gonna want to be a starter and wont accept the 4th outfield spot (ie singleton)..so you end up trading them...

the problem with the trade was not that ramirez didnt help us..but that we would have been better off just releasing abbott...ramirez was a key early on last year to our piss poor start...if ramirez wasnt in camp and broke camp with liefer instead of ramirez we probably would have had a better record than 14-29..which is what it was at the low point...there were a few games ramirez just killed us...not only with his hitting but with dropping a routine fly ball in cf...and i cant think of anything positive he did outside of making one nice throw to nail a guy at home...

if we just cut abbott loose we would have been better off

WinningUgly!
03-11-2002, 04:45 PM

Nothing for nothing! If either guy gets significant playing time on your roster, it's "uh-oh" time for you. Both guys are 4th OF's at best & will never be anything more.

SoxRulecubsdrool
03-11-2002, 05:55 PM
I wept openly when I heard the news!

TheGipper
03-11-2002, 08:03 PM
I liked Jeff Abbott but he wasn't going to play for the Sox. They tried Ramirez and it didn't work out. So what, Abbott wasn't working out either. I call it a draw.

I am kinda new here, but was wondering if anyone is done a spring training that can post some news, or observations.

I buddy of mine just got back and was at the 20-6 clubing that the Sox gave the Cubs. He is a cardinal fan so he didn't pay to attention to the Sox but really feels Hummel is a keeper. He also said the Ray Durham seemed real preoccupied with everything going on except the baseball games. He did say that the veteran players just kinda do there own thing during the games, but the Ray was always gabbing with someone on his phone.

I like Ray and and could care less about Spring Training, but Hummel appears stat wise to be doing very well. I have seen his name on a few post here, does anyone have any pictures or articles on him.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

Nothing for nothing! If either guy gets significant playing time on your roster, it's "uh-oh" time for you. Both guys are 4th OF's at best & will never be anything more.

Well if you combine the loss of both Abbott and Julio...coupled with the fact that Frank can't steal bases....We will simply never win the penant!

RichH55
03-11-2002, 08:04 PM
And speaking of nothing for nothing deals...who had March 11th in the Herbert Perry Groin Pull Pull-Off

Daver
03-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Well if you combine the loss of both Abbott and Julio...coupled with the fact that Frank can't steal bases....We will simply never win the penant!

Frank stole a base today.:redneck

RichH55
03-11-2002, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by daver

Frank stole a base today.:redneck

I retract earlier sarcasm...bring on the champaign for the inevitable pennant:)

bc2k
03-12-2002, 02:10 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't think Julio was that bad? I think he could have made a fine 4th outfielder on a contending team like the Sox were in 2001. I believe he was misused by Jerry Manuel. He was no starting player. Singleton was a plus defensively in center, Maggs was decent, and we know Carlos was poor defensively. So why couldn't Julio play left as a defensive replacement late in ballgames. He had a cannon, speed, and was a plus defensively.

Had the game gone into extra innings because Howry had pitched, we would still have Maggs' bat. If Ramirez came to bat, then Jeff Liefer could pinch-hit for him. So we wind up trading Lee's bat for Liefer's, while also getting much better defense in left field. Maybe, and I'm reaching here, Ramirez could have succeeded in that role and further develop those tools of his.

Although for 2002, Simmons and Rowand run circles around Julio so he would be expendable. But maybe he could have helped get some wins if properly used in 2001.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 02:13 AM
I don't see why we couldnt keep him in the minors....or am I missing something?

RedPinStripes
03-12-2002, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Am I the only one who doesn't think Julio was that bad? I think he could have made a fine 4th outfielder on a contending team like the Sox were in 2001.

You're kidding right?

RedPinStripes
03-12-2002, 04:32 AM
I don't see why we couldnt keep him in the minors....or am I missing something?

Let him go somewhere else. He has no shot for a few years here. Or until he can hit more then .220 in AAA.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

Let him go somewhere else. He has no shot for a few years here. Or until he can hit more then .220 in AAA.

Well that was kind of the point...with an all tools guy let him sit in the minors til he picks up hitting or else maybe he will make a good backup OF someday

bc2k
03-13-2002, 05:15 PM
On the March 13 Sox/D'backs game, I think I heard Farmer say that Abbot was released by the Marlins.

Jerry_Manuel
03-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
On the March 13 Sox/D'backs game, I think I heard Farmer say that Abbot was released by the Marlins.

He signed on with the Red Sox if I am not mistaken.

Jerry_Manuel
03-13-2002, 05:32 PM
Well that was kind of the point...with an all tools guy let him sit in the minors til he picks up hitting or else maybe he will make a good backup OF someday

There's not a place for Juilo in the minors either. Once Borchard is healthy he'll be in center, Harris will either be at 2nd or in left. Hummel might be at 2nd. Mario Valenzuela will be in right. The Sox have a ton of outfielders in the minor and major leagues.

RedPinStripes
03-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

There's not a place for Juilo in the minors either. Once Borchard is healthy he'll be in center, Harris will either be at 2nd or in left. Hummel might be at 2nd. Mario Valenzuela will be in right. The Sox have a ton of outfielders in the minor and major leagues.

That's why I don't care if he can ever learn to hit.

RichH55
03-14-2002, 12:00 AM

The upside on Mario isnt that great and I don't think he is in our future plans...when you get sent down when you are hitting .450 someone isn't your biggest fan, plus he's no spring chicken....I believe it was Daver who has siad he was up to be viewed by others

Jerry_Manuel
03-14-2002, 06:52 AM
The upside on Mario isnt that great and I don't think he is in our future plans...when you get sent down when you are hitting .450 someone isn't your biggest fan, plus he's no spring chicken....I believe it was Daver who has siad he was up to be viewed by others

That's correct, but Juilo doesn't have a future here either.

harwar
03-14-2002, 11:14 AM
I guess the day of the pure defensive outfielder is gone.Too bad.The guy couldn't hit but he was sure fun to watch in CF.If teams didn't have to produce so many runs in todays game then Julio would have been a good late-inning replacement.Lofton ain't the gazzel he used to be and his arm is a joke.Speaking as an old CF in school who played great D but couldn't hit much,i guess i'll be the only guy that will miss him.

RichH55
03-14-2002, 02:08 PM

That's correct, but Juilo doesn't have a future here either.

True enough, and I guess there is alot to be said for a GM's willingness to cut dead weight and thus cut his losses if bringing in said dead weight was doen under his watch....but how was Julio different from most "Tools" based prospects? His athletism was still the same, and his hitting just would not improve....so essentially he is akin to some many other athletes who you take a chance on because if they do put it together you have a superstar on your hands......Can I ask everyone this? How much of a difference is there between Corey Patterson and Julio Ramirez(besides Corey having much better PR people apparently)???