PDA

View Full Version : Buehrle Redux

Pete_SSAC
03-11-2002, 02:36 PM
Who do you think will become the Buehrle of 2002?

My pick is Wright (as stated in another post), but it's not like I think that Granland won't have a breakout season either. I think that it's that Garland has always expected to be a great pitcher, and it's not really a surprise. While Wright would be a surprise (like Buehrle was).

- Pete

bjmarte
03-11-2002, 02:42 PM
I wen't on record a long time ago as being on the Jon Garland bandwagon and I am staying on it.

Clarkdog
03-11-2002, 02:46 PM
Feel the same about Garland. I think he'll have a good year.

But I think that Rauch is going to make the staff, or he'll find himself in the #5 starting position at some point this season. The way Manuel has been talking about him, you would think his mind is made up. He may just be posturing to keep the competition level high among the other pitchers, who knows. But I think if Rauch gets his chance, he's not going to allow himself to go back to Charlotte.

bjmarte
03-11-2002, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Clarkdog
Feel the same about Garland. I think he'll have a good year.

But I think that Rauch is going to make the staff, or he'll find himself in the #5 starting position at some point this season. The way Manuel has been talking about him, you would think his mind is made up. He may just be posturing to keep the competition level high among the other pitchers, who knows. But I think if Rauch gets his chance, he's not going to allow himself to go back to Charlotte.

I agree mostly. I think he will wind up in the rotation somtime this year but I'm not sure that he will start out there.

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 03:11 PM
I am leaning more and more toward keeping Rauch on the big club. Put him, Garland and Wright ALL in the starting lineup and move Parque to the pen. The Sox won't be seriously challanged this year for the division, IMO and next year they will reap the payoff of their experience.

duke of dorwood
03-11-2002, 03:23 PM
Glover has been awful-that could happen

foulkesfan11
03-11-2002, 04:15 PM
Glover wasn't awful last year. He did pretty good every time I saw him.

I think Rausch will br better though!

pearso66
03-11-2002, 11:51 PM
i hate to say it, even though id like to see rauch in the big leagues, if we rush him, even though its a lock for the central, if he starts to get banged around, he could lose his confidence just like kip wells. ok i know, im gonna get ragged for this

Chisox_cali
03-11-2002, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
Glover wasn't awful last year. He did pretty good every time I saw him.

I think Rausch will br better though!

Dont mean to be a stickler but there is no 'S' is RAUCH :D:

doublem23
03-11-2002, 11:57 PM
While I don't think anyone will have a Burly-esque 2002, Garland will have the breakout season on the Sox's staff this year.

:chimp
That's White Sock staff.

VeeckAsInWreck
03-12-2002, 02:27 AM
I voted for Garland. Simply because, He's been on the team for 2 years and with the good spring he's having, Jon will finally put it all together this year.

:cleo

"I see 17 wins for a young pitcher with the initals J.G."

RichH55
03-12-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck
I voted for Garland. Simply because, He's been on the team for 2 years and with the good spring he's having, Jon will finally put it all together this year.

:cleo

"I see 17 wins for a young pitcher with the initals J.G."

Garland sounds like the real choice to me...but does a contender counting on Garland to be the 3rd starter kind of worry you?

VeeckAsInWreck
03-12-2002, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by RichH55

Garland sounds like the real choice to me...but does a contender counting on Garland to be the 3rd starter kind of worry you?

Not at all! Garland is a good young pitcher with awesome stuff. Anaheim was willing to trade Darin Erstad for him. So I guess I'm not the only one who has a high opinion of Jon.
Yeah I was dissapointed that we didn't land Erstad but, I was glad we didn't trade Garland. If he has a good or hopefully a great season we will have 3 things to stick to sCrUB fans this year.
1. A Division Title......YEEEESSSS! :D:
2. The Crosstown Series :gulp:
3. The fact that they got Matt Karchner for him! :D:

RichH55
03-12-2002, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by VeeckAsInWreck

Not at all! Garland is a good young pitcher with awesome stuff. Anaheim was willing to trade Darin Erstad for him. So I guess I'm not the only one who has a high opinion of Jon.
Yeah I was dissapointed that we didn't land Erstad but, I was glad we didn't trade Garland. If he has a good or hopefully a great season we will have 3 things to stick to sCrUB fans this year.
1. A Division Title......YEEEESSSS! :D:
2. The Crosstown Series :gulp:
3. The fact that they got Matt Karchner for him! :D:

I do like the Cub factor, but we will have to see...eventually we will need to pull a deal based around our young pitching to get to that next step

pearso66
03-12-2002, 09:21 AM
last i heard, wasnt the erstad deal also to contain carlos lee? i mean he's no great outfielder, but thats a bat they could use in that lineup

Jerry_Manuel
03-12-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by pearso66
last i heard, wasnt the erstad deal also to contain carlos lee? i mean he's no great outfielder, but thats a bat they could use in that lineup

The Erstad deal was Garland, Singleton and 2 minor leaguers for Erstad. Gammons reported the 2 minor leaguers were Brian West, and Edwin Almonte.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by pearso66

C Lee has alot more trade value than Singleton....I think you will see one of our pitching prospects and Lee dealt next offseason it waht shpould be a pretty significant deal

Daver
03-12-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

C Lee has alot more trade value than Singleton....I think you will see one of our pitching prospects and Lee dealt next offseason it waht shpould be a pretty significant deal

He has trade value to another AL team,I doubt his value to an NL team.

KempersRS
03-12-2002, 06:12 PM
The polls lacks a "None of the above" option. Let's face it, Buehrle came out of no where to be one of the top 5 pitchers in the league. Thats not the kind of thing you expect to see every year, not even every 20 years for that matter.

Jerry_Manuel
03-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
The polls lacks a "None of the above" option. Let's face it, Buehrle came out of no where to be one of the top 5 pitchers in the league. Thats not the kind of thing you expect to see every year, not even every 20 years for that matter.

The "next Buehrle" doesn't have to be a world beater like Mark was in 2001. I think what Pete is asking is who in the above list will have an unexpected great year.

AsInWreck
03-12-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Glover has been awful-that could happen

I went to the game glover last pitched on sunday, and his line was bad but he didn't really look bad, most of the hits he gave up were weakly hit and just bounded through a hole. I'm not worried about the Glove. My pick for breakout year is wright, though.

Pete_SSAC
03-12-2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

The "next Buehrle" doesn't have to be a world beater like Mark was in 2001. I think what Pete is asking is who in the above list will have an unexpected great year.

Bingo. Of course you won't have a Buehrle per season. If we did, we wouldn't be making a big deal about what he (Buehrle) did last season. I'm just saying who will have an unexpectiably big season.

- Pete