PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Championship Banner: Should I Stay or Should I Go?

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 08:12 AM
With the Sox now a year removed from their 2005 championship, should the large banner on the exterior of the stadium facing the Dan Ryan which indicates as such be removed for the start of the 2007 season?

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-08-2007, 08:15 AM
We'd all be peeved if the previous WS champ left their banner hanging on their park, so I think we should show respect to the Cards and take it down.

jenn2080
01-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Why? We are still 2005 WS Champs. That does not change because another team won.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Why? We are still 2005 WS Champs. That does not change because another team won.

I say it should come down but not necessarily out of respect for the Cardinals. It just seems a little silly to have such a giant banner up for something that will have happened a couple seasons ago.

I'm a little torn about the one on the light standard in LF.

hi im skot
01-08-2007, 08:40 AM
I say it should come down but not necessarily out of respect for the Cardinals. It just seems a little silly to have such a giant banner up for something that will have happened a couple seasons ago.

I'm a little torn about the one on the light standard in LF.

The one on the outside facing the Ryan should probably come down. However, the one in LF should stay; basketball and football teams leave their banners in the rafters permanently...I don't see how this case is any different.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
The one on the outside facing the Ryan should probably come down. However, the one in LF should stay; basketball and football teams leave their banners in the rafters permanently...I don't see how this case is any different.

No doubt the Sox should leave a banner of some type up in the stadium to remember the 2005 season but I question the size. The giant banner in LF is okay for now but I think it should eventually be replaced with a smaller banner. Sort of like basketball teams that have a giant banner for a championship from the year before but then replace it the next year with a banner the same size as their previous championship banners.

sox1970
01-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Yeah, take it down and work on getting one for the 2007 championship.

RedHeadPaleHoser
01-08-2007, 09:01 AM
When I stated taking it down, I meant only the one that hangs on the exterior of the park. The one inside stays forever....until the 2007 banner is made.

mwc44
01-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Don't take it down... yet. Leave it up for one more season to see if it brings the hunger back. The banners they unveiled on Opening Night last year... they stay up forever, just as the Bulls banners remain... until they need to be "updated" (hopefully, on Opening Night, 2008).

01-08-2007, 09:43 AM
I think they need to add 1917 to it as well if they are going to keep it up!! I voted to take it down, it just looks tacky to me in 2007. The ones inside the park should and will remain forever. If they want it back up, win it again! 2006 was our year to stick our chests out and brag.

The Dude
01-08-2007, 09:43 AM
With the Sox now a year removed from their 2005 championship, should the large banner on the exterior of the stadium facing the Dan Ryan which indicates as such be removed for the start of the 2007 season?

No, but I think the the plight of women in this hemisphere is deplorable! I can bench-press 800 pounds! You, me and Coltrane till dawn! :tongue: Giggity Miller!

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 09:45 AM
No, but I think the the plight of women in this hemisphere is deplorable! I can bench-press 800 pounds! You, me and Coltrane till dawn! :tongue: Giggity Miller!

:?:

The Dude baffles me once again...

The Dude
01-08-2007, 09:48 AM
:?:

The Dude baffles me once again...

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Eraza/pwned-facekick.jpg
Miller on the left, Dude on the right!

Jaffar
01-08-2007, 09:49 AM
I say they take it down and have it for sale for me to buy at the garage sale in a couple weeks!!! That's only teal because it wouldn't fit on my wall framed.

The Dude
01-08-2007, 09:52 AM
But in all seriousness, why take it down unless they have something else to replace it? In Chicago we still celebrate the Bears Super Bowl XX victory as though it was yesterday. We even had that coin collection last year in the sun times for the 85 Bears. I don't see a problem with keeping it up.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 09:56 AM
But in all seriousness, why take it down unless they have something else to replace it? In Chicago we still celebrate the Bears Super Bowl XX victory as though it was yesterday. We even had that coin collection last year in the sun times for the 85 Bears. I don't see a problem with keeping it up.

Is there a giant banner celebrating the 1985 championship hanging outside Soldier Field?

The Dude
01-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Is there a giant banner celebrating the 1985 championship hanging outside Soldier Field?

There should be!:D:

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 10:27 AM
There should be!:D:

I guess that reinforces my point about the giant exterior banner outside the stadium. How long is it appropriate to keep it up? Just the year after the championship? 5 years? 10 years?

:dunno:

I want Mags back
01-08-2007, 12:44 PM
the outside banner needs to go

eastchicagosoxfan
01-08-2007, 01:12 PM

Super Bowl XX? You mean there have been 20 more Super Bowls since the Bears won it?

esbrechtel
01-08-2007, 01:20 PM
i dont remember entirely and correct me if i am wrong dont the LA angels of anihiem have home of the 2002 world series champions painted on top of their dugout...i thought they had it up during the playoffs in 2005, but i cant seem to find a good picture online...ill keep looking

chisoxmike
01-08-2007, 01:26 PM
They should take off the outside banner, but keep the inside one up in some form. Yes, 2005 was a historic year, but we can't keep living in the past. We can't keep going "Remember '05?" or "How about those '05 Sox." Like people do with the '85 Bears. It's pathetic. There's MORE to achieve!!!

sox1970
01-08-2007, 01:28 PM
They should take off the outside banner, but keep the inside one up in some form. Yes, 2005 was a historic year, but we can't keep living in the past. We can't keep going "Remember '05?" or "How about those '05 Sox." Like people do with the '85 Bears. It's pathetic. There's MORE to achieve!!!

Agree 100%.

HITMEN OF 77
01-08-2007, 01:46 PM
We're going to have to take it down anyway, and put up the 2007 WS Champs banner.

ewokpelts
01-08-2007, 02:30 PM
No doubt the Sox should leave a banner of some type up in the stadium to remember the 2005 season but I question the size. The giant banner in LF is okay for now but I think it should eventually be replaced with a smaller banner. Sort of like basketball teams that have a giant banner for a championship from the year before but then replace it the next year with a banner the same size as their previous championship banners.the bulls banners never changed in size

cws05champ
01-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I think we should only have it up for the 3 games against the Cubs...just to hear the Cubs fans whine about it and tell us to stop living in the past.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
I think we should only have it up for the 3 games against the Cubs...just to hear the Cubs fans whine about it and tell us to stop living in the past.

:rolleyes:

If that's the case, I'd rather have it up for just the Indians games to remind them how close they got that year but just couldn't seal the deal.

CaptainBallz
01-08-2007, 03:55 PM
It comes down.

They can keep something a bit more subtle on the outside like the years of their championships and what not, but not the huge sign.

And yes, to make room for '07!

palehozenychicty
01-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Thank you. Look forward, not back.

The Dude
01-09-2007, 03:17 AM

Yeah....hopefull that was supposed to be in teal. Otherwise a triple shot of :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dolanski
01-09-2007, 03:41 AM
I think they need to add 1917 to it as well if they are going to keep it up!! I voted to take it down, it just looks tacky to me in 2007. The ones inside the park should and will remain forever. If they want it back up, win it again! 2006 was our year to stick our chests out and brag.

80 plus years. I think we have earned the right to be tacky for a bit longer. Also, in this city, I think we have earned the right to brag for a bit longer as well seeing as there haven't been too many championships as of late (ARENA Football does not count)

RadioheadRocks
01-09-2007, 03:48 AM
I guess that reinforces my point about the giant exterior banner outside the stadium. How long is it appropriate to keep it up? Just the year after the championship? 5 years? 10 years?

:dunno:

When I first visited Royals Stadium in 1992 (yep, that's what it was called back then), the big KC logo facing the freeway (the outside of their scoreboard) still had a sign on it reading "1985 World Champions". It's been years since I've been there so I'm not sure whether it's still there or not, but FWIW there's a prime example of one that was still present seven full years after their title.

HotelWhiteSox
01-09-2007, 04:46 AM
I would just make a new one that lists the other two years as well

1951Campbell
01-09-2007, 09:02 AM

What he said.

Frontman
01-09-2007, 09:11 AM
I would say that it should come down, as we are no longer reigning champions. Now, if we win in 2007, how about even a BIGGER banner, one that can easily cover a house! :D:

tick53
01-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Here Here!

btrain929
01-09-2007, 11:58 AM
since it says '05 WS Champs, and not just WS Champs, it shouldnt bother the cards. and personally, if it took us 80+ years to win a WS, i say leave it up and let it live a little. obviously winning another will easily solve this problem so we can edit it to make it a 05/07 champs. hopefully that will be somewhat possible if buerhle/anderson/pods get their act together and the young powerful bullpen pitches to at least 75% of their potential, if not better.

thomas35forever
01-09-2007, 12:16 PM
If we take it down, where are we going to show that we won it all?

batmanZoSo
01-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I say take it down. I never liked that cheap sign anyway. I thought they could've done a better job than that.

And of course, let's get another one.

Foulke You
01-09-2007, 02:10 PM
The one inside on the light standard should stay. The one facing the expressway should be altered to celebrate all the World Series White Sox teams. Something like "World Series Champions-1906,1917,2005"

To the people who want to take both down, c'mon folks, we waited 88 years for this title and you want to hide it? Be proud of it! I'm all for adding more World Series flags in '07 and beyond but we aren't the Yankees and have 26 championships. '05 wasn't just another title in Chicago. It was an end to 88 years of misery. Celebrate it!

Andy T Clown
01-09-2007, 09:52 PM
The one inside on the light standard should stay. The one facing the expressway should be altered to celebrate all the World Series White Sox teams. Something like "World Series Champions-1906,1917,2005"

To the people who want to take both down, c'mon folks, we waited 88 years for this title and you want to hide it? Be proud of it! I'm all for adding more World Series flags in '07 and beyond but we aren't the Yankees and have 26 championships. '05 wasn't just another title in Chicago. It was an end to 88 years of misery. Celebrate it!

That works for me!:D:

soxinem1
01-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, take it down and work on getting one for the 2007 championship.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/uploads/post-1340-1123609321.jpg

'Yer dad gum right about that one, Feisty!'

BRDSR
01-10-2007, 01:37 AM
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/%7Eraza/pwned-facekick.jpg
Miller on the left, Dude on the right!

I think I'm supposed to get this, because I'm a college kid and it seems like something college kids think is cool, but can someone PLEASE explain "pwned" to me? It is used in the context of "owned" but...with a p.

Banner on exterior should come down. If not before the 2007 season, when? What if we had a huge banner facing the Dan Ryan that read "1917 WS Champs!" for 88 years? That would be lame.

skobabe8
01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Take it down. If it was our only championship in franchise history (Angels) I'd want to keep it up. But having the banners only inside the park says to me that this is a franchise that expects to win more in the future, not just dwell on a magical season of the past.

soxfan13
01-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I agree with itsnotrequired the banner outside should be taken down. Before the 2005 series we didnt have a banner out there for everyone to see that we were 1917 World Series champs

itsnotrequired
01-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I agree with itsnotrequired the banner outside should be taken down. Before the 2005 series we didnt have a banner out there for everyone to see that we were 1917 World Series champs

I'm just glad it generated so much discussion! Perhaps I should have worded the question a little clearer as some of the responses seem to indicate people think I'm talking about the banner inside the park.

ChicagoHoosier
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Yep - old news. We're the White Sox, no longer the World Champion White Sox. While the banners inside the stadium should remain forever, the one on the Dan Ryan can come down.

nasox
01-10-2007, 05:27 PM
bigt468 (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=8473), DaleJRFan (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=4086), daveeym (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=2011), Harold4ever (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=1166), Roof Shot (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=4455), The Dude (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=5417)

are trolls :dtroll:

zach074
01-10-2007, 05:33 PM
It took way to long to earn that to take it down already.

hsnterprize
01-11-2007, 06:54 AM

That's more of what I was thinking when I voted to "keep the banner up." Alter it somehow to show the years of the Sox championships.

Definitely keep the banner in the park up...if other teams can have their past championship banners hanging in their stadiums, why not us?

The Racehorse
01-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I think I'm supposed to get this, because I'm a college kid and it seems like something college kids think is cool, but can someone PLEASE explain "pwned" to me? It is used in the context of "owned" but...with a p.

When I saw your question, I was thinking the same thing. Since nobody else offered an explanation, and if you haven't already done so, I googled it.

Here's the urban dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned) definition... and here's the wikipedia (http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Pwn) defintion.