PDA

View Full Version : New round of cuts...

TimChamp
03-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Well, looks like Mario Mania was short-lived and hey! guess who was released??? Julio Ramirez...no more .081 batting in the lineup... :)

Here's the link to the whole article...
12 players cut, means 39 remain... (http://www.chicagosports.com/whitesox/content/story/0,1984,177461,00.html)

Check it out and tell me what you guys think... :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-11-2002, 01:01 PM
"...and Ramirez, who was on the teamís Opening Day roster last spring and played in 13 games before being optioned to Charlotte, was released."

I guess the Julio Ramirez era is over. :cool:

:gun
"Oh, woe is me. What will become of my WSI tag!"

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 01:03 PM
I figured Mario didn't have a shot. I'm relieved that the salad-shooter was cut.

MattSharp
03-11-2002, 01:16 PM
What about Ryan Kohlmeier? Didn't Jerry or Kenny or someone say that he was gonna be a huge addition and very useful and blah blah. And he gets cut already huh? Haha, that sounds like typical ChiSox mentality....

RichH55
03-11-2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
What about Ryan Kohlmeier? Didn't Jerry or Kenny or someone say that he was gonna be a huge addition and very useful and blah blah. And he gets cut already huh? Haha, that sounds like typical ChiSox mentality....

What did he cost again? Nothing? Low risk, high reward proposition...if he didn't pan out we didn't lose anything...at least we are cutting our losses early on him

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

What did he cost again? Nothing? Low risk, high reward proposition...if he didn't pan out we didn't lose anything...at least we are cutting our losses early on him

I'm glad they didn't waste any time on him. I was afraid they were going to get bright ideas with him.

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
"...and Ramirez, who was on the teamís Opening Day roster last spring and played in 13 games before being optioned to Charlotte, was released."

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! Now JM has one less option... In his case, you really only want to give him so many choices. Preferably make most of the bench players one-dimensional, so he cannot tinker too much.

Later, Julio... unfortunately we knew ye too well...

TimChamp
03-11-2002, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! Now JM has one less option... In his case, you really only want to give him so many choices. Preferably make most of the bench players one-dimensional, so he cannot tinker too much.

Later, Julio... unfortunately we knew ye too well...

Next in line to release would be the versatility of Josh Paul! :D:

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by TimChamp

Next in line to release would be the versatility of Josh Paul! :D:

Much as I rip on Paul, I don't want to see him cut. He at least has some trade value, not much, but he could be a throw in to a team looking for a backup. Besides, with Alomar constantly one bad crouch from the DL, the Sox should have as many experienced options as they can.

TimChamp
03-11-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

Much as I rip on Paul, I don't want to see him cut. He at least has some trade value, not much, but he could be a throw in to a team looking for a backup. Besides, with Alomar constantly one bad crouch from the DL, the Sox should have as many experienced options as they can.

True, true, but we HAVE to get RID of him somehow before he takes away a roster spot again from someone who deservedly needs it... :angry:

duke of dorwood
03-11-2002, 03:21 PM
There is too much mediocre catching in baseball to let Mr Versatile go. He actually has some value.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
There is too much mediocre catching in baseball to let Mr Versatile go. He actually has some value.

Catching is the blackhole of Baseball....Just look here in Chicago...two teams, two systems, not one good Catcher.....just a hard position to fill

foulkesfan11
03-11-2002, 04:17 PM
What's Officer Karkovice doing these days?

OfficerKarkovice
03-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by foulkesfan11
What's Officer Karkovice doing these days?

I'm right here... :D:

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I'm surprised they didn't try to make him a pitcher. If they are thinking about doing that with Delaero why not Juilo?

DrCrawdad
03-11-2002, 06:41 PM

Catching is the blackhole of Baseball....Just look here in Chicago...two teams, two systems, not one good Catcher.....just a hard position to fill

I disagree.

The Sox have two good catchers - Mark Johnson & Miguel Olivo. The Cubs have a White Sox cast off Robert Machado. Machado is a good catcher, just not much of a hitter.

However, I do agree with you in that there is a dearth of catching talent around. Not that Josh Paul is much of a catching talent, but I'd like to see the White Sox get something for Josh in a trade.

- DrCrawdad.

Daver
03-11-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I disagree.

The Sox have two good catchers - Mark Johnson & Miguel Olivo. The Cubs have a White Sox cast off Robert Machado. Machado is a good catcher, just not much of a hitter.

However, I do agree with you in that there is a dearth of catching talent around. Not that Josh Paul is much of a catching talent, but I'd like to see the White Sox get something for Josh in a trade.

- DrCrawdad.

Olivo doesn't hit any better than Machado.

KempersRS
03-11-2002, 07:52 PM
Mario should have made it, he would have been the Herbert Perry of 2002. It had all the makings...

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Mario should have made it, he would have been the Herbert Perry of 2002. It had all the makings...

Only problem is that Perry started in 2000, Mario wouldn't be.

KempersRS
03-11-2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

Only problem is that Perry started in 2000, Mario wouldn't be.

True, but Mario has the same kind of career that Perry did. Both looked like career minor leaguers, had huge springs with BA. and homers. I would have liked him off the bench big time. Could have been his one season to shine.

Daver
03-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Valezuela was borough to camp as a non roster invitee to showcase his skills for trade purposes,he never had a chance of making the team.

RichH55
03-11-2002, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by daver
Valezuela was borough to camp as a non roster invitee to showcase his skills for trade purposes,he never had a chance of making the team.

Yeah but Daver, by now Mario and Wee Willie are both the 2nd Coming! How can you argue with the bastion of intrigity that is Chicago Sports Journalism?!?!?

RichH55
03-11-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad

I disagree.

- DrCrawdad.

What I mean is a complete good ballplayer.....If Mark Johnson, Machado, and Olivio are all mentioned right now as good catchers than that just shows you the absolute dearth of talent there..>Catcher is a blackhole in Chicago...North and South

baggio202
03-11-2002, 09:56 PM

What I mean is a complete good ballplayer.....If Mark Johnson, Machado, and Olivio are all mentioned right now as good catchers than that just shows you the absolute dearth of talent there..>Catcher is a blackhole in Chicago...North and South

i think mark johnson has a chance to be an all around catcher..he has an above average arm...is quick behind the plate..runs very well for a catcher..excellent bunter and hit and run man...draws his share of walks...the only thing he hasnt done was hit for average...but he hasnt played everyday either...i think if we gave him 2 seasons of playing everyday..he could develop into a pretty good all around catcher...

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by baggio202

i think mark johnson has a chance to be an all around catcher..he has an above average arm...is quick behind the plate..runs very well for a catcher..excellent bunter and hit and run man...draws his share of walks...the only thing he hasnt done was hit for average...but he hasnt played everyday either...i think if we gave him 2 seasons of playing everyday..he could develop into a pretty good all around catcher...

Exactly... the Sox refuse to admit that Johnson is the best catcher in the organization. This will be the third year that they will try to find an alternative (2003 will probably be the fourth) and every year, Mark Johnson proves that they are making a mistake.

Lip Man 1
03-11-2002, 10:19 PM
Folks:

I think Machado signed a two year deal with (who else?) the Yankees over the Winter. he has a good shot to back up Posada.

Lip

czalgosz
03-11-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

I think Machado signed a two year deal with (who else?) the Yankees over the Winter. he has a good shot to back up Posada.

Lip

The Yankees have a hole (one of their very few) at backup catcher. Todd Greene and Joe Oliver were given chances last season, which shows you where they are. If Posada ever goes down for any length of time, the Yankees will be in trouble.

RichH55
03-12-2002, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by baggio202

I'll give you his good points, though I think you might overplay how well he runs(especially considering the easiest reference point is Paul), but the negatives aren't just hitting for average...its hitting for average and power, and he hits so poorly for average that his walks don't really overcome that.......strictly speaking he is a poor hitter, so to classify him as a good catcher(not just defensively) seems off the mark to me

RichH55
03-12-2002, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

Exactly... the Sox refuse to admit that Johnson is the best catcher in the organization. This will be the third year that they will try to find an alternative (2003 will probably be the fourth) and every year, Mark Johnson proves that they are making a mistake.

Being the best catcher in the org. doesn't say much and I don't think he has been the best option for 3 years....so when you had CJ having his career year here and Forydyce coming off promising numbers that didn't strike you as a pretty damn good alternative to the .210-.220 MJ was hitting then?