PDA

View Full Version : Big Unit to receive $26 million over 2 years

caulfield12
01-07-2007, 06:13 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-bbo-johnson-trade,1,568486.story?coll=sns-ap-sports-headlines

That's the MINIMUM Buehrle's going to get...but we have to hope it will be higher, that means he had a good season and we probably went to the playoffs at least.

crazyozzie02
01-08-2007, 12:11 AM
why did the d-backs pony-up this kind of money? this whole trade kinda confuses me, but i dont waste my time with the yankees, so i wouldnt know to begin with if it did make any sense

mcp5185
01-08-2007, 01:13 AM
why did the d-backs pony-up this kind of money? this whole trade kinda confuses me, but i dont waste my time with the yankees, so i wouldnt know to begin with if it did make any sense

From what I've heard Johnson was very popular in Arizona and after him and Schilling left fans got upset. Also, the NL West is weak, and with Johnson and Webb at the front of their rotation they could potentially make the playoffs.

KRS1
01-08-2007, 05:21 AM
I dont see the big fuss about him getting big money. 16 of that is this years deal, which was given to him by NY. It's not as if the Dbacks gave him 13 each of the next two seasons, and even if they did, it's a bargain on this insane market. 10 mil for RJ next year is way below market value, back and knee questions or not. I know a couple of my friends down here expect him to be a big addition as a veteran who will lift this teams pitching, and a leader for the youth infusion. If Randy's on, him and Webb make a formidable front of the rotation, and with the weak NL, they may only need the two of them to perform to contend. If him, Davis, and Livan bounce back, they will surprise a lot of people.

itsnotrequired
01-08-2007, 05:50 AM

The Yankees are sending over $2 million as part of the deal but still, that's a lot of money. He'll make $7.5 million in 2007 ($4 million salary plus $3.5 million bonus (Yankees kick in $2 million)) and $10.5 million in 2008 ($10 million plus $500k bonus).

The bonus actually extends into 2009 and 2010 where he will earn $4 million each of those years, regardless of whether or not he is pitching.