PDA

View Full Version : Other Fans Opinions of the Sox

Corlose 15
01-07-2007, 01:14 AM
I've been reading through a few of those other teams websites by using those links in talking baseball and a common theme that I'm seeing is that everyone thinks the Sox are going to seriously fall off the pace next year.

Tigers fans think its their division to lose and the Sox won't even challenge, Twins fans think it'll be between them and the Tigers with possibly the Indians challenging and even Yankee fans aren't worried about playing the Sox next year.

Anyways, this got me thinking. What are the odds that the media national or otherwise (we already know what the Chicago media thinks :D: ) will begin to peg the Sox for a droppoff and maybe pick them 3rd or 4th in the division this year? There's nothing I'd like to see more than a pissed off Sox in 07' with a chip on their shoulder.

CWSpalehoseCWS
01-07-2007, 01:32 AM
You mean we're the underdogs again? Hmmmmm, this seems very familiar... 2005 perhaps?

QCIASOXFAN
01-07-2007, 01:34 AM
There's nothing I'd like to see more than a pissed off Sox in 07' with a chip on their shoulder. Thats what I'm hoping for. Besides last year, the media or the magazines would always pick us 2, 3 or 4th to finish in the division anyway. Not that big of a deal. As for other people on different team sites saying that we are weak, they can just go just go **** thereselves. :dunno:

oeo
01-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Why do people think we've gotten worse? We've lost one starting pitcher, and improved our bullpen immensely (probably the biggest hole in the 2006 squad). I hardly see a dropoff...they underachieved their way to 90 wins last year.

23Ventura
01-07-2007, 01:42 AM
The national media can think whatever the hell they want. We've seen time and time again that they aren't often right.

The way I look at it, we've only lost 1 guy of any significance, and that's Garcia. Neal Cotts was terrible last year, Ross Gload was solid off the bench, but still just a bench player. McCarthy may end up being a solid starting pitcher some day, but didn't have a major effect on last year's win total.

We've gained Aardsma and Sisco, which should improve our bullpen. We also have a whole bunch of pitching prospects now that can compete for the final starting spot, or possibly a spot in the pen.

So basically, we've lost one starter and strengthened our bullpen. I don't see that causing a major dropoff.

TheOldRoman
01-07-2007, 01:58 AM
Well, there are a lot of idiots in the world. If you ask probably 25% of the people on this site, you will get the same answers as from Twins fans. I can rehash how the Sox improved the bullpen big time, how the rotation will rebound, etc, but it's all been done. The imbecile Twins and Tigers fans can go **** themselves. The Mariottis of the world can go **** themselves. They can pile on the Sox all they want now, and then think of excuses not to eat crow later. Even though the Sox improved their team while nobody except maybe the Tigers did (and the Twins took two huge steps back), I know that not a single "expert" will pick us to finish above 3rd. I am glad there is no BCS for baseball.
We will prove it on the field.

WhiteSox5187
01-07-2007, 03:03 AM
This is why we play the games people. Let 'em talk all they want now, we'll shut 'em up on the field.

dcb56
01-07-2007, 03:52 AM
I hate using this, but seriously...

:whocares

...what fans of other teams think of the Sox. $10 says a lot of the people who post here think the Twins are going to fall apart next season, feel there's no possible way the Tigers will not come remotely close to performing as well as they did last season, and are dreaming over the thought of the Yankees losing 90+ games despite their $200mil+ payroll. It should come as no surprsie that fans on other message boards are able to come up with reasons why they think their rivals will suck.

As for the national media, when was the last time they didn't pick us to finish 3rd or worse? If they do it again this year it'll be the same old song and dance, which (surprise, surprise) again, should come as no surprise.

caulfield12
01-07-2007, 05:14 AM
Well, there are a lot of idiots in the world. If you ask probably 25% of the people on this site, you will get the same answers as from Twins fans. I can rehash how the Sox improved the bullpen big time, how the rotation will rebound, etc, but it's all been done. The imbecile Twins and Tigers fans can go **** themselves. The Mariottis of the world can go **** themselves. They can pile on the Sox all they want now, and then think of excuses not to eat crow later. Even though the Sox improved their team while nobody except maybe the Tigers did (and the Twins took two huge steps back), I know that not a single "expert" will pick us to finish above 3rd. I am glad there is no BCS for baseball.
We will prove it on the field.

I think the Indians MIGHT be a little better with some more veteran stability in their bullpen, Barfield, a more mature Sowers, a rebound from Cliff Lee and more experience for Marte, Peralta and the meddlesome Ryan Garko.

PeteWard
01-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Detroit will not win more than 90.

Twins between 90-95.

Indians will not be over .500

Sox? It could go either way next year but I predict between 90-95 and a very close three team race.

RadioheadRocks
01-07-2007, 06:11 AM
Like their opinion MATTERS!!!

caulfield12
01-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Detroit will not win more than 90.

Twins between 90-95.

Indians will not be over .500

Sox? It could go either way next year but I predict between 90-95 and a very close three team race.

Ummm...why would the Twins possibly be better without Liriano and Radke for an entire season?

These are their starters after Santana: Silva, Garza, Baker, Bonser or Ponson. I doubt even Minnesota can overcome those odds.

Myrtle72
01-07-2007, 08:15 AM
Being the underdogs in 2005 seemed to work out well... so, who cares? Perhaps the negative media attention will help the Sox, you never know.

ode to veeck
01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Why do people think we've gotten worse? We've lost one starting pitcher, and improved our bullpen immensely (probably the biggest hole in the 2006 squad). I hardly see a dropoff...they underachieved their way to 90 wins last year.

talking to other fans, there's a common misconception the '05 Sox all had career years vs the reality that the '06 Sox woulda been back but for the lack of a bullpen

Domeshot17
01-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I really hope the bullpen is improved. I just don't know. Aardsma, Sisco are both huge question marks. Massett should help out, but I jus't want to see these kids improve before I think the bullpen is "fixed" or not. We also need Jenks to come back in shape, and be able to do it for an entire season. We can't have him fall off late in the year.

I think other teams are right to question us. If everything goes right we can win between 92-100 games easy, but if things don't go as smoothly as we think, we could be looking down an 85 win team.

That being said, I don't think Kenny is done, I think he will fill one more hole maybe 2 during spring training.

We knew this was going to be how it was when Kenny made the types of trades he did. Some would continue their all Kenny touches is gold thinking, some would over react then settle down, some would reserve judgement, some would freak out, some would jump off the bandwagon and some would give up all hope. Writers would praise him or cut him to shreads, and fans of other teams look at it and say "they lose an 18 game winner for a guy with a 7 era. They lose Cotts for a guy who can't throw a strike. They pick up some kid from Kansas City who's era was huge. They don't always get it.

This is a 4 team race. Anyone who thinks the Tigers won't keep winning with that pitching is nuts. Minnesota has a solid young core of pitching, and they won last year without Liriano in the 2nd half and a healthy Radke. Minnesota will find a way to win 90+, you know they will because they always do. Cleveland has a great young core of players and while the pitching is a question mark, any lineup that has the likes of Hafner Sizemore Victor Martinez and the rest of that core is solid. You can't count them out.

ilsox7
01-07-2007, 03:16 PM
If everything goes right we can win between 92-100 games easy, but if things don't go as smoothly as we think, we could be looking down an 85 win team.

Name one contender that this statement does not apply to.

cws05champ
01-07-2007, 03:19 PM
I think that most fans, just pay attention to what their team is doing and the specifics of their deals. They just hear the headlines for the Sox in the offseason and all they see is that the Sox traded Garcia for less than value, and McCarthy for prospects. Since the Sox have not made any headlines with big names in the BP, or other parts they just assume the Sox are rebuilding a bit and will fall off....not really looking at all the BP arms that nobody but the heartest fantasy geeks know.
I don't expect fans of other teams to look into the specifics of the deals and see the stud prospects we received. Are we overrating some of the arms we received...possibly. But we will not know until they start playing.

Let them think what they want, but I think it is the rare fan(small percentage) that roots for a certain team that really follows other teams moves and understands them in the whole context of the team. The ones that just post "I think were going to contend and here's the teams we'll compete with" are just blowing smoke and just have no idea about the other teams chances.

How many people predicted the White Sox in 05, Tigers in 06?

oeo
01-07-2007, 03:23 PM
I really hope the bullpen is improved. I just don't know. Aardsma, Sisco are both huge question marks. Massett should help out, but I jus't want to see these kids improve before I think the bullpen is "fixed" or not. We also need Jenks to come back in shape, and be able to do it for an entire season. We can't have him fall off late in the year.

It is improved from last year. That may not be saying much, and hopefully things do work out and we will have one of the best bullpens in the league...but this current bullpen is definately better than the one in 2006.

chisoxmike
01-07-2007, 03:35 PM

I think other teams are right to question us. If everything goes right we can win between 92-100 games easy, but if things don't go as smoothly as we think, we could be looking down an 85 win team.

That being said, I don't think Kenny is done, I think he will fill one more hole maybe 2 during spring training.

We knew this was going to be how it was when Kenny made the types of trades he did. Some would continue their all Kenny touches is gold thinking, some would over react then settle down, some would reserve judgement, some would freak out, some would jump off the bandwagon and some would give up all hope. Writers would praise him or cut him to shreads, and fans of other teams look at it and say "they lose an 18 game winner for a guy with a 7 era. They lose Cotts for a guy who can't throw a strike. They pick up some kid from Kansas City who's era was huge. They don't always get it.

This is a 4 team race. Anyone who thinks the Tigers won't keep winning with that pitching is nuts. Minnesota has a solid young core of pitching, and they won last year without Liriano in the 2nd half and a healthy Radke. Minnesota will find a way to win 90+, you know they will because they always do. Cleveland has a great young core of players and while the pitching is a question mark, any lineup that has the likes of Hafner Sizemore Victor Martinez and the rest of that core is solid. You can't count them out.

My words exactly.

The bullpen: I won't believe anything until I see it. Nothing is certain, and until I see the bullpen DURING THE SEASON (not spring training) it's going to be a huge question mark for me.

The rotation: I truly believe Buehrle just had a bad 2nd half. It happens. I expect him to bounce back. But, the two question marks in the rotation is Contreras and the 5th starter spot. Garland should be able to win 15-18 games, and Vazquez will be the same overrated .500 pitcher. But, my eye is on Contreras. And, who knows what you will get out of Floyd or whoever is our 5th starter. If that slot isn't consistant throughout the season, we will have big problems. I don't want to see Haegar in there either.

To think the Sox are going to run away with the division is absolutely insane. You can NEVER EVER count the Twins out, they always find a way. and the Tigers are going to be there, they may not win the division, but they will win a decent amount of games and make things interesting.

Oblong
01-07-2007, 04:08 PM
I think the Sox will be underrated because people will look at the standings last year and see them in third place. For most of the season they were within a few games of first. The Tigers and Twins both had very hot streaks for a good portion of the season.

People that know baseball won't count out Chicago.

I do have a hunch the AL Central will disappoint. It's now the "hot" division. Hopefully for me it's the Twins and Indians and Royals not doing their part.

russ99
01-07-2007, 04:11 PM
My words exactly.

The bullpen: I won't believe anything until I see it. Nothing is certain, and until I see the bullpen DURING THE SEASON (not spring training) it's going to be a huge question mark for me.

I agree with you somewhat, but the one thing I like about the acquisition of the new bullpen guys (Sisco & Aardsma) is that along with the established relievers (Jenks, Thornton and McDougal) these guys all can really throw smoke. Look at what Detroit did with a unproven bullpen full of fastball pitchers last season.

My only real concern is the Sox have no veteran reliever that could step into the closer role if Bobby is injured. I'd love to see Kenny get one more crafty veteran junkball/control pitcher to put into the mix.

ChiSoxFan7
01-07-2007, 05:25 PM
...I'd love to see Kenny get one more crafty veteran junkball/control pitcher to put into the mix.

like who? I was thinking thru and i couldn't find any, but maybe you can enlighten me here (talking liking comcast)

But all in all, our bullpen should be set, even minus jenks. Not many bullpens are built around losing their closer, but i still think with our blazers (thorton and mcDougal) we may have at least 2 or maybe even 3 top 20 closers in the league. So i think we are pretty safe, though with javy going 5 or less i wouldn't mind another crafty relief guy

starboy0
01-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I like having underdog status. Playing with a chip on the shoulder can work well.

Our POTENTIAL is huge. I have a feeling Buehrle will bounce back, Vazquez just might realize his potential and a healthy Jose has worked before. One of our young pitchers could be a Liriano or Verlander.

Could have a genuine POWER BULLPEN that will strike fear in opponents.

We will score runs.

It's like a time bomb waiting to go off. I like our chances.

soxinem1
01-07-2007, 06:21 PM
For those DET fans and predictors who think the AL Central is for the Tigers taking, they should take a little history lesson when it comes to predictions.

For starters, how many hundreds of times are these predictions just outright wrong, as they are usually based on the previous year's performance and some stat jockey spitting out expected seasons by individual players? Even sure things always have failures. And players get hurt, have off-seasons, become washed up (or are flukes), get traded, sent to AAA, etc. In other words, who knows until the season begins?

True, the Tigers went to the World Series, but they stumbled big time down the stretch. And much like the 2006 White Sox (and preceding champions), they will be on the radar here is 2007.

And, every year in every sport there is a positive suprise team that comes out of nowhere, and a team that is expected to do well but falls flat on it's face.

soxinem1
01-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I agree with you somewhat, but the one thing I like about the acquisition of the new bullpen guys (Sisco & Aardsma) is that along with the established relievers (Jenks, Thornton and McDougal) these guys all can really throw smoke. Look at what Detroit did with a unproven bullpen full of fastball pitchers last season.

My only real concern is the Sox have no veteran reliever that could step into the closer role if Bobby is injured. I'd love to see Kenny get one more crafty veteran junkball/control pitcher to put into the mix.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2006/08/17/cOSOAdlA.jpg

What about me? I used to close pretty well!

Palehose13
01-07-2007, 06:29 PM
:whocares

http://www.commentyou.com/Images/funny/images/7805063_s.gif

I hear ya'!

oeo
01-07-2007, 06:31 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2006/08/17/cOSOAdlA.jpg

What about me? I used to close pretty well!

I'd imagine if it really came down to it, Thornton could get the job done, as well.