PDA

View Full Version : A Proposal for Future SoxFests

Viva Medias B's
01-06-2007, 10:44 PM
With SoxFest 2007 moving to the Palmer House and its smaller capacity resulting in the possibility that fans who have attended previous SoxFests will be unable to attend this one, I propose the White Sox make a change to future SoxFests. My basic proposal is to expand it to four days (with Day 1 reserved for season ticket holders) and have it on the Martin Luther King holiday weekend.

Season ticket holders are not given any pre-sales or special offers for SoxFest 2007. However, I do believe that full and split season ticket holders (in the interest of disclosure, me being one of them) should be granted an opportunity to attend SoxFest. Of course, the season ticket holders would have to pay what the public pays to attend SoxFest. This is why I have proposed expanding it to four days. The first night, Friday, is the one that should be set aside for season ticket holders. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday would be for those who get tickets. It would be similar to the Chicago Auto Show's annual "First Look for Charity" in which the Auto Show's biggest backers get to attend it the Thursday evening before the show opens to the public the following day.

Having SoxFest over the MLK holiday weekend is what would obviously allow it to go into Monday. The St. Louis Cardinals extend their "Winter Warm Up" into the MLK Monday holiday. What can't we?

chisoxmike
01-06-2007, 10:51 PM
With SoxFest 2007 moving to the Palmer House and its smaller capacity resulting in the possibility that fans who have attended previous SoxFests will be unable to attend this one, I propose the White Sox make a change to future SoxFests. My basic proposal is to expand it to four days (with Day 1 reserved for season ticket holders) and have it on the Martin Luther King holiday weekend.

Season ticket holders are not given any pre-sales or special offers for SoxFest 2007. However, I do believe that full and split season ticket holders (in the interest of disclosure, me being one of them) should be granted an opportunity to attend SoxFest. Of course, the season ticket holders would have to pay what the public pays to attend SoxFest. This is why I have proposed expanding it to four days. The first night, Friday, is the one that should be set aside for season ticket holders. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday would be for those who get tickets. It would be similar to the Chicago Auto Show's annual "First Look for Charity" in which the Auto Show's biggest backers get to attend it the Thursday evening before the show opens to the public the following day.

Having SoxFest over the MLK holiday weekend is what would obviously allow it to go into Monday. The St. Louis Cardinals extend their "Winter Warm Up" into the MLK Monday holiday. What can't we?

:thumbsup:

I guess it would all depend on what the players and coaches can do though. :dunno:

Domeshot17
01-06-2007, 10:51 PM

I will never knock someone for having full season tickets, you can afford it, awesome!

However, I don't think Sox Fest should have anything to do with season ticket holders. All Sox Fans are created equal. If season ticket holders were worried about going, just buy the hotel package. You guys already get enough stuff haha.

(just out of curiosity, how much does a full/split cost. Me and My Fiancee had the ozzie plan last year, but with saving for the wedding had to rebudget for a year).

crazyozzie02
01-06-2007, 10:59 PM
[quote=Domeshot17;1456779]I will never knock someone for having full season tickets, you can afford it, awesome!

However, I don't think Sox Fest should have anything to do with season ticket holders. All Sox Fans are created equal. If season ticket holders were worried about going, just buy the hotel package. You guys already get enough stuff haha.[quote]

i totally agree with you. its not a knock against the st holders, but you guys get exclusive stuff anyway, not to mention going to every home game and a chance at the playoffs. let the average fans have the same chances at the regular stuff

chisoxmike
01-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I will never knock someone for having full season tickets, you can afford it, awesome!

However, I don't think Sox Fest should have anything to do with season ticket holders. All Sox Fans are created equal. If season ticket holders were worried about going, just buy the hotel package. You guys already get enough stuff haha.

(just out of curiosity, how much does a full/split cost. Me and My Fiancee had the ozzie plan last year, but with saving for the wedding had to rebudget for a year).

But, I can see the argument that if you're spending a few grand on tickets every year, you should be able to at least get a pre-sale for SoxFest tickets.

Domeshot17
01-06-2007, 11:13 PM
But, I can see the argument that if you're spending a few grand on tickets every year, you should be able to at least get a pre-sale for SoxFest tickets.

Oh I see it both ways for sure. In a few years after the wedding is settled and my career is more secure and Me and Kate go back to being season ticket holders (won't do it until we can afford split/full season) I will feel like you guys do. For now Im one of the little guys haha.

Viva Medias B's
01-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Remember that my proposal would not take anything away from the non-season ticket holders. They would still have the three days they have always had. The extra day is being added for the STers.

Domeshot17
01-06-2007, 11:25 PM
I would say if that happened, have the ST day on a thursday, or just have a special day later in the year.

CLR01
01-06-2007, 11:44 PM
I would say if that happened, have the ST day on a thursday, or just have a special day later in the year.

They already have special parties and signings for ST holders throughout the year on top of the 81 discounted games they get to attend. I guess that's not enough for some people. Give me...give me...give me...

Don't worry, all of you lesser fans who can't afford season tickets or can't buy them for whatever reason, you can take off of work on a Monday to attend.

itsnotrequired
01-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Remember that my proposal would not take anything away from the non-season ticket holders. They would still have the three days they have always had. The extra day is being added for the STers.

I see no problem with this proposal. If the Sox buy into it, what's the difference to non-ST holders? It would essentially be the exact same Soxfest with an extra day for ST holders.

Standing Ovation
01-07-2007, 12:21 AM
They would never hold it over MLK day. Sort of defeats the purpose.

soxwon
01-07-2007, 12:33 AM
If the sox moved it to the Stevens convention cntr in Rosemont, who would go?

chisoxmike
01-07-2007, 12:36 AM
If the sox moved it to the Stevens convention cntr in Rosemont, who would go?

No, it should stay downtown.

ewokpelts
01-07-2007, 02:23 PM
LARGER VENUE, PLEASE.

The Tigers are using Comerica Park(used to do it at the joe louis).

I suggest McCormick Place. there's a VERY big hyatt right there, and plenty of parking, as well as bus/rail access.

I'd also sell autograph tickets(with proceeds going to sox charities). That'll limit the cattle call a bit.

ewokpelts
01-07-2007, 02:25 PM
If the sox moved it to the Stevens convention cntr in Rosemont, who would go?it's a better coice than the tiny palmer house.
6-7 hotels in walking distance, plenty of parking, and a train stop a block away. and BIG ROOM. if it's good enough for the national card convention, then it's perfect for soxfest.

ewokpelts
01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
[quote=Domeshot17;1456779]I will never knock someone for having full season tickets, you can afford it, awesome!

However, I don't think Sox Fest should have anything to do with season ticket holders. All Sox Fans are created equal. If season ticket holders were worried about going, just buy the hotel package. You guys already get enough stuff haha.[quote]

i totally agree with you. its not a knock against the st holders, but you guys get exclusive stuff anyway, not to mention going to every home game and a chance at the playoffs. let the average fans have the same chances at the regular stuff
ST holders used to order passes in advance. I paid $50 for my 2006 soxfest passes(2 sets). it's aperk offerd by 90% of the teams that do fan conventions(some even give them to st holders). Can you guess which 2 are among the ones that dont?

ewokpelts
01-07-2007, 02:27 PM
I've always felt it should be ran like a card show. Lots of dealer tables, and ALL auto areas away from the floor. Not bunched on top of each other while the "ball park foods" get more floor space.

HITMEN OF 77
01-08-2007, 01:56 PM
It will be interesting to see how this Soxfest goes. New smaller venue, and the same amount of people as last year. I for one would like to see it moved by to the Hyatt. I'm also all for the 4 day festival. That's a great idea!

CLR01
01-08-2007, 02:15 PM
It will be interesting to see how this Soxfest goes. New smaller venue, and the same amount of people as last year. I for one would like to see it moved by to the Hyatt. I'm also all for the 4 day festival. That's a great idea!

Where did you hear they were selling the same amount of tickets as last year? It was/is my understanding that tickets available were cut, by a lot.

ewokpelts
01-08-2007, 02:28 PM
I like how the ticketmaster /online soxfest sales will be will call only

kittle42
01-08-2007, 03:01 PM
I'm actually kinda happy I have to miss it this year...I really think, based on what I said in the other thread, that this Palmer House thing will be a disaster.

skottyj242
01-08-2007, 03:35 PM
I can't believe it's forty bucks to go on Saturday. I wonder how much Ticketbastard fees are going to be?

kittle42
01-08-2007, 04:38 PM
I can't believe it's forty bucks to go on Saturday. I wonder how much Ticketbastard fees are going to be?

For a $40 ticket? I'd say an additional $40. :D:

Iwritecode
01-09-2007, 12:04 AM

I would guess the attendance #'s will be closer to 2005, not last year...

ewokpelts
01-09-2007, 03:21 AM
I would guess the attendance #'s will be closer to 2005, not last year...but the sox MAKE MORE THAN 2006 when you raise prices and force hotel patrons to PAY for tickets.

skottyj242
01-09-2007, 10:23 AM
The Sox should screw their season ticket holders every chance they get.

CLR01
01-09-2007, 11:00 AM
but the sox MAKE MORE THAN 2006 when you raise prices and force hotel patrons to PAY for tickets.

What does that have to do with the false claim that they are going to pack the same 20,000+ people from last year into an even smaller venue?

The Sox should screw their season ticket holders every chance they get.

Please, the Sox keeping their fan convention open to all fans is hardly screwing their season ticket holders.

HITMEN OF 77
01-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Where did you hear they were selling the same amount of tickets as last year? It was/is my understanding that tickets available were cut, by a lot.

They oversold last year and will do the same this year. Just like airlines overbooking flights, it will happen.

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2007, 07:44 PM
I had no chance to score any tickets. I was at work without access to a computer. Did Bears playoff tickets sell out this fast? I am not one who is quick to criticize the organization over marketing issues such as these, but I am sorry because I am inclined to do so here. It's probably just sour grapes on my part because I could not get tickets, but I think moving the event to such a small facility was a terrible decision on the part of the White Sox. I understand the Hilton sponsorship forced their hand, but the organization could have sought a bigger facility such as the Chicago Hilton & Towers. Also, not allowing season ticket holders or longtime SoxFest veterans (which they could determine per records of previous SoxFest ticket sales) any pre-sales or special offers is not an example of providing the best service to their best customers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was mentioned in another thread that other ballclubs take care of their best customers in this fashion.

chisoxmike
01-09-2007, 07:56 PM
... but the organization could have sought a bigger facility such as the Chicago Hilton & Towers. Also, not allowing season ticket holders or longtime SoxFest veterans (which they could determine per records of previous SoxFest ticket sales) any pre-sales or special offers is not an example of providing the best service to their best customers. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was mentioned in another thread that other ballclubs take care of their best customers in this fashion.

I completely agree.

Myrtle72
01-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I can see both sides of this issue, ST holders obviously have a decent amount of money and are already rewarded plenty for their investment in the Sox. It seems that so often, people are rewarded for having more money in so many different ways. I do also see that this plan wouldn't effect the non ST holders in any way, really, aside from the fact that it would be another perk that they are missing out on.

Unfortunately, as a broke college student who is completely supporting herself, I often get frustrated with baseball in general for charging so much for tickets, food, etc. This applies to pretty much all sports, for that matter.

:dunno:

I guess my point is that this sucks, but I can see both sides of the issue.

anewman35
01-09-2007, 09:28 PM
but the sox MAKE MORE THAN 2006 when you raise prices and force hotel patrons to PAY for tickets.

Good for them. Last I checked, the Chicago White Sox weren't a non-profit organization.

Palehose13
01-09-2007, 09:41 PM

Of course people are talking out of their ass. There is no way that there will be the same amount of people as last year especially with a smaller venue. ST holders were not able to buy tickets beforehand at discounted rates and they are not just giving tickets to people with the hotel package. Tickets are not as easy to come by as they were last year.

For those complaining about having to buy the tickets with the hotel package:
1. You get a cheaper rate at the hotel anyway.
2. You get a full weekend pass for $75 without having to sweat about ticketmaster.

I have no problem with the way the Sox are handling this so far this year. For the record, I also don't have "money". I went in with 3 other people so for the hotel package and tickets we are looking at about $150/person. That's not bad for a weekend in downtown Chicago with the White Sox.

CLR01
01-09-2007, 09:55 PM
They oversold last year and will do the same this year. Just like airlines overbooking flights, it will happen.

Even if they do over sell again this year the numbers will be no where close to last year.

I do also see that this plan wouldn't effect the non ST holders in any way, really, aside from the fact that it would be another perk that they are missing out on.

Well except they would likely have to take a day off of work to attend the final day but I guess that's what they get for being second class Sox fans.

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2007, 09:58 PM
Well except they would likely have to take a day off of work to attend the final day but I guess that's what they get for being second class Sox fans.

This is why I proposed moving it to the King holiday weekend, when most people would be off work/school on Monday due to the holiday.

KMKsuburbannoise
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
i propose to have it right at the stadium. They have plenty of space. This would give the true fan a very good experience.

Palehose13
01-09-2007, 10:00 PM
This is why I proposed moving it to the King holiday weekend, when most people would be off work/school on Monday due to the holiday.

But what about people who would like to honor the holiday?

CLR01
01-09-2007, 10:01 PM

About 30% of the working population gets MLK day off. I wouldn't call that most people.

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2007, 10:02 PM
But what about people who would like to honor the holiday?

That is a good question. You raise a good point.

chisoxmike
01-09-2007, 10:07 PM
i propose to have it right at the stadium. They have plenty of space. This would give the true fan a very good experience.
Ugh. What's the weather in January like?

Palehose13
01-09-2007, 10:08 PM
That is a good question. You raise a good point.

My point is that you are never going to be able to satisfy all of the fans. Having it on weekends is good for people who work M-F day jobs, but what about the rest of the population that doesn't? Raising ticket prices may alienate some people, but will maintain a profit without overselling. When too many tickets are released (like last year), everyone complains about it being too crowded.

I really don't know what else they can do. It makes sense to offer tickets first to the people who bought hotel packages. That way you have a solid number of tickets sold and have time to figure out how many tickets should be sold without the package. Hopefully they restricted ticket sales and it will not be as crowded as it was last year.

Palehose13
01-09-2007, 10:09 PM

:?:
Have you been to SoxFest before?

KMKsuburbannoise
01-09-2007, 10:10 PM
Ugh. What's the weather in January like?

i'm not saying it has to be outside. they have plenty of rooms in the stadium to hold people. But there is no hotel with in walking distance. I think if they had it in the stadium, there would be no ticket issue, there would be more space, and it would be a great experience.

I liked the Hyatt, what was wrong with having it there?

KMKsuburbannoise
01-09-2007, 10:13 PM
:?:
Have you been to SoxFest before?

yeah, 4 of them

Palehose13
01-09-2007, 10:16 PM
We could always have the Sox just do what the Brewers do, a "fan day" in a mall for a few hours with some guys signing autographs. A whole weekend for the fans? Forget about it.

Viva Medias B's
01-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Addressing KM's question, SoxFest moved from the Hyatt Regency Chicago to the Palmer House Hilton because Hilton Hotels replaced Hyatt Hotels as the club's accommodations sponsor. We do not know the circumstances as to why the Palmer House was selected (as opposed to the much larger Chicago Hilton and Towers). Granted, that other ballclub in town has its fan gathering there, but that shouldn't be a reason we cannot go there too.

Iwritecode
01-10-2007, 02:03 AM
Good for them. Last I checked, the Chicago White Sox weren't a non-profit organization.

No, but the money from Soxfest is supposed to go to White Sox Charities. They had to double the prices in part because of the smaller venue I'm sure.

Actually it was the hotel's fault last year. They weren't overbooked in 2005 or 2004 or 2003, etc...

I liked the Hyatt, what was wrong with having it there?

I did too. Moving to the Hilton was obviously a decision that was made prior to 2006 Soxfest as they already had fliers floating around last year but I doubt the disaster that occurred last year is going to make the Sox eager to go back again.

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I did too. Moving to the Hilton was obviously a decision that was made prior to 2006 Soxfest as they already had fliers floating around last year but I doubt the disaster that occurred last year is going to make the Sox eager to go back again.

I think the White Sox should just stop winning ballgames and become as competitive as the D-Rays. That'll open up room at future SoxFests, even if they move them to Motel 6.

Seriously, folks, I can see the rationale for leaving the Hyatt (even though I personally enjoyed staying there). However, as I have said previously, my main issue is with the choice of the smaller Palmer House as opposed to the more accommodating Chicago Hilton & Towers.

itsnotrequired
01-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Seriously, folks, I can see the rationale for leaving the Hyatt (even though I personally enjoyed staying there). However, as I have said previously, my main issue is with the choice of the smaller Palmer House as opposed to the more accommodating Chicago Hilton & Towers.

Does anyone know if there was already an event scheduled at Chicago Hilton during Soxfest? Me web searches are not finding much info.

NoNeckEra
01-10-2007, 10:27 AM
With autographs being the primary draw for most attendees of Soxfest(based on the long lines), it's impractical to make it much larger.

From the Sox' perspective, this is a good problem to have: High demand for your product, but limited capacity.

If and when it starts to become easier and easier to get into Soxfest(due to declining fan interest), then they'll take a hard look at making it more inviting to attend and get more creative. For now, I think it's exactly how they want it.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Of course people are talking out of their ass. There is no way that there will be the same amount of people as last year especially with a smaller venue. ST holders were not able to buy tickets beforehand at discounted rates and they are not just giving tickets to people with the hotel package. Tickets are not as easy to come by as they were last year.

For those complaining about having to buy the tickets with the hotel package:
1. You get a cheaper rate at the hotel anyway.
2. You get a full weekend pass for $75 without having to sweat about ticketmaster.

I have no problem with the way the Sox are handling this so far this year. For the record, I also don't have "money". I went in with 3 other people so for the hotel package and tickets we are looking at about $150/person. That's not bad for a weekend in downtown Chicago with the White Sox.
No. Hilton's bending us over on this one. I got a dealer room, and that rate was 375. Last year, at the hyatt, it was 69 a night.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 02:11 PM
i propose to have it right at the stadium. They have plenty of space. This would give the true fan a very good experience.They are doing this at the American League Champion's stadium. on January 20.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 02:13 PM
We could always have the Sox just do what the Brewers do, a "fan day" in a mall for a few hours with some guys signing autographs. A whole weekend for the fans? Forget about it.
how bout a caravan? is is that too bush league for you?

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Addressing KM's question, SoxFest moved from the Hyatt Regency Chicago to the Palmer House Hilton because Hilton Hotels replaced Hyatt Hotels as the club's accommodations sponsor. We do not know the circumstances as to why the Palmer House was selected (as opposed to the much larger Chicago Hilton and Towers). Granted, that other ballclub in town has its fan gathering there, but that shouldn't be a reason we cannot go there too.
agreed. if it's good enough for the bear and cubs fanbases(with nary a complaint among thier fan sites about the venue) then it should be more than enough for us.

itsnotrequired
01-10-2007, 02:16 PM
agreed. if it's good enough for the bear and cubs fanbases(with nary a complaint among thier fan sites about the venue) then it should be more than enough for us.

...and that leads into my earlier question: Was there already an event booked that prevented it from being there this year? Is the plan to have it at the Palmer House every year or is this just a temporary solution?

Palehose13
01-10-2007, 03:04 PM
how bout a caravan? is is that too bush league for you?

Yes. I don't go to stand in line for autograpns. I go for the entire weekend experience, especially the garage sale and seminars. There is no way that the Sox would be able to replicate SoxFest in a caravan. It would be much like what the Brewers offer and that totally sucks.

No. Hilton's bending us over on this one. I got a dealer room, and that rate was 375. Last year, at the hyatt, it was 69 a night.

Then stay at the Hyatt. Me and 3 friends have a room for the weekend with weekend passes for $150 each. My point is that if you really want to go, it can be done.

My solution for you, Gene, is really simple. If you don't like how it is being done this year, don't go. I am sure there are plenty of Sox fans willing to take your spot.

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 03:40 PM
I did some checking comparing the Hyatt Regency Chicago, the Hilton Chicago, and the Palmer House.

Number of Rooms
Hyatt Regency: 1900
Palmer House: 1639
Hilton Chicago: 1544

Meeting/Exhibition Space Square Footage
Hilton Chicago: 234,000
Hyatt Regency: 228,000
Palmer House: 136,900

It's obvious that the limited amount of square feet at the Palmer House is a major reason there are fewer SoxFest tickets to go around, if indeed that is the case.

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Yes. I don't go to stand in line for autograpns. I go for the entire weekend experience, especially the garage sale and seminars. There is no way that the Sox would be able to replicate SoxFest in a caravan. It would be much like what the Brewers offer and that totally sucks.

Then stay at the Hyatt. Me and 3 friends have a room for the weekend with weekend passes for $150 each. My point is that if you really want to go, it can be done.

My solution for you, Gene, is really simple. If you don't like how it is being done this year, don't go. I am sure there are plenty of Sox fans willing to take your spot.

If Gene has SoxFest tickets independent of the hotel reservation (i.e., he got them through Ticketmaster), he may want to try booking a room at the Palmer House with the SCORE RADIO rate of $99.00 per night plus tax. Yesterday, I called 1-800-HILTONS and got such a rate for 1/27.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 04:11 PM

have a caraavan BEFORE soxfest....it seems to work for the northside competition, and the brew crew

hilton's got me screwed on the dealer room...i have to take it to get enough dealer badges for the guys working with me...they're limiting the number of badges you get with each table purchased.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 04:12 PM
If Gene has SoxFest tickets independent of the hotel reservation (i.e., he got them through Ticketmaster), he may want to try booking a room at the Palmer House with the SCORE RADIO rate of $99.00 per night plus tax. Yesterday, I called 1-800-HILTONS and got such a rate for 1/27.naw...my dealer badges are handcuffed to the hotel....i need extra badges for the guys working with me
if i didnt need to stay there to get other badges, i'd go home at night(orange line is across the street) or use my hyatt points(which i eanred at the previous soxfests)

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 04:13 PM
I did some checking comparing the Hyatt Regency Chicago, the Hilton Chicago, and the Palmer House.

Number of Rooms
Hyatt Regency: 1900
Palmer House: 1639
Hilton Chicago: 1544

Meeting/Exhibition Space Square Footage
Hilton Chicago: 234,000
Hyatt Regency: 228,000
Palmer House: 136,900

It's obvious that the limited amount of square feet at the Palmer House is a major reason there are fewer SoxFest tickets to go around, if indeed that is the case.wow....the sox gave up a chance at a LARGER facilty than the hyatt?

Palehose13
01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
have a caraavan BEFORE soxfest....it seems to work for the northside competition, and the brew crew

hilton's got me screwed on the dealer room...i have to take it to get enough dealer badges for the guys working with me...they're limiting the number of badges you get with each table purchased.

I have nothing against having a caravan before SoxFest, but there may be a problem getting enough guys to do so many appearances. I just don't want to eliminate SoxFest. For the record, the Brewers have nothing that even compares to SoxFest. All they have is a few hours with a few guys at Mayfair Mall.

Looks to me like you may be making money at SoxFest since you are a dealer. I still don't get why you keep belly aching.

KMKsuburbannoise
01-10-2007, 04:35 PM
I like it being at a smaller place with fewer tickets, but some people didn't get tickets and that sucks. There is no real good way to do this. Bigger place, more tickets, more people. smaller place, fewer tickets, fewer people. Perhaps they should have a lottery but that still wouldn't work. Maybe only let people in one of the days but how would they regulate that? There is no good way.

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
wow....the sox gave up a chance at a LARGER facilty than the hyatt?

There may have been logistics that forced them to the Palmer House instead of the Hilton Chicago that we do not know about.

itsnotrequired
01-10-2007, 04:48 PM
There may have been logistics that forced them to the Palmer House instead of the Hilton Chicago that we do not know about.

I've asked that question twice now and no one has addressed it. I've done some web searches but can't find anything (which doesn't mean nothing is happening).

Crain's lists upcoming conventions. Anyone have a copy that lists what's going on that weekend?

CLR01
01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
I still don't get why you keep belly aching.

It's what we do best here. We need to change the tag line from "Totally Biased, Utterly Petty, Completely Unobjective" to "Totally Biased, Utterly Petty, Completely Unobjective and Always Bitching"

CLR01
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
I've asked that question twice now and no one has even addressed it. I've done some web searches but can't find anything (which doesn't mean nothing is happening).

Crain's lists upcoming conventions. Anyone have a copy that lists what's going on that weekend?

No one here can answer that question. Even if you find that there is something happening at the Chicago Hilton the same weekend it doesn't mean that the space wasn't available back when the Sox were planning and booking hotels. The only people who can answer that are the Sox and Hilton.

Palehose13
01-10-2007, 04:52 PM
It's what we do best here. We need to change the tag line from "Totally Biased, Utterly Petty, Completely Unobjective" to "Totally Biased, Utterly Petty, Completely Unobjective and Always Bitching"

:thumbsup: I like it. Make sure you get the copyright on that.

itsnotrequired
01-10-2007, 05:05 PM
No one here can answer that question. Even if you find that there is something happening at the Chicago Hilton the same weekend it doesn't mean that the space wasn't available back when the Sox were planning and booking hotels. The only people who can answer that are the Sox and Hilton.

Someone here might be able to answer it. I'm always amazed at the cross-section of the WSI populace.:cool:

If there is a major national convention that weekend which has been using the Hilton Chicago every year for ages, perhaps they have some type of long term deal in place. Knowing what is scheduled there for that weekend is a start to figuring out what the deal is. I guess that's what I was trying to figure out. I mean, if the 25 members of the International Mousetrap Society were meeting there that weekend and the rest of the place was barren, then something is amiss. On the other hand, if the AMA convention is that weekend and they booked all the meeting space and 75% of the rooms and have been doing so for years, it wouldn't be surprising that the Sox couldn't get in there. Finding out what else is going on there is the first step to trying to figure out why Soxfest isn't there. Claims that the Sox "passed up" on the larger meeting space without even knowing anything about the Hilton Chicago situation is just wild speculation.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Someone here might be able to answer it. I'm always amazed at the cross-section of the WSI populace.:cool:

If there is a major national convention that weekend which has been using the Hilton Chicago every year for ages, perhaps they have some type of long term deal in place. Knowing what is scheduled there for that weekend is a start to figuring out what the deal is. I guess that's what I was trying to figure out. I mean, if the 25 members of the International Mousetrap Society were meeting there that weekend and the rest of the place was barren, then something is amiss. On the other hand, if the AMA convention is that weekend and they booked all the meeting space and 75% of the rooms and have been doing so for years, it wouldn't be surprising that the Sox couldn't get in there. Finding out what else is going on there is the first step to trying to figure out why Soxfest isn't there. Claims that the Sox "passed up" on the larger meeting space without even knowing anything about the Hilton Chicago situation is just wild speculation.It may be speculation, but a logical response may be that the cubs have right of refusal to the sox using that space. Especially if they are more neck and neck in competing for the casual fanbase.
Or hilton is trying to pump up palmer house business.
That's all I can figure out.

But back to the original topic, I feel a better soxfest is McCormick Place, since the hotel is bigger, and the convnetion floor can handle a much larger crowd.
Hell, the ideal situtation is to have all 5 pro teams have a mega convention at McCormick place.

itsnotrequired
01-10-2007, 05:45 PM
It may be speculation, but a logical response may be that the cubs have right of refusal to the sox using that space. Especially if they are more neck and neck in competing for the casual fanbase.
Or hilton is trying to pump up palmer house business.
That's all I can figure out.

But back to the original topic, I feel a better soxfest is McCormick Place, since the hotel is bigger, and the convnetion floor can handle a much larger crowd.
Hell, the ideal situtation is to have all 5 pro teams have a mega convention at McCormick place.

And maybe the Cubs due have this right and maybe Hilton is trying to boost Palmer House business, who knows. It seems like none of us actively involved in this discussion have any idea so I'm hoping others may be able to offer more insight.

A convention with all local pro sports teams? Oh man, would that be insane...

Brian26
01-10-2007, 08:55 PM

Ideal for who? If you're a hardcore Sox fan, why would you want to be stuck in the same facility with thousands of Cub fans all weekend?

Soxfest is supposed to be a pep rally for the upcoming season.

NoNeckEra
01-10-2007, 09:08 PM

It sounds like you are a dealer and want more traffic, which I can understand.
My feeling is, if it's at a smaller venue and I can get a ticket, great. I'll go.
If it's twice as big as this year, I just wouldn't go. Too many people.

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Ideal for who? If you're a hardcore Sox fan, why would you want to be stuck in the same facility with thousands of Cub fans all weekend?

Soxfest is supposed to be a pep rally for the upcoming season.
I may be biased in this, cuz a mega event is good if you're one of the teams(lower overhead, higher possible returns) and if you sell stuff to sports fans.
But I dont see the bulls or hawks holding a convnetion(in-season or offseason). And I wouldnt mid seeing that.
Gene

ewokpelts
01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
It sounds like you are a dealer and want more traffic, which I can understand.
My feeling is, if it's at a smaller venue and I can get a ticket, great. I'll go.
If it's twice as big as this year, I just wouldn't go. Too many people.i also like seeing tons of sox fans in one place, and not just at the park or in the very rare victory rallies.

Viva Medias B's
01-10-2007, 10:41 PM

McCormick Place would certainly have more than enough space for SoxFest activities, but the Hyatt at McCormick Place is not a large hotel at all. It only has 800 rooms with is about half of what the other large hotels have.

champagne030
01-11-2007, 03:58 PM
If Gene has SoxFest tickets independent of the hotel reservation (i.e., he got them through Ticketmaster), he may want to try booking a room at the Palmer House with the SCORE RADIO rate of $99.00 per night plus tax. Yesterday, I called 1-800-HILTONS and got such a rate for 1/27.

I booked through Hotwire today and got a two night stay (1/26 & 1/27) for $163.38 (fees/taxes INCLUDED). Yes, Hilton did a screw job on the people who bought weekend passes.

Jaffar
01-11-2007, 04:37 PM
I booked through Hotwire today and got a two night stay (1/26 & 1/27) for $163.38 (fees/taxes INCLUDED). Yes, Hilton did a screw job on the people who bought weekend passes.

Considering how fast the individual tickets sold out I'm ok with the fact that I overpaid considering the price for tickets on ebay.

chisoxmike
01-11-2007, 04:40 PM

That is a horrible, horrible idea. I don't want to be celebrating SOX fandom with a bunch of Cubs fans. Could you imagine how annoying something like this would be.

Sox fan: Your team sucks
Cubs fans: No, your team sucks
Sox fan: **** you
Cubs fan: **** you
Sox fan: Win a World Series
Cubs fan: Draw More Fans, go cubbies!!!

Jaffar
01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
That is a horrible, horrible idea. I don't want to be celebrating SOX fandom with a bunch of Cubs fans. Could you imagine how annoying something like this would be.

Sox fan: Your team sucks
Cubs fans: No, your team sucks
Sox fan: **** you
Cubs fan: **** you
Sox fan: Win a World Series
Cubs fan: Draw More Fans, go cubbies!!!

Keep in mind ewok is a dealer so a huge convention like that would just mean more $$$ for him.

HITMEN OF 77
01-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Actually it was the hotel's fault last year. They weren't overbooked in 2005 or 2004 or 2003, etc...

Overbooked or not, they are only given a certain number of Soxfest packages to sell. The hotel only host Soxfest, they have nothing to with the selling of the tickets. They give out the 2-4 ttickets to each person who has a room with a Soxfest package. The White Sox printed and sold more tickets than they should have.

ewokpelts
01-12-2007, 04:06 PM
Overbooked or not, they are only given a certain number of Soxfest packages to sell. The hotel only host Soxfest, they have nothing to with the selling of the tickets. They give out the 2-4 ttickets to each person who has a room with a Soxfest package. The White Sox printed and sold more tickets than they should have.
correcta mundo.....everyone blames the hotel...NOT the sox

Domeshot17
01-12-2007, 05:18 PM
correcta mundo.....everyone blames the hotel...NOT the sox

I also remember hearing of a lot fake tickets being sold on the street, and since they were tearing tickets, no one really noticed. I wonder if this is why people won't get their tickets until just before sox fest kicks off.

chisoxmike
01-12-2007, 06:00 PM
I got the e-mail about SoxFest from the Sox.

A limited number of hotel rooms at a special SoxFest rate are now available for guests who might want to join us as overnight guests. To check availability and make reservations, please call the Palmer House Hilton reservations at (877) 865-5321. Be sure to mention SoxFest when making your reservation.

· Two-Night SoxFest Rate at $249 plus tax

· One-Night SoxFest Rate at $145 plus tax

· PLEASE NOTE: A standard $25 per person fee will be added to rooms over double occupancy.

· PLEASE NOTE: SoxFest tickets are not included with the hotel reservations and no additional SoxFest tickets are available for purchase.

· SoxFest passes WILL NOT be mailed. SoxFest passes may be picked up in advance at U.S. Cellular Field or during the event dates at the Palmer House (January 26 – January 28). A photo ID must be presented at time of pick up. Please treat your passes with extreme care. They can not be replaced if lost or stolen. We encourage guests to pick up passes in advance at U.S. Cellular Field to avoid wait time in lines at the hotel pick up area.

· Pick up at U.S. Cellular Field

o Beginning Friday, January 19 through Wednesday, January 24, passes may be picked up at U.S. Cellular Field between the hours of 10am and 4pm at the ticket windows inside the Gate 4 entrance.

o A photo ID that matches the name of the person who purchased the passes and the credit card used to purchase the passes must be presented at time of pick up.

· Pick up at Palmer House Hilton

o Passes can be picked up at the concierge’s desk located in the main lobby of the hotel between the hours on noon and 7pm on Friday and between 8am and 3pm on Saturday and Sunday.

o A photo ID that matches the name of the person who purchased the passes and the credit card used to purchase the passes must be presented at time of pick up.

· SoxFest passes will be issued with lanyards (straps that attach to passes that are worn around the neck). Passes MUST BE worn in order to enter all SoxFest areas at the hotel.

· Parking in the area of the hotel is limited. As a courtesy to SoxFest attendees, we are offering complimentary parking in Lot A at U.S. Cellular Field and suggest SoxFest guests take the CTA Red Line to the Monroe/State Street stop, which is just steps from the Palmer House Hilton entrance. Parking in Lot A will be available starting on Friday, January 26th at noon and ending Sunday, January 28th at 5pm.

· Enter the Palmer House Hilton from Monroe Street to attend SoxFest 2007.

· Coat check locations for SoxFest guests are located on the lobby level near the Front Desk, and on the 4th floor near the SoxFest Seminar Room. Coat checks will be open on Friday from 1pm to 9:30pm, Saturday from 8am to 5:30pm, and Sunday from 7am to 3:30pm. There is a fee of $2 per item.

ewokpelts
01-12-2007, 06:17 PM
SoxFest passes will be issued with lanyards (straps that attach to passes that are worn around the neck). Passes MUST BE worn in order to enter all SoxFest areas at the hotel.

· Parking in the area of the hotel is limited. As a courtesy to SoxFest attendees, we are offering complimentary parking in Lot A at U.S. Cellular Field and suggest SoxFest guests take the CTA Red Line to the Monroe/State Street stop, which is just steps from the Palmer House Hilton entrance. Parking in Lot A will be available starting on Friday, January 26th at noon and ending Sunday, January 28th at 5pm.

Two things I Like about this year's soxfest.
I spoke with others who have been to the bears show as well as the cub show, and those events required you to wear the badges. you would redeem your ticketmaster ticket for a badge at the bears show.

champagne030
01-12-2007, 09:07 PM
I got the e-mail about SoxFest from the Sox.
A limited number of hotel rooms at a special SoxFest rate are now available for guests who might want to join us as overnight guests. To check availability and make reservations, please call the Palmer House Hilton reservations at (877) 865-5321. Be sure to mention SoxFest when making your reservation.

· Two-Night SoxFest Rate at $249 plus tax

· One-Night SoxFest Rate at $145 plus tax

· PLEASE NOTE: A standard $25 per person fee will be added to rooms over double occupancy.

· PLEASE NOTE: SoxFest tickets are not included with the hotel reservations and no additional SoxFest tickets are available for purchase.

Or you can use Hotwire and have that two night stay for under $165 (tax/fees INCLUDED). **** off Hilton!

Viva Medias B's
01-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Or you can use Hotwire and have that two night stay for under $165 (tax/fees INCLUDED). **** off Hilton!

I'm joining the crowd on Saturday with my Score $99 rate. I am creepy about Hotwire. You have to pay for your stay in full before the hotel you make your reservation at is revealed, and you cannot cancel it once you make your paid reservation.

ewokpelts
01-13-2007, 11:10 AM
I'm joining the crowd on Saturday with my Score $99 rate. I am creepy about Hotwire. You have to pay for your stay in full before the hotel you make your reservation at is revealed, and you cannot cancel it once you make your paid reservation.that sucks...

chisoxmike
01-15-2007, 01:09 PM
From the White Sox mailbag on whitesox.com regarding SoxFest 2007...

Jermaine Dye, A.J. Pierzynski and Jim Thome are not scheduled to appear, according to a team source, for personal or family reasons. But as always, there will be a strong representation from the upcoming season's White Sox roster.

JGarlandrules20
01-15-2007, 03:46 PM
From the White Sox mailbag on whitesox.com regarding SoxFest 2007...

I wonder if that means Crede will be there.