PDA

View Full Version : Seaver vs Palmer

eastchicagosoxfan
01-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Tom Seaver of the National League ( primarily ) vs Jim Palmer of the American League. They were contemporaries. I'll take Seaver, but I'm really interested in the methodology people will use to determine who was better.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/compare.cgi

getonbckthr
01-06-2007, 06:12 PM
Career ERA is the same, average innings per season are pretty much the same, I don't put value in wins and losses because you can have a crap offense with a bunch of losses or a great offense to get you wins. I look at k/BB for that I give the nod to Seaver (3640-1390) over Palmer (2212-1311). They were basically equal though so don't look at this as me putting Palmer down.

ondafarm
01-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Seaver and Palmer is a pretty tough call. Both great pitchers.

Seaver is a personal favorite of mine so my personal choice would be him. Seaver I think was more intellectual, Palmer a bit more natural ability. They both worked their butts off though to get and stay in the majors.

DumpJerry
01-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Heck, I'd go with both. Throw in Mark Buerhle, Jon Garland and Jose Contreras and we're talking parade down LaSalle Street in October!

Save McCuddy's
01-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Tom Seaver of the National League ( primarily ) vs Jim Palmer of the American League. They were contemporaries. I'll take Seaver, but I'm really interested in the methodology people will use to determine who was better.
http://www.baseball-reference.com/compare.cgi

My methodology is strikeouts vs walks and k's per 9 innings. Most every other pitching stat is subjective and has some dependence upon that pitcher's teammates.

As power pitchers, there's no comparison between these two. It's Seaver in a rout.

PaulDrake
01-10-2007, 01:18 PM
I often wonder how a pitcher like Palmer would do in today's game. The strike zone has shrunk, more so vertically than horizontally IMO. The AL was once known as the league with the "high strike zone" and Palmer often pitched up in the zone. Today, it seems just about anything above the belt is a ball. Anyway, I'd take Seaver over Palmer.