PDA

View Full Version : 'other' Comiskey changes


phaedrus
03-11-2002, 07:52 AM
not trying to start any rumors but I heard something intereseting over the weekend (sorry if you all know already). My father-in-law is in commercial construction in the loop and ran into a colleague who is in steel construction. The guy claims he's currently working on the upper deck at Comiskey - removing the top 10 rows and installing a roof similar to that at Wrigley - and that the kicker is that they have to be done by April 1. Has anyone seen or heard anything that could confirm or deny this? It didn't look like they were touching the upper deck during ticket holder appreciation day so I'm not sure. I'm going to call today to check. Thought it was interesting.

fado
03-11-2002, 08:23 AM
I live close enough to the park that i can see the roof from my front porch. I know that they are working on the inside but they haven't done anything to the roof as far as I can see. But I do know that over next off season is when they are supposed to do the final renovaations in time for the all star game. Which is suppossed to include a grand entrance in left field a home run porch in right, and something to do with the upper deck. If anyone has heard anything else please chime in.

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 09:41 AM
That sounds right. I heard nothing about the upper duck this year.

duke of dorwood
03-11-2002, 10:03 AM
I drove by there recently and saw nothing going on up there. I dont think something that major would be started now.

MarqSox
03-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Yeah all that stuff is going to happen, but not until next off-season. Wouldn't surprise me either if the Sox have an extended road trip to open the 2003 season, or if we played the first month or so in Wrigley while they finish that up. I'm not sure they can get all that done in 6 months of winter, but we'll see.

RedPinStripes
03-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by MarqSox
Yeah all that stuff is going to happen, but not until next off-season. Wouldn't surprise me either if the Sox have an extended road trip to open the 2003 season, or if we played the first month or so in Wrigley while they finish that up. I'm not sure they can get all that done in 6 months of winter, but we'll see.

Nothing surprises me with time in construction these days after watching how fast new comiskey went up. I'm sure they can get that done in 6 months.

Jerry_Manuel
03-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
Nothing surprises me with time in construction these days after watching how fast new comiskey went up. I'm sure they can get that done in 6 months.

Considering it's 10 years later they might be able to get it done faster. Let's not get to ahead of ourselves here, according to the Sox nothing is set in stone.

Call me crazy but I believe what Sox management is saying. :o:

Foulke You
03-11-2002, 03:12 PM
I drive past Comiskey every day on the way to work and I haven't seen any work done on the upper deck. I believe the extensive renovating starts next offseason as stated in the above posts. However they are making much progress with the Robert Taylor Project Hi-Rises behind the ballpark. 1 by 1 they are finally coming down. They just started on the ones immediately behind the ballpark.

nut_stock
03-11-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
I drive past Comiskey every day on the way to work and I haven't seen any work done on the upper deck. I believe the extensive renovating starts next offseason as stated in the above posts. However they are making much progress with the Robert Taylor Project Hi-Rises behind the ballpark. 1 by 1 they are finally coming down. They just started on the ones immediately behind the ballpark.


Are you referring to those 2 in left Field?

voodoochile
03-11-2002, 05:03 PM
Supposedly they are talking about reducing the steepness of the upper deck also, but how they will do that I have no idea. It would be a major renovation project to change that angle.

Supposedly they are going to slope the deck so instead of going straight up, it will bow inwards and that will reduce the steepness - at least that is how I understand it.

Randar68
03-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Supposedly they are talking about reducing the steepness of the upper deck also, but how they will do that I have no idea. It would be a major renovation project to change that angle.

Supposedly they are going to slope the deck so instead of going straight up, it will bow inwards and that will reduce the steepness - at least that is how I understand it.

Wow, that's news to me! I thought they were just going to cut the top 10 or so rows and put a better roof on it to make it feel less steep.

nut_stock
03-11-2002, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Randar68


Wow, that's news to me! I thought they were just going to cut the top 10 or so rows and put a better roof on it to make it feel less steep.

Im sure the amount of money made by selling the naming rights will dictate how extensive the work will be.