PDA

View Full Version : Winter League results...

rdivaldi
01-06-2007, 03:16 PM
Props to Marc Jimenez of MLB.com for writing this:

Venezuelan Winter League
LHP Boone Logan -- Logan hasn't pitched since Oct. 24. In five appearances for the Tiburones, he allowed two runs -- one earned -- on three hits, striking out three without allowing a walk in 4 1/3 innings.

3B Jorge Velandia -- Velandia has not seen any action since Nov. 13. The 29-year-old infielder batted .209 (18-for-86) with a homer and 10 RBIs in 23 games for the Tiburones.

RHP Ehren Wassermann -- Wassermann has not pitched since Nov. 16, and he is 1-3 with a 9.88 ERA in 16 outings.

INF Juan Camacho -- Camacho turned in his seventh game with at least three hits on Dec. 22, going 3-for-4 with two RBIs. In 45 games with the Aguilas del Zulia, he is batting .321 with six homers and 29 RBIs while splitting time between first and third base.

C Gustavo Molina -- Molina had his second hit -- both singles -- for the Navegantes del Magallanes on Dec. 30 to go 2-for-18 (.111) in 12 games.

LHP Carlos Vasquez -- Vasquez (1-0) picked up a win in relief after retiring four straight batters on Dec. 19. The following day, however, he uncorked three wild pitches and was charged with two runs while walking three and recording just one out for the Caribes de Oriente.

RF Mark Quinn -- Quinn hasn't played since Dec. 9 and recorded his last hit on Nov. 29. The 32-year-old right fielder is batting .152 (5-for-33) with three RBIs for the Pastora.

LHP Andrew Lorraine -- Lorraine, who has not picked up a decision in three consecutive starts, allowed five runs -- three earned -- on eight hits over seven innings during his last two December starts for the Leones del Caracas.

LHP Corwin Malone -- In his first appearance in 10 days, Malone (0-3) gave up one run on two hits over 2 1/3 innings for the Tiburones on Dec. 26.

Dominican Winter League
CF Luis Terrero -- Terrero ended the season with a .237 batting average, two homers, 14 RBIs and 15 runs scored in 42 games for the Azucareros del Este.

INF Victor Mercedes -- Mercedes went 7-for-14 with three RBIs and scored three runs in 12 games for the Tigres del Licey.

LF Ricardo Nanita -- Nanita was 12-for-35 (.343) with four RBIs and five runs scored in 24 games for the Tigres.

RHP Oneli Perez -- In 18 appearances for Licey, Perez (4-0, one save) allowed five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits while striking out 18 over 22 innings.

Mexican Pacific League
LF Ruben Rivera -- Rivera's powerful bat was on display on Dec. 28-29 as the 33-year-old outfielder belted two homers and knocked in four runs. In 67 games with the Tomateros de Culiacan, he's hitting .282 with 21 homers and 58 RBIs.
1B Fernando Valenzuela Jr. -- Valenzuela has not seen action since Dec. 9, and he is batting .260 (33-for-127) with four home runs and 16 RBIs in 39 games for the Aguilas de Mexicali.

caulfield12
01-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Not exactly the sterling line from Terrero that would expect from someone many feel will be our backup CF.

QCIASOXFAN
01-06-2007, 11:03 PM
I thought Ozzie and company banished BA to the winter league?

FedEx227
01-07-2007, 12:07 AM
Did he and alot of the other Sox top prospects leave after Shines was fired.

Also I believe Anderson had a stomach virus.

Lillian
01-07-2007, 06:25 AM
I noticed the article in MLB.com on Rivera. The guy is 33, and has never shown anything much in his career, with the exception of some very poor judgement both on and off the field. So what has gotten into him? He's having a terrific season in winter ball. He's doing it primarily off right handed pitching, with 19 of his 21 homers off righties.
Those are some serious offensive numbers that he's putting up.

He has 21 homers, and 58 RBI's, in just 248 AB's. He also has a .374 OBP

Could he have finally figured it out?

caulfield12
01-07-2007, 08:12 AM
I noticed the article in MLB.com on Rivera. They guy is 33, and has never shown anything much in his career, with the exception of some very poor judgement both on and off the field. So what has gotten into him? He's having a terrific season in winter ball. He's doing it primarily off right handed pitching, with 19 of his 21 homers off righties.
Those are some serious offensive numbers that he's putting up.

He has 21 homers, and 58 RBI's, in just 248 AB's. He also has a .374 OBP

Could he have finally figured it out?

He was the best prospect in the South Atlantic League in 1994, I saw him before he hurt his arm/shoulder...he was the best all-around prospect at that time and had an arm almost the equal of Vladdy.

Most scouts had him ranked up there with Guerrero, above Dye (who played for Macon) and also ahead of Ordonez. The only one that they liked more was Andruw Jones, because he was only 17/18 and playing A ball. He would end up all the way in the WS within two years.

Rivera is just a journeyman/AAA filler now. He MIGHT be given a shot to beat out Terrero, but its been at least 2-3 years since he was considered a legitimate big leaguer. We'll see.

Lillian
01-08-2007, 03:29 AM
How is his arm now? Can he throw? Is he an adequate defensive center fielder? Could he be the backup center fielder, for whom we have all been clamoring, to replace Anderson, in the event of an injury, or another miserable offensive start?

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 07:00 AM
How is his arm now? Can he throw? Is he an adequate defensive center fielder? Could he be the backup center fielder, for whom we have all been clamoring, to replace Anderson, in the event of an injury, or another miserable offensive start?

Theoretically, he could, but it would be something like Heath Phillips winning the fifth starter's spot. It's not something we WANT to see, that's for sure. I think everyone in the organization is pulling for Terrero.

He did play CF in SD, if I remember correctly, 2-3 seasons ago.

Lillian
01-08-2007, 09:19 AM
I'm pulling for Terrero too. He's a genuine 5 tool prospect, and still young enough to have a future. Well, both of them just prove that "tools" don't mean much until they translate into performance, right?

However, you do have to take a second look at any guy who can hit 21 homers in less than half a season. I suspect the Sox will give Rivera a chance to demonstrate that it isn't a fluke.

caulfield12
01-08-2007, 11:24 AM
I'm pulling for Terrero too. He's a genuine 5 tool prospect, and still young enough to have a future. Well, both of them just prove that "tools" don't mean much until they translate into performance, right?

However, you do have to take a second look at any guy who can hit 21 homers in less than half a season. I suspect the Sox will give Rivera a chance to demonstrate that it isn't a fluke.

We'll see, he's going to be five years' removed from an MLB season where he had 158 at-bats. And I don't put a lot of stock in Winter League statistics because the pitching is inferior and many of the parks are like Charlotte or smaller.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3342

Lillian
01-12-2007, 11:55 AM
The following article suggests that Rivera is still hitting. I would think that he'll get a pretty long look in Spring Training. He looks like he's in pretty good shape.
He now has 23 homers, in approximately half a season. Even if it is just winter ball, and even if the parks may be a little small, those are still some pretty impressive stats. There are a lot of big league players on those teams, and I don't see any of them producing like Rivera has. He certainly has performed a lot better than our other alternative, Terrero.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070111&content_id=1777279&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

rdivaldi
01-12-2007, 03:03 PM
The following article suggests that Rivera is still hitting. I would think that he'll get a pretty long look in Spring Training. He looks like he's in pretty good shape.
He now has 23 homers, in approximately half a season. Even if it is just winter ball, and even if the parks may be a little small, those are still some pretty impressive stats. There are a lot of big league players on those teams, and I don't see any of them producing like Rivera has. He certainly has performed a lot better than our other alternative, Terrero.

Actually there are very few legitimate big leaguers playing down there. I doubt Rivera will get much more than a quick glimpse by KW and Ozzie before they turn their heads and take a much longer look at one of our younger alternatives. Guys playing in their mid 30's for extended time in winter ball do that for a reason...

Lillian
01-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Actually there are very few legitimate big leaguers playing down there. I doubt Rivera will get much more than a quick glimpse by KW and Ozzie before they turn their heads and take a much longer look at one of our younger alternatives. Guys playing in their mid 30's for extended time in winter ball do that for a reason...

You're right. I checked the rosters of the teams in that league, and there aren't nearly as many major Leaguers as you'd find in some of the other winter leagues. However, among those few players with big league experience, no one else seems to have done all that well, except Erubiel Durazo. But then he always could hit.

ondafarm
01-16-2007, 02:58 AM

It depends on how you rate winter ball as well.