PDA

View Full Version : Strikeouts

thomas35forever
01-05-2007, 02:29 PM
A guy called in to Mike Murphy this afternoon asking if KW is gonna do something about the high number of strikeouts Uribe, Anderson, Podsednik, and even Iguchi have been having. Well, I did some research and took the number of strikeouts by our regular lineup last season and divided that by their number of at-bats. Here's what I got:

Podsednik: 18%
Iguchi: 20%
Thome: 30%
Konerko: 18%
Dye: 22%
Pierzynski: 14%
Crede: 11%
Uribe: 18%
Anderson: 25%

I can understand Anderson's high percentage being his rookie year and all, but I found Iguchi, Thome, and Dye's K percentages to be particularly high. What's your take on this?

Chez
01-05-2007, 02:32 PM
If Dye, Thome and Gooch put up the same numbers in 2007 as they did in 2006, I can live with the strikeouts!!

Madvora
01-05-2007, 02:35 PM
A guy called in to Mike Murphy this afternoon asking if KW is gonna do something about the high number of strikeouts
He asked Murphy about this?

Thome as that type of hitter is expected to have higher strikeout totals, not that it's a good thing, but that's just usually the way it works with big homerun hitter types. It's cool seeing these numbers, but I don't know what they mean in relation to other players in the game.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 02:37 PM
A guy called in to Mike Murphy this afternoon asking if KW is gonna do something about the high number of strikeouts Uribe, Anderson, Podsednik, and even Iguchi have been having. Well, I did some research and took the number of strikeouts by our regular lineup last season and divided that by their number of at-bats. Here's what I got:

Podsednik: 18%
Iguchi: 20%
Thome: 30%
Konerko: 18%
Dye: 22%
Pierzynski: 14%
Crede: 11%
Uribe: 18%
Anderson: 25%

I can understand Anderson's high percentage being his rookie year and all, but I found Iguchi, Thome, and Dye's K percentages to be particularly high. What's your take on this?

You are forgetting that guys like Iguchi, Dye, and especially Thome, draw a lot of walks, therefore lowering their at-bat numbers, and increasing the percentage of K's to AB.

thomas35forever
01-05-2007, 02:39 PM
You are forgetting that guys like Iguchi, Dye, and especially Thome, draw a lot of walks, therefore lowering their at-bat numbers, and increasing the percentage of K's to AB.
Yeah, I probably should have done plate appearances instead of at-bats.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I probably should have done plate appearances instead of at-bats.

Just do a cursory glance at OBP, and you'll see why guys like Dye, Thome, and Iguchi can get away with striking out around 100 times a season, and why guys like Uribe and Anderson can't.

esbrechtel
01-05-2007, 02:49 PM
crede's numbers were pretty impressive last year compared to in the past...

oeo
01-05-2007, 03:05 PM
crede's numbers were pretty impressive last year compared to in the past...

Crede has never really been a big strikeout guy (if that's what you're referring to).

ND_Sox_Fan
01-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Crede does a great job fouling pitches off to avoid the K. I think he has gotten better and better at that as well - which is why he is there at 11%.

mcg
01-05-2007, 03:32 PM
K's/Plate Appearance:

Pods: 16.2%
Iguchi: 17.5%
Thome: 24.1%
PK: 16.2%
Dye: 19.3%
AJ: 13.3%
Crede: 9.9%
Uribe: 16.6%
BA: 22.2%

Thome's percentage is really the only one that dropped significantly.

southwstchi4life
01-05-2007, 04:59 PM
He asked Murphy about this?

Thome as that type of hitter is expected to have higher strikeout totals, not that it's a good thing, but that's just usually the way it works with big homerun hitter types. It's cool seeing these numbers, but I don't know what they mean in relation to other players in the game.

I agree, The Thome stat did n ot surprise me. I figured going into the season he would have a high percentage. The only thing the frustrates me with thome is him hitting against leftys. He really struggled against leftys this year.

Bob G
01-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Thome's high SO percentage is not surprising - you can look at his career stats. When we picked up Thome last year I compared his stats with the Big Hurt and it really made me appreciate Frank even more when I saw his low SO percentage for a power hitter.