PDA

View Full Version : ESPN on the state of the Yankees

maurice
01-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Cashman admits, "There are question marks, and they're real," especially now that he's traded 205 veteran IP to Arizona. The author speculates that the Yankees think that the top FA pitchers are overpriced and may have to rely on guys who never have held down a spot in a MLB rotation. After repeatedly getting burned on big $$$ FA pitchers in years past, the Yankees have been letting them go to other teams and stockpiling young, cheap talent.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2721076)

Multiple pre-season question marks? Dumping "proven veterans" to create holes in the rotation? Refusal to overpay bloated FA prices? Stockpiling young talent?

Are we really talking about the Yankees, or those "disgraceful" White Sox who inisist on "acting like a small market team"?

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 02:20 PM
Who is the rotation for the Yankees right now?

Obviously Wang, Mussina, Kei Igawa...then you have P. Hughes, Pavano, Rasner, Sanchez (Tigers) and Karstens.

If Hughes and Pavano pitch to their potential, they SHOULD be very solid. This is Igawa's first year in the majors and he's certainly considered to be a "second tier" Japanese starter, so I don't think you can really count on him at this point, any more than the White Sox and their fifth spot.

ewokpelts
01-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Who is the rotation for the Yankees right now?

Obviously Wang, Mussina, Kei Igawa...then you have P. Hughes, Pavano, Rasner, Sanchez (Tigers) and Karstens.

If Hughes and Pavano pitch to their potential, they SHOULD be very solid. This is Igawa's first year in the majors and he's certainly considered to be a "second tier" Japanese starter, so I don't think you can really count on him at this point, any more than the White Sox and their fifth spot.you forgot pettite

ewokpelts
01-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Cashman admits, "There are question marks, and they're real," especially now that he's traded 205 veteran IP to Arizona. The author speculates that the Yankees think that the top FA pitchers are overpriced and may have to rely on guys who never have held down a spot in a MLB rotation. After repeatedly getting burned on big $$$ FA pitchers in years past, the Yankees have been letting them go to other teams and stockpiling young, cheap talent.

Linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=klapisch_bob&id=2721076)

Multiple pre-season question marks? Dumping "proven veterans" to create holes in the rotation? Refusal to overpay bloated FA prices? Stockpiling young talent?

Are we really talking about the Yankees, or those "disgraceful" White Sox who inisist on "acting like a small market team"?there has been talk that uncle george is close to stepping away from day to day operations, and that cashman will have more power to run the team his way, and not have to keep getting overpriced over the hill players to satisfy the ny press and uncle george. this may or may not be a first step.

caulfield12
01-05-2007, 02:40 PM
you forgot pettite

Yep, I looked through the Yankees' current roster and he wasn't listed for some reason.

It should be an interesting battle in the AL East this year, you have to give the Yankees the edge right now due to the continuity of the position players, but you still have some major question marks getting to Rivera.

Bruney was claimed off waivers (I think) and became one of their best pitchers in set-up after Proctor and Farnsworth.

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I still like the Yankees to run away with that division. They can outslug just about any team out there, and if they can manage to give up anything less than 5 runs in a game, that's most likely going to result in a win for them.

Also, compared to the rest of the division, their pitching is still pretty good. Boston's rotation is probably better at this point, though I still want to see Matsuzaka pitch to MLB hitters. Toronto is in trouble after Halladay, Baltimore should be better with a year under Mazzone, but still have work to do, and TB is still TB. I think the Yankees stack up well against their competition, despite losing the Unit.

And I think Sanchez plays a key role for them this year. That kid is going to be a good one.

oeo
01-05-2007, 03:13 PM
For the first time in a long time, it actually looks like the Yankees are being smart. That may not bring them a championship next year, but maybe they've finally realized they can't just buy a bunch of All Stars, throw them together and win. OTOH, the Red Sox continue to dig a hole.

South Side Irish
01-05-2007, 09:15 PM
For the first time in a long time, it actually looks like the Yankees are being smart. That may not bring them a championship next year, but maybe they've finally realized they can't just buy a bunch of All Stars, throw them together and win. OTOH, the Red Sox continue to dig a hole.

I agree 100%. Randy Johnson hasn't done well in NY, and returning to the NL means he can regrow a mullet and K 315 AAAA leaguers.

The Yanks have rebuilt their farm system pretty well through trading Sheff, RJ and such, and I agree that they're being smart. Granted, it's ironic that they're bitching about the bloated FA market that they laid the foundation for during the early 2000's. They should be pretty good with all that young talent.

South Side Irish
01-05-2007, 09:15 PM
****, double post.

FedEx227
01-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Kudos to the Yankees and Cashmen for finally learning how to run a baseball team outside of "I like him, let's get him".

SABRSox
01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
Granted, it's ironic that they're bitching about the bloated FA market that they laid the foundation for during the early 2000's. They should be pretty good with all that young talent.

Well, at least they've learned from their mistakes. Now a bunch of other clubs are doomed to repeat them.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 11:26 PM
there has been talk that uncle george is close to stepping away from day to day operations, and that cashman will have more power to run the team his way, and not have to keep getting overpriced over the hill players to satisfy the ny press and uncle george. this may or may not be a first step.

I don't believe this.

palehozenychicty
01-05-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't believe this.

Actually, it is somewhat true. The past couple of seasons, The Boss has not been attending as many games up in the Bronx, and generates headlines when he does show up for games. He's been spending a lot more time in Tampa, where he gets involved, but not with the same intensity of the past due to recent health incidents. His son-in-law, Steve Swindal, is the groomed successor, and has presided over the daily operations of the club.

itsnotrequired
01-05-2007, 11:48 PM
Actually, it is somewhat true. The past couple of seasons, The Boss has not been attending as many games up in the Bronx, and generates headlines when he does show up for games. He's been spending a lot more time in Tampa, where he gets involved, but not with the same intensity of the past due to recent health incidents. His son-in-law, Steve Swindal, is the groomed successor, and has presided over the daily operations of the club.

I know all this but I don't doubt that The Boss will step in and throw his weight around if he feels he should. He's done it before.

VenturaIsAGod
01-06-2007, 01:18 AM
My guess is they also get Clemens, and I think it could be for the whole year. I hate that guy.

ewokpelts
01-06-2007, 01:53 AM
Actually, it is somewhat true. The past couple of seasons, The Boss has not been attending as many games up in the Bronx, and generates headlines when he does show up for games. He's been spending a lot more time in Tampa, where he gets involved, but not with the same intensity of the past due to recent health incidents. His son-in-law, Steve Swindal, is the groomed successor, and has presided over the daily operations of the club.The Story I heard is that uncle george will stay" in charge" to open up new yankee stadium, then step aside. His Kids take over the chairman/ceo positions, and elevate Cashman to Prez.
I've also heard that Torre may get bumped upstairs to GM, and that he'll try and groom a successor to his job by then.

Again, this is not "confirmed", but what I've heard from various sources.
Gene

Paulwny
01-08-2007, 02:31 PM
My guess is they also get Clemens, and I think it could be for the whole year. I hate that guy.

Agree, Clemens will probably end up in NY.
Of all the guys to compmlain, Cashman, one of the culprits in the long term contracts to fa pitchers. He and his over hyped scouting staff made huge mistakes and now he complains about money and length of contracts to fa pitchers.
Give me a break !!!!!!

ewokpelts
01-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Agree, Clemens will probably end up in NY.
Of all the guys to compmlain, Cashman, one of the culprits in the long term contracts to fa pitchers. He and his over hyped scouting staff made huge mistakes and now he complains about money and length of contracts to fa pitchers.
Give me a break !!!!!!musinna is pretty much the only pitcher he's acquired in the fa market. pretty much everyone else was through trades(i'm excluding pettite 2007 since he did come to the yankees originally as a prospect)

Paulwny
01-08-2007, 02:46 PM
musinna is pretty much the only pitcher he's acquired in the fa market. pretty much everyone else was through trades(i'm excluding pettite 2007 since he did come to the yankees originally as a prospect)

It's not the last few years, it's been over the last 10 yrs, Clemens and Cone come to mind plus the fact that they were probably the only team willing to pick up the remainder of Randy Johnson's contract with a trade. It's been part of the yankees' history that may have started with the fa signing of Catfish Hunter many years ago.